Topic Options
#1616720 - 06/11/19 04:23 PM "On Your Way"
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: SL.UT
https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/on-your-way-2

this is the 2nd mix i've posted,
I am close to wrapping up 6 tunes, this is one of them.
i know i need to tweak the vox levels in a few places,
seems too loud in spots, too soft in spots.

questions:
1. is the bass too loud?
2. how is the EQ translation overall?

#1616725 - 06/11/19 05:31 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: gonzo]
mobofsquirrels Offline
Debaser
Planeteer

It translates well to shitty laptop speakers, in case you were wondering. I dig it. Great vocals, once again.
#1616737 - 06/11/19 06:48 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: gonzo]
FalconEddy Offline
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Loc: Litchfield, NH, USA
The mix levels are good, but it sounds really dry; especially vocals.

If that's what you're looking for, you've achieved it.

Not the way I would have gone.

. . Falcon

#1616739 - 06/11/19 06:49 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: mobofsquirrels]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: mobofsquirrels
It translates well to shitty laptop speakers, in case you were wondering. I dig it. Great vocals, once again.

HEY MOBO,
thanks for that, yea, i gotta think about laptop's too...

i have a room correction software, that allows me to do simulations of stuff like boom boxes and laptops...
i did not use it on this mix yet,, that's a good idea,
for me to go back and do that, and see if it tells me anything.
thanks.

#1616740 - 06/11/19 06:54 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: FalconEddy]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: FalconEddy
The mix levels are good, but it sounds really dry; especially vocals.

If that's what you're looking for, you've achieved it.

Not the way I would have gone.

. . Falcon

hey falcon!

yea, i know, i'm tending to go more dry...
i like the immediacy of it, versus going for classic big room sounds...
the drums, haha, you might recognize those from another song of mine, i reused the drum part! it's a single two-track file...
and it's got the 'big room' sound, which i tried to dial out a bit, by using a plug in studio one called 'binaural pan', which lets me either widen, or tighten the stereo spread on a stereo file,
and i drew it inward about 30%, and that shrunk the room.
i DO have some light small room verb on the rhythms, and i've got some delay on the guitars, and a slapback that is lightly pulled into the vocals...
plus some obvious effects.

but you know,
i tried the bigger verbs, both synthetic and IR,
and i guess i just felt like it had to be dry.

maybe your suggestion, is worth a re-visit.
i may try a single different verb, and just do sends from the sub busses to that, in varying degrees, just to see if it still sits as tight as i want it after...
it's an easy thing to delete if it doesn't work.

good stuff guys, thanks!

#1616741 - 06/11/19 07:01 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: gonzo]
mobofsquirrels Offline
Debaser
Planeteer

dry is good. I like the impact. Small room works well for this song, I think.
#1616757 - 06/11/19 08:19 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: mobofsquirrels]
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
you seem to be quite full of yourself today.

#1616867 - 06/12/19 04:30 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: mobofsquirrels]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: mobofsquirrels
dry is good. I like the impact. Small room works well for this song, I think.

yea, i'm playing with that (verb choice) today

i think i printed effects with the solo guitars, which meant all of those were miced up with an effects unit in the loop of my amplifier,
which kinda limits any changes there.

the drums have their room sound printed as well,
so no going back on that one.

#1616870 - 06/12/19 05:54 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: gonzo]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Loc: California
I like it dry, has nice impact, clear clean.

Another good'n for sure.

I like the bgvs dramatically panned, prefer them exaggerated like that.

Love the half time'y part. I'd be tempted to take even more away from that part, like not as much bass playing or extra stuff..so the return to the "band" becomes a nice contrast...in that 2:40 area. I might be tempted to not mate the bass playing always on the kick pattern, but that's just my experimental side.

I only long for the vocal, in amongst all that harmonics and grit, to be less aggressive and gritty itself, perhaps less sibilant.

Or, it's plenty good as is

"I love what you guys are trying to do up there" ...from an audience member at one of my gigs.
Gear: Fender Medium pick

#1616878 - 06/12/19 06:37 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: motown59]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
I agree with kel: I like the dry-ish but up front immediacy for this song, it just fits/works.

I totally dig the crunch tones you're getting on rhythm guitar with 1-2 in-between position on your strat. Excellent definition. Different EQ on the left and right works perfectly.
Your multi tracking is tight but not too tight - it breathes and is natural, naturally moving some just by the differences in playing, etc., especially on the high notes when chording.
I dig the little trem slides in the intro, very tasty! Dancing days inspired?
Interesting faux-wah on the breaks - or on second listen, a leslie/phase-ish sound. The only thing about that I don't quite like is that the cancelled frequencies tend to make the guitar disappear a little on the first one. It would sound good moving a bit from side to side, and there's room in the mix to do it.
Panning is excellent and moves a little bit here and there, which as said about one of your other songs, helps to carve out space. Always excellent!
The major break in the middle sounds very cool - using your pick to slide across the strings (with one delay) and a gong hit, with some verb processing all around.
I like the one time few notes on the left at 3:15. Things like that make songs come alive.

