Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1591018 - 11/02/18 12:43 PM 880EX recovering back up data.
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Loc: Riding Indiana Waves of Audio
sup...?
My Plextor cd/rw died years ago and I have several songs backed up I would like to recover.
I currently have converted to the sd card set up.

I used to have a virdis unit - but when my desktop pc died - I sold the virdis. And now all I have are usb connections on my laptops.
I have one Dell running XP and a newer Dell running windows 10 pro.

I don't have the old Plextor unit - so I don't even know what old Plextor units available out there - are compatible.

I have asked Bill at viridis if he has anything that connects via usb to recover from cd's.

I have found the below Plextor units on the web - but I don't know if any are compatible...

Network Solutions

Ebay

Anybody (uptildawn...) have any suggestions?

I plan to recover the songs onto sd cards - so I can easily reload them at will. If that will even work????

#1591023 - 11/02/18 01:07 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Right at the moment, I don't have time to dig into it, but I did check that Plextor model and it is on the compatibility list I have from 2014 - even notes that the model had been "recently reconfirmed". The caveat being that since the model you site is an internal mount design, you would need a housing and power supply to put it in and power it. I'm assuming that since it is described as a scsi unit that you would not need the added expense of the crazy expensive ide to scsi bridge card adapter...

I don't know enough about what it takes from a cd drive to be compatible with the VS to tell you whether or not the ebay listing will work for you and for that money I doubt that I would be buying it just to see if it will work... If it were cheap enough, I might find a way to justify buying both units and maybe even swapping out the known compatible model for the other one - assuming the unit would fit in that case and be able to use that power supply without much dinking around...... but it would have to be pretty cheap (in my opinion).

You might ask Bill if he thinks that it would be okay to get a copy of VSWE from him..... then you could at least recover/extract in wav file form, all the tracks from those CD backup discs onto a pc. Of course, you'd need a pc that has a CD/DVD tray. If your own computers no longer have them, maybe you could find a friend, or some really old relative (ha!) that still has a computer with a CD tray to extract the wav files to. VSWE is not an invasive or heavy install and is not likely to harm someone's pc (you might even be able to "install" it on a flash/thumb drive of your own and then not need to invade their computer with another program. Then you could copy the extracted wav files to your thumb drive to copy later to your laptop. At leas you'd have the dry, unprocessed original tracks to work with......... even to record back to your 880ex, if really necessary.

I have to run now. I will check back later and see if any of this makes sense to me when I re-read it. \:\)

#1591151 - 11/03/18 10:18 AM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

I have a cd tray on my laptop with xp - and I have vswe
But I thought the back up cd's were data - not wav fies?

Edited by mrsinical (11/03/18 10:19 AM)

#1591178 - 11/03/18 02:18 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I mentioned using vswe for the sake of extracting wav files from your backup cds as sort of a last resort, in case you don't find a solution to recover your songs to the vs. At least you would then be able to do something with the tracks in a computer daw.

#1591480 - 11/06/18 10:16 AM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

I"m using VSWE to rip from the back up cd's and using reaper to either render the stereo mixes - or mixing down the individual tracks that I didn't mix and save.
#1591488 - 11/06/18 01:43 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

It sounds like you at least have that solution working for you. That's good. I was afraid you might not be comfortable using vswe and a pc daw to get those tracks.

#1591504 - 11/06/18 06:57 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Thanks for your help uptildawn, much appreciated!!!!
#1591513 - 11/06/18 08:17 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: mrsinical]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Well - it seems that the vs unit had a goofy glitch when I saved several songs - per save on several different cd's.

Some "songs" have drum tracks from a completely different song - but the 2 guitar tracks and bass track are there.

And wouldn't you know it - the particular songs I really wanted to re-coop - are the ones where the drum track has "mysteriously" vanished.
I had several songs that I just "left" on the unit - when adding - and then saving - a new song. (I ended up with 4 songs saved on 20 cd's - with a new one added - and it was always the new one that suffered the "drum track loss".
I should have deleted the other songs the first time I saved them - I think they (all that data) screwed up the additional song.
(I left them on the machine because I would go back to them and add some things here and there... - I should not have done that!!!)

#1591522 - 11/06/18 09:47 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Are you sure? That could be how you ripped the CDs........
First of all - Be sure to always rename the folder the ripper creates for each song.

