Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1596237 - 12/27/18 03:15 PM reaper
ricweidner Offline
Space Cadet

howdy forumites
does anyone have much experience uploading 2480 sound files into reaper?
I got that part figured out. my problem is, the sound of the song sounds kinda dull, lifeless, squashed, you get the idea
tried a couple of mastering things in reaper as well as EQing, can't seem to get a good sound happening

#1596239 - 12/27/18 03:54 PM Re: reaper [Re: ricweidner]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Iowa
Well, there's so many variables at play here - the least of which is Reaper, itself.

In order to be of much help, even to give suggestions, we need to know many more details - especially about the hardware you're using on the pc side - everything from the soundcard/interface brand/model to the speakers and your listening environment. We need to know what recording mode you used in the 2480 and how you transferred your tracks into Reaper. We need to know how those tracks compare to other tracks you've mixed in Reaper on the same system... the list goes on.

Provide us with a bunch of these details and we might hazard some suggestions, but there's not much more we can tell you.

Posting a link to sound examples of these dull-sounding tracks might help us understand what you consider dull sounding, etc.

Welcome to the Planet and Happy New Year to come.

2013 Iowa City JazzFest sets!
Dr Lonnie Smith Trio w/Jonathan Kreisberg on guitar
Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio
These are post mixes set to single camera video (by Rich Rauch).

#1596256 - 12/27/18 06:36 PM Re: reaper [Re: ricweidner]
powermac Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Houston, Tx
 Originally Posted By: ricweidner
howdy forumites
does anyone have much experience uploading 2480 sound files into reaper?
I got that part figured out. my problem is, the sound of the song sounds kinda dull, lifeless, squashed, you get the idea
tried a couple of mastering things in reaper as well as EQing, can't seem to get a good sound happening

Uptildawn is correct. Need a little more info.

Having said that, if your downloading .wav files via the 2480 to Reaper you won't get any of the effects, compression, etc that might have been done on the 2480. Just flat (so to speak) tracks. In other words your starting your production over.

It's just an idea, but I was taken aback when I first started loading into Reaper.

#1596259 - 12/27/18 06:48 PM Re: reaper [Re: powermac]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Oh hey! That's a great point!! I'd forgotten how shocking that was for me the first time...

Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio

#1596988 - 01/02/19 10:40 PM Re: reaper [Re: uptildawn]
ricweidner Offline
Space Cadet

fellas
I never heard of the "learning curve" on reaper, I think that is probably it
anyway, here goes:
my 2480 has the 2.50 OS, something like that. I recorded the song in MTP with almost no FX, other than some panning. I put in auto mix, made a two track copy, and when I hear that in reaper, it's funky. I am listening to everything with those behringer truth speakers or headphones. reaper is 5.04 and I just listened to it again, with a line out of my dell laptop with reaper to the Mackie 1402 which I use for playback of all my recorder stuff.......and it did not sound all that bad. so...maybe some feedback on what you guys do to recordings when you go from 2480 to reaper may be in order here
thanks for your help

#1596994 - 01/02/19 11:17 PM Re: reaper [Re: ricweidner]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Sorry to be dim about this - but it's the transition from VS to PC that's got me baffled now.

What do you mean, first of all, by "made a two track copy"?
When you say, "I put in automix", what do you mean?.... I mean, with little to no processing other than a bit of panning and some sort of FX that you don't give any details about, what did you need to automix?

Given that I'm not understanding your VS mixing/processing/making a two-track mixdown...... and moving on to the PC.......

How are you getting that two-track mix into Reaper?
Are you playing it out of the 2480 into the PC/Reaper? - I suppose not since you mention "uploading soundfiles" in your first post.
Does that then imply that you are somehow exporting the two-track mix as .wav files onto a CD in the 2480 and then importing them into Reaper?
Or are you using a flash drive mod in your 2480 (or as an external scsi drive) to transfer your 2480 project to the PC and opening it in Reaper, or using the VSWE tool to extract a pair of L/R wav files, which you then open in Reaper?

Basically, I'm trying to pin down your process from:
A - mixing down to two-track in the 2480, especially scratching my head over your mix process now,
B - getting the two-track mix out of the 2480 (realtime re-record, or transfer of CD or flash wav files)- and
C - importing the two-track into Reaper (or recording it in, or however you're doing it).

The details of your process give us the necessary information we need to understand why you might be, or shouldn't be, hearing a difference from the 2480 to the PC playback.

Speaking of playback.....
So, you play all of your machines - 2480, PC, etc. - through a Mackie 1402 and use both speakers and headphones to listen and compare these differing mixes, right?

