Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1590605 - 10/30/18 06:37 PM Routing Problem---I'm missing something
sagetunes Offline
Planeteer

My chops are a little rusty--I've got 2 2480's, side by side. One has inputs routed correctly, one doesn't. And for the life of me I cannot figure out what I'm missing. I've done raised the faders in input mode 1-16 and 17-24---all the lines connect visually.
I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of stupidity. Help!!!

#1590611 - 10/30/18 07:30 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: sagetunes]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Can you define your routing more completely for us - how are both machines routed, to what and through what are you monitoring?
Is this for the sake of monitoring both machines simultaneously, through the same monitoring playback system, or one machine into the other?

#1590760 - 10/31/18 10:32 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: uptildawn]
sagetunes Offline
Planeteer

It's not about using them in tandem at all. I'm using one for real studio recording, and one for a rehearsal application---just for PA and recording practice.

When I went to set up the first mic in the rehearsal machine, I got nothing registering, no signal whatsoever. Used the same mic in the other machine, no problem at all. Troubleshooted quite a bit with other channels...Of course I just used the other machine. But its KILLING me to not be able figure this out--

I just moved, and both machines were working perfectly in the old place. Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

#1590832 - 11/01/18 03:21 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: sagetunes]
FalconEddy Offline
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Loc: Litchfield, NH, USA
Do you get a signal at the inputs? Then also at the input faders?

Are both machines routed identically in the 'EZ Routing' section?

. . Falcon

#1590840 - 11/01/18 04:14 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: FalconEddy]
sagetunes Offline
Planeteer

I get no signal or level anywhere---and I did a full surface scan/drive reboot. Is it possible this not not user error, just a drive that's toast?
#1590850 - 11/01/18 06:34 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: sagetunes]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Why would this be a drive issue? Even though I hate to suggest it, your descriptions make it sound like a problem with the VS, itself.

#1590853 - 11/01/18 06:53 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: uptildawn]
sagetunes Offline
Planeteer

yup---agreed. Because the drive did reformat---blew away everything I left on there and gave me the 3 partitions and the space it had. I'm thinking I might have to move on and keep it for parts. And I might as well take out the 2-effect card and the drive.
#1590857 - 11/01/18 08:03 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: sagetunes]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Isn't that a pity, too? There's not much chance that it could be worth investigating a machine issue and trying to repair it anymore - especially given that parts just aren't available and nobody around to service that knows how they work, really.

#1590893 - 11/02/18 01:09 AM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: uptildawn]
sagetunes Offline
Planeteer

So true--I do LOVE the machines, and luckily I have another one waiting in the wings. I cannot fix anything, so thats the way its gotta be. Might have to pick up another spare at some point.
Gonna Keep On Trackin'!

#1591087 - 11/02/18 08:30 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: sagetunes]
sagetunes Offline
Planeteer

I am in hell!!!---different second machine. Machines side by side--Again, one machine recognizes input signals, the other doesn't. All routing lines are connected exactly the same-identical routing.
#1591088 - 11/02/18 08:38 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: sagetunes]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Are you using the same exact cables to connect to the outside world on both input side and output side - in other words, do you connect everything to the 1st machine, which tests ok and then move all the cables to the second machine and test it?

Have you tried taking the first machine completely out of the picture and connecting the second machine as though there was never another one and get rid of the side-by-side scenario for a test?

#1591286 - 11/04/18 06:35 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: uptildawn]
sagetunes Offline
Planeteer

I just dug up my 4th machine--hooked it up, no problem at all. . For the purposes of the troubleshooting, I'm using the same mic and mic cable.
So we have 4 machines, all independent of each other, 2 of them route perfectly, 2 don't. That is beyond bizarre. It's unbelievable. And believe me, there's a big part of me that can't help but think that I'm the problem.

Can you think of any explanations or user error issue? It just might be WILD coincidence I suppose.

And after the initial learning curve challenges from 10 years ago, I've never had a problem at all with the 2480's.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

#1591298 - 11/04/18 08:54 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: sagetunes]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I really have no idea - all I can suggest is to go extremely basic hookup from source to speakers (nothing but one machine, mic, cable, and output - headphone, or speakers) in order to troubleshoot more precisely.

You said the problem exhibits itself in a way that you see no signal coming in at all, so the problem has to be up front..... If it's not a physical issue - mic and cable, which you seem to have ruled out, then it must either be at the physical input, or in the first stage of electronics.

If you're not getting any sound out, even from already existing tracks, then the problem could be anything from routing to a physical circuit board issue, to some computer screwy issue.

Sounds like you already tried a bunch of common troubleshooting, including reinitialing the mixer, etc. If none of this helps and it's not a physical input connection problem (easily ruled out or narrowed down at least, if no existing tracks play sound and register meter movement), then it must be something inside the unit - physical, or otherwise.

#1591305 - 11/04/18 10:10 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: uptildawn]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Florida - Dunnellon
Unless I've missed something, I see a clue here... you just moved. And, they were working before.