Then, always extract the wav files for each song to the folder that contains the ripped files for organization and safe keeping.

It's really, really, important to rename each folder after a single cd has been ripped - I always use the name of each song, which can be easily seen just by hovering the mouse over the SONG folder. It will show you the contents of the first couple files, which always includes one text file that has the song name you gave it in the VS.

#1591567 - 11/07/18 02:41 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

So uptildawn -

I made a folder for each song in the list.
I open vswe. select the cd rip option. It shows the "rip command" in the box. Then I click to start the rip. When the rip is finished - it shows all of the songs on the cd in a list. - I selected the proper folder on the destination box to extract to. After extracting the files of each song - into its designated folder - I still basically have the same "#1 track" in all folders.
However - some cd's I get the right #1 track - but most have a track that doesn't belong with that song - and I can't find the right track in any song (folder)

I think I know what the problem is...
I never named my songs - I just left them with whatever "song number" the 880 gave it when I created a new song on the unit.
So - I don't know why some back up cd's will have several #3 song "names" on them in the list.
And maybe when it rips - the several identical song names are getting fudged - I think this might be the problem...
Maybe I'm still just doing it wrong???

When I made the cd back up's - there could only be one song number per song because the VS is set up to always give new songs an unused song number - so I don't see how, or why, I'm getting multiple - identical "song numbers" on a single cd rip?

Edited by mrsinical (11/07/18 04:29 PM)

#1591579 - 11/07/18 05:42 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I suppose you could set up your song rip folders in advance of the rip, but I think it requires too much work to have to then redefine the output folder for the ripped files to be generated to. I think it's far easier to just let the ripper rip the CD to the one default location - such as Rip0000, or something - and letting it create its own subfolders for each song as it likes to do. Then, move each song folder to its appropriately titled folder (if you predefine each folder as you did) - or just simply rename each SONG folder the ripper created.

Each successive CD rip gets the same treatment - rip to the default folder, retitle each folder after the rip, or move the files to the appropriately named folder created in advance of the new rip.

In my case, the simple renaming of the ripped SONG folder works well, when I'm not certain of the song title.

Of course, the other thing you mention that concerns me, is that you didn't bother to name your songs at the time you created them or saved them while still on the VS. In order for the ripper to work properly when ripping more than one CD backup, it is absolutely necessary that each ripped song folder have a unique name.

It won't be good enough to rename the ripped SONG folders by the original song title, if you simply used the VS' default name and did so for a number of backup CDs. In all likelihood you have multiple SONGs across multiple backup discs that have the same default VS-given name.

The VS WILL keep the original song title you give it, even when making copies - to the same partition, or another partition. It never appends a title when a copy is made. If you did not create new names for your VS SONGS before backing them up, then you can indeed have multiple InitSong 001's on the same backup disc - especially if you backed up songs from more than one partition.

I'm unaware of how the ripper will treat a backup disc that contains multiple InitSong 001 files - I may have discs around here that contain multiple copies with the same title on the same backup disc, but finding one to verify this is way beyond the amount of time I have to check it out right now...

I do know that the ripped SONG folders that the ripper creates MUST be given unique names in order to rip songs from multiple discs into the same master folder location. I find it best to rename the folders directly after ripping a single disc... or move them into an entirely separate location (you still have to rename them at some point).

I think the same can be said of VSWE - the tracks you export from one SONG title must be stored in a folder that's different from the next song in order to avoid possible corruption, since track names the VS assigns are always the same from SONG to SONG.
This is why I do take the time to reassign the output destination folder for each song I extract wav files for and I assign the ripped SONG folder as my destination, so that the original ripped files and the extracted wav files end up in the same folder.

#1591637 - 11/08/18 10:16 AM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

I got you.

I never copy songs or move them in the 880. I just make a new song - record / mix and then I would save everything on the machine at the time I saved the "new" song.

I would sometimes delete songs and then just use that same "re-used" number on a new song - and then back that up as above.

When making a back up cd on the 880 anyway - I wonder why the vs asks "which song" to back up - when it actually backs up the entire drive anyway?

Maybe that is where the glitch is coming from.

Like I said - I have never had this problem with the sd card - but I don't know if I have deleted - and re-used song numbers with the sd card - I don't remember.

I'll mess with it some more and see what happens....

Thanks uptildawn!!!!