So you have a common playback system - that's helpful to know.
Are you sure that your various input channels on the Mackie are set identically when you play these tracks and compare? Have you by chance tried swapping the 2480 and PC channels to see if they both still sound the same as they did in their normal channel assignments? What I'm getting at is, is there any possibility that the differences could be in the mixer setting, for instance?

What I personally expect from my VS recordings, when I play them on the PC, is to definitely hear a difference and that in my case, the difference is usually somewhat better on the PC. But it's difficult to say how much of the difference might be the playback section of the 1680 (I don't use a 2480) into my monitoring system, vs. the playback of the PC through its own output system, into the monitoring system. I may be biased toward the PC side, because I assume that the RME interface I use is a better system than the 1680 playback system.

I would also add that (although it's been a few years) I recall my 1680 dry track transfers sounding somewhat dull compared to the raw dry tracks I recorded directly into the PC and RME interface. That includes dry track realtime transfers and flash card (and backup CD) extraction to wav files with the VSWE tool.

Does that help any? Hope so....

Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio

#1597089 - 01/03/19 09:52 PM Re: reaper [Re: uptildawn]
ricweidner Offline
Space Cadet

by made a 2 track copy, I meant I made a stereo mix down on two of the v tracks on the 2480, just the default settings there.

by auto mix I meant auto mix, I had enough fader moves and things to warrant doing an auto mix before the stereo mix down

I am using a flash drive with the VSWE tool to move the file into reaper
the file has all the original tracks along with the two stereo mix down tracks

hopefully that clears up the stuff about a mixing down
b getting the the two track mix...
c
importing...

the tracks on the 1402 Mackie sound the same

yes, everything in the studio goes through a 1402 Mackie

mixer settings on Mackie are set the same

agree with you, the tracks through reaper are okay, but not the same, a little duller

once again, any tricks or suggestions on reaper from the 2480 would be helpful

thanks

#1597098 - 01/04/19 12:32 AM Re: reaper [Re: ricweidner]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

thanks so much for that extra clarity!! It helps more than you might think. Makes it really easy to rule out certain things when helping to troubleshoot at a distance.

Hopefully, some people who use Reaper on a regular basis will have some Reaper-specific suggestions for you. In the meantime, I want to ponder this a bit and see if maybe I have something specific enough to be of help... later.

Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio

#1597167 - 01/04/19 08:59 PM Re: reaper [Re: ricweidner]
powermac Offline
Planeteer

Are you monitoring the Reaper download the same as you are on the 2480?
#1597174 - 01/04/19 10:51 PM Re: reaper [Re: powermac]
ricweidner Offline
Space Cadet

yea, especially after uptildawn's many questions....it got me thinking, how much did I really try to do a comparative analysis of the two tracks coming out of the 2480 and the two stereo tracks in reaper. so I plugged in a headset to the 1402, and damn ! they were pretty friggin close!

so, more questions from you guys with reaper experience:
how do I take the mix down stereo pair in reaper and make that my final thing for YT and sound cloud and all that. in other words, is there a much to do to just make it into a wav file ?

also, once again, any hot tips from going to the 2480 to the reaper in terms of mix down are appreciated

#1597228 - 01/05/19 05:02 PM Re: reaper [Re: ricweidner]
powermac Offline
Planeteer

You don't need to render to a .wav file to share songs on music/video sites from Reaper. If you want to really learn the in's and out's of Reaper visit the Cockos forum. https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
There are a lot of great resources. I've learned a lot over there.

Edit: There really aren't any secrets to exporting .wav files from the 2480 aside from Virdis. If your budget doesn't allow for Virdis you can do it the old fashioned way, which is slower. Or you can use Bear's extraction tool which is quicker. I still use the standard 2480 extraction method. I don't mind the wait and it works just fine.

Edited by powermac (01/05/19 05:10 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered and 95 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Jazzooo
Al
Silversmith
Timster
Tom Mix
NOK
Popmann
gonzo
Ismellelephant
Mooseboy
Doughboy
moontan
flatcat
paulb
C Jo Go
RGR
Marty Gilman
fabulousthunderbird
fonts
Gretsch 6120
vvvm
String Jammer
glensimonds
Vanillagrits
T57Strat
GAMBLE
Jammer
SteveW
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
JazAddict
Delso
LakeStone Karl
Liquidirt
Dave Morris
Dan Barnes
virtualan
kid-surf
Forum Stats
20860 Members
29 Forums
136018 Topics
1566600 Posts

Max Online: 226 @ 03/21/16 07:30 AM
Newest Members
dave11222, GerryDev, JOHNCARLOBELLOTTI, EuroDD, LiveWire
20860 Registered Users

Generated in 0.034 seconds in which 0.027 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.