Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1640851 - 01/16/20 12:24 PM why cant i hear my ds90a speakers when recording?
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Brooklyn Park, MN
thank you in advance

VS PLANET RADIO

#1640857 - 01/16/20 01:43 PM Re: why cant i hear my ds90a speakers when recording? [Re: glensimonds]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Iowa
How long has this been going on? Have you ever been able to hear sound from these speakers at all? Have you ever been able to hear sounds from any speakers while recording?
Did you just start using these speakers - or these speakers connected digitally?

I realize some of these questions appear inane... I mean I could reply with an equally inane response like - You need to turn them on while recording... But so does the lack of any details you've given....... (Personally, I know you've been using the vs for a long time - I mean, with over 19k posts, you might think you're experienced with the machine - right?)..... Give us some help and spit out some details that might help everybody know what's caused this issue, so we can be helpful.

2013 Iowa City JazzFest sets!
Dr Lonnie Smith Trio w/Jonathan Kreisberg on guitar
Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio
These are post mixes set to single camera video (by Rich Rauch).

#1641142 - 01/19/20 04:08 PM Re: why cant i hear my ds90a speakers when recording? [Re: uptildawn]
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

yes uptildawn. they work fine when listening to external cd player just not when i am recording or playing back internal recordings, i quit using the vs for a long time and forgot almost everything i learned \:\( but that is the most important thing, i dont see speaker settings in the manual or the book hook and lakestone wrote t it used to work fine i think i cahnged a setting

VS PLANET RADIO

#1641161 - 01/19/20 05:33 PM Re: why cant i hear my ds90a speakers when recording? [Re: glensimonds]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

What model VS?..... I don't remember. Not that it should matter too much, unless the layout and/or routing is different between models.

When you say it works when playing external cd player - is that a scsi cd player connected to the VS, or an external cd player routed through a mixer/monitor amplifier and speakers (with the VS connected to some other channel on the mixer/amp)?

I'm pretty sure all the 880s and 1608/1880 share the same monitor/headphone ganged volume controls, where headphones depends on both monitor and headphone volumes being raised - right? Oh, and the master as well.... correct?

Do you see any meter activity when playing back tracks..... and have you tried the different screens to see if there's an meter activity at all - when playing back tracks is probably the easiest place to start, eh?

Oh - it's so much easier for me to wrap my head around the visual of the larger 1680 display than the 880..... I'm sorry to say I can't think clearly enough about it to suggest where the problem might lie, if you're able to use an external scsi cd to play through the VS to the monitors, but can't hear prerecorded tracks on the VS and monitor live inputs to record.

Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio

#1641206 - 01/20/20 06:13 AM Re: why cant i hear my ds90a speakers when recording? [Re: uptildawn]
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

yes it is an external sony cd player hooked directly to the vs 890 and 880 that i run together for 16 track capability, yes i do see meter activity

VS PLANET RADIO

#1641232 - 01/20/20 11:15 AM Re: why cant i hear my ds90a speakers when recording? [Re: glensimonds]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

It's external, but you're getting the audio through a pair of rca cables connected to the digital rca inputs of the 880, or the analog inputs of either the 880 or 890... or what??

It's not a scsi-connected cd player that burns backup disc, is it? I don't know of a Sony-branded cd burner that is compatible with the VS backup and reloading of SONG projects.

I'm really struggling with trying to understand how you can hear audio from the cd player through the VS (which one?? and how is it connected??), but you can't hear audio from recorded tracks on the same machine....... Or is it both machines now??? I wasn't aware it's two different models connected together - and how are they connected to each other to hear audio to the monitoring system?

Are the speakers connected digitally to one machine (which one???? and is it master or slave???), while the other machine (again, master or slave???????) feeds it 2-track audio out the analog path (master, or monitor outs??) to the one with the speakers through its analog inputs????

I realize you say you've used this in the past, but without some description from you of your set up, it's a real struggle here.

My best advice to begin with would be to simplify down to a single machine, connected to the speakers - I would start with them connected through the analog path first. Then see if I can play recorded tracks from that VS. If so, then see if I can record a simple audio input and hear it while recording and playing back. If so, then I would connect the speakers to the second VS and do the same 3 tests. If it all works, THEN I'd connect the 2 VS machines for the ganged master/slave config. you used to use with the speakers connected to whichever machine you care to designate as the "playback" device and see if I get playback from recorded tracks form the machine with speakers attached first and then playback tracks from the second machine monitored through the one with speakers connected.

