Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1644844 - 02/19/20 03:14 PM Simple security tips
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

Flatcat posted a thread raising a red flag about in-home audio devices like Alexa.

I worked as a programmer beginning in the early 80's, and I have learned just enough to be justifiably paranoid about technology. I'm sure others here have tips they'd like to share. Here are some of mine...

1. I taped a yellow sticky over the camera-eye on my laptop. Hackers, chat sites and nefarious neer-do-wells can't access my cam.

2. I keep my phone relatively clean of apps. Headlines regularly report how apps are collecting personal data. That Allstate good driver app is just crazy. As are the "Health" tracking apps.

3. I've turned off "Location" tracking on apps. I set mapping apps to only collect my location data when the app is in use. Of course, as noted elsewhere - how can we really be sure...

4. I run my browser in Incognito, or Private mode so it doesn't amass a historical log of everywhere I've been.

5. I regularly "Clear All" of my browser history. It's inconvenient if it takes away auto-login info, but better safe than sorry.

6. I use passwords (but don't change them as often as I should). There are password programs to manage them and they generate wild passwords you could never remember. I haven't checked to see if you can sync a phone app password generator with your PC, otherwise, you couldn't log in to sites from your phone.

7. I use duckduckgo.com - never google, for searches. It claims not to retain every search you've ever made.

8. I have several email accounts, some with fictitious names for junk mail. Foolishly, I use gmail for my personal business and utility accounts. Google is known to scan your gmail - grrr!

9. Mailinator.com is a great service for one-off email id's when you need an email address to gain access to a site that you will never access again, and don't want to expose your real email for junk mail ads. Mailinator doesn't require a login. Just give it the name you'd like to use. Others may be using the same name (receiving mail to the same id), but you can check the mail watching for a activation code for your site of interest, then never check it again.

10. Facial Recognition is more and more prevalent. Someone mentioned buying a Don Trump mask to defeat it. Soon, we may all be wearing surgical masks for legit medical reasons, but they conceal all but your eyes. You'll note that many protestors are now sporting masks in public demonstrations. Scary times...

11. I've tried not signing medical privacy and terms of service acceptance forms (some 14 pages long in tiny, tiny print). You risk denial of service, but they want to know everything, with no responsibility for keeping it in-house.

12. VPN hides your IP address, so sites can't track you to your real world location. You can add the VPN vendor's app to your phone and load it on your PC for better coverage. I bought a year's VPN service for about $30 from Private Internet Access. Caveat - some sites you may want to know where you are, like searching for local movies and restaurants. You'll be surprised to get a listing for the VPN server's area.

Your tips?

#1644845 - 02/19/20 03:27 PM Re: Simple security tips [Re: FatherApe]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

BTW - Yes, I know, I'm a complete dumbfack listing my real name on my several content sites. Maybe I should have setup FatherApe.com. Oh well...
#1644846 - 02/19/20 03:44 PM Re: Simple security tips [Re: FatherApe]
C Jo Go Online   content
pseudo musician ~●¿●~
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
"4. I run my browser in Incognito, or Private mode so it doesn't amass a historical log of everywhere I've been."

What is the best method or app for this --- using FireFox

Edited by C Jo Go (02/19/20 06:08 PM)

#1644877 - 02/19/20 05:47 PM Re: Simple security tips [Re: C Jo Go]
pbrowne Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Loveland,CO,USA
always use two factor authentication for anything pertaining to money or your personal information.

if a site doesn't have it it's not protecting it's clients.

#1644905 - 02/19/20 11:10 PM Re: Simple security tips [Re: pbrowne]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

Quote:

Not sure if that was a question... When you open Firefox for Windows, right click the Firefox icon on your desktop and select "Open Private Window"

#1644915 - 02/20/20 02:13 AM Re: Simple security tips [Re: FatherApe]
C Jo Go Online   content
pseudo musician ~●¿●~
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
 Originally Posted By: FatherApe
 Quote:

Not sure if that was a question... When you open Firefox for Windows, right click the Firefox icon on your desktop and select "Open Private Window"

"You’re in a Private Window" Got it >> thanks kindly ~!!

