Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#1441648 - 01/11/16 11:35 AM Crackling / popping sounds
AxisGarret Offline
Space Cadet

I just was researching in the various Search Fields on this Forum. I have not found anything precisely like my problem. I have owned my VS-2480HD since the earliest days. It was one of the first ones off the assembly line, according to Roland.

I have had problems from the beginning, all of which we could figure out with various questions / fixes / Roland Support, etc... However, this problem has been pre-existing for 3 months now and the first time I have ever noticed anything like it.

On playback of tracks that I record directly or import to the 2480, they now ALL crackle / pop (no exceptions). I finally backed up my projects to reformat the HD, hoping / thinking that the problem was in a HD that needed to be formatted. Though, I was afraid to back up my projects, as the crackling / popping was so bad on most tracks, that I feared it would back up the projects with those sounds, ruining all of my tracks / recordings.

I finally took the plunge and backed up my projects and reformatted. Putting the recordings / WAV files back on to the 2480 has produced the same results. The individual tracks are plastered with crackles / pops. I have never experienced this before with a VS 2480 nor have I ever heard of it happening before.

I have ruled out several things: 1.) No, it is not "digital distortion". It is not the "hot settings" on my peak meter. (I have consistently used the same recording settings since I initially set up this unit for use. So, nothing new has changed on it.) 2.) The HD works efficiently. It reformatted fine. (Though maybe it still could be the problem.) 3.) I do not think it is any of the individual I/O's or inputs. As, I unplugged everything and turned all of the Input's and pots down / off.

I am worried that the Master I/O of this unit is going bad. Otherwise, I would just order a new HD for it, as that would be my most obvious guess. The HD reformatted fine, but maybe it is just old and depleted??

This problem sounds like it is something within the circuitry, but it is affecting ALL of the paths internally. Adding effects channels doubles the crackling / popping sounds.

I appreciate your help / input in advance. With this type of problem specifically, I am surprised no one has ever had this problem before. It is quite an obvious one when you hear it. It has rendered my 2480 useless to do any recording or mixes, until I can get this problem fixed.

I look forward to your responses. Thanks...

#1441666 - 01/11/16 03:38 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: AxisGarret]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
I would say it breaks down to 1 of two things - either the unit has failed and there is circuit problems that need repair or something is wrong with clocking

What do you have your MASTER clock set to? Do you have ANYTHING plugged into the digital SPDIF inputs or the RBUS ports?

I think a good troubleshooting step is to determine if it is indeed just a playback problem,. or the tracks themselves have the distortion.

Since you have backups created already why don't you convert a project to wav files using VSWE and see if the distortion is still there. This will narrow it down... and let you know if your source material is OK.

#1441684 - 01/11/16 05:44 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: bear]
LakeStone Karl Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Eastern PA, USA
I'd run the internal self-test. My first 2480 exhibited the same symptoms, and the diagnostics indicated a DSP fail of some sort.

I bought a used unit, and I hope maybe someday I can get around to re-capping my original main board to see if anything improves.

-karl

LakeStone On The Web

#1441699 - 01/11/16 07:07 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: LakeStone Karl]
AxisGarret Offline
Space Cadet

OK, I did run the internal self-test. I have no idea what to look for there. I am not really "VS-2480HD" Tech-Savvy. I mean, I have soldered some cables in my life, but to take one apart completely to investigate it internally is not my strong point.

I know the capacities of this Unit quite well, as when it is working, it works perfectly well. I have been in love with this unit, like most VS-2480 owners since I first got it. So, I know well, what all it can do. Now it is sick, and I cannot properly diagnose the issues even in order to begin to help it.

I just ran another Format on the 80 GB Deskstar HD. It is the same HD since about 2006. It has been reformatted about 1 dozen times. Now, plus 2 more. Here is the new problem additional to the old.

I am loading the projects back onto it. The crackling / popping is still there. However, many of the Projects show the WAV files on the tracks. Yet, there is nothing playing back. I sometimes have been able to do a "Reload" of the project and it will then play the tracks. But, now it is half and half. Half the time a Reload works. Half the time it does not. I Reboot the whole system. It shows the projects fine. Yet, the projects will not play half the time.

