Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1591180 - 11/03/18 09:27 AM Connecting VirDIS to laptops
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Loc: Riding Indiana Waves of Audio
I am currently communicating with Bill via e-mail - but it will be Monday (or later before he gets back to me...)

I had a desktop with a VirDIS years ago - but when the desktop died - I sold the VirDIS.
And my original cd/rw for the 880 died years ago also.

In the meantime...
How does the newer versions of VirDIS connect to laptops?

I am also communicating with uptildawn about this on the VS 880EX forum.

I have several cd back-ups that I would like to re-load into my 880.

I have converted the 880 to the sd card set up - if this will not be a problem...???

But I have an older laptop that has a cd tray - its running on XP - and I have vswe.

But I would like to be able to load all saved data back into the 880.

Does anyone know what type of port the VirDIS needs to connect?

I'm not real familiar with the various connections on my older laptop - it has USB, ethernet and phone - but I don't know what the other ports are called - or what they are for.
I took a pic ---

Will any of these allow the VirDIS to connect so I can access the cd drive?

Edited by mrsinical (11/03/18 09:32 AM)

--
---------------www.customaudioproductions.com

#1591192 - 11/03/18 10:43 AM Re: Connecting VirDIS to laptops [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Iowa
good luck with that search - people have been querying that one probably ever since they first started replacing their desktops with laptops and found they could really use the old pci cards with favorite software, if only.....

Are there any other ports or slots on that laptop? Maybe there's a pcicma to pci extender or dock that could work......... if you have a pcmcia slot and if the thing actually exists for some kind of reasonable amount of cash.

2013 Iowa City JazzFest sets!
Dr Lonnie Smith Trio w/Jonathan Kreisberg on guitar
Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio
These are post mixes set to single camera video (by Rich Rauch).

#1591195 - 11/03/18 11:31 AM Re: Connecting VirDIS to laptops [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Here is what I now know - Bill explained what had happened...

I wrote to him -
"I think I was not explanatory enough about my laptop with XP that does have a cd tray.

My question, re-worded, is how does the newer virdis versions connect to a laptop?

My laptop with a cd tray has usb ports and some other port (like a very small printer type connection - I do not know what they are for or what they are called.)"

And he replied -

[Bill Casey] "You are correct – I didn’t read your email closely enough. I missed the ‘laptop’ in your 2nd to last sentence and though you had a Win10 Pro desktop – my mistake. In any case we still do NOT have anything currently for a laptop – very sorry. But if you get hold of a cheap desktop we can help.

So - uptildawn -

No - those in the pic (and usb) are the only ports.
(Well - along with the cd tray - there is one of those old style (like a small floppy disc) "card" trays too...LOL)

You said in the 880 forum that I can load the cd back up's into my cd tray - and use vswe to extract individual wav file tracks onto my computer?
I have some already mixed onto 2 stereo tracks - will these also be extractable / I'm guessing so - since they are just wav tracks too...

Edited by mrsinical (11/03/18 11:36 AM)

--

#1591197 - 11/03/18 11:40 AM Re: Connecting VirDIS to laptops [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: mrsinical
...So - uptildawn -
You said in the 880 forum that I can load the cd back up's into my cd tray - and use vswe to extract individual wav file tracks onto my computer?
I have some already mixed onto 2 stereo tracks - will these also be extractable / I'm guessing so - since they are just wav tracks too...

This needs clarification - are the tracks that are already mixed to stereo pairs still part of your backups, or are they burned to audio CDs? If they are part of a backup disc, then certainly they will be available to extract through vswe.

If you've never used vswe, or not in a really long time, then maybe you should create a new thread and ask for some direction specifically about how to use vswe. There are directions scattered around the planet forums on this (including my own, I'm sure) and you might find them with a search instead of making a new thread.

If I find the time, I might search myself, or maybe make a thread describing the process and stick it here in the VirDIS forum for future convenience... don't know, but I might try and do that.

Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio

#1591242 - 11/04/18 05:15 AM Re: Connecting VirDIS to laptops [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

I always mix down a basic "final" 2 track stereo mix of each song I record and save the song with that stereo mix on whatever available tracks I used. (and back up to cd when I had the Plextor unit)

I guess I should be able to just extract the 2 stereo mix tracks with vswe. I don't need all of the individual tracks at this time.

