Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1596237 - 12/27/18 09:15 PM reaper
ricweidner Offline
Space Cadet

howdy forumites
does anyone have much experience uploading 2480 sound files into reaper?
I got that part figured out. my problem is, the sound of the song sounds kinda dull, lifeless, squashed, you get the idea
tried a couple of mastering things in reaper as well as EQing, can't seem to get a good sound happening

#1596239 - 12/27/18 09:54 PM Re: reaper [Re: ricweidner]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Well, there's so many variables at play here - the least of which is Reaper, itself.

In order to be of much help, even to give suggestions, we need to know many more details - especially about the hardware you're using on the pc side - everything from the soundcard/interface brand/model to the speakers and your listening environment. We need to know what recording mode you used in the 2480 and how you transferred your tracks into Reaper. We need to know how those tracks compare to other tracks you've mixed in Reaper on the same system... the list goes on.

Provide us with a bunch of these details and we might hazard some suggestions, but there's not much more we can tell you.

Posting a link to sound examples of these dull-sounding tracks might help us understand what you consider dull sounding, etc.

Welcome to the Planet and Happy New Year to come.

#1596256 - 12/28/18 12:36 AM Re: reaper [Re: ricweidner]
powermac Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Houston, Tx
 Originally Posted By: ricweidner
howdy forumites
does anyone have much experience uploading 2480 sound files into reaper?
I got that part figured out. my problem is, the sound of the song sounds kinda dull, lifeless, squashed, you get the idea
tried a couple of mastering things in reaper as well as EQing, can't seem to get a good sound happening

Uptildawn is correct. Need a little more info.

Having said that, if your downloading .wav files via the 2480 to Reaper you won't get any of the effects, compression, etc that might have been done on the 2480. Just flat (so to speak) tracks. In other words your starting your production over.

It's just an idea, but I was taken aback when I first started loading into Reaper.

#1596259 - 12/28/18 12:48 AM Re: reaper [Re: powermac]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Oh hey! That's a great point!! I'd forgotten how shocking that was for me the first time...

#1596988 - 01/03/19 04:40 AM Re: reaper [Re: uptildawn]
ricweidner Offline
Space Cadet

fellas
I never heard of the "learning curve" on reaper, I think that is probably it
anyway, here goes:
my 2480 has the 2.50 OS, something like that. I recorded the song in MTP with almost no FX, other than some panning. I put in auto mix, made a two track copy, and when I hear that in reaper, it's funky. I am listening to everything with those behringer truth speakers or headphones. reaper is 5.04 and I just listened to it again, with a line out of my dell laptop with reaper to the Mackie 1402 which I use for playback of all my recorder stuff.......and it did not sound all that bad. so...maybe some feedback on what you guys do to recordings when you go from 2480 to reaper may be in order here
thanks for your help

#1596994 - 01/03/19 05:17 AM Re: reaper [Re: ricweidner]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Sorry to be dim about this - but it's the transition from VS to PC that's got me baffled now.

What do you mean, first of all, by "made a two track copy"?
When you say, "I put in automix", what do you mean?.... I mean, with little to no processing other than a bit of panning and some sort of FX that you don't give any details about, what did you need to automix?

Given that I'm not understanding your VS mixing/processing/making a two-track mixdown...... and moving on to the PC.......

How are you getting that two-track mix into Reaper?
Are you playing it out of the 2480 into the PC/Reaper? - I suppose not since you mention "uploading soundfiles" in your first post.
Does that then imply that you are somehow exporting the two-track mix as .wav files onto a CD in the 2480 and then importing them into Reaper?
Or are you using a flash drive mod in your 2480 (or as an external scsi drive) to transfer your 2480 project to the PC and opening it in Reaper, or using the VSWE tool to extract a pair of L/R wav files, which you then open in Reaper?

Basically, I'm trying to pin down your process from:
A - mixing down to two-track in the 2480, especially scratching my head over your mix process now,
B - getting the two-track mix out of the 2480 (realtime re-record, or transfer of CD or flash wav files)- and
C - importing the two-track into Reaper (or recording it in, or however you're doing it).

The details of your process give us the necessary information we need to understand why you might be, or shouldn't be, hearing a difference from the 2480 to the PC playback.

Speaking of playback.....
So, you play all of your machines - 2480, PC, etc. - through a Mackie 1402 and use both speakers and headphones to listen and compare these differing mixes, right?

So you have a common playback system - that's helpful to know.
Are you sure that your various input channels on the Mackie are set identically when you play these tracks and compare? Have you by chance tried swapping the 2480 and PC channels to see if they both still sound the same as they did in their normal channel assignments? What I'm getting at is, is there any possibility that the differences could be in the mixer setting, for instance?

What I personally expect from my VS recordings, when I play them on the PC, is to definitely hear a difference and that in my case, the difference is usually somewhat better on the PC. But it's difficult to say how much of the difference might be the playback section of the 1680 (I don't use a 2480) into my monitoring system, vs. the playback of the PC through its own output system, into the monitoring system. I may be biased toward the PC side, because I assume that the RME interface I use is a better system than the 1680 playback system.