What could this be? I REALLY am hoping to find a fix for this. I cannot afford a whole other unit right now. And, I have projects I have recorded and need to finish. I was in hopes simply purchasing a new HD would fix all of these problems. Now I am seeing multiple problems, none of which are in any of these Help Sections within this Forum.

So mysterious that neither of these problems have been discovered or addressed in all of these years this forum has been around.

Anyone??

#1441711 - 01/11/16 07:27 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: AxisGarret]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
I am afraid it sounds to me like your mother board is going out. It is pretty rare, but it does happen.

I think your saving grace is that you do have data backups. The machine can be replaced even if it does cost several hundred dollars- data cannot

You say you ran the internal tests - did the DSP test show any problems?

#1441736 - 01/11/16 10:40 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: bear]
Frank Griffith Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 300
Planeteer

Loc: "All Be Quirky", NM
ANALYZER
The ANALYZER is a useful tool for checking out the frequencies of your INPUTS, TRACKS, Master bus etc. Click on UTILITY> ANALYZER> and it opens up in the HOME screen where the meters were. It uses up on whole processor/effects card to run it so you’ll need to decide which card to use. Under “Use Effect Board” select A, B, C or D. Under Source, you can click and hold and scroll thru all INPUTs, TRACKs, FX# RTNs, Gen/Osc, MST L & R, Mon L & R, Auxs and Dirs (or use the jog wheel). The “Average Times” is speed at which the display is refreshed, 50 is a good number to use. Set “Average Type” to NRM for now, EXP is good for drum tracks. Solo a track and play it to see the frequencies displayed. (Lower freqs displayed left, higher ones to the right.). You don’t have to solo the track but it helps, IMO. I use Source - MST L to show the whole mix while mixing. You can set up the VS’s small LCD screen to display the ANALYZER giving you an independent display for this feature once setup and still have the meters on the HOME screen on the VGA. Click on Home, then select Page 3/3, then select [F4 IDAnlr] to show the Analyzer in the small LCD, click [F6 IDHold]. To turn off the Analyzer, select OFF under “Use Effect Board.” *Remember, a processor/ effects card is tied up while using the analyzer
VS2480DVD,3-VS8F-2/1-VS8F-3 & 5 plugins+Auto-Tune,MassHiRes EQ,UA Bundle,Chrometone,Soundblender/TC Reverb,T-Racks.Dyns BM5A's,Roland DS50A's,M-Audio 2.1,PreSonus TubePre w/Rode NT1000,SM57&58,MXL V57&V67,B-5,XV5050,Yamaha P200,Oxygen8 V2,Behring V-amps,SansAmp DI, Taylor,Gibsons,Fender,Ric,Washburn Bass.2 RPC-1's,PC Sonar 4, Acid 5, Wavelab etc.

#1441737 - 01/11/16 10:40 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: AxisGarret]
graemest Offline
Planeteer

Before worrying it is the motherboard, try replacing the Power Supply board first. It supplies all the other boards, and is easily replaced. They are reasonably frequently available on FleaBay 2nd hand, Roland Australia say they at least have some, so try where you live (which is why it's important to put that in your info/avatar)
#1441838 - 01/12/16 07:35 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: graemest]
unlucky Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Nottingham
Just curious - is the VS connected to any digital gear? If so, it might be that two devices (including the VS) are set as clock master. Even a dodgy BNC (wordclock) cable can produce this (as I found out myself).
#1441955 - 01/13/16 06:05 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: unlucky]
mobofsquirrels Offline
Debaser
Planeteer

I bought my current VS 2480 used about 10 years ago. It was also an early model. I had a similar issue and it turned out to be a bad VS8f-2 effects card. If you have reverb or any other effect on any of the tracks at all, then it might be that.
#1442861 - 01/18/16 09:18 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: mobofsquirrels]
AxisGarret Offline
Space Cadet

OK, I ran the "Self-Test" as well as the Analyzer. The problem is inherent inside of the unit itself, in that it does not appear to be the power supply or the effects cards.

