Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1645132 - 02/21/20 08:11 PM More technology terrors...
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

Spikeram suggests a screenplay based on invasive cell phone technology. Sadly, his screenplay has been surpassed by reality - in the 2016 election and before.

This Atlantic Magazine article by McKay Coppin details how political parties (one in particluar) are harvesting cell phone numbers to send annonymous text messages intended to dissuade micro-targeted communities from voting, or to persuade them to support a particular candidate.

We've heard about how the Russians use Facebook to influence voters. One of our own political parties used the same techniques to place 1.2 million ads that dissimenate false info. Not only traditional lies. The author sat through the live impeachment hearings, then watched as video ads started popping up on Facebook that purportedly showed clips of the same video - but different. The ads were digitally manipulated to show exoneration as reality.

In the 2020 election, the party plans to spend $1 billion to implement the latest technology to continue their agenda. According to the article, both parties are beginning to employ the same tactics that Russians and other-world demagogues have found successful.

The ultimate risk is not just persuading voters to swing votes, but to steal away our confidence in news and democracy.

It's a long read, but when you have the time, I highly recommend you take it in. It's scary stuff.

#1645226 - 02/22/20 06:25 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: FatherApe]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
https://fox59.com/news/as-phone-companie...From%20%251%24s

#1645229 - 02/22/20 06:44 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: C Jo Go]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

I saw that.

I've received no less than 6-7 political campaign related texts just recently.

#1645294 - 02/23/20 05:28 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: FatherApe]
Spikerama Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Oklahoma
 Originally Posted By: FatherApe

The ultimate risk is not just persuading voters to swing votes, but to steal away our confidence in news and democracy.

I definitely do not have confidence in news organizations.

MySpace instrumentals

Chicken Pickin' and other assorted videos (Youtube)

--------------------------------------------------

#1645300 - 02/23/20 07:19 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: Spikerama]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

I've lost all confidence in political parties. Both Russia and our political parties are falsifying news and casting doubt on America's government. I don't really use facebook or twitter - and those are BIG diseminators of political falsehoods.

For new, I scan the headlines of several big name sites:

* Washington Post (admittedly, owned by Jeff Bezos)
* NY Times
* CNN
* Pro-Publica
* Politico
* Atlantic
* Huffington Post (for a liberal perspective)
* PBS Newshour
* BBC and/or Asian news shows

That way, when a news theme is common to several platforms, I can better trust it.

#1645304 - 02/23/20 07:37 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: FatherApe]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

I've lost all confidence in political parties. Both Russia and our political parties are falsifying news and casting doubt on America's government. I don't really use facebook or twitter - and those are BIG diseminators of political falsehoods.

For new, I scan the headlines of several big name sites:

* Washington Post (admittedly, owned by Jeff Bezos)
* NY Times
* CNN
* Pro-Publica
* Politico
* Atlantic
* Huffington Post (for a liberal perspective)
* PBS Newshour
* BBC and/or Asian news shows

That way, when a news theme is common to several platforms, I can better trust it.

I tend to agree. There are journalists and news organizations out there doing good work. And, IMO, if you're even mildly educated, discerning but not paranoid, and most importantly *honest* (in that I-am-aware-of-confirmation-bias-and-how-it-affects-me kind of way) - it's possible to be rationally and reasonably informed by taking in a number of sources and forming a sort of average, aggregate opinion from those sources. Honesty is key. Courage and conviction to accept inconvenient truths is empowering.

I have said and thought for a long time... I welcome being "wrong". I want to learn. I want to understand what is actually so, what's true. I don't have an idea or opinion about things and look for information that confirms that. I look for information and then form an opinion.

#1645308 - 02/23/20 07:42 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: FatherApe]
JazAddict Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The West Coast of Florida

I see no reason to view common themes (especially amomg all the like-political sources) as some kind of validation.

#1645310 - 02/23/20 07:47 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: JazAddict]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: JazAddict

I see no reason to view common themes (especially amomg all the like-political sources) as some kind of validation.

So - if there's a plane crash and not just one but 7+ news distributors cover the story - that doesn't add legitimacy to that alleged event? It doesn't mean there was a plane crash - how would I know - I wasn't there. But I'm a lot more inclined to trust that it happened if a number of sources say so.

#1645312 - 02/23/20 08:00 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: Webster]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

The other day it was reported by multiple "news" sources - that intelligence agencies had briefed the Trump admin. that Russia (and others) were working again to meddle in the upcoming general on Trumps behalf... and that they were also working on Sander's behalf.

A soon as I saw that story I went and looked at Fox News. Nada. Nothing. Certainly nothing prominent at the top or near the top of their website. I watched for two days. Nothing. Everyone else was reporting this story.

They ran a story on the *Sanders* aspect of the intelligence report - and it was a major front headline at Fox: "Bernie Sanders disavows reported Russian efforts to help his campaign"

The trump aspect was either not reported on... or buried.

My point here is not to beat up on Fox News. It's that the story seemed legit to me because *all* of the other mainstream sources covered the story. It added legitimacy to the likely truth that intelligence agencies did in fact alert the Trump campaign.

#1645313 - 02/23/20 08:16 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: Webster]
Spikerama Offline
Planeteer

Also...news organizations can spin something while telling the truth at the same time.