Sounds as though something has worked loose due to movement of a board, a ground, or connector within the machines. And possible a jolt to the hard drives could have been severe enough to cause a problem, but I would put that lower on the list until later.

Strange it happened to both of them, but it's possible. It might warrant a look under the hood for a visual inspection.

Starliner

#1591378 - 11/05/18 05:01 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: Starliner]
sagetunes Offline
Planeteer

I just posted this on the 2480 FB page, figuring the more feedback the better:

Hello all, my first post...I recently moved 4 2480s to a new house. 2 of them are totally whacky brain-wise. They won't route correctly or play correctly, doesn't recognize shite. I've troubleshooted 100s of things--including reformatting of drives, etc...seems like poor storage is to blame. So if I determine the brains are bigtime damaged---what to do??? Replace hard drive? Give up? Buy another used machine?

#1591412 - 11/05/18 10:17 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: sagetunes]
dkfackler Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Coventry, OH, planet Thulcandr...
No insult meant here, but is phantom power turned on where needed?

This has caught me more than once.

dk

#1591462 - 11/06/18 04:14 AM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: dkfackler]
sagetunes Offline
Planeteer

This is exactly my issue---I PM'd Kdog.

From a year ago:

http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1553272#Post1553272

And here's the most excruciating thing:
"the only thing that shows there's a signal from whatever channel i plug the mic. or guitar into is at the top right of the monitor about a inch down is the a channel clip block with a red clip light under each channel what ever channel I use it will blink red the higher i turn the gain knob will keep it on solid. So I know there's a signal up to the gain knob,I don't get it"

Same exact farrrrrging thing with me.

And I don't see that a solution was ever found...

#1591666 - 11/08/18 04:34 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: sagetunes]
FalconEddy Offline
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Ok, so you're getting a signal at the INPUTs because the clip lights are turning red. That's an analog signal before conversion to digital.

How about after THAT? Is there a signal level at the INPUT FADERs?

Perhaps there's an issue with the AD/DA chips.

Have you tried recording using only the digital coax input yet?

Try THAT and see if you get a signal at an INPUT FADER. (you'll have to route it in the EZ router from COAX to whatever INPUT FADER you want.)

. . Falcon

#1591700 - 11/08/18 08:19 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: FalconEddy]
sagetunes Offline
Planeteer

I do not get any signal at the INPUT FADERS, so indeed it never converts to digital, and it very well could be an issue with the AD/DA chip. If so, is there a worthy remedy?

I have not tried using coax yet--I will.

Am I correct in ruling out hard drive problem?

Thanks Falcon for taking time to help.

#1591721 - 11/08/18 10:22 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: sagetunes]
FalconEddy Offline
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Not 100% certain about a worthy remedy.

Yes, fairly confident about ruling out hard drive as being an issue. It serves as a read/write storage device, as well as a storage location for VSFX-3 card plug-ins.

First time hearing of this type of issue. Didn't know about its existence in the past.

A strange one to be sure.

Try the digital input recording, and let me know what happens.

. . Falcon

#1591723 - 11/08/18 11:01 PM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: FalconEddy]
sagetunes Offline
Planeteer

Also, keep in mind it won't output any tracks at all, meaning tracks on projects that were recorded successfully before THE ISSUE.

Ghost In The Machine ain't just an old Police album, it's my life.

#1591864 - 11/11/18 12:03 AM Re: Routing Problem---I'm missing something [Re: sagetunes]
FalconEddy Offline
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: sagetunes
Also, keep in mind it won't output any tracks at all, meaning tracks on projects that were recorded successfully before THE ISSUE.

Ghost In The Machine ain't just an old Police album, it's my life.

Ok.

Dude, telling us THAT at this point is sort of like introducing a new character in the last two pages of a 'who dunnit murder mystery', 'ya know?

I mean, why the hell are we troubleshooting the INPUT FADER section if playback from other previously recorded (known to be good) track generates no sound?

You need to give ALL of the information up front in order to get assistance on an issue.

Chances of having all eight AD/DA converter chips be bad is highly remote. Perhaps there's a disconnect. The signal flow goes from the Analog board to the Jack board.

All eight of the AD/DA conversion chips reside here on the Jack board. If there's on broken connection digital recording will not work. Playback will also not work.

I'm speculating that there may be an issue with the Jack board itself since two different connectors are used for analog recording and normal playback conversions. But, it may only be the ONE connector that has popped off that is responsible for signals coming out of that board into the Main board.

You can narrow this down by checking the meters while attempting to record something. If the INPUT FADER levels are set and you see a signal, but no sound, you know there's a signal getting to it.

If you're trying to playback a known good recording and you can see signals jumping around in the meter section (but not hear anything) you know you're getting a signal in there.

If you get NO SIGNAL on either, you may have a bad Jack board, connector(s) popped off, or maybe something jammed into one of the jacks on the back of the unit.

There are seven connectors on the Jack Board Assembly.

Having TWO units with either of these issues would seem unlikely, but it's possible since it happened right after you physically relocated them.

. . Falcon

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159877 Topics
1850931 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.