I am giving you a link to a 1 minute sample of a track I recorded last year, which recorded and saved fine originally. Now, when I reload this track or any others (music, voice over or otherwise), I get this same crackling popping sound all over each and every track.

Listen carefully to the track. You can really hear it on the tail end of every phrase. It is causing my recording, mixes and archives to be useless.

Has anyone had experience with this??

The Link:

https://soundcloud.com/mind-design-unlimited/demo-sample-recording-crackling-popping/s-zuju7

#1442867 - 01/18/16 01:14 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: AxisGarret]
LakeStone Karl Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Eastern PA, USA
Did the self test indicate any fails? I think mine said DSP LOOP FAIL or something like that.

Your archive recordings are most likely fine, but your ability to play them back has been compromised.

-karl

LakeStone On The Web

#1442917 - 01/18/16 09:20 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: LakeStone Karl]
AxisGarret Offline
Space Cadet

I did not see anything that came up as a "Fail". There were two or three that came up as a question mark, but those were on connections where I have nothing plugged in. "R-Buss Connection", etc...

Did you swap out that Hard Drives and try different Hard Drives in yours? And, if so, did it give the same problem?

#1544850 - 09/16/17 12:04 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: AxisGarret]
Boston_Ray Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Boston
Sorry to revive an old thread, but.....did you ever figure out the cause of the crackling/popping sounds? Was it the motherboard? Or the power supply board? My 2480CD is experiencing the EXACT same problem.

Thanks,

Ray

#1544955 - 09/17/17 06:54 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Boston_Ray]
canefire Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Silver Spring , MD USA
Happened with mine if I had a big project and lots of reverbs and such all over the place. THen I started to optimize the projects more often and it was gone.
peace
Ian

#1544963 - 09/17/17 01:43 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: canefire]
Boston_Ray Offline
Planeteer

Thanks for the replay, Ian. I will agree tthat the problem becomes more noticeable when I start adding effects. But even with all the effects removed (including physically removing the effects cards), I can still hear popping/crackling on playback. Originally, it seemed to be confined to tracks 17-24, but now I hear it on tracks 9-16. I've run the self-test, and everything comes up "OK". So I don't know if that rules out a problem with the motherboard. Maybe it's a bad power supply board?

I'd love to hear from the original poster as to how/if he solved this problem. Thanks.

#1544967 - 09/17/17 02:39 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Boston_Ray]
darksith38 Offline
Planeteer

It seems to be a known fact that anything on these machines seem to malfunction if something is not changed like a battery or hard-drive or something that was altered in ez routing.

I know once i had done something and could not understand why i had a problem it took forever to fix it and it was something i had be accidentally did changing a setting.Sorry to hear about these things going on check the sp/dif i know when i was messing around with that it will cause all that popping and flinging noise.

I have the virdis and learned the thing had no problem then a few years later went to use it again and i had problems that i never had before needed to shut down my machine prematurely 50 times not something i wanted cause it would freeze up, and it turned out i had matched the scsi id and that's how i screwed myself lol.

#1544971 - 09/17/17 04:55 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: darksith38]
Boston_Ray Offline
Planeteer

Darksith - thanks for the feedback.

For the record, there are no other digital devices connected to my 2480. The cracking/popping does not occur on the "input" side - it is only on the playback of audio on tracks 17-24 (and now 9-16). The crackling/popping is not embedded in the audio files - the 2480 is adding the noise on playback only.

Thanks for the ideas/suggestions, however - appreciate it.

-ray

#1546088 - 10/01/17 01:41 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Boston_Ray]
toz Offline
Planeteer

Loc: NJ
OK long story short.... I have had this EXACT same problem... mine was intermittent... and... appears that the longer the machine is on... the issue settles down.

2 current songs I'm working on... the 1st one I did a remote session... had the crackling issue... came back - cut a bass part... totally fine. Some issues on the other tracks...but have been able to de-click everything on the 2-mixes...pain in the ass but doable for now.