Edited by mrsinical (11/08/18 10:45 AM)

#1591641 - 11/08/18 01:29 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: mrsinical
... When making a back up cd on the 880 anyway - I wonder why the vs asks "which song" to back up - when it actually backs up the entire drive anyway?

Maybe that is where the glitch is coming from.

I've never known the 880 to back up the entire drive, if I choose specific songs..... Then again my recollection of the 880 backup procedure is very hazy, since most backups I've made in the past 5-10 years have been on the 1680 - the process is much more clear on the 1680's larger lcd display. I'm sure that helps, because I always felt very uncomfortable with that single line of text on the 880.

I'd be interested to hear what you discover, if you run a few tests to see what goes on. It's pretty quirky to me.

#1591746 - 11/09/18 10:31 AM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Well, I figured out something I may have been doing wrong...

When I just let the vswe cd ripper rip the standard command "song00000" in the command box and then I click extract...
It extracts all songs on the cd - and they show up in the list - and this is where I lose particular "tracks" - or the tracks get shuffled.

BUT - if I specify the command box to only one song ("song003" -
It only extracts that song - and all of the tracks are correct.

I did try a cd that shows two song 3's on it -
I extracted only "song003" -
and the ripper re-named them 1 and 2 - and they both had the correct tracks.

Maybe its because I didn't name my songs and I have the original vs song numbers as names...

But it seems to be working when I do it this way - so I'll be busy for a while ripping - and re-mixing the ones that don't have a saved mix down track with Reaper.......

Edited by mrsinical (11/09/18 11:39 AM)

#1591753 - 11/09/18 01:47 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Hey! I'd say that's a pretty significant discovery. I don't think anybody has ever reported an issue quite like this, or found the solution you have. I know that I didn't know you could tell the ripper to only rip certain songs from a backup disc. I might have to give that one a try this weekend and see how that works.

I'm glad you found a way out of that quandary!

#1591783 - 11/09/18 06:08 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Me too! Thanx for all your input!
#1591847 - 11/10/18 04:38 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: mrsinical]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Update...
I was incorrect... about a few things...

The 880 did in fact only back up 1 song per cd.

I did not realize that the vswe ripper assigns the "ripSong00000"
as the extraction destination folder in windows C drive.

I ripped several cd's into that same folder - not realizing they were all going into that same folder. So that is why (as you mentioned uptildawn) one must assign a separate folder for each cd ripped - or else the "tracks" with the same number get extremely jumbled - even between different songs.

However, what I discovered is that the - rip"song00000" - in the command extraction box - is what names the folder in Windows C
After ripping a cd - Unless you go into the C drive and manually re-name the folder - every cd will extract to that same folder - if you just let the ripper extract with "song0000" -
But one can merely name the folder in the vswe command box for each cd ripped to save steps.

I'm a dumb ass.... I know it....

#1591852 - 11/10/18 05:37 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

So, did you get it worked out so that you can get all the tracks for all your songs, then? I hope so.

#1591898 - 11/11/18 10:29 AM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Yes.
I have recovered everything that I backed up on cd's.

Thanks!

#1591906 - 11/11/18 02:24 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

That's great news!
Glad you sorted out how to rip multiple CDs and export wav files from them successfully.

#1592022 - 11/12/18 01:13 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

Well - I did run across 3 or 4 cd's that had corrupt data.
I think they were the last ones I backed up with my Plextor just before it died. It must have been malfunctioning - even though the 880 screen said "back up successful".
Oh well - 4 bad ones out of 25 or so ain't bad!

#1592027 - 11/12/18 02:53 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: mrsinical]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Yeah - I know how that one goes. There were times when I'd make a backup and the 1680 couldn't read it back in, even right after I'd burned it "successfully". Funny thing is, both the 1680 and the burner still work today. Something happened, though, for a time where this would happen every few burns. It got to where I wouldn't trust it at all and almost stopped using it as a backup method... maybe that's when I first started checking out the whole SD card conversion trip.

#1593604 - 11/28/18 03:05 PM Re: 880EX recovering back up data. [Re: uptildawn]
mrsinical Offline
AudioWriter
Planeteer

I learned that I had to use the slow 4X CD's burn speed for the back-up to work. But later - even those didn't work....

Here's one called "My Love" that I could only recover the mix...

My Love

Edited by mrsinical (11/28/18 03:12 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159766 Topics
1849756 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.