Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1585264 - 09/18/18 03:26 AM Eagles concert this past weekend
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Loc: California
I was conflicted about going. The boss at our company bought 26 tickets and provided a swanky tour buss ride down to the LA Forum. I wasn't planning on going. There were mixed emotions about seeing the band without my cousin standing out there. I'd seen the Eagles many times since 1972. Glenn was always the frontman. I was always proud of him, and they were a big part of my musical influence, a significant role in my own musical pursuits.

I changed my mind and went. It didn't cost anything monetarily.

Wow, what a show. The eagles have always been an excellent band, very precise, almost to a fault. There's something about those vocal chords they hit at the apex of their songs that transcends time, takes you back to the first time those songs affected you. Other harmony bands may have had something less contrived but never as consistently delivered. I'd have to say that the dynamics of what they can do live cannot make it on the records, it's something you have to witness live.

Even if you didn't dig them, there is a synergy that happens on those hooks that lifts everyone. You could feel it in the room. Time was suspended back to the 1970s. The sound systems and delivery are now better, but there is very little to notice that's different about a near 70 year old Don Henley, a thinner haired Timmothy B Schmidt, a crazy loose Joe Walsh riffing on a Strat, compared to their 30-something selves.

What can you say about Vince Gill filling in for Glenn on the higher register Glenn songs? It's effortless, and dead on in pitch, but not robotic. There's an Oklahoma personality there. I LOVE me some Vince Gill, and he seemed to love being in this role, playing those songs everyone identifies with.

Deacon Frey, Glenn's 20-something son? Talk about being thrust into a tough situation. Nobody that ever set foot on an Eagles stage was a poser. If you donned a guitar, it better be the right part, if you sang, it better be the harmony. No posers in this band. He was naive, shy charming cool. He's been working really hard at catching up. The guitar solo to Already Gone on the black Les Paul Special? Right on the money. The vocals? One half Glenn, the other his own vibe. He looks like Glenn did a bit, but with an Orlando Bloom 'Pirates' charm handsomeness.

They opened cold with Seven bridges road. Then three hours of non stop songs. At the end of each song there was maybe 7 seconds of dead quiet time then bam, right into Take it easy or another hit. Five piece horn section, and a string quartet joined them at a few times. A wonderful set, lighting and video support was tastefully done to not draw attention away from the songs. Loved it.

"We lost a brother, and a father...but gained a son" ...Don Henley said. The stage went black as Glenn's picture went up. That was emotional. The whole venue felt the loss with the band. The Lone Arranger was gone, but his legacy still lived.

I went back stage after to chat with a couple family members, and others who I know. But, I didn't hang long. It was time to go back to reality, back home with my wife, to the litter boxes and ants invading our house! For 45+ years I've been lucky to have seen every incarnation of the Eagles, from opening for Jethro Tull in 1972 to this concert. Lots of memories, some wonderful stories to tell ...

There are indeed stars in the southern sky, and a taste of time sweet & honey

Edited by motown59 (09/18/18 03:54 AM)

"I love what you guys are trying to do up there" ...from an audience member at one of my gigs.
Gear: Fender Medium pick

#1585267 - 09/18/18 03:47 AM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: motown59]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Apologies for my long and personal post which could simply be "I went to to an Eagles concert" post. It's hard to share some of these feelings and experiences with a lot of the people in my life. I figured this Planet world of friends and fellow music types would understand my excess verbiage...

"I love what you guys are trying to do up there" ...from an audience member at one of my gigs.

#1585270 - 09/18/18 03:57 AM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: motown59]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
 Originally Posted By: motown59
Apologies for my long and personal post which could simply be "I went to to an Eagles concert" post. It's hard to share some of these feelings and experiences with a lot of the people in my life. I figured this Planet world of friends and fellow music types would understand my excess verbiage...

AND " saw them in 72 with Ian Anderson ~~!" Add that too --wow Lucky Man

Timmothy B Schmidt & Randy Meisner --still my FAV voices .. Who else can achieve those hi notes on >> Take It To The Limit

Edited by C Jo Go (09/18/18 05:44 AM)

#1585277 - 09/18/18 05:12 AM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: C Jo Go]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

Not at all mT59. dig that reflection. Good stuff!