Song 2... blatant crackling... so... I exported the most offensive tracks - VIA CD into Soundforge... the tracks are totally fine... totally clean ....it's absolutely on the channels internally...

So my question is....

Does anyone know what the actual source of the problem is
and if it's correctable... OR... is it the end of the line and go another route...

I do like the new Presonus Studio 3 series... interesting...

I did message AxisGarret directly...not sure if he's been around...

Thanks for any input

Thank You
Tim

#1547453 - 10/15/17 05:05 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: toz]
MikeSchmidt Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Minnesota
Any fixes, results?

Mike

#1610868 - 04/22/19 03:19 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: mobofsquirrels]
GIL_Z Offline
Space Cadet

HI FRIEND,HAVE YOU CHANGED THE VS8-F2 PLATE AND SOLVED THE PROBLEM? DOES YOUR VS 2480 CONTINUE WORKING IN GOOD CONDITIONS?
#1610900 - 04/22/19 06:35 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: AxisGarret]
FalconEddy Online   content
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Loc: Litchfield, NH, USA
I just came across this older thread that has just been re-opened.

I listened to the file in SoundCloud, and to a comment made by a Planeteer having the same issue, that brought the file into SoundForge.

He stated the play sounded perfect when played in SoundForge.

This would indicate the issue is most likely confined to the AD/DA conversion portion of the 2480 system. But, it's a bit more complex that this.

Each of the 16 channels have their own AK4528VF AD/DA conversion chip for input signal flow from the analog pres. However, the real question that remains is what conversion chip(s) are utilized during the playback process; and even during real-time monitoring for that matter?

Based on the schematic and the nomenclature within it, it's possible they're using the same chips; as the ONLY IC's listed as 'AD/DA' are the eight AK4528VF's. They have two inputs and two outputs for a total of sixteen channel ability.

Now, it seems highly unlikely this issue is a problem with the AK4528VF's. I mean, how could all eight chips go bad at once? It's possible, but the odds are astronomical.

Perhaps it's a voltage issue feeding those chips, or on another area within the VS-2480. The crackling only seems audible when sound is present. When it's quiet, it's gone. This means it's NOT a clocking issue.

Whatever this may be, I've noticed it's affecting more and more people as their units begin to age.

. . Falcon

#1611087 - 04/24/19 03:02 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: FalconEddy]
Ronnie Laas Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 325
Planeteer

Loc: mokena Il.
ive got the same problem interference and booting up multiple times
#1611126 - 04/24/19 06:51 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Ronnie Laas]
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Ronnie Laas
ive got the same problem interference and booting up multiple times

Yeah Ronnie I saw that other thread, but then the link you put in there to ANOTHER thread about SSD's confused me. So I just replied to this one with info using educated speculation.

I'm fairly confident the electronic components within the VS-2480 series DAW's all have a shelf life; and several Planeteers are beginning to find the threshold of these unit's lifespan.

At least within the realm of the 'squeaky clean' AD/DA conversion processing is concerned.

. . Falcon

#1611242 - 04/25/19 06:59 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: FalconEddy]
Snapshot Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Europe
I have the same problem with my vs2480 as well . It is very likely that some ( one , a couple , all of them ?) capacitors on the motherboard or/and on the psu are failing due to aging ( thermal degradation , MTBF limit ) . I will attempt a repear in the summer probably . I am planning to replace all surface mount capacitors from the motherboard and the power supply . I am quite confident that this will fix the issue. Its not unusual for failing capacitors to not show any external signs of damage . Some leak , some might look puffed up , swollen . But it is also the case that at first glance everything looks normal on the motherboard and the psu and still some capacitors are just enough out of spec to produce these side effects . I will probably have some news by the end of june .
#1611277 - 04/25/19 10:47 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Snapshot]
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Snapshot
I have the same problem with my vs2480 as well . It is very likely that some ( one , a couple , all of them ?) capacitors on the motherboard or/and on the psu are failing due to aging ( thermal degradation , MTBF limit ) . I will attempt a repear in the summer probably . I am planning to replace all surface mount capacitors from the motherboard and the power supply . I am quite confident that this will fix the issue. Its not unusual for failing capacitors to not show any external signs of damage . Some leak , some might look puffed up , swollen . But it is also the case that at first glance everything looks normal on the motherboard and the psu and still some capacitors are just enough out of spec to produce these side effects . I will probably have some news by the end of june .

