Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1597151 - 01/04/19 11:07 PM Memory upgrade question
roland880vsrhd Offline
Planeteer

I’m wondering if anyone can tell me how to find out how much memory my car 880 has. After initializing the drive the display reads “540m 220sec” of remaining time.
eBay has memory cards that are 20gb for $55. I’m not interested in a cf card.
Anyone know how to check the gigabytes on the machine?

#1597154 - 01/05/19 01:16 AM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: roland880vsrhd]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Check the various menus - there should be one for displaying the remaining time, or size, or capacity...... If you're not finding it easily, check the manual. I'm sure it's in one of the menus.
It will probably display remaining MBs as opposed to GBs.

It will probably only show you the amount of space in the current partition, if your drive has more than one partition - which it should....... seems to me that 540 minutes should be around 2GB... if I recall correctly.

You should also be able to see how many partitions there are through your menu options. You might have to go to each partition separately to see what the display reads for each one. Add them all up and if it's more than 16GB, then maybe you have a 20GB drive?....... Might be easier to just turn off the machine, unplug it and look at the drive.

Edited by uptildawn (01/05/19 01:20 AM)

#1597195 - 01/05/19 03:26 PM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: uptildawn]
roland880vsrhd Offline
Planeteer

I never thought to remove the drive, would it need to be reformatted in any way upon reinstalling?
I did check the various partitions, there are 6.
Each one has the same remaining memory time except the last one which has 333 minutes on it.
I’ll pull the drive out tonight and see what I have in there.
Thanks!

#1597203 - 01/05/19 05:34 PM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: roland880vsrhd]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

if you change the display to read remaining MB, that will help.

Also, just be sure to have the power off - it doesn't hurt to unplug it too.
Be careful when removing the drive and returning it - don't force or jam it. If it's the 2.5 inch laptop drive, which I think it might be in your model, the it will slide in and out on rails of a bay adapter. Make sure you line up the drive properly when sliding it back in and don't force it.

There might be a foil/foam cushion wrapped around the drive, which will be mounted in a caddy (plastic, or metal) and be mounted to it with 4 screws on the side rails. If you can't directly read the drive brand/model/size because of a cushion around it, then remove the four screws, take the drive out of its caddy and carefully pull off the wrap (it may be tacked down with sticky tape). Make a note of the drive brand/model/size for future reference.

If the drive has been replaced with a CF or SDHC card, then all that I just said might be meaningless, except that you still need to remove the drive in order to read the info you need.

If it's an original, or standard 2.5" drive, then there will also be a pin adapter on the back and that needs to be oriented in the proper way, when you put the drive/caddy back in the unit. Take good mental notes, or a picture or two just to be sure.

It's painless, actually...... just a bit cumbersome, possibly.

#1597229 - 01/05/19 11:14 PM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: uptildawn]
roland880vsrhd Offline
Planeteer

Well, I removed the hard drive. It was actually a pretty simple procedure.
The drive is a hitachi DK23 which turns out to be a 6 gb drive.
I’m guessing this explains why I seem to run out of space long before I think I should be. I also would assume that a upgrade to a 10gb drive would solve a lot of issues for me? A brief search on eBay finds a new (not refurbished)10gb drive for $55. Any thoughts on that, or other ideas as well. I suppose on second thought I could convert to a cf card as all I really do with the unit is go to an external CD burner, not a computer.

#1597230 - 01/05/19 11:43 PM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: roland880vsrhd]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Try reformatting that 6GB drive to the 2GB partition size, if it's a available to you with your machine - it may be the 1GB is the largest you have though.

If you'd care to post a link to the hd you found, we can look over the pecs to see if it's got any obvious potential problems for the VS recorder.

Basically, though, you want something that has:
1- the right size - 2.5" laptop drive - there may be height concerns, so compare what you find to yours and try to stay close to that. Thinner would be better than thicker, I'd imagine, but I don't know how much height clearance your machine has.

2- average access time of 13ms or less (this usually refers to write speed, which is the slower of the two, I think, but I could have a foggy memory). Specs can usually still be found on the manufacturer's website and possibly in a general google search.