#1585280 - 09/18/18 05:35 AM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Webster]
flatcat Administrator Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Westborough, MA, USA
That must have been very emotional for you. Thank you for sharing your experience - or trying to. It seems to me like you have a lot of feelings, but it's ... sometimes really hard to say the things inside.

Peace.

Professor Truth T. Sweetness says,"Mind your manners!"

#1585281 - 09/18/18 05:44 AM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: motown59]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

I think this is the best thing I've ever read that you've written.

#1585282 - 09/18/18 06:44 AM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Slabraton]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Sure was fan in the 70's -- got burnt on all top 40 -- pretty much .. But throw a Eagle tune in every few years > still turn of the dial ..

#1585301 - 09/18/18 04:26 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: C Jo Go]
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
Great review, kel!

As you all know, I'm not much of a fan of Henley as a person, but as a musician, songwriter, and specifically vocalist, he's untouchable.

I saw Eagles about two years ago, and Uncle Joe just gets better and better every time I see him. Just when you think he can't pull anything funnier and less expected out of those strings, he'll do it.

And I'd LOVE to see Vince Gill performing with them!

#1585304 - 09/18/18 04:34 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: C Jo Go]
Dan Barnes Offline
I sing, I love, I love to sing.
Planeteer

Loc: Joshua Tree, CA USA
I could never understand why so many diss The Eagles. There are very few songs of theirs I don't love.

#1585332 - 09/18/18 07:12 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Dan Barnes]
amiller Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Wilmington DE
If the Eagles come on my radio the volume always goes up.

#1585339 - 09/18/18 07:43 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: amiller]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Really enjoyed their ballads -- harmonies /crafting .. not into the rock tunes >> but classic songs

#1585351 - 09/18/18 08:47 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: C Jo Go]
Doug C Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 78
Planeteer

Loc: Clayton, California
Glad you went. I just read that Glen's old partner (mentor?) Bob Seger is starting his final tour. End of an era.

#1585354 - 09/18/18 08:53 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Doug C]
Arthur Offline
WaffleMan
Planeteer

Loc: a Mac of some kind

#1585360 - 09/18/18 09:33 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Arthur]
JazAddict Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The West Coast of Florida
Good golly man... Here, watch:

"Saw the eagles. It was good"

I kid of course. Loved the read.

#1585463 - 09/19/18 05:43 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Doug C]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Doug C
Glad you went. I just read that Glen's old partner (mentor?) Bob Seger is starting his final tour. End of an era.

Yea, Seger is on his last tour. He was Glenn's mentor on a lot of levels. Glenn sang on Bob's first single on Capitol . Ramblin Gamblin man. He's a nice man and I've always admired him, loved lots of his music

#1585466 - 09/19/18 05:45 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: motown59]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

… and I've already expressed my opinion on Bob Seger.

#1585468 - 09/19/18 05:46 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: JazAddict]
grachus Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 92
Planeteer

Loc: burlington ont, canada
cool. my wife saw them a few months back in Toronto. she loved it. I wasn't there because she went with a friend. she said she knew every song. I was like we'll yes it's the Eagles.

#1585469 - 09/19/18 05:51 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: grachus]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: grachus
cool. my wife saw them a few months back in Toronto. she loved it. I wasn't there because she went with a friend. she said she knew every song. I was like we'll yes it's the Eagles.

Joe got in four of his own solo career songs, Henley did "Boys of Summer". Vince Gill did "Don't let our love start slipping' away" and the rest were Eagles.

Weird and cool: Hotel Ca started with just a trumpet solo, unmuted and muted, with verb and delay over the implied changes to Hotel…

#1585470 - 09/19/18 05:54 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: motown59]
Doug C Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 78
Planeteer

Loc: Clayton, California
 Quote:
Yea, Seger is on his last tour. He was Glenn's mentor on a lot of levels. Glenn sang on Bob's first single on Capitol . Ramblin Gamblin man. He's a nice man and I've always admired him, loved lots of his music

I had that 45 when I was in grade school. It was a regional hit in the midwest. The Bob Seger System. Played the hell out of that thing. I had no idea that Glen was on it until the documentary came out.