--

#1591260 - 11/04/18 08:50 AM Re: Connecting VirDIS to laptops [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Yeah, that's right. You will be able to check individual tracks for export from the matrix that represents your v-tracks in VSWE's window. It goes faster, if you recall which v-tracks you used for your L/R stereo mix pair, but even if you have to extract all the tracks first, it should be simple enough to figure out which is which after the fact... unless you were in the habit of create multiple alternate stereo mixes. But that could possibly make it even easier to spot, visually in the matrix - to export only those v-tracks.

The one thing to note, however, is that the 2 v-tracks you check for each song will be exported as a left and a right single track, which then need to be combined into a stereo pair again, in order to listen and burn in a standard stereo cd or wav file (or mp3, etc.)

Various software programs can easily combine and render the left and right pair into a single stereo file. In case you don't already have something in mind, a free program that can do it rather painlessly is Audacity.

Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio

#1591571 - 11/07/18 10:34 AM Re: Connecting VirDIS to laptops [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Bill - or uptildawn...

I made a folder on my desktop (1, 2, 3, 4, 5...) for each song in the list.
I open vswe. select the cd rip option. It shows the "rip command" in the box = (is this where the folder name should go?) Then I click to start the rip. When the rip is finished - it shows all of the songs on the cd in a list. - I selected the proper folder on the destination box below to extract to. After extracting the files of each song - into its designated folder - I still basically have the same "#1 track" in all folders.
However - some cd's I get the right #1 track - but most have a track that doesn't belong with that song - and I can't find the right track in any song (folder)

I think I know what the problem is... but it shouldn't be doing this...
I never named my songs - I just left them with whatever "song number" the 880 gave it when I created a new song on the unit.
So - I don't know why some back up cd's will have several #3 song "names" on them in the list.
And maybe when it rips - the several identical song names are getting fudged - I think this might be the problem...
Maybe I'm still just doing it wrong???

When I made the cd back up's - there could only be one song number per song because the VS is set up to always give new songs an unused song number - so I don't see how, or why, I'm getting multiple - identical "song numbers" on a single cd rip?

BTW - I am now using the sd card set up - but I still don't "name" the songs - I do just as I always have - I just write down what song number is what song - but - the sd card never fudges up with multiple songs when extracting...

Edited by mrsinical (11/07/18 10:43 AM)

--

#1591584 - 11/07/18 12:21 PM Re: Connecting VirDIS to laptops [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

The ripper and the exporter are two different tools, designed by two different people. The ripper was included in VSWE after a time for convenience sake. The ripper works however it works and VSWE works however it works. I don't have any personal knowledge of how exactly each program does what it does, nor do I know whether it can be modified.

I also don't know how either program deals specifically with multiple same titles (InitSong 001, as the 1680 likes to name them for instance). I DO know that in both cases it is necessary to keep each SONG separate from the others when extracting wav files - easy enough to do by simply changing the export destination folder for each song being exported with VSWE - since only one song can be exported at a time, this is simple enough.

But the ripper also requires special attention to the names given to ripped SONG folders, since it always uses exactly the same naming process for each rip it does. In fact, it is especially important to give a unique name to each ripped SONG folder before ripping another disc.

In both cases, either program can give you corrupted data, if attention is not paid to this part of the process, because they will simply overwrite any file with the same name in each repeated operation. No consideration is given to file size, for instance, or date created or modified, or any other typical Windows protocol.

Even though you "think" you know that the VS will never use the same song #, that does not stop it from using the same song # as part of the title given it -
For instance, the VS will always place SONGS in a number-ordered list and if a SONG is deleted in the middle of the list for some reason, then the next new song created will be dropped into the missing list-numbered space, regardless of the order of creation by date.

So you could have created songs one after the other - #1, #2, #3, #4. Initially the VS will put them in that same order, as well as assign the generic title containing the song number.

Let's say you have two partitions with multiple SONGS created and let's say that you eventually move SONG #1 (by both title and list location) from the first partition to the second partition which also has a SONG #1 (by title and list location). Now the copied SONG #1 gets added to the running list of SONGS in this second partition as #5 in the running list numbering system - yet it still has the title SONG #1. Now you have two SONG #1 titles and they are in the list position of #1 and #5. If there were a song deleted from list-position #3 at the time you copied SONG #1 over to the second partition, then you would now have a copy of SONG #1 in the #3 list position, as well as wherever other SONG #1 titles already existed.