Of course, all of your riffs and solos sound good and are tasty, as always.

Vocals are very good and the harmonies are about perfect. You buried the verb on them in a very good way. They sound big/wide in spots, for not being in your face, like at the 2:20 mark or so and then at 3:00. They fade into the solo guitar really nicely at the 1:45.

I think the bass sounds perfect. It's got weight while being defined. You dig in at just the right times. I like the slides too. add

Drums are good. Heavily compressed snare works well and doesn't take up any more space than it needs. I might add a little volume to the hats though, maybe the kick too *it sounds good though, the beater sound is good).

Overall, excellent ... again.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1616902 - 06/12/19 10:12 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: motown59]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: motown59
I like it dry, has nice impact, clear clean.

Another good'n for sure.

I like the bgvs dramatically panned, prefer them exaggerated like that.

Love the half time'y part. I'd be tempted to take even more away from that part, like not as much bass playing or extra stuff..so the return to the "band" becomes a nice contrast...in that 2:40 area. I might be tempted to not mate the bass playing always on the kick pattern, but that's just my experimental side.

I only long for the vocal, in amongst all that harmonics and grit, to be less aggressive and gritty itself, perhaps less sibilant.

Or, it's plenty good as is

hey kel!
thanks for the detailed listen..
i like your idea of slightly stripping down the 2nd half slow section...
i'll try it a couple of different ways, mix levels, dropping bass out, dropping guitars out..
could be neat with just the solo and the bass..

i made the lead vocal aggressive with the use of an 1176 plug, one of the waves CLA plugs i have...
i felt like it needed to be gritty, to match the vibe of the song,
but i DO have a de-esser on it, maybe i haven't hit the right freqs with it.

another thing to play with

tnx again!

#1617091 - 06/14/19 02:14 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: MadGuitrst]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

wow, mad, you packed a whole lot into your post!!!

and hey, i appreciate any feedback, so this is great

Originally Posted By: MadGuitrst
I agree with kel: I like the dry-ish but up front immediacy for this song, it just fits/works.

so, there is a slapback delay on the lead vox, and i'm running it thru a 1176 emu to get it hot, but the slapback is barely there...maybe i'll boost it a snidge and see if it still sounds 'dry'

I totally dig the crunch tones you're getting on rhythm guitar with 1-2 in-between position on your strat. Excellent definition. Different EQ on the left and right works perfectly.

i used the usacg build on the left, and my ibanez artist on the right. i think i had the boogie set clean, but driven by the barber direct drive.
on the 2nd heavier half, i used the usacg bridge only, with the boogie pretty hot.

Your multi tracking is tight but not too tight - it breathes and is natural, naturally moving some just by the differences in playing, etc., especially on the high notes when chording.

you know, i love listening to bands that have the ultimate tight multi tracked rhythms, such as petrucci with dream theatre...but even tho i can do it that tight, i still have this feeling that i want more 'rock' vibe, which to me, is more loosy-goosey, so i tend to exaggerate shapes and movement which purposefully stand out against each other. you picked up on that wonderfully, it aint an accident!
call it my 'stones' influence.

I dig the little trem slides in the intro, very tasty! Dancing days inspired?
Interesting faux-wah on the breaks - or on second listen, a leslie/phase-ish sound. The only thing about that I don't quite like is that the cancelled frequencies tend to make the guitar disappear a little on the first one. It would sound good moving a bit from side to side, and there's room in the mix to do it.

dancing days, definitely, even tho page was using a device i didnt' even know existed back when i was trying to play that song (b bender, and hell, open tunings?!! crap!!!)
the leslie effect is my fulltone Mini Deja Vibe pedal.
and those cancelled freqs are, yes, cancelled freqs!! LOL, i thought at the time, this might not work, but kept it anyway.
i think what i have to do for that one section, is automate some eq, and bring out the freqs that are NOT cancelled, and amplify the effect more to compensate. i know how to do this, and am experimenting now.
the panning is a good idea as well. i have moved parts around, and cross-panned the part. sounds cool.

Panning is excellent and moves a little bit here and there, which as said about one of your other songs, helps to carve out space. Always excellent!

i have a lot of active panning in this song, but most of it is subtle.

The major break in the middle sounds very cool - using your pick to slide across the strings (with one delay) and a gong hit, with some verb processing all around.
I like the one time few notes on the left at 3:15. Things like that make songs come alive.

Of course, all of your riffs and solos sound good and are tasty, as always.

man, i'm glad you dig my riffs!

