Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1651514 - 04/04/20 07:29 PM You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ...
Alan Offline
Nice guy! Cuddly Alan
Planeteer

Loc: Sauchie, Scotland, UK
but no-one, or very few people will be able to understand or share your anorak joy?

Happened to me tonight, about 5 minutes ago.

In 1995 I bought a Korg 05R/W sound module. I could always control what it did using MIDI with the usual MIDI continuous controllers to change the usual suspects like pan, fx sends, and the NRPNs etc.

But I could never over these 25 years change a single parameter successfully using sysex: Until tonight!

I'm just so thrilled. I now look at the sysex implementation tables and completely understand how to manipulate every value.

Wow! It's like I have just cracked open an new instrument and noise generator.

As I have done many times over the years trying to get this working.. I really stuck at it tonight. Thought hard and tried a lot of things without success.

Looking at from more of a programming side I realized that it (the sound module) is just a processor that needs to know what "mode" it needs to be in so it's "ready to receive" the commands I have been trying to send for the last 25 years.

"F0,42,30,36,4E,04,00,F7" - this is it! The key! A Mode change request prior to sending the parameter change requests. The key!

YAHOO!!

YouTube - Soundcloud - Facebook

#1651517 - 04/04/20 07:47 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: Alan]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
I feel that way :: when a floppy disk still loads the data and all 16 channels are syncing to the daw ... remembering all the changes I wrote in the 80/90's

#1651519 - 04/04/20 07:57 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: C Jo Go]
Alan Offline
Nice guy! Cuddly Alan
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: C Jo Go
I feel that way :: when a floppy disk still loads the data and all 16 channels are syncing to the daw ... remembering all the changes I wrote in the 80/90's

That good CJG \:\)

The technology of disk drives, of any kind, have always amazed me. Their ability to read and write huge amounts of data at such speed and accurately without affecting the integrity of the data to be saved or retrieved. It's such amazing precision electronic technology. What blows my brain further is it's all based on electromagnetism which defies me as inside most drives are the strongest magnets you will find.

SSD's obviously are the next evolutionary step, but I really do tug my forelocks to the engineers that created the floppy and hard drive.

#1651526 - 04/04/20 08:32 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: Alan]
flatcat Administrator Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Westborough, MA