3- Although I think the VS can work at 4800rpm, 5400 and 7200 are better and probably more common today. I think 5400 was the rpm of all three original drives in the 3 machines I bought when they were still new.

Yes, cf card might be an alternative - there's the adapter assembly and probably a 6-inch ribbon cable to find and match up as well.

You can find a bunch of stuff here on the planet, if you take your time and do some searches of the VS forums (2480, 1680 and 880 - all have lots of scattered info, much of which I've contributed to, but lose track after awhile, since I hardly mess with it anymore). Try looking for flash, mod, VSWE, SDHC, etc... 3-letter and fewer words are more difficult to search.

#1597238 - 01/06/19 12:34 AM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: uptildawn]
roland880vsrhd Offline
Planeteer

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F372539719319

Hopefully this link works, first time trying to copy one here.
This is the drive I am considering

#1597243 - 01/06/19 01:25 AM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: roland880vsrhd]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

If I were you, I would write the seller and ask for the specifics I mentioned before - at least, brand, model, average seek time - seller says 40GB, okay and understood how anything smaller is so hard to find today. Seller says they're new - any chance they can provide pictures of the actual drive they would be mailing to you in advance of buying, to see for yourself that they are at least likely to be new and not used and/or refurbished (claims they are not either). Or at least in order for you to hunt up the specs yourself, if they can't provide them, which I would think they should as a courtesy to you, the buyer.

In the end, it may not matter a whole lot - a new drive that's been sitting on the shelf for 15 years could fail as easily as anything, I suppose. I'd make sure they have a DOA return policy of at least 14 days.

Not that I don't trust this seller - I don't trust anybody that doesn't provide specifics, or only the bare minimum of info....... especially when there's paragraphs of big colorful text..... but maybe that's just my opinion. I hope they turn out to be great, 'cause like I said, these are getting harder to come by. Besides, I've been using used spinners for many years and only had two failures - luckily, from what I gather.

Edited by uptildawn (01/06/19 01:26 AM)

#1600077 - 01/28/19 04:58 PM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: uptildawn]
DapperDan99 Offline
Planeteer

I use an sd card in my vs880, it works fine, and easy to swap cards if I fill it up. I beleive there are a number of youtube videos that show how. its just an adapter that changes IDE to sd card.

much easier to find new sd cards, than new 6gb hard drives.

youtube links for conversion

#1600093 - 01/28/19 08:10 PM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: DapperDan99]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

If you go the route of flash card adapters, you might want to consider a CF card adapter over an SD card adapter. SD card adapters and compatibility with the VS has not proven to be very consistent over time. CF adapters, on the other hand, appear to be a more consistent design - at least as far as the VS is concerned. If you want to use SD cards instead of CF cards, you can also find CF to SD adapters that look like CF cards and fit in the CF adapter slot.

#1601517 - 02/09/19 01:39 AM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: uptildawn]
roland880vsrhd Offline
Planeteer

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283363400001

Well, I found this but it doesn’t list vsr -880 as being compatible. I wonder if it is and just not listed. My main question here is the amount of storage space it contains. Any information on this?

#1601523 - 02/09/19 03:04 AM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: roland880vsrhd]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

check out this list of internal ide cf card readers like what you'd need to use - similar, if not the same as the one in your listing link -
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4...=cf+card+reader

and this looks identical to the one I used in my external CD RACK unit (although I'm sure I could be different - it's been many years)-
https://www.amazon.com/CF-adapter-card-3...l+adapter&psc=1

In fact, here's the entirety of the post I copied from somewhere here back in 2017 - shows links and gives the product names of the linked items this person bought. I don't know that a dual cf adapter will do much good for a VS user, since it won't recognize both, but for the price - and if it turns out to work, you're ahead of the game -

Also, you'd need to consider a few things in order to mod your machine to make this an internal substitute for the spinner drive - assuming you're is there - if it is and you have the caddy that it's housed in, then you might check out the cf adapter version that doesn't have a housing...... it's just a card holder on a circuit board with the pins out the back and should plug right into the caddy pin adapter that the hard drive was in (is in). Those can also be easily found on amazon - you can always do some research there and then buy wherever you find a good price... I'm not saying you shouldn't buy from this seller, but even with the 6-inch cable and some screws, 85.00 seems a bit steep to me......