This continual shuffling of list order preference can eventual cause a person to have any number of SONG #1 files in multiple list-number locations in the same partition. While they are contained on the VS, I believe they are unlikely to become corrupted and they stay separate within the VS' "memory".

I suppose that even they might become corrupted from time to time and that running a Drive Check to find and delete any data corruption could become necessary. If this corruption existed when you created your original backup discs, then possibly the SONGS backed up contained corrupted data and that this is what the ripper is giving you - but not because the ripper is faulty, but because each backed up SONG title would contain corrupted data. The only way to know this would be to recall the backup disc onto your VS - but therein lies the rub for you, doesn't it? Because you have no CD burner as of late....

If you could reload a backup disc and then run Drive Check on the partition, you would then discover whether or not there exists data corruption. Data corruption, by the way, consists of many more things than just the recorded audio tracks - many under-the-hood elements are part of what can and often does become corrupted, when corruption occurs, which is thankfully not very often.

If there's no corruption on the disc backups (or if we can assume there is not) and if you're finding this corruption after ripping even a single disc, then it would appear that the ripper and/or VSWE are indeed becoming confused by the existence of multiple SONGS with identical titles (the order the VS stored them in is not a factor here at all). My bet would be on the ripper, since it rips the entire disc at once and the VSWE can only extract wav files from one song at a time.

Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio

#1591636 - 11/08/18 04:16 AM Re: Connecting VirDIS to laptops [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

I got you.

I never copy songs or move them in the 880. I just make a new song - record / mix and then I would save everything on the machine at the time I saved the "new" song.

I would sometimes delete songs and then just use that same "re-used" number on a new song - and then back that up as above.

When making a back up cd on the 880 anyway - I wonder why the vs asks "which song" to back up - when it actually backs up the entire drive anyway?

Maybe that is where the glitch is coming from.

Like I said - I have never had this problem with the sd card - but I don't know if I have deleted - and re-used song numbers with the sd card - I don't remember.

I'll mess with it some more and see what happens....

Thanks uptildawn!!!!

Edited by mrsinical (11/08/18 04:45 AM)

--

#1591642 - 11/08/18 07:31 AM Re: Connecting VirDIS to laptops [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Gotcha!
If you still have a spinner drive and can easily swap it out for your SD, then run a couple of tests, it would be really interesting and possibly enlightening to hear what comes of it.

Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio

#1591747 - 11/09/18 04:34 AM Re: Connecting VirDIS to laptops [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

I'm so busy with the below that I probably wont have time to change drives and do any testing there... because...

I figured out something I may have been doing wrong with the vswe...

When I just let the vswe cd ripper rip the standard command "song00000" in the command box and then I click extract...
It extracts all songs on the cd - and they show up in the list - and this is where I lose particular "tracks" - or the tracks get shuffled.

BUT - if I specify the command box to only one song ("song003" -
It only extracts that song - and all of the tracks are correct.

I did try a cd that shows two song 3's on it -
I extracted only "song003" -
and the ripper re-named them 1 and 2 - and they both had the correct tracks.

Maybe its because I didn't name my songs and I have the original vs song numbers as names...

But it seems to be working when I do it this way - so I'll be busy for a while ripping - and re-mixing the ones that don't have a saved mix down track with Reaper.......

Edited by mrsinical (11/09/18 05:38 AM)

--

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
7 registered (Doofie, ajer, Milkman, FalconEddy, C Jo Go, SkyWave, 1 invisible) and 7 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Jazzooo
Al
Silversmith
Timster
Ismellelephant
Tom Mix
Mooseboy
gonzo
Popmann
NOK
moontan
C Jo Go
Doughboy
flatcat
Marty Gilman
paulb
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
fonts
Gretsch 6120
Vanillagrits
vvvm
String Jammer
glensimonds
T57Strat
GAMBLE
Jammer
SteveW
JazAddict
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
Dave Morris
Slabraton
Liquidirt
Delso
slotz
Milkman
LakeStone Karl
Forum Stats
21183 Members
25 Forums
142716 Topics
1649275 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 11/19/19 07:32 PM
Newest Members
otziman, Neve, Mr Multi, WDupley, Mike Cloud
21183 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.