Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1631473 - 10/05/19 07:41 PM problems going from 880 ex to pro tools via master & aux send
defjamblaster Offline
Space Cadet

hello, i want to record 4 tracks at a time separated into pro tools. i'm going analog, so i have 4 cables into a patch bay, into my digi 002. out from l&r master, aux send a&b.

when i assign tracks 3&4 to aux send and remove them from the mix output, they sound bad in pro tools. 1&2 sound fine.

i've checked the patch bay and it sounds fine if i switch the cables around; aux send sounds bad no matter where i patch it to, while master sounds fine.

i've looked in the manual but don't see anything about this. any ideas?

#1631483 - 10/05/19 09:10 PM Re: problems going from 880 ex to pro tools via master & aux send [Re: defjamblaster]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
What do you mean by - they sound bad - can you qualify what 'bad' is?

You have very little to change or adjust in the 880ex, when routing tracks to the aux outputs, so it's difficult to imagine what is happening to your sound when you assign any tracks to the aux outs and they sound bad...

It's good that you more or less eliminated the pc side of things by swapping the inputs to the patch bay. Have you tried assigning tracks 1 and 2 to the aux outputs of the 880 to see if they sound okay, or have the same 'bad' quality that 3 and 4 do?

Have you checked the very few settings you can adjust that pertain to the aux outputs - I think that's pan and volume, only?

#1631486 - 10/05/19 11:15 PM Re: problems going from 880 ex to pro tools via master & aux send [Re: uptildawn]
defjamblaster Offline
Space Cadet

they sound lower & distorted..i have not tried routing 1&2 out of aux to see how they sound, i'll try that.

is there a "direct out" mode that automatically sends tracks 1-4 to the master & aux? when i try to access any settings under master out, i get a message saying turn off solo mode, but i can't find how to do that either

#1631488 - 10/06/19 12:20 AM Re: problems going from 880 ex to pro tools via master & aux send [Re: defjamblaster]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

If solo mode is turned on, then maybe that's the source of the problem with 3/4 on the aux out. You should figure out how to turn solo mode on and off and try that. You might also try sending 1/2 out the aux, but if solo mode is engaged, then that routing may also prove to be a problem until you turn off solo mode. Look up "Solo Function" in the 880ex owners manual - it's pg 148 of the pdf version.

Yes, you can send the tracks out direct - the difference there is that direct mode will output the direct, dry sound on the tracks. So if you have effects applied (inserted, post or pre, makes no difference), they will not be included. This also goes for any track mixer settings, including volume, eq and pan. The only way to pre-process the tracks for complete processed direct out recording is to learn to "bounce" them and their processing to unused tracks/v-tracks and then send those processed tracks through the direct outs.

If you have never bounced tracks to "print" mixer and effects settings, I'm sure it will require some reading and an experiment or two in order to figure out how it works.

#1631494 - 10/06/19 01:09 AM Re: problems going from 880 ex to pro tools via master & aux send [Re: uptildawn]
defjamblaster Offline
Space Cadet

ok, i want the direct out, with dry signals. i believe i have disabled solo mode. do yo know what page i can find the direct out procedure? I am looking myself also...

edit: to be clear, i want tracks 1&2 out of the master, tracks 3&4 out of aux so they record on separate track in protools

Edited by defjamblaster (10/06/19 01:13 AM)

#1631502 - 10/06/19 02:32 AM Re: problems going from 880 ex to pro tools via master & aux send [Re: defjamblaster]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Since you seem to be able to find the information you require eventually, you might try using the 880ex manual's index to look up the page or pages where the term direct out, or something similar can be found.

As much as I enjoy helping people out here, I am not the information and research center for the Roland VS recorder, thank you.

I'm sure you will find the info simply enough... but thanks for asking.

#1631523 - 10/06/19 03:44 PM Re: problems going from 880 ex to pro tools via master & aux send [Re: uptildawn]
defjamblaster Offline
Space Cadet

..thanks? lol, i don't have any expectations of you in particular, just if anyone recognized my problems and knew where to look for solutions. for example, i'm not even sure if direct out is a thing, because i have already searched the manual before asking here and didn't find it, so someone may know what it's called in roland terms. i do appreciate your help though.
#1631528 - 10/06/19 04:17 PM Re: problems going from 880 ex to pro tools via master & aux send [Re: defjamblaster]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

pg160 of the pdf manual - https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/vs-880ex/owners_manuals/

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/141920/Roland-Vs-880ex.html#

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/141920/Roland-Vs-880ex.html?page=160&term=direct+out&selected=11

I don't mind helping out, but it gets tedious to look things up in the manual, just to relay a page number for something that's this easy to find. Besides, a person gets so much more out of the experience of going through the hunt and experimenting with the guide - vague as it may be at time.