Here' that other poster's text:

20170307 VS CF Card Mod Current Links

I just realized that I do pull out the CF adapter card to remove the side mounted SD card when I transfer to the PC. But the configuration still works when I re-insert everything, so go figure.

Anyway, for any 1824 users here seeking to replace the hard drive in 2017, here’s what I sourced:

This is the IDE to CF adapter. It’s exactly the same form factor as the existing internal hard drive and requires no modifications (you can use existing 4 screws to mount, and it slides right into place). The orientation is obvious in an 1824 because the pins only line up in one direction when mounted. You will need to break off one pin with needle nose pliers - just place the existing internal drive on top of the adapter as a guide:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036DDXUM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the CF to SD adapter that houses the SD Card:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311679669327?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This is the 8GB SD Card:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WE6D44/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Total cost was about $30, not including shipping. The upside is a much quieter experience and a VS that is more vibration proof for recording. A known downside is some slower screen refreshes under certain circumstances.

That’s it for now! My next 1824 project is replacing the factory fan with a quieter model I just ordered. I’ll start a separate thread for that particular mod once I test it out.

Edited by EnzymeX (03/07/17 03:16 PM)

In case the seller links go stale, here's part names and photo links.

Syba Dual Compact Flash to 44 Pin IDE 2.5" Adapter Enclosure (SD-ADA45006):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B68GAayzV8_kVnlGZjVTczk4VXc/view?usp=sharing

SDXC SDHC WIFI SD to Type I Compact Flash Card Adapter CF Adapter:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B68GAayzV8_kcGVyQ2lFMllYdEU/view?usp=sharing

Transcend 8GB Class 10 SDHC Card (TS8GSDHC10):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B68GAayzV8_kb0lvYk5fODdYMVU/view?usp=sharing

Edited by EnzymeX (03/07/17 03:07 PM)

#1609870 - 04/16/19 03:51 AM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: DapperDan99]
dvarve Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Corona, CA
Hi,

I've purchased two SD to IDE adapters and they are both doing the same thing. When I fire up my 880EX or 880 V-Expanded I get a message that states "SYS Init. Drive=IDE:U." I format the SD card and it works like the HDD, but after shutting down and restarting, I get the same message and have to reformat before it lets me go further. In other words, I can never save anything from one session to the next. Any thoughts on why this might be happening? I tried the CF card option, too, but the VS 880s won't even recognize it to go forward. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by dvarve (04/16/19 03:52 AM)

#1609873 - 04/16/19 04:09 AM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: dvarve]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

To my knowledge, nobody has ever come up with a definitive answer to why this happens - the unformatted drive thing - except to suggest that it might have to do with the VS not being able to deal with certain changes in components from one version/build of an adapter card to another, even though they might appear to look the same as cards that work and even though pc/mac computers are seemingly fine with them.

It's interesting that you haven't been able to get the CF adapter to work, since it's the only type I've known to have worked where the SD adapters did not. Can you give use details about the adapter(s) and cards that you are using for the CF mod, along with links to the exact card and adapter you bought? Maybe somebody can spot something different about them that could possibly be at odds with the VS.

#1609880 - 04/16/19 05:49 AM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: uptildawn]
dvarve Offline
Planeteer

This is the most recent one I received.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGNYXQ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was marketed under what I'm assuming is the brand "Optimal Shop," but it looks exactly like the "Qnine" I received last week:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N33LAVV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried the "10th pin from the left" mod I read in some of the threads to no avail, so this one can't go back.

I also purchased a CF adapter and a CF card: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07899TZF9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neither the VS880EX or my VS880 V-Xpanded even recognizes there is a drive waiting to be initialized with the CF to IDE adapter.

Here is the CF disk I put in the adapter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VY7HYM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

If you have any links, or know of the specific brands that you've had success with, maybe getting something that matches what has worked for you will work for me.

Thank you for the response.