#1585472 - 09/19/18 06:00 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Doug C]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

yea, A pretty big to-do in Detroit was that single. We were excited to hear it on the radio. Through Seger and Punch, Glenn got introduced to a lot of how things work in bands, studio ...and some of the temptations too.

#1585473 - 09/19/18 06:02 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: motown59]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Weird and cool: Hotel Ca started with just a trumpet solo, unmuted and muted, with verb and delay over the implied changes to Hotel…
I saw an Eagles video with something like that a while back. Loved it!

and fwiw, that prompted me to use the melody from the Adagio movement of Concerto de Aranjuez as a starting point for our version of Hotel California. I know all of you recognize it, if not by name necessarily.

#1585480 - 09/19/18 06:24 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Mooseboy]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
Awesome write up, kel. Oddly, I have never seen The Eagles live; however, as Moose mentioned, I have watched video and they are a seriously great band.

Congrats ... and I hope seeing the family, for however short a time was nice (I bet the ants were happy you came home. \:\) ).

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1585516 - 09/19/18 10:37 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: MadGuitrst]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico ...
Fantastic read, wish there been there with you! Did Vince hold his own guitar Wise?

#1585520 - 09/19/18 11:05 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Jazzooo]
ickalien Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Denver
I did a band reunion about 7 years ago and we were talking about all the bands we saw together back in the mid 70's. The guys were talking about the Eagles at Redrocks and I said I missed that one and had never seen the Eagles. The keyboard player looked at me strangely , got up and went to his photo albums, thumbed through a few, stopped and came over to me. There I was, in the 10th row, no shirt on clapping for the frikin Eagles!!!! WOW!

#1585539 - 09/20/18 12:52 AM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: ickalien]
Spikerama Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Oklahoma
Great story, Motown.

Doug, I wasn't there but I'm sure Vince Gill held his own. Plus, he is so good, if he couldn't have held his own- he wouldn't play.

MySpace instrumentals

Chicken Pickin' and other assorted videos (Youtube)

--------------------------------------------------

#1585543 - 09/20/18 01:02 AM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Spikerama]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Oh man… not to demean Eagles as a band, but Vince Gill could hold his own with a band twice as good. If indeed, there were such a thing!

Seeing Vince and Joe onstage together was like a dream come true I'll bet. At least it would be for me.

#1585557 - 09/20/18 02:49 AM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Mooseboy]
Doofie Offline
Doofie
Planeteer

Loc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
For me The Eagles and Vince Gill is a combo made in heaven.
-Seneca The Younger ~76AD

I'm David McMillan. My friends call me Chuck.

#1585611 - 09/20/18 02:36 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Doofie]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Vince Gill was more of a role player in the Eagles. He did not solo, except on the one song of his own. He hit many different harmony parts throughout the night and sang a handful of leads, like Heartache tonight, Take it to the limit, Lyin eyes, New kid in town. Those are sort of the Glenn Frey roles to fill along with Glenn's son Deacon.

Every song was in its original key except Seven bridges road, which was down a step to C. That had Five acoustics up front and came in cold right with that vocal Chord on “There's a ...”

Yea, Vince is a fantastic player on anything with strings but he was part guy.

The Eagles have had Steuart Smith as their “Felder” and other parts guy for over 15 years now. Him and Scott Crago are the two expert side men handling guitars (and drums when Henley comes out front). Henley also played percussion a handful of times while Crago sat at the kit.

Interesting double neck guitar Smith had for Hotel Ca. Looked to be upside down from the typical SG style DN guitars we see.

Edited by motown59 (09/20/18 02:38 PM)

#1585613 - 09/20/18 02:41 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: motown59]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Upside down in that the 12 string neck was on the bottom?

#1585614 - 09/20/18 02:42 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Mooseboy]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Yup, and a weird headstock I couldn’t make out. But he’s an Ernie Ball guy and they make some custom stuffs

#1585615 - 09/20/18 02:43 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Mooseboy]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Oh, yeah! This is what he's using, I think:

#1585616 - 09/20/18 02:44 PM Re: Eagles concert this past weekend [Re: Mooseboy]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

You know, if I had another double neck 6/12 (had a Dano, but had to sell it since it was too heavy!) I'd like the 6 on top, too.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159869 Topics
1850863 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.032 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.