Vocals are very good and the harmonies are about perfect. You buried the verb on them in a very good way. They sound big/wide in spots, for not being in your face, like at the 2:20 mark or so and then at 3:00. They fade into the solo guitar really nicely at the 1:45.

i've got verb on the backups, and they are on a separate bus. again, active pans on the backups, sometimes they are straight up centered, and sometimes wide panned, sometimes soft panned. it changes from section to section.

I think the bass sounds perfect. It's got weight while being defined. You dig in at just the right times. I like the slides too.

that bass, is the 5th bass track i recorded. i tried different settings not knowing how i wanted the whole track to feel, and picked the one that felt the best....
can i duplicate it?

hell no.
LOL
dont' remember what i did.

Drums are good. Heavily compressed snare works well and doesn't take up any more space than it needs. I might add a little volume to the hats though, maybe the kick too *it sounds good though, the beater sound is good).

an admittance of guilt on my part,
i lifted that drum track from a previous drum track,
i just liked it a lot, and wanted to see if i could write something totally different, against the same drum track.

here's the original track:
https://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/1-first-tracks

#1617119 - 06/14/19 06:05 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: gonzo]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
Quick listen on the 2.1 in the office....

Technically....I didn't hear anything that stood out as "whoa--fix that". FWIW--it sounds solid.

Artistically, I think there's room to come up with some unique treatment of the harmony vocals to make them UUge and wide on top and add a little "macro dynamic" that comes and goes to the tune, which otherwise is a pretty static as rock tends to be. I'd have to play with them and gets a sense for how many tracks and such to really know how possible that is....but, it might be worth a "save as" and establishing a new stereo bus for the Bvox....to see if you can get them really airy and wide. Like "here's the width of the track rocking and then "AHHH....." opens up the highs ultra wide.....and makes it rock harder when they fade into the distance and we're back to the core guitar/bass/drum RAWK!!

#1617131 - 06/14/19 08:57 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: Popmann]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
You know Gonz, I couldn't get that song out of my head yesterday. I was walking around last night singing it to our dog and he was like, WTF...I like it! My daughter and her mom dug it too!

Funny, when I first listened all the way through, I started to make notes and said I liked the HB and the higher gain from the middle on. Then I listened again and took that out, lol.

I know you purposely let your songs breathe by not tracking too tightly (though nicely tight). Along with your panning, it really gives the tracks life AND makes for interesting repeated listening. Each time through I either notice something different or it feels that way. That's a hallmark of a lot of music that we love.

Anyway man, great stuff all around!

P.S. Personally, I wouldn't change anything at all. Everyone listening will have different thoughts/opinions, and if you try to listen to everything everyone says, you might start chasing your tail. That's just the way that it is. That's not to say to ignore everything, or something that really sticks out, but if you start re-tweaking one thing, you might (you will) have to/want to tweak others. There's just so much soundscape to occupy. Your recordings do a great job of taking advantage of space without ever sounding cramped, not such an easy thing to do. Kudos!

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1617474 - 06/17/19 02:34 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: Popmann]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Popmann
Quick listen on the 2.1 in the office....

Technically....I didn't hear anything that stood out as "whoa--fix that". FWIW--it sounds solid.

Artistically, I think there's room to come up with some unique treatment of the harmony vocals to make them UUge and wide on top and add a little "macro dynamic" that comes and goes to the tune, which otherwise is a pretty static as rock tends to be. I'd have to play with them and gets a sense for how many tracks and such to really know how possible that is....but, it might be worth a "save as" and establishing a new stereo bus for the Bvox....to see if you can get them really airy and wide. Like "here's the width of the track rocking and then "AHHH....." opens up the highs ultra wide.....and makes it rock harder when they fade into the distance and we're back to the core guitar/bass/drum RAWK!!

that's a good idea popmann...
i have an idea of what to try with the back vox...
and i just love "save-as"
LOL

#1617583 - 06/18/19 03:25 PM Re: "On Your Way" [Re: MadGuitrst]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

You know Gonz, I couldn't get that song out of my head yesterday. I was walking around last night singing it to our dog and he was like, WTF...I like it! My daughter and her mom dug it too!

wow!
man, that's success, to me, that's gold.
thanks.

I know you purposely let your songs breathe by not tracking too tightly (though nicely tight). Along with your panning, it really gives the tracks life AND makes for interesting repeated listening. Each time through I either notice something different or it feels that way. That's a hallmark of a lot of music that we love.

that bit about noticing something different,
that is something i really work at,
i spend more time dwelling on the parts being just enough different, than almost any other aspect.
maybe i shouldn't!
LOL

thanks again for your insights,
i'm definitely making some tweaks on this mix, but wont over do it.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159759 Topics
1849704 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.026 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.