#1609891 - 04/16/19 01:30 PM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: dvarve]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Well, as you note, these cards look identical most times, but the components will change from batch to batch sometimes, even if they are all made by the same manufacturer. It's often impossible to tell, as many of the main parts have little to no identification marks on them. But that Optimal Shop card is actually different from the Qnine in at least one respect, in that you had to remove the tenth pin of the Optimal Shop card and it came that way with the Qnine.

I hope you removed the correct pin - but even so, there's no telling why the adapters we all first bought for the mod seem to work, but later card buyers reported failure.

The one thing I note about the CF adapter is that it has a two position jumper for master/slave. Did you check to make sure it is in the master position? And if so, did you try the other position just to be sure it isn't labeled incorrectly?

The Transcend cf card at 133x speed should be fine for this mod. It's the newer high speed cards that I'd question - especially those with extra features built in for high tech cameras.

The problem with posting links for these adapters is that even if you find one of the original links I posted (or anyone else posted) to still be good, there's no telling if the product is the same and it likely is not the same - especially not after 5 years or more, but probably not even after a year, I think.

Wish I had more to offer.

#1609987 - 04/16/19 11:58 PM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: uptildawn]
dvarve Offline
Planeteer

I didn't even notice the jumper. (What does an adapter card need with a sweater, anyway!) I moved the jumper to the other side and got the same message where it stopped at "Setup IDE" and won't go any further. I removed the jumper altogether, and it at least changed the message to "SYS Init.Drive=NoDrv" with the "NoDrv" blinking. It will even move to "SYS PhysicalFmt=" On/Off options, the "SYS Partition=" 1000/500MBs option, and "Sys SurfaceScan" On/Off options, but nothing happens when I push "Enter." Do I need to find a way to format the CF card, or clone a working drive to the CF card? I'm just throwing everything at the wall at this point to see what may stick.
#1609995 - 04/17/19 12:48 AM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: dvarve]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

If the VS recognizes and acknowledges the adapter and card, then it will allow you to format it. It won't help to try and preformat the card, if the VS won't let you get that far.

Oh - and if you do get it to get far enough to format - be sure and leave (or switch) physical format and surface scan OFF. You definitely don't want to do this with flash media - it wastes valuable write operations time - or so it's been said.

Just initialize it and set it to the highest partition size allowed.

#1610168 - 04/18/19 02:45 AM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: uptildawn]
dvarve Offline
Planeteer

I don't know what the hell just happened. I bought an SD to CF card adapter and used the CF interface (that previously would not read at all). I placed the SD card that I had formatted several times when I'd receive the "SYS Init. Drive=IDE:U" notice which would reinitialize the SD card each time.

The first couple of tries, I kept getting that same message, although it wouldn't actually initialize. It'd just keep going back to "SYS Init. Drive=IDE:U." About the third time it actually took, and seems to be working. I'm not holding my breath that I will get this result each time I turn the thing on, but for now, I'm going with it and hope that it won't lose whatever work I put on the thing.

I'm hoping this is the fix I needed. It'd be awesome to spend $10 or less on an SD card each time I need a new drive. Thank you for your help! I'll be sure to chime in again if anything changes.

#1610173 - 04/18/19 03:42 AM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: dvarve]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Hooray! Please do keep posting updates!
Best to come up with a strategy to save whatever you do get recorded into wav files on a pc, if possible......
Of course if you've never used the (far too) few tools we have to get our tracks onto a pc, then there's a whole new and even bigger rabbit hole to jump into...

#1610178 - 04/18/19 04:26 AM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: uptildawn]
dvarve Offline
Planeteer

I know I'm way under-utilizing my VS. I have, however, managed to get the tracks from the VS digital out, to a sound card, and onto Audacity, which can eventually output to an mp3. It works for me. Also, I actually have some old Jaz drives and something called an Orb that hooks up to the SCSI, so I can back-up the raw files and move them from SD card to SD card now. I'm certain if I commit more time to this thing I've owned for more than twenty years, I might actually become somewhat adept and more knowledgeable of what this thing can do. Especially now that I have storage options, I can go nuts and not worry about running out of space. I'm glad this forum is still active. Thanks again!
#1610180 - 04/18/19 04:28 AM Re: Memory upgrade question [Re: dvarve]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Sounds like you've got yourself covered - nice going!

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159755 Topics
1849631 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.