Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1637919 - 12/07/19 04:32 AM please help: VS-1680 effects problem...effects 1 and 2 sound weak/low volume
AdamAudio Offline
Space Cadet

i am mid-project, recording a song on my VS-1680. i have both effects cards installed. for some reason, on this particular song, effects 1 and 2 are extremely weak. i can hear them when i turn them on, but they are very low volume. at first, i thought the machine was having a problem or failure, but when i switch to another song in the machine, effects 1,2,3,4 all work just fine. i have never had this issue before. i am wondering if i accidentally pressed something or enabled some function that is messing with the effects. i have messed with the settings for hours to no avail. it's driving me crazy. how can i restore the effects to normal functionality? does this issue sound familiar to anyone? why would the effects be working, but super weak signal? i'm sorry if i'm not doing a good job explaining the issue, but feel free to ask questions and i can clarify. i would very much appreciate some help here!
#1637955 - 12/07/19 11:01 AM Re: please help: VS-1680 effects problem...effects 1 and 2 sound weak/low volume [Re: AdamAudio]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Iowa
What puzzles me is that you say they worked fine before and now don't... does this mean they worked fine in that particular song and now they don't, or does it mean that you only discovered the problem in this particular song?

If the problem only occurs in this song, the first thing I would do would be to compare a song that works to this one that doesn't. I'd find every setting I could think of that relates to the effects 1 and 2 and see if the routing and levels are the same in both songs (at least relatively speaking). Have you done that?

Effects 1 and 2 would be on the same effects card, I assume. You could try re-seating the card (with the unit powered down and unplugged) - pull it, wipe down any contacts/contact strip (a pencil eraser works good for this) and then plug it back in its slot. I don't see that this will make any difference though, since you say they work in other songs.

I'd say the problem exists in your settings and/or routing. If you have experience enough with this recorder/effects to know how they should usually sound - say having used them on numerous recordings and made completed mixes, which you had been able to verify that the effects had been applied to the mixes as you expected, then I'd say the problem exists in only this current song and its settings.

If you have never completed a mix to 2-track stereo mix on the VS and then played that mix outside of the VS and been able to confirm that it sounds as you expect, then I'd say the problem might also be routing and/or levels in the opposite direction in the song you say "works" - as in, you might have effects routed in a way that makes them artificially stronger than they should normally be.

I don't expect this to be your issue, but knowing nothing of your experience with the VS, I just want to put it out there as something to check.

One last thing related to routing - is it possible that in one song you have the effects routed as "insert" and on another you have them routed as "pre/post"?

2013 Iowa City JazzFest sets!
Dr Lonnie Smith Trio w/Jonathan Kreisberg on guitar
Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio
These are post mixes set to single camera video (by Rich Rauch).

#1637983 - 12/07/19 03:49 PM Re: please help: VS-1680 effects problem...effects 1 and 2 sound weak/low volume [Re: uptildawn]
AdamAudio Offline
Space Cadet

yes, this problem only exists on this particular song. i have others in the machine wherein effects 1 and 2 work fine...as they should. i have confirmed that there are no insert issues. i don't have 1 or 2 inserted on any of the inputs or the tracks. where do i access the screen to confirm routing of the effects and check their levels, etc? the track mixer screens for each channel look completely normal and all identical. might i have accidentally accessed some advanced function that has turned down effects 1 and 2 dramatically? i remember a few stray, unwanted button pushes that required hitting the play/display button to return to normal. the other weird thing is that when i go into the effects settings...say for example i put a cool plate reverb, effect 1, pre or post fader on any particular track. if i edit the effect and turn the direct level all the way down and the effect level all the way up, it has zero effect on the sound. i still hear the reverb very, very faintly...barely there at all. i don't get it. i have recorded many, many songs on this machine and this issue has never occurred before. and like i said, switch to another song and the effects work fine.
#1638000 - 12/07/19 06:14 PM Re: please help: VS-1680 effects problem...effects 1 and 2 sound weak/low volume [Re: AdamAudio]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Iowa
I wonder if you have space on your hard drive to try something.
Create a new blank song at the same sample rate and record mode as the problem song... title it something slightly different than the problem song, so you can use it as an alternate, if you want to.

Go to the new song and use Track Import (pg 92 of the 1680 owner's manual - pdf version) to bring in all the tracks from the problem song. You might try just one track to begin with and then add effect 1 or 2 to it and see if it works.

At any rate, the idea is to import all the tracks - one at a time, unfortunately - into the new song and then reapply all your effects to see if they're now working.

If so, then you can just delete the problem song and be done with it.

On the other hand, you might try running drive check on the partition with the problem song. If drive check finds any sort of data corruption (track, or internal events, markers, etc.), it will want to fix them. You only have 2 choices - to accept or decline the fix - I've seen it "fix" things even when I declined, so who knows how bad that one was to begin with?... ow!

Just be aware that drive check's fix is to delete whatever it fins that needs fixing - some fix, eh? Once in a while you can lose some track data, but often times it's all internal data corruption. It may possibly fix the problem song that way.

Another alternative idea would be to use SONG COPY to copy the problem song onto another partition. Then do a drive check. If track data is lost from the problem song, then at least you'd have an untouched copy on the other partition. Hopefully, drive check wouldn't find corruption that might mess with any other song on the partition, but it might be good to back up the whole partition first, if you have a burner to make a backup to.

2013 Iowa City JazzFest sets!
Dr Lonnie Smith Trio w/Jonathan Kreisberg on guitar
Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio
These are post mixes set to single camera video (by Rich Rauch).

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
8 registered (Marty Gilman, motown59, E Beau, Alan, 4 invisible) and 9 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Jazzooo
Al
Silversmith
Timster
Tom Mix
Ismellelephant
Popmann
gonzo
NOK
Mooseboy
moontan
C Jo Go
Doughboy
flatcat
paulb
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
fonts
Gretsch 6120
vvvm
String Jammer
Vanillagrits
glensimonds
T57Strat
GAMBLE
Jammer
SteveW
JazAddict
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
Dave Morris
Liquidirt
Delso
Slabraton
slotz
LakeStone Karl
Milkman
Forum Stats
21081 Members
27 Forums
140323 Topics
1619370 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 11/19/19 07:32 PM
Newest Members
Topgooner, Npattison, sammyopop, William1, kelvin
21082 Registered Users

Generated in 0.008 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.