Well, that's some good info.

There are, however, a plethora of caps on the MAB. Seems a bit overkill to replace them all.

Obviously there's a component change of value that's created this condition in the VS-2480's having this issue; or, it may be that the SWP05 switching regulator #02562889 isn't up to spec anymore.

Not sure how the mean time between failures would relate in practical terms to the SWP05 on the VS-2480, as it would most likely be replaced in times BEFORE it was obsolete with a new module, as opposed to being repaired.

But, yes; we EE guys sometimes need to take matters into our own hands if we want things to get handled, don't we?

Thanks for the input and please keep us posted.

. . Falcon

#1611320 - 04/26/19 03:11 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: FalconEddy]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Florida - Dunnellon
I recall Frank Griffith had written a post regarding the crackling noises some years ago. I will have to dig into my files to see if I can come up with a copy, or the specifics of it. But I do recall he mentioned the hard drives, and said that either reformatting or replacing the hard drive would possibly / usually cure it.

Maybe search back on the Planet... I'm pretty sure that's where I originally saw it.

I don't know that "shotgunning" the caps in the VS will do very much.... if the electrolytics appear bad in any way, sure. But you also run the risk of damaging something else during such a process.

Starliner

#1611556 - 04/28/19 02:29 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Starliner]
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Starliner
I recall Frank Griffith had written a post regarding the crackling noises some years ago. I will have to dig into my files to see if I can come up with a copy, or the specifics of it. But I do recall he mentioned the hard drives, and said that either reformatting or replacing the hard drive would possibly / usually cure it.

That really doesn't make any sense whatsoever. I mean, if you took that same data (or drive) and put it on someone else's 2480, it would work fine, right?

Or, when it got copied to an external SCSI drive and played, the same thing happens on that errant machine.

Based on my experience with the 2480 system, it's highly doubtful that this issue points anywhere towards a hard drive anomaly.

To me, this sounds like an AD/DA conversion issue, or even perhaps a local clocking issue of some type.

If I could get someone to work with me on this that's having the problem to test out a few things, maybe we could eliminate a couple of things, and isolate the issue.

Anyone willing???

. . Falcon

#1611810 - 04/29/19 11:37 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: FalconEddy]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Florida - Dunnellon
Here's a cut and paste from my files of Planet posts back in 2010 regarding popping noises. Whether any of this will be pertinent to the problems others are experiencing, I do not know.

Starliner

---------------------------------------------------------------
Help please- popping noises on tracks - Kavish
Hi guys,
Long time, no see! I am a veteran 2480 owner(8 years next month!), some of the old-timers may remember me.
I have had an odd issue appear lately; occasional popping sounds on guitar and vocal tracks.
I recently did a full band tracking session: 11 drum tracks, bass DI, two miced guitar amps and scratch vocal tracks.
Everything appeared to go smoothly, drum tracks and bass recorded flawlessly, yet when I went back over the tracks later, both guitar tracks and the scratch vocals had occasional popping noises throughout, ranging from every few seconds to a few times a minute. They are audible in the mix.
Not a single pop on the 11 drum and 1 bass tracks, but consistent popping on guitar and vocal tracks!
Not only that, but when I bounced the scratch vocal and a guitar track to other tracks, they picked up more pops than they already had, as if some pops were happening in the internal routing somehow(!?).
I have tried to troubleshoot this thing every way I could think of, having one of the guitarists back over for a session while I tried to get to the bottom of it.
I have tried disconnecting all digital connections, gone over my gain staging meticulously, have tried different mics, cables, guitars, amps, have bypassed outboard pres and gone straight into 2480, bypassed mics entirely by going directly from Johnson J-Station(had less pops going DI from J-Station, but some still there), made sure electrical cords were nowhere near audio cables, everything I could think of, but still the popping persists.
The studio is at a standstill until I get to the bottom of this.
I'm very grateful for any insight anyone can provide.
Thanks, Ken

#974917 - 04/27/10 11:47 AM Re: Help please: popping noises on tracks [Re: kavish]
marc_a_landry
This happened to me a while back. And like what you are describing, it would only happen during playback and was not due to cables, overloading or clipping etc. At the time I had a slowly dieing hard drive. Once I swapped it out, it never happened again.

