Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1628646 - 09/09/19 07:39 AM VS840 as slave
Viper254 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: West Midlands, UK
Hi!

Hope all's good. Got a local festival coming up at Christmas (back of a pub, rubbish bands (inc mine), lots of beer) and I'd quite like to record the night if I can - I've got very few live shows on tape and a couple of the other bands on the bill are pretty new and would probably like the tracks for themselves.

I've got the four inputs on my VS880, but I'm able to borrow a VS840 from a friend that's had the CF card conversion.

Has anybody successfully used a VS840 as a slave to the VS880 using MMC?

I'm looking at probably 3 mics on the drums, a DI from the bass amp, couple of 57s on guitar amps and a line from the main mixing desk for the vocals. Knowing the guy doing the mixing, I'd be lucky to get two seperate outs from him for vox, though I might get lucky.

#1628694 - 09/09/19 05:25 PM Re: VS840 as slave [Re: Viper254]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Look up how to synchronize using MTC - instead of MMC.
It's typical to use MTC to lock a pair of VS recorders together.
One is set as master and controls start/stop/rec functions on both machines, when operated from the MASTER transport controls.

(Don't operate the slave transport controls separately, without disengaging MIDI sync, or it messes with the sync.)

Pg 165 of the 840gx pdf manual and pg 116 of the pdf 880 manual should be the MIDI sync sections... or thereabouts.

It's fairly painless for simply syncing the 2 machines and recording. But I strongly advise that you spend an hour or two - not at the gig - learning how this works. It can seem confusing and it has little quirks (like being sure to allow for a few seconds of "pre-roll" while the two machines lock in place), but it's totally doable.

Monitoring the audio takes some figuring out, if you plan on listening through speakers (personally, I wouldn't bother during the live recording and just use headphones, switching between machines to check as you need to) and playing back in between recording takes briefly messes up the midi sync - make sure you set TAP markers at the end of each recording take, so you can quickly jump back to where you left off, if you should want to check the playback between recording takes. And then remember that midi sync takes a few heartbeats to lock, when you start recording again, so don't expect to hit record right on a count-in or something.

Best advice is to experiment for a couple hours, putting it through its paces and you will quickly get the hang of it and be ready for the live recording without having to sweat about it so much.

#1628799 - 09/10/19 07:55 AM Re: VS840 as slave [Re: uptildawn]
Viper254 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: West Midlands, UK
 Originally Posted By: uptildawn
Look up how to synchronize using MTC - instead of MMC.
It's typical to use MTC to lock a pair of VS recorders together.
One is set as master and controls start/stop/rec functions on both machines, when operated from the MASTER transport controls.

(Don't operate the slave transport controls separately, without disengaging MIDI sync, or it messes with the sync.)

Pg 165 of the 840gx pdf manual and pg 116 of the pdf 880 manual should be the MIDI sync sections... or thereabouts.

It's fairly painless for simply syncing the 2 machines and recording. But I strongly advise that you spend an hour or two - not at the gig - learning how this works. It can seem confusing and it has little quirks (like being sure to allow for a few seconds of "pre-roll" while the two machines lock in place), but it's totally doable.

Monitoring the audio takes some figuring out, if you plan on listening through speakers (personally, I wouldn't bother during the live recording and just use headphones, switching between machines to check as you need to) and playing back in between recording takes briefly messes up the midi sync - make sure you set TAP markers at the end of each recording take, so you can quickly jump back to where you left off, if you should want to check the playback between recording takes. And then remember that midi sync takes a few heartbeats to lock, when you start recording again, so don't expect to hit record right on a count-in or something.

Best advice is to experiment for a couple hours, putting it through its paces and you will quickly get the hang of it and be ready for the live recording without having to sweat about it so much.

Thankyou for the detailed response - I had MTC and MMC the wrong way around, as I was aiming to get the transports locked as you suggest.

I'll have to see what I can come up with in regards to monitoring - headphones are the route I would have gone down as well.

I'll spend an evening with the two machines at home, and also in the rehearsal studio the week before; that should help me iron out any kinks, I hope.

The last time I recorded a live gig was with two minidisc machines, so I'm hoping this can only be simpler!

Thanks again \:\)

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159748 Topics
1849597 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.015 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.