Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1569489 - 04/20/18 02:44 PM Help.......my VS loads then is.stuck
ANAYV Offline
Planeteer

Loc: USA
Hi All.....was loading a few.songs from.CDR to my VS184CD.

3 songs were on the disc....2 loaded fine...the third.didn't.

So I load one of.the two.songs.......and the VS is frozen..locked...no buttons do.anything. \:\(

Tried.rebooting....same.thing...it says IDE drive ok
....then loads same.song.....and.freezes up

Anyone know.what.to.do ??

Thanks!
ANAYV

Edited by ANAYV (04/20/18 04:01 PM)

#1570204 - 05/01/18 04:09 AM Re: Help.......my VS loads then is.stuck [Re: ANAYV]
jerry1d Offline
Planeteer

Try switching drive partitions and load a different song from there. Perform machine diags with service boot procedure. Reload the VS1680's OS and try again.
#1570206 - 05/01/18 04:55 AM Re: Help.......my VS loads then is.stuck [Re: jerry1d]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
If the machine doesn't load the song completely, there's no way to switch drive partitions. If the song loads and the VS does NOT freeze, then erasing the song, or changing partitions would probably clear up the issue. If the machine boots up all the way and allows some maneuvering, then Drive Check could be run as well, which would potentially clear up any corruption on the drive.

If the machine freezes, then there's no chance to do any of those tasks, including performing diagnostics, unless there's a special command (button press) that would take it there before normal boot - Try pressing/holding the Solo/Mute and Mstr buttons while starting the machine with the power button on the rear. This is supposed to force a reset to partition 0 (zero).

Press/hold Trk/Status and Ch-5 while powering up to get to test mode. Although I'm not sure what test mode will get you other than a few checks. It's not really a test and resolve sort of thing.

Don't try to erase or reformat your drive in either the VS or a PC, unless you don't mind losing everything that's on the drive - this includes all partitions.

#1570307 - 05/02/18 12:17 PM Re: Help.......my VS loads then is.stuck [Re: jerry1d]
ANAYV Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: jerry1d
Try switching drive partitions and load a different song from there. Perform machine diags with service boot procedure. Reload the VS1680's OS and try again.

Thanks Jerry. Since the machine locks up...can't load another song, switch to another partition, etc. No button presses would do anything...so only one choice..

...power it down. Can't do proper shutdown, either.

I did manage to take out the HD, and load another one in. Of course its fine now...well....

I think it was the HD locking up, or the sond didnt fully load.

I spent hrs backing up songs from original VS1880 drive when first treceived this VS1824CD.

So glad I did. Reloaded the old drive in VS1824 recently andit worked fine.....then when I powered it up later that day...scanning IDE Drive said "NG"

Took it out and apart...yep hardware failure...its dead.

I guess 18 years is a long time for a HDD 😀
Using a Toshiba 4200RPM 20GB HD. Seems to be fine.
Reloaded 16 songs from CD-R and recording on it.

I have an IDE to SD converter coming. Hope that works .

ANAYV

#1570308 - 05/02/18 12:44 PM Re: Help.......my VS loads then is.stuck [Re: uptildawn]
ANAYV Offline
Planeteer

[quote=uptildawn]If the machine doesn't load the song completely, there's no way to switch drive partitions. If the song loads and the VS does NOT freeze, then erasing the song, or changing partitions would probably clear up the issue. If the machine boots up all the way and allows some maneuvering, then Drive Check could be run as well, which would potentially clear up any corruption on the drive.

If the machine freezes, then there's no chance to do any of those tasks, including performing diagnostics, unless there's a special command (button press) that would take it there before normal boot - Try pressing/holding the Solo/Mute and Mstr buttons while starting the machine with the power button on the rear. This is supposed to force a reset to partition 0 (zero).

Press/hold Trk/Status and Ch-5 while powering up to get to test mode. Although I'm not sure what test mode will get you other than a few checks. It's not really a test and resolve sort of thing.

Don't try to erase or reformat your drive in either the VS or a PC, unless you don't mind losing everything that's on the drive - this includes all partitions.

[/quote]
Thanks for these tips Dan!
Good to know.

It seems the HD was failing...it was the original, and now 18 years old ( what's that in Dog years , lol)

Installed new Toshiba 20GB 4200GB drive....so far working good. Loaded over 15 songs, plus added tracks to a song..not quite the true test...also played back " Seems So Right " DEMO (16 tracks) .
I also have a IDE 44 pin to SDHC card adapter coming. I will install this and see how/ if it works. Will update.

Thanks again!