Don't hesitate to ask for help just because of my attitude though. This is an incredible source for help, information and guidance - here on the Planet.

Edited by uptildawn (10/06/19 04:18 PM)

#1631539 - 10/06/19 06:33 PM Re: problems going from 880 ex to pro tools via master & aux send [Re: uptildawn]
defjamblaster Offline
Space Cadet

i have a pdf manual from Hook's VS-880EX Information Pages as well as the original paper manual. there's not a page 160 in either, and the pdf manual i was reading from Hook's links doesn't show any results for "direct out", although of course, i see it in the link you provided. so i AM trying to find it on my end before i post here, but i'm not sure what is wrong. there seems to be different manuals for the expanded 880. i can understand your frustration if it would have been that easy for me to find it myself lol, but it's just not in those manuals that i had, and i didn't know there was yet another version of a manual...i'm sure it's still user error, but i cannot figure out what i'm doing wrong here.

disregarding the manual issues, i am definitely missing something even following what you linked, because even when i go through the edit options, direct out never appears.

i see master mode,master level,master bal,aux level,aux bal,eff1 ins,eff1 snd,eff1 send bal,eff1 rtn,eff1 rtn lev,eff1 rtn bal, same options for eff2,stereoin, and thats it.

is it possible that there was a second os update back in the day that i am missing? i have version 3.10.

alos, i have the original 880, then got the expanded software update when it came out. i don't know if there was a version of the unit that came expanded already, so does that affect what's going on here?

#1631550 - 10/06/19 07:11 PM Re: problems going from 880 ex to pro tools via master & aux send [Re: defjamblaster]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Okay - the 880 v-xpanded is not the same machine as the 880ex, for starters. That would explain why your sources don't match to the ones I've link to for you.

An aside - to find out exactly which os version you have, you need to power up with the power switch (not from restart), while holding down the track and status buttons for channel 1. You can let go of the buttons once the boot screens start up. The full x.xxx version number will be displayed - notice the 3 decimal places, vs. the 2 you see under normal startup. I suppose this was one of Roland's ways to secretly protect us from ourselves, or some such nonsense.... it is what it is.

Once you have the full version number, you can check the roland updates pages (manuals and updates at rolandus.com us where I search). Use the alphabetical listing under the V's for VS-880. Be sure to check the correct model - not 880ex.

If you do not have the last os version, you could go through the effort of downloading and installing it - there will only be one version, in several options (pc, mac, maybe more). You could hold off on dealing with this until you have your primary objective accomplished, however. I don't believe an os update will gain you anything related to using the direct outs.

You might find it helpful to also download the available manuals for the 880 (and 880 v-xpanded, if separately listed), so you have them in pdf form as well... Although they won't have search links for page numbers since they are simple scans of the original manuals, they still are handy and sometimes faster than paging through the physical books.

Let's see........ it appears that the 880 doesn't have direct out capability. It's been so long since I used the 880 for anything significant, I had to look it up in the manuals, myself.

It appears that you next best bet will be to go back to your original plan, get solo mode turned off and figure out why your tacks don't sound as they should when you send those 4 outputs to your pc.

Another option would be to send one pair of tracks out the digital outputs, maybe. Your pc interface will need to have the matching type of spdif connectors - coaxial, or optical - and you will need the necessary cables. I believe that would allow you to send tracks 1/2 out the main analog outs, while simultaneously sending 3/4 (hard panned left and right to keep them separate) out your digital output pair (Sorry - can't send all 4 tracks separately, digital at the same time - only one pair coax, or optical can be engaged for this purpose at a time).

At least that might be a workaround for the volume output issue, if you can't find the problem and fix it.

#1631564 - 10/06/19 10:01 PM Re: problems going from 880 ex to pro tools via master & aux send [Re: uptildawn]
defjamblaster Offline
Space Cadet

ok, thanks for helping me sort that all out, i started thinking there must be some different devices / versions of the 880 that i was not initially aware of. for now, i will use midi sync and do several passes of 2 tracks at a time to get it done until i can find out what's up with my aux send. better than nothing. thanks again.
#1631570 - 10/06/19 10:17 PM Re: problems going from 880 ex to pro tools via master & aux send [Re: defjamblaster]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Midi sync a handful of tracks at a time - I remember it well...

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159740 Topics
1849557 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.036 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.