#1645027 - 02/20/20 04:32 PM Re: Simple security tips [Re: FatherApe]
FalconEddy Offline
Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Loc: Litchfield, NH, USA
Yes, here's what I consider to be an OUTSTANDING TIP:

NEVER tap the a$$ of your new wife's younger sister after just getting married. Especially without a condom. \:D

Oh, you probably meant security related tips, correct? Silly Me.

Your first, best destiny for creating a secure password is to use an MD5 encryption on it after you come up with it. However, since most end-users aren't THAT adept or even comprehend this technique, hope that the site you're registering a User Name and Password on allows for at LEAST a 16 character password that includes and ENTIRE character set of:

ALPHA

NUMERIC

and

SYMBOLS

That means the entire alphabet (UPPER and lower case). 0 - 9 for the numbers. Then ALL the symbols on your keyboard/keypad (E.G. @%*=~}[>/\|`'), etc.

NEXT, if they allow 20 characters, use 20 characters. The longer your password is the longer it takes to crack it. Jimmy Johns (freaky fast sandwiches) allows online users 24 characters, with NO RESTRICTIONS IN THE PASSWORD for the standard character set.

They had over 2,800 locations as of October 2018 and are still growing the business. It's currently one of the safest sites on the Web, and being HAMMERED continuously 24/7 by black hats trying to break their security protocols they have in place; but totally unsuccessful at this point in time.

Never use words from the dictionary. These are the first place hackers start by using a brute force method to see if the can obtain the information, or need to use other means & methods.

An outstanding example of what I've dubbed a 16 character 'non-repetitive, three-subset' password is as follows:

+2Ov5:C9%Ig6?Zp3

NO characters are repeated
NO lower case characters are adjacent to one another
NO UPPER CASE characters are adjacent to one another
NO number characters are adjacent to one another
NO symbol characters are adjacent to one another
NO words from the dictionary are part of the password

You can go to this Strong, Random Password Generator, where you can select all your variables before generating it.

You will then need to modify it as I have stated above. It's a good generator, but it might give you nine symbols, four numbers, and one each for UPPER CASE, lower case and symbols; so it CAN BE QUIRKY to a certain extent since it totally random.

BUT, you can also keep clicking that GENERATE button to your hearts desire. Just keep the items apart that I mentioned above.

. . Falcon

#1645054 - 02/20/20 09:17 PM Re: Simple security tips [Re: FalconEddy]
grachus Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 92
Planeteer

Loc: burlington ont, canada
I am kinda not too paranoid about the internet except for banking. I hate to loose my funds so close to just fn times of old age but also being able to hand all this over to my childeren, I can hear them now, dad twenty bucks wow and a Roland vs 2000cd, your such a successful artist...but I faking hate those computer haters scammers and theirs so much...I mean yes you know how to type code so what frighted off......... damn freedom is so fragile isnt it??

#1645067 - 02/21/20 04:12 AM Re: Simple security tips [Re: grachus]
kendall Offline
Planeteer

Loc: amsterdam, netherlands
FalconEddy, thanks for that info!

Question...How safe is it to change your banking or other important passwords with an iPad as example? Any suggestions on the security of changing a password without it being read by someone/some thing as it is being sent?

#1645126 - 02/21/20 01:09 PM Re: Simple security tips [Re: kendall]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

I have wondered to about how secure passwords are since they must be stored on the site you use to access that site.
#1645130 - 02/21/20 01:36 PM Re: Simple security tips [Re: FatherApe]
pbrowne Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Loveland,CO,USA
passwords generally use a one-way encryption algorithm in any modern implementation.

you really shouldn't just use passwords though - two factor authentication and end to end encryption is the way to go, at least for now.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (motown59, Heartwaves) and 4 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Jazzooo
Al
Silversmith
Timster
Tom Mix
Ismellelephant
Popmann
NOK
gonzo
Mooseboy
moontan
Doughboy
C Jo Go
flatcat
paulb
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
fonts
Gretsch 6120
vvvm
String Jammer
glensimonds
Vanillagrits
T57Strat
GAMBLE
Jammer
SteveW
JazAddict
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
Delso
Dave Morris
Liquidirt
LakeStone Karl
slotz
Milkman
Dan Barnes
Forum Stats
21036 Members
29 Forums
139941 Topics
1611125 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 11/19/19 07:32 PM
Newest Members
Slickejooks, BiffBongo, Logrinn, 0861, Predrag
21036 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.