ANAYV

#1570310 - 05/02/18 01:27 PM Re: Help.......my VS loads then is.stuck [Re: ANAYV]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

that 4200rpm drive might be sluggish when loaded up with songs and many tracks.
A 5400, or 7200 would be much better in the VS.
just suggesting - you probably won't care after the conversion. \:\)

#1570771 - 05/07/18 12:25 PM Re: Help.......my VS loads then is.stuck [Re: uptildawn]
ANAYV Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: uptildawn
that 4200rpm drive might be sluggish when loaded up with songs and many tracks.
A 5400, or 7200 would be much better in the VS.
just suggesting - you probably won't care after the conversion. \:\)

I figured it wqs risky with the slow RPM. It does have 8MB onboard.

I'm looking at another drive (40GB) . It has 5400rpm and 16MB onboard memory.

At these cheap prices, I'd like to have a few drives, even if the SD card retro thing works.

My VS 840GX has been modified, and can use SD or CF cards. Worked better than the OEM zip drives, as " drive busy" would show up more often on the original Zip drive, but never with the flash drives .

SD conversion card should come next day or two...I'll post back the results

I always look forward to your replies Dan!

So glad when I canme back seen your still here.
I appreciate you...and the fact that you really dont use the VS's yet still come here and help out so many .

Thanks Dan!!!

#1570779 - 05/07/18 03:10 PM Re: Help.......my VS loads then is.stuck [Re: ANAYV]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I was always skeptical about the zip drive as an internal drive for the 840. I'm glad you got a flash drive conversion for that one... makes a lot of sense. I hope the conversion for the 1824 goes smoothly, too.

Are you making an external access for the flash drives? I know for many that could be a very big task, but I'm sure it would be worth it. Or maybe that's been your plan all along?

Funny, I've never concerned myself with the onboard cache size of the hard drives I use for the VS - must be because they never mentioned it in their spec requirements and I just wasn't really very aware of what a hard drive needed back then, anyway. The only spec I've ever really concerned myself with for the VS is that access time of 13ms or less that Roland always stressed. I imagine pretty much any hd we pick up today has that spec covered, even most older used and refurbished drives. I'm still pretty clueless, though. \:\)

#1570782 - 05/07/18 03:55 PM Re: Help.......my VS loads then is.stuck [Re: uptildawn]
ANAYV Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: uptildawn
I was always skeptical about the zip drive as an internal drive for the 840.

It did work...but 8 tracks was pushing it a bit. Song Optimize helped a bit with that.
Being only 8 tracks, and 2 track record, plus after experiencing 24bit MTP recording mode, and 24 bit converters.....hard to pick up the 840.
Shame as they were in FAT 16 . Just pull out CF/ SD card, put it in card reader for PC...and backup the files.

No softwqre needed. !

I'm glad you got a flash drive conversion for that one... makes a lot of sense. I hope the conversion for the 1824 goes smoothly, too.

Thanks Dan!
Just received the adapter now. Debating on trying in VS 1880...or VS 1824.
1824 will be easy to install, no caddy....just 8 screws.

Are you making an external access for the flash drives?

Not at this time. Main goal is using it to record. Will use the built in CDR burner to make backups. So far two different Blank CD brands work great.

I know for many that could be a very big task, but I'm sure it would be worth it. Or maybe that's been your plan all along?

Well, don't want to invest too much in backup, Virdis, SCSI or other at this time.

Funny, I've never concerned myself with the onboard cache size of the hard drives I use for the VS - must be because they never mentioned it in their spec requirements and I just wasn't really very aware of what a hard drive needed back then, anyway. The only spec I've ever really concerned myself with for the VS is that access time of 13ms or less that Roland always stressed. I imagine pretty much any hd we pick up today has that spec covered, even most older used and refurbished drives. I'm still pretty clueless, though. \:\)

I think the extra cache helps as a buffer and should mean slightly less access time to the drive , as it continually reads or records.

Speaking of hard drives...I dropped the one that came with the VS1824 \:\(
Didnt spin up after that....but did that stop me?
Nope....lol. Took it apart, moved the stylis/ arm whatever its called , and spun the disc a bit.

Put it in the VS...and now , instead of NG....it says OK,
Might try to load a few more songs on it...but I assume any time it can fail.

Off to put in the adapter. I have a Lexar 16GB SDHC card. Not sure to format it on PC. I will erase all files on it ( used for digital camera) ...then perhaps install and let the VS format it. I dont think physical format is a good idea with these flash cards, so for now wont do that.

Be back soon!

ANAYV

Edited by ANAYV (05/07/18 04:55 PM)

#1570787 - 05/07/18 05:10 PM Re: Help.......my VS loads then is.stuck [Re: ANAYV]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Yeah, just format it on the pc as you would for a floppy - so you erase all the camera stuff on it.
Initialize on the VS with physical format and surface scan turned OFF (or however it's called - which I've forgotten at the moment). Use largest available partition size.

I agree that the dropped hd might be really iffy from now on. Maybe good for a quick transfer of files between pcs not on a network now and then, though.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159869 Topics
1850851 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.034 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.