Example:

Let's say a certain party spends $900,000 on something. If a news organization favors that party, they can report the cost in a favorable light by calling it "less" than 1 million. An unfavorable description would be "almost" a million. Lots of editorializing goes on when we just need the facts.

MySpace instrumentals

#1645317 - 02/23/20 08:42 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: Spikerama]
jimmyrock Offline
Department Head of Redundancy Department Head
Planeteer

Loc: America's File Cabinet
 Originally Posted By: Spikerama
Also...news organizations can spin something while telling the truth at the same time.

Lots of editorializing goes on when we just need the facts.

but I'll note you nailed it right there that the spin is pretty obvious if you're paying attention, like in your example

#1645318 - 02/23/20 08:42 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: Spikerama]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

Absolutely. I think that's a very common tactic.

It's not my favorite thing... but it's true... and that is that it takes work, it takes effort to stay properly informed. Case in point - is that with the point you made there - you are aware that that happens. That is empowering by itself. It gives you an advantage as opposed to someone who is oblivious or ignorant to that type of editorial slant. I understand that it sows mistrust. I get it. But it's a bigger mistake, IMO, to throw up our arms in disgust and stop trying to figure out what's true, what is so. We're really screwed once we get to that point.

I believe it's possible to find sources that avoid or minimize that sort of thing. I happen to think that NPR and PBS are very good sources. I watch news very closely. It drives my wife crazy - how I'm pointing out poor reporting all the time. It happens a lot with ABC, CBS, and NBC. I don't watch cable news because they are too over the top- it's just ridiculous. I mean they're just openly, unapologetically biased (plus I haven't subscribed to cable TV in over a decade - and even when I did I didn't *ever* watch CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News.)

In fact, after I forced myself to read (it is not a fun read) the book "Manufacturing Consent" many years ago - I have not and will not ever look at the mass media the same way again. And the digital age has taken all this to an entire new level.

Nonetheless - I will continue to do the work that I deem necessary to at least attempt to be properly informed. For as Chomsky has said, paraphrasing: A democracy works best when we have a properly informed electorate making rational decisions about matters and policy that affect them.

#1645319 - 02/23/20 08:53 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: Webster]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Florida - Dunnellon
Maybe consider The Epoch Times?

The Epoch Times

Something else to consider... follow the money. Who is financing whom? Who stands to gain? What are their affiliations and interests?

Starliner

Edited by Starliner (02/23/20 08:55 PM)

#1645321 - 02/23/20 09:13 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: Starliner]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

Epoch times looks like a worthy addition to my list. It’s a little disconcerting though, that on my first visit ever, it displayed ads targeted to my demographic (senior citizen on Medicare).

Hmmm...

#1645322 - 02/23/20 09:34 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: FatherApe]
Andy McClelland Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Commanda, Ontario Canada
I like Reuters and the Associated Press.

Never mind, Just give me a B and I'll flatten it myself.

Andy on SoundCloud

#1645323 - 02/23/20 09:38 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: FatherApe]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

Epoch times looks like a worthy addition to my list. It’s a little disconcerting though, that on my first visit ever, it displayed ads targeted to my demographic (senior citizen on Medicare).

Hmmm...

Dude.... please tell me you understood that as a joke. You were doing fine with the above list. Just stick with that.

Edited by Webster (02/23/20 09:39 PM)

#1645331 - 02/23/20 10:48 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: Webster]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

Ok, but for the record both Reuter’s and AP are in my news corral. And once a week or so I will scan the Christian post (With the understanding that they will not report most of the blatant Don foolery from DC).
#1645333 - 02/23/20 10:53 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: FatherApe]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

Sinclair news is said to be buying up local stations around the country and putting their span on the news. The original article noted an organization that lets you buy news stories which they plug into fake news articles with your spin.

The author also noted that he had watched the live impeachment hearings and then watched his Facebook feed for clips that had been altered and presented as straight out of the live feed.

#1645337 - 02/23/20 11:52 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: FatherApe]
Spikerama Offline
Planeteer

I actually have a BA in Mass Communications. I don't use it at all at my job.

Edited by Spikerama (02/23/20 11:54 PM)

MySpace instrumentals

#1645375 - 02/24/20 03:26 PM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: Spikerama]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Loc: California
What about real news which doesn't get reported?

The Inspector General's report showed that Michael Steele and Ivanka Trump knew each other for a decade before the dossier was created. Ivanka Trump even considered hiring him for the Trump Foundation!

So the IG Report was released, the story was reported on for one day and not a word in the media since. Nothing from Trump on his daughter's long relationship with Michael Steele. It's a complete blackout from the "liberal" media. Meanwhile, Trump is still pushing the lie that the Democrats created the Steele Dossier.

And, of course, nobody in the media gives a damn about the Trump Foundation scandal. How many Americans are aware that Trump confessed to stealing from widows, orphans and disabled veterans and paid a two million dollar fine?

And people wonder why I think the election is fixed and this is just an elaborate Kabuki Dance...

#1645441 - 02/25/20 12:15 AM Re: More technology terrors... [Re: Slabraton]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

we live in scary times
Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849690 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.029 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.