#974939 - 04/27/10 12:40 PM Re: Help please: popping noises on tracks [Re: marc_a_landry]
kavish
Extra info: all projects were set to internal master clock.
Thanks, marc.
I wondered if it might be a hard drive issue, since it's so hard to pin down.
I replaced my original 30 gig hard drive with an 80 gig about a year and a half ago. I've had no other problems with it thus far.
I haven't reformatted in quite a while, though, so I'll make sure I have everything backed up and give that a try. If it's still doing it, I'll try a new drive.

#974951 - 04/27/10 12:58 PM Re: Help please: popping noises on tracks [Re: kavish]
ulank
Dang, my initial thought was the clock, as I've experience el poppo from that before. Hmm...

#975019 - 04/27/10 05:14 PM Re: Help please: popping noises on tracks [Re: ulank]
Waterman
Hello brother Kavish,
Nice to hear from you again!
Can't think of anything other than the basics? You know, like copying the project to another partition (sort of a defrag and then bringing it back to another), or perhaps it is time to format the hard drive again, once you have everything backed up!
Pete

#975024 - 04/27/10 05:22 PM Re: Help please: popping noises on tracks [Re: Waterman]
kavish
Nice to hear from you again, too! Thanks for mentioning copying a project to another partition; I'll do that before the reformat to see if it helps!
It's funny how many of the "basics" I've forgotten, not having to employ them in so long. My 2480 had been trouble free since the last hard drive change.

#976655 - 05/01/10 09:35 PM Re: Help please: popping noises on tracks [Re: kavish]
FalconEddy
Ken, what version of the OS are you running?
Have you tried disconnecting everything, then throwing it into record for a while, then playing it back through a set of head phones?
If nothing is connected and the noises are still happening while nothing is being recorded, and they can be played back; then it's something on the VS2480. If not, the issue is either external to the 2480, or possibly a connection that the 2480 doesn't like. Did you check to be sure the effects are turned off and you don't have any 'double-mapping' issues on the inputs?
Are you 100% sure the internal clock on the 2480 is the only one turned on?

#976835 - 05/02/10 02:03 PM Re: Help please: popping noises on tracks [Re: FalconEddy]
Frank Griffith
The only time I have had popping noises is when I had the dip switch set wrong on my RPC-1 card. Digital noise, distortion and not being synced up properly can cause popping noises.

#979280 - 05/11/10 10:25 AM Re: Help please: popping noises on tracks [Re: Frank Griffith]
kavish
Thanks Falcon and Frank.
I'm still on 2.009; I didn't move up because of issues with subsequent versions, and I don't have any VS8F-3 cards.
What's the most stable os now?
The sounds only happen when I attempt to record; no noise at all from inputs or channel mixer until I arm a track. As soon as a track is armed, the popping noises begin, even before RECORD is pressed.
I have reformatted, but that didn't help, so I guess a new hard drive is the next thing I'll try.
Thanks again, guys!

#979287 - 05/11/10 10:35 AM Re: Help please: popping noises on tracks [Re: kavish]
kavish
I have disconnected all digital and analog connections other than the guitar cable input being used, and made sure the 2480 is set to internal clock.
I have turned off or disconnected all FX, internal and external.
I have checked routing to ensure no double-mapping.
I have checked via headphones and the popping is there.
"If nothing is connected and the noises are still happening while nothing is being recorded, and they can be played back; then it's something on the VS2480."
At least that's not a problem; no noise issues unless I'm attempting to record.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#979461 - 05/11/10 07:47 PM Re: Help please: popping noises on tracks [Re: kavish]
Frank Griffith
I like the 2.504 OS update a lot. I think you can still get Roland to send it out on CD as well or download it off their site and burn to CD.