You might be able to see the troubleshooting path I'm working down from here, right? Next would be recording and testing.... finally ending with reconnecting the cd player (if digitally).

Without a clear understanding from your description of your complete setup routing of these 3 devices and your monitoring chain, I'm flying completely blind here.

Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio

#1641253 - 01/20/20 02:00 PM Re: why cant i hear my ds90a speakers when recording? [Re: uptildawn]
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

uptildawn you are doing great, how do i tell which is master or slave? i do have the roland cd player hooked up as well i only use the sony cd to listen to prerecorded cd's like purchased from best buy or amazon not for recording or back up,

VS PLANET RADIO

#1641256 - 01/20/20 02:15 PM Re: why cant i hear my ds90a speakers when recording? [Re: glensimonds]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

How do you have them hooked up? I've asked a lot of questions, but I'm only getting one bit of info from you in each post.

Why don't you try running through the steps I outlined to find out where you do and don't get audio through to the speakers as a first phase to troubleshoot the problem and report back the results - machine by machine - not just one sentence like - it worked... or it didn't work.....

Worry about master/slave, after you've sussed out whether or not each VS can pass audio all on its own to the monitor speakers.

IF you connect the cd player by way of analog connections - NOT digital - then you could test each VS to see if it passes audio to the speakers, with only one VS, the cd player and speakers hooked up. Do that AFTER you can confirm for yourself that both VS recorders can pass audio from playback of tracks already on the machine to the speakers - with the speakers connected directly to the one VS. This requires that you, again, test each VS individually - not connected to each other.

I still need specific answers to my specific previous questions in order to even guess at what the issues are.

Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio

#1641259 - 01/20/20 02:22 PM Re: why cant i hear my ds90a speakers when recording? [Re: uptildawn]
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

up , i have 4 ds90a hooked up all digital either spidf or coxaiol not rca

VS PLANET RADIO

#1641260 - 01/20/20 02:23 PM Re: why cant i hear my ds90a speakers when recording? [Re: uptildawn]
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

up , i have 4 ds90a hooked up all digital either spidf or coxaiol not rca , im almost afraid to go to one machine because i also forgot how hook showed me to hook them together but i think i saved his directions on my pc

Edited by glensimonds (01/20/20 02:25 PM)

VS PLANET RADIO

#1641344 - 01/21/20 01:41 PM uptildawn this may help
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

are you saying i should hear my external ds90 speakers whether i a listening to standalone cd player or recording without having to cahnge the sys prin?

VS PLANET RADIO

#1641356 - 01/21/20 03:46 PM Re: uptildawn this may help [Re: glensimonds]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I'm saying that you should break the whole thing down temporarily to just one vs, one set of speakers and see if you can hear tracks you've already recorded - doing the same test for each vs separately. Since you evidently have a set of speakers for each vs, you should be able to do this by simply only turning on one vs and set of speakers at a time.

I would think it won't require that you tear everything down and lose the connections you are afraid to forget how to reconnect that way. Of course, if you don't hear anything being played back through the speakers of a single vs unit during this simple test, you either have some settings/routing to reconfigure, something is wrong with either the vs, speakers, or both - OR you turned on the wrong speakers.... (ha).

Can you at least start by doing this simple test - you have to do it twice - once for each pair of VS/Speakers and each time with the other pair turned off. I would leave the cd player off for now, too just to make life less complicated.

Can you confirm that this part works and passes audio and post your results, please? I can't be of any help, without knowing if you can even complete this first step successfully.... if you can't get audio from both VS', then there's something wrong for sure.

If it were me, I'd put labels on all the physical connections, take a picture of them and then disconnect everything before I even run the first test. Start as simple as possible.

Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio

#1641408 - 01/22/20 07:36 AM Re: uptildawn this may help [Re: uptildawn]
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

ok bro but b4 i do that does it have anything to do with a different routing or sys prin setting to change from hearing a external cd player to internal recordings on the units, i hope that makes sense

VS PLANET RADIO

#1641416 - 01/22/20 08:23 AM Re: uptildawn this may help [Re: glensimonds]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

That's what I'm hoping we may or may not discover.... Hoping it's something very simple, but there's no way to know without testing first......

Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio

#1641419 - 01/22/20 09:04 AM Re: uptildawn this may help [Re: uptildawn]
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

bro, first of all thank you for all your help i really appreciate it. it a kind of a hassle the way my systems are set up if u are using monitor speakers how do u have your sys ptrin set or do u know if there is a intrenal setting i cant find one

VS PLANET RADIO

#1641567 - 01/23/20 04:02 PM nothing thru headphones eiter
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

cd player sounds great 4 ds90a precorded cd's

VS PLANET RADIO

#1644228 - 02/14/20 07:34 AM uptildawn i think u are saying sys prin has nothing to do with hearing playback thru external speakers?
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

also thank you so much for all your help are they any settings that control hearing playback besides volume levels?

VS PLANET RADIO

#1644252 - 02/14/20 10:45 AM Re: uptildawn i think u are saying sys prin has nothing to do with hearing playback thru external speakers? [Re: glensimonds]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I think someone already suggested to you that your method of posting is very confusing. I completely agree.

You have completely lost me with this thread - I'm not sure why you address me personally in the title. I'm certainly not the only one here that might be able to offer some sort of assistance. And I am at a total loss as to how to further assist you with this one....... For instance, I have no idea what "sys prin" means. sorry.

Why don't you go back to your original thread concerning this issue and continue the discussion in that thread until you have found a resolution to that issue, or nobody has been able to offer more suggestions? Use a new thread to start a conversation about a new topic.

Pharoah Sanders Quartet
Fred Hersch Trio

#1644281 - 02/14/20 03:51 PM does sys prin have anything to do with hearing playback while reocriding with external speakers
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

i have to set it to digi 2 to hear my external sony cd player play cds

VS PLANET RADIO

#1644283 - 02/14/20 03:52 PM Re: uptildawn i think u are saying sys prin has nothing to do with hearing playback thru external speakers? [Re: uptildawn]
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

because i thought u where a expert on these units like hook was but if you are not familar with sys prin i guess not i will post a picture of it later

VS PLANET RADIO

#1644889 - 02/19/20 08:15 PM Re: uptildawn i think u are saying sys prin has nothing to do with hearing playback thru external speakers? [Re: glensimonds]
Wish Administrator Offline
🌴 VSP Moderator 🌵
Planeteer

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
I consolidated about 7 threads into this one....fyi.

It was too hard to follow, with every new response being a new thread....so here we are.

I have no idea of what a sys prin is, and I have never heard that term before for any of the VS recorders.....so I doubt there will be any answers to that question, Glen.

Did you ever try any of the things that uptildawn suggested to figure out your problem?

#1644894 - 02/19/20 08:41 PM Re: uptildawn i think u are saying sys prin has nothing to do with hearing playback thru external speakers? [Re: Wish]
Wish Administrator Offline
🌴 VSP Moderator 🌵
Planeteer

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
After looking at the Roland vs880 manual, I think glen is talking about SYS PRM (system parameters?), not SYS PRIN.

The sections I looked at started on page 56 Select an input Source and page 158 Determining Output.

https://www.roland.com/global/support/by...8-fbde4f97af44/

#1644917 - 02/20/20 02:59 AM Re: uptildawn i think u are saying sys prin has nothing to do with hearing playback thru external speakers? [Re: Wish]
gyorpb Offline
Space Cadet

This is (most likely) not an issue of any "system" setting, but a routing problem. Also, when listening to an external CD player, you will be listening through the input mixer, while the recorded tracks are played back through the track mixer.

The VS is a complicated machine, and hence there are a myriad of options, many of which can lead to the problem you are having. You will really need to RTFM (again), if you forgot how to operate it.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
5 registered (C Jo Go, 4 invisible) and 9 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Jazzooo
Al
Silversmith
Timster
Tom Mix
Ismellelephant
Popmann
NOK
gonzo
Mooseboy
moontan
Doughboy
C Jo Go
flatcat
paulb
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
fonts
Gretsch 6120
vvvm
String Jammer
glensimonds
Vanillagrits
T57Strat
GAMBLE
Jammer
SteveW
JazAddict
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
Delso
Dave Morris
Liquidirt
LakeStone Karl
slotz
Milkman
Dan Barnes
Forum Stats
21036 Members
29 Forums
139938 Topics
1611107 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 11/19/19 07:32 PM
Newest Members
Slickejooks, BiffBongo, Logrinn, 0861, Predrag
21036 Registered Users

Generated in 0.031 seconds in which 0.022 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.