I would also add that (although it's been a few years) I recall my 1680 dry track transfers sounding somewhat dull compared to the raw dry tracks I recorded directly into the PC and RME interface. That includes dry track realtime transfers and flash card (and backup CD) extraction to wav files with the VSWE tool.

Does that help any? Hope so....

#1597089 - 01/04/19 03:52 AM Re: reaper [Re: uptildawn]
ricweidner Offline
Space Cadet

by made a 2 track copy, I meant I made a stereo mix down on two of the v tracks on the 2480, just the default settings there.

by auto mix I meant auto mix, I had enough fader moves and things to warrant doing an auto mix before the stereo mix down

I am using a flash drive with the VSWE tool to move the file into reaper
the file has all the original tracks along with the two stereo mix down tracks

hopefully that clears up the stuff about a mixing down
b getting the the two track mix...
c
importing...

the tracks on the 1402 Mackie sound the same

yes, everything in the studio goes through a 1402 Mackie

mixer settings on Mackie are set the same

agree with you, the tracks through reaper are okay, but not the same, a little duller

once again, any tricks or suggestions on reaper from the 2480 would be helpful

thanks

#1597098 - 01/04/19 06:32 AM Re: reaper [Re: ricweidner]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

thanks so much for that extra clarity!! It helps more than you might think. Makes it really easy to rule out certain things when helping to troubleshoot at a distance.

Hopefully, some people who use Reaper on a regular basis will have some Reaper-specific suggestions for you. In the meantime, I want to ponder this a bit and see if maybe I have something specific enough to be of help... later.

#1597167 - 01/05/19 02:59 AM Re: reaper [Re: ricweidner]
powermac Offline
Planeteer

Are you monitoring the Reaper download the same as you are on the 2480?
#1597174 - 01/05/19 04:51 AM Re: reaper [Re: powermac]
ricweidner Offline
Space Cadet

yea, especially after uptildawn's many questions....it got me thinking, how much did I really try to do a comparative analysis of the two tracks coming out of the 2480 and the two stereo tracks in reaper. so I plugged in a headset to the 1402, and damn ! they were pretty friggin close!

so, more questions from you guys with reaper experience:
how do I take the mix down stereo pair in reaper and make that my final thing for YT and sound cloud and all that. in other words, is there a much to do to just make it into a wav file ?

also, once again, any hot tips from going to the 2480 to the reaper in terms of mix down are appreciated

#1597228 - 01/05/19 11:02 PM Re: reaper [Re: ricweidner]
powermac Offline
Planeteer

You don't need to render to a .wav file to share songs on music/video sites from Reaper. If you want to really learn the in's and out's of Reaper visit the Cockos forum. https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20
There are a lot of great resources. I've learned a lot over there.

Edit: There really aren't any secrets to exporting .wav files from the 2480 aside from Virdis. If your budget doesn't allow for Virdis you can do it the old fashioned way, which is slower. Or you can use Bear's extraction tool which is quicker. I still use the standard 2480 extraction method. I don't mind the wait and it works just fine.

Edited by powermac (01/05/19 11:10 PM)

#1608663 - 04/06/19 04:21 AM Re: reaper [Re: powermac]
rikusan Offline
Planeteer

I am resurrecting an old post of mine, with a fun new twist
I was using a windows 7 dell laptop for reaper, I think it Is V5.07, for reaper that is
I hated the dell and retired it. I want to start putting stuff on YT and stuff like that. seems with using Bear's extraction tool or virdis you cannot use a Mac. I even took a file from the dell that was converted using the extraction SW thing, tried to open it on a newer version of reaper (5.97) on my Mac with Mojave, and it don't work. looking for work arounds but seems I need to stay tied to a windows machine to transfer 2480 files to the rest of the world

#1608667 - 04/06/19 05:52 AM Re: reaper [Re: rikusan]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

2 things I can see based one what you've said -

1- seems that you are opening the VS song file in reaper via the reaper .dll tool, right? Weren't you also at some point rendering or converting the VS tracks in reaper into .wav or mp3 files? If not, then this would be one thing to consider doing, when things are in reaper.

2- inside of bear's cd ripper program is another tool called VS Wave Export (VSWE) - VSWE exports/converts VS tracks into common wav files, which can be read on any mac.

and 3- there's always a dual boot to something like bootcamp on a mac to use windows and reaper to get your wav files and or rendered mix tracks to then transfer to the mac side, if you just have to use a mac for uploading to YT, or whatever.

#1608731 - 04/07/19 04:11 AM Re: reaper [Re: uptildawn]
rikusan Offline
Planeteer

uptildawn
as always, thanks for your thought out response
here's where things are at
I found a windows 7 HP laptop from work. I've loaded reaper 5.97
I still have the VSWE.24A folder of stuff with the Cd2Roland, ExeStub, RDAC.dll, and the VS Wave Export file....
seems I can't remember how to drive this stuff to get it to work.
some little step I am missing

#1608733 - 04/07/19 04:57 AM Re: reaper [Re: rikusan]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Well, depends on the status of your VS Songs/Projects - are they on CD/DVD discs, or ripped and saved to your hard drive? Are they on removable media (flash drive, cf card)? Are you using VirDIS and storing them in .hdd files?