#979565 - 05/12/10 02:39 AM Re: Help please: popping noises on tracks [Re: Frank Griffith]
kavish
"At least that's not a problem; no noise issues unless I'm attempting to record."
Upon re-reading I see I could have worded that to convey more information.
I should have said there is no noise present with nothing connected even with a track armed(and input channel routed to it) and no noise upon replay of that track recorded with nothing plugged in.
The noises only occur when an input channel is routed to a track and that track is armed. The pops are present on the tracks upon replay.

#1611968 - 05/02/19 02:26 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Starliner]
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Yeah, I remember this one. We thought it might be because he was still running OS v2.009 at the time.

I also now recall that I had some people perform an OPTIMIZE on a project (after backing up) which cleared up the problem for them.

Perhaps it's possible that when fragmented data becomes too much for the 2480 to handle, the results are what some people have been hearing.

However, this is 100% COMPLETELY UNTESTED SPECULATION on my part.

. . Falcon

#1635847 - 11/16/19 10:42 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: FalconEddy]
mowgliuk Offline
Space Cadet

Hey,

Reviving this again .. So this appears to be happening to me. I'm partially happy as some recordings I thought were ruined and would be hard to rerecord actually aren't as it's internal to the machine, but obviously not happy as there is crackling going on where there wasn't before.

Was there any consensus as to what's causing this or how to fix it? I'm looking back at old projects that didn't have it now they do. I also have a feeling that new projects I'm opening are are starting to crackle too off the bat.

I'm still very much in love with the machine so would pay to get anything replaced if need be. Or maybe there's a simple fix?

#1639294 - 12/27/19 01:26 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: mowgliuk]
KVM Offline
Space Cadet

First of all, hello to everyone here at VS-Planet. I'm a new member here and this is my first post.

I am currently experiencing this issue with my VS-2480 but in the input mixer, which is how I have been using my VS-2480 (as a digital mixer more so than a recorder). When I run my synths and drum machine/sampler (Akai MPC2500) through the VS-2480, I get crackling through the live input channels.

I will first start off by mentioning I am using a Roland VM3100 Pro mixer to get an extra 8 input channels from my MPC2500 into the VS-2480 via R-BUS connection. The crackling issue did not start occurring prior to this configuration so I thought for sure it was a clocking issue. At one time it was and I was also getting periods of audio dropouts then I realized both machines were set to internal clock. As soon as I found that out and slaved the VS-2480 to the VM3100 clock, the dropouts stopped. However, the crackling still occurred seldom but eventually went away (disappeared) over time the longer I left the machine on.

Over months, the crackling eventually got worse and would take longer to go away. Now, it has gotten to the point that I would get no incoming audio from the inputs after a cold-boot (booting up the machine for the first time during the day). After it has warmed up for a little while and I either switched the clocking settings back and forth between R-BUS1 and internal a few times or switch the VM3100 Pro off and the back on again, I would eventually get audio from all of the inputs, but with bad crackling that occurs only when sound is present (like when triggering a drum sound or pressing a note on the keyboard). Now, even after a few hours has passed, the crackles are still present, although less frequent or severe. However, they are still there, ruining any chances of a good mixdown recording of a sequenced composition to an external recorder.

Today, I decided to investigate and troublshoot this problem that is driving me nuts!!!

1. I checked the R-BUS cable and clock settings. They are correct, but crackling still occurs.

2. I eliminated the R-BUS connection (physically disconnected the R-BUS cable from the VS-2480) and set the VS-2480 clock to internal to see if that is the culprit. Unfortunately, after doing this, I'm still getting crackling from the audio inputs, which means this is NOT an R-BUS clocking issue.

3. I check the level meters of the channels I'm hearing audio from as well as the master channel. Nothing is clipping. The signal should be clean but it is not.

4. I disabled (turned off) all of the effects from the routing page to see if that solves the problem. It didn't. I still get crackles, which means it appears not to be an effects DSP issue either.

