Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1626743 - 08/23/19 02:53 PM SD card adapter from ebay!!!
Edgar Offline
Space Cadet

Hello everyone!
This is my first time here!
I own a Roland VS880, I use it a lot to record and later send the data via digital audio coax to the SONAR PRODUCER X2.
As Roland is old, and it is very difficult to find ide 2.5 disks in good condition and under 6gb, before being registered here I read that you could use compact flash or sd card adpater.

I was reading in the topics, coming up with a model that I thought worked perfectly, I ended up buying on ebay the model that I thought would work without problems! I mounted him on Roland with a 4gb card, he created the partitions and was ready to work! I was very happy, however every time I start Roland's shutdown process and then turn off the power button the next time I turn on Roland it starts partitioning again, erasing all the data that was previously there!
The green play LED is flashing and the display keeps asking to initialize "U", that is, every time it is energized again it is initializing all the time!

Can anyone tell me which model of SD card adapter currently compatible with VS880 ???
On Ebay, which model has someone bought and works without problems?

the link of model i got!

To all my sincere thanks!

ebay

#1626748 - 08/23/19 03:35 PM Re: SD card adapter from ebay!!! [Re: Edgar]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
The only thing I can suggest to you, having heard of many similar stories about these sd card adapter mods, is to try using a cf card adapter instead. I may have read of a couple of times when a cf adapter didn't work, but for the most part I think people have had much better luck with them.

Now, I'm pretty sure, also, that you can successfully use a sd to cf adapter that will let you continue to use sd cards, but in a cf card reader/adapter in your 880 (if you prefer, or if you pc doesn't have a slot for cf cards).

The type of sd to cf adapter I used looks like this -
https://www.amazon.com/Guangyuweiye-Extr...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

The cf adapter I used looks like something like this -
https://www.amazon.com/ASHATA-2-5-inch-C...gateway&sr=8-12

I can't even attempt to guess whether these specific units will, or won't work without that annoying re-initialize issue, but these look very much like the ones I have used.

I can suggest that you don't use a dual cf card adapter and to just stick with a single version. I think, also, that it doesn't help to use high tech or faster versions of these things. The cf devices I used successfully were all type I and/or II, if I recall. The sd cards that worked the smoothest for me were all class 6 or class 4 - again, if I recall correctly.

See if any of this helps. I hope so. The investment into the cf style should be minimal.

#1626756 - 08/23/19 05:33 PM Re: SD card adapter from ebay!!! [Re: uptildawn]
Edgar Offline
Space Cadet

Thank you so much UPTILDAWN !!!
Your help was very precious, which I will consider when deciding to buy the adapter!
Do you know if the SANDISK 8GB ULTRA 50MB / S Compact flash will be compatible or will work on the Roland VS880?

THANK YOU SO MUCH AND GREETINGS!

#1626768 - 08/23/19 07:27 PM Re: SD card adapter from ebay!!! [Re: Edgar]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Maybe that card will work fine - I have no idea. Amazon reviewers didn't seem to trust it for their camera needs, if that says anything about it...

Considering that so many people here tended to shy away from SanDisk SD cards, because of apparent incompatibility with the SD card mods, I ended up trying Sony and Transcend cards first and had no issues - SD and CF cards alike.

I saw this Transcend card for half the price and would have probably tried it, if I were buying now. You may or may not want to try it. I would think for 33.00, you might be able to try 2 cheaper cards - maybe 2 different brands, for the most chance of success even.

Notice this Transcend actually has its speed printed on the card?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W05O5O/ref=psdc_1197392_t3_B00FQOWRHE
That 133x might be the same as the SanDisk, if I read the specs they printed correctly.... But for me, it's helpful if they publish numbers I am familiar with (like that 133x) and better still when they publish more than one related spec (which helps to cross reference those that aren't so complete).

Maybe this one would work well, too?
https://www.amazon.com/Bodawei-Original-...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

It might be that 266x cf cards work well, too, but I just don't remember so much anymore. It's been more than 5 years since I took an active interest in the mods.

Maybe really fast cards work, but it's just my opinion (backed up by a couple of sluggish test results with some high speed (at the time) cards that I tried and then sold off) that the older technology is better suited for our VS recorders.

#1626795 - 08/23/19 10:00 PM Re: SD card adapter from ebay!!! [Re: uptildawn]
Edgar Offline
Space Cadet

Many thanks again UPTILDAWN !!!
Maybe I buy Sandisk Compact flash, considering that it will be second hand, I think it is good at least the seller here on the site where I saw confirms that it is operational and has some of these items for only 10 € !!! I think for the price, I will not take much risk, however if it works will be the ideal 8gb !!!
By the way, what do you think about this kind of second hand storage memory for our VS? Will they last less time ??? I know that these types of flash memories have a short lifespan compared to conventional opto-magnetic disks!

Anyway I will see how I will do..but I will buy the compact disk you mentioned, however the adapter I already have, because I bought without knowing if I would use what I think I did well, interestingly just like that you to the link indicated me!

Again, sincere thanks for your unavoidable support!

Thank you very much!

#1626824 - 08/23/19 11:38 PM Re: SD card adapter from ebay!!! [Re: Edgar]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Not sure about the lifespan of second-hand flash media.... I'm not sure if anybody can estimate how long a second-hand solid state media will last, unless it's DOA! \:\)

So far as I know (and sometimes who can tell), I have only bought new solid state devices. That includes SD, CF and SSD.
I must say that I feel less confident about their lifespan in general than I do the spinner hard drives I have used up to now, but that doesn't mean they won't be reliable.

I HAVE bought quite a number of used hard drives, both IDE and SATA, for the VS and PC alike. I may have been fortunate, but so far, so good.

I hope what you choose turns out to be great. Be sure and update this thread with your results - whether good or bad. It's always a big help for those who come after.

#1627033 - 08/25/19 07:32 PM Re: SD card adapter from ebay!!! [Re: uptildawn]
Edgar Offline
Space Cadet

Ok i will do that!!!
#1630824 - 09/30/19 08:37 AM Re: SD card adapter from ebay!!! [Re: Edgar]
Viper254 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: West Midlands, UK
Hi,

I've just used this adapter to make the conversion;

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F183871975004

And an old 4GB CF card.

Videoed myself doing it if you're interested, though it wasn't done particularly skillfully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LErDFB3_o6o

#1640995 - 01/18/20 05:32 AM Re: SD card adapter from ebay!!! [Re: Viper254]
Raybo Offline
Planeteer

Loc: New York City
Hello Viper -- I hope to revive this thread..

Your video is funky but very clear, thanks for that.
However your adaptor site is quite dead. And it's U.K.

Can anyone recommend a new version of the same in the USA....?

Your solution is great and inexpensive.. Another gentleman sells a unit that fits right in to the hard drive bay. Looks great.. More expensive but I'm tempted because of the ease..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-VS-Serie...er/283660569943

Ultimately I want to be able to put a card with VS880 material (mixes or complete backups) into the SDXC slot in my mac mini.

many thanks

My Website

My Music

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159740 Topics
1849552 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.016 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.