If they are backed up to CD/DVD, then insert one into the pc's optical drive and wait for Windows to stop fussing, attempting to find something to play or display.

Then, with VSWE unzipped (from the original downloadable compressed folder), either make a desktop shortcut of the VS Wave Export.exe to your desktop for convenient access, or locate the folder where it and the other files are located and double-click the VS Wave Export.exe file to open it. (The rest of those files are accessed through and by the program).

With your CD/DVD backup disc inserted in the burner tray and closed, use the CD2Roland tool found in VSWE's Extras menu to rip the VS files to folders on the PC.

You will need a location entered in CD2Roland's dialog box (or whatever those are called) - something like - cd2roland E "D:\Files Audio\Rip0000" - where E is your burner drive letter, D is your hard drive or partition destination location and Files Audio is the name of your main folder for rips and Rip0000 is your destination rip folder - use whatever names and drive letters suite your needs, but if you copy and paste the one I typed above, you will have all the necessary slashes, spaces and quotation marks - provided you don't change or remove them in the process of typing/overwriting your own preferences for letters and names.

Once you start the ripper, it will do its thing, displaying it in a DOS window. When it is finished, do whatever it says to close it and find your ripped files.

Now, in Reaper, use the Open File routine to locate your ripped SONG folder and select the Song.VR6 (or whatever it is for you) file. That and only that file will open the entire VS project's tracks in Reaper's main window - PROVIDED you also have installed Randygo's reaper_vs.dll file in Reaper's FX folder (put it in there when reaper is closed so it shows up when reaper scans its fx folder on startup).

If you don't have the reaper_vs.dll file, then your next step after ripping the VS Song will be to drag the SongVR6 file into VSWE's main window (instead of reaper). VSWE will show you the contents and you can select any or all the tracks from VSWE's matrix to export/extract files in the standard .wav file format. These can then be imported into Reaper for mangling however you desire.

In VSWE, you should also have set up a destination folder and enter its path in the Export To box - something like: D:\Files Audio\Rip0000\So Now What - where D is the drive or partition and the rest is as I mentioned before. You can include the name of the song at the end like in my example, whether or not you've already made a folder with that name. VSWE will offer to create it for you - a very helpful touch.

There's probably details I'm leaving out, but this should help you recall the process.

If your projects are already on the pc, or in flash drive format, then you can skip all the CD2Roland ripping parts and just access them in VSWE's main window. In fact, VSWE might actually sniff them out and display them, if accessed from a flash drive.

#1608851 - 04/07/19 10:56 PM Re: reaper [Re: uptildawn]
rikusan Offline
Planeteer

ahh, thanks
don't remember the process being this thick. but I'll give it a go

#1608853 - 04/07/19 11:18 PM Re: reaper [Re: rikusan]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Well, with the CD2Roland ripper, you can always use bear's original method of writing a batch file and saving it (or a shortcut) to you desktop and then using a DOS Command prompt to do the rip process. Personally, I prefer the relative ease of using CD2Roland from within VSWE, because it seems easier, I guess.

Other than that, there's not many variations I can think of that make this less of a process. Except, maybe if your VS files are on a CF or SD card, where you insert the card into your pc's card slot (or usb interface card slot) and then access the card through VSWE to extract wav files. That's a fairly simple process, if that's how you've got your system set up - requires either a mod to the internal VS Drive from a spinner to a solid state format - or to have some solid state format configured to connect to your VS' scsi port.

#1608854 - 04/07/19 11:29 PM Re: reaper [Re: rikusan]
rikusan Offline
Planeteer

yea, so just thoroughly read through your instructions, not much rings a bell. at the end you mention all the above may be unnecessary if I am using a usb drive, which I always
have, explaining why all the other stuff seemed unfamiliar.
weird part....I have folders of 2480 songs with all the appropriate files and folders, some with a reaper file which use to be the one I would click on that would open up reaper and bam I would be in business. I am getting errors with the new 5.97 on my newer laptop pointing to something going awry with the translation from Roland to reaper
may have to open a chat in the reaper forum. before that I will take a fresh, non cd2ed song, put it through the cd2 process, see if I can open it then

#1608877 - 04/08/19 12:52 AM Re: reaper [Re: rikusan]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Yeah - sounds like you're going to have to dig deeper to find the solution.
Did you save an old install of Reaper? Maybe try installing it to a different location on the drive - separate install from the current one - if Reaper will install that way. Some programs do ..... VirDIS is one and SAWStudio daw is another..... Reaper and SAW had a lot in common, core-wise, I think - way back... I'm hopeful that you might be able to try this.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849696 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.03 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.