5. I tried using the ANALYZER but the ANALYZER didn't really reveal anything to me I didn't already expect.

6. I went to the global page and made sure the Phantom power was turned off for all of the inputs. That didn't fix the crackling issue either, unfortunately.

As a result of all of this and the fact the crackling only occurs when audio is present and the fact it occurs live during the input stage leads me to believe this is some kind of internal A/D conversion issue that lies inside the VS-2480 itself. At least that's what it seems like to me.

Then I decided to do a Google search on the issue and that's when I came across this thread in this forum. This confirms others are having very similar issues with their VS-2480s (but only when playing back recorded tracks instead of monitoring live inputs). My issue happens at the input mixer and it is slowly making the machine become useless.

The situation sounds grim. Could this be the end-of-life for the almost 20-year-old VS-2480s? Who still works on these machines these days? And are spare parts still available?

Let's hope there's a solution for this and a simple one at that. I really, really hope there's just a simple menu setting I'm overlooking. I would rather it be that than a hardware-related issue that would eventually lead to an expensive repair.

If anyone finds a solution to this problem, please share.

Thank You.

Edited by KVM (12/27/19 01:38 AM)

#1639295 - 12/27/19 01:52 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: KVM]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Thanks for the detailed report - that really goes a long way for us! And welcome to the Planet.

I haven't been using the VS for much of anything for quite awhile, but I just have a couple of questions that you could answer and add even more clarification for us.

1- With the r-bus disconnected, are you still using a digital input path while you troubleshoot this crackling?

2- Have you disconnected all external digital gear and tried recording a strictly analog input signal and does the crackling still persist?

#1639301 - 12/27/19 04:32 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: uptildawn]
KVM Offline
Space Cadet

Thank you.

Yes. I still heard the crackling from the inputs after disconnecting the r-bus cable.

When I disconnected the r-bus cable, I also removed the input channels routings (channels 17-24) to the r-bus as well. After all digital inputs and signal routings were removed, I still heard the crackling from the live analog audio inputs. However, I've never tried recording.

After conducting these tests and discovering the results, I reconnected everything. As of right now, this minute, the r-bus is back in use.

Edited by KVM (12/27/19 04:36 AM)

#1639467 - 12/29/19 06:59 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: KVM]
Dr. Altsack aka Volltreffer Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Munich, Germany
Hi...

Do you record, when the crackling occurs? I heard of some problems with the disk and whenever the disk takes longer than it should for any answerto the VS, the result should be nasty jitter which should be nasty sounds... If it happens with the machine in standby, it seems to be not the problem...

Edited by Dr. Altsack aka Volltreffer (12/29/19 06:59 PM)

aXel
------------------
\:D imply depressed \:D

#1639488 - 12/29/19 10:55 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Dr. Altsack aka Volltreffer]
KVM Offline
Space Cadet

Hello, Dr. Altsack.

I've only had my VS machine for a over a year and I have only been using it as a digital mixer. I have not used it for recording as of yet. All of the issues I have encountered occur in standby mode (live input monitoring).

Perhaps I should try recording just to see what happens. However, I'm not at all confident I would get a clean recording when I'm hearing all of the crackling going on at input. I'm thinking it will just record the crackling as well. I'll give it a try though.

With that said, I have played back a few recorded projects made by the previous owner when I first got the machine and I have not experienced any of what you have mentioned with the hard disk during playback.

However, I did experience an issues where the hard disk (external hard drive hooked up to SCSI) containing the prerecorded projects would not show up or let me load projects as if it had failed or something. However, after a while, it started working again and seems to work fine the last time I tried it. As a result of this experience, I do not trust this harddrive enough to record any serious projects on it at the moment.

For this reason, I decided not to record on the machine until I can purchase a new hard drive for it. I made a blank project with all of my mixer and digital patch bay settings but with no recorded track to use as a mixer template. I saved it on a ZIP disk in my SCSI zip drive so I can at least use the VS-2480 as a digital mixer for the time being until I am able to purchase a new harddrive and then start recording on it as well.

Edited by KVM (12/29/19 11:21 PM)

Page 1 of 3 123>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159754 Topics
1849627 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.