Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1637734 - 12/05/19 10:45 AM Help! VS2480CD "Operation Failed" error while burning audio CDs - even after reformatting
axelegend Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Cleveland, OH, USA
Hey everyone!

I'm a long-time VS2480CD owner and user and LOVE this forum. I have owned my VS2480CD unit for 15 years, and haven't had any major issues. It is still completely original from the factory. I did purchase a Song Vault DVD burner, which I use almost exclusively for backups and burning audio CDs.

I very rarely post anything here, but check in on a regular basis and am reaching out to pick your brains about an issue that has developed over the past couple of months - and which has worsened over the past week.

Over the past 2 months, my VS2480CD developed some minor cracks and pops during playback - which usually goes away after a few minutes of operation. I've had no issues with major static or crackles - and any new tracks that I record do not have any crackles. Starting at around the same time, when I would go to burn finished mastered tracks to CD, the unit would occasionally provide me with an "Operation Failed" error message and not burn CDs. This happened whenever I tried different CD-Rs - it also happened when trying the external Song Vault DVD burner AND when using the internal CD burner. After backing up my projects and reformatting the hard drive in September, the pops and crackles went away - and the CD burners worked fine for about a month.

Within the past week, however, I have again reformatted the hard drive a couple times - both times with Physical Format and Surface Scan set to "ON". I have had no problems whatsoever with reformatting the hard drive, recording new material, reinstalling plug-ins, recovering projects from backup DVDs, playing CDs, or with backing up my projects. When I recover a project from the backup DVD and do not make any changes, I can burn audio CDs without any issues. However, if I make and save ANY changes to projects once recovered to the hard drive prior to burning a CD, they will not burn to CD. The VS2480CD acts as if it's going to start burning, but then "Operation Failed" appears on the screen, the blank CD-R is ejected (it doesn't matter if I use the internal CD burner or the external Song Vault burner), and then the VS2480CD unit doesn't do anything afterward. There is no option to cancel or "EXIT" the CD Burning process, either - so I'm forced to do a hard restart (which I absolutely HATE to do).

I have the same issue with all projects, new and old - and even when I copy one or multiple projects to another partition. I also religiously optimize my projects once I get my final takes and mixes nailed down, so as to save space.

Does this sound like the hard drive might be starting to fail? It IS 14 years old, and has never been replaced. I've had similar issues in the past, but they were intermittent - and were always solved by reformatting the hard drive. Now it is constant - even after reformatting... except when I recover a project from the backup DVD and burn audio CDs without making or saving any changes to the project, as stated earlier.

I've been considering upgrading to a solid state hard drive for awhile, and have even bought the JP103-5 IDE to SATA adapter and am considering picking up a Samsung 860 EVO SSD 256GB drive, but would like any input before taking the unit apart and performing some minor surgery. I am an electrical engineer with some experience with circuit boards and electronic components, so I'm not afraid to try the SSD conversion process. However, if something else is wrong, I'm questioning whether it'd be worth the time and energy to convert my 15-year old unit over to an SSD hard drive.

Have any of you experienced something similar before with burning audio CDs? If so, did you find a solution - and what was it?

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to include as much information and details as possible. Please let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions!

Edited by axelegend (12/05/19 10:57 AM)

email: webmaster@electricshockmusic.com

#1637802 - 12/05/19 06:16 PM Re: Help! VS2480CD "Operation Failed" error while burning audio CDs - even after reformatting [Re: axelegend]
March Offline
Planeteer

Loc: IA
If I were you, I would start with the simplest solution and work upwards. The machine is indeed old, but there is no reason why it shouldn't perform well if all the components are up the snuff.

A hard drive is quite cheap--and tolerably reliable. Changing it is a piece of cake--you don't have to solder anything. I personally think that upgrading to a SSD has its advantages, of course (more silent, a tad faster, and hell! it's an "upgrade") but in terms of reliability... I dunno. I have an Eventide outboard and tried to update its OS on a flashcard out of its box, and it failed. Not many people here would be ready to testify that their SSD has been working flawlessly for 15 years, I guess.

But that's just me.

If the new hard drive is still giving you problems, you might want to think of upgrading--even though, if this is the case, the culprit is not the hard drive (or the newer SSD) but the motherboard.

I don't even think that the SSD will make the machine significantly faster; I had one installed on an outboard and the SCSI bottleneck still slowed it down noticeably--but I might be wrong.

Again, if it were me, I wouldn't introduce new elements into the equation right off the bat. Hard drives have moving parts and are bound to fail at some point. I'll begin by performing this easy and cheap operation and continue exploiting the machine for what it is--it sure has enough qualities to hold up with other equivalent recording stations, no matter how new and flashy they are.

And, like old Frank used to say, keep on tracking

#1637826 - 12/05/19 11:07 PM Re: Help! VS2480CD "Operation Failed" error while burning audio CDs - even after reformatting [Re: March]
keeppracticing Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Atlanta
Used hard drives are cheap, used cd/dvd burners are cheap....I'd definitely replace the hard drive and pick up a couple of burners while you're at it, too, to have on standby just in case it is the burner causing the problem.
Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
5 registered (mrsinical, Wish, Doofie, jimmyrock, 1 invisible) and 11 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Jazzooo
Al
Silversmith
Timster
Tom Mix
Ismellelephant
Popmann
gonzo
NOK
Mooseboy
moontan
C Jo Go
Doughboy
flatcat
paulb
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
fonts
Gretsch 6120
vvvm
String Jammer
Vanillagrits
glensimonds
T57Strat
GAMBLE
Jammer
SteveW
JazAddict
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
Dave Morris
Liquidirt
Delso
Slabraton
slotz
LakeStone Karl
Milkman
Forum Stats
21081 Members
27 Forums
140343 Topics
1619561 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 11/19/19 07:32 PM
Newest Members
Topgooner, Npattison, sammyopop, William1, kelvin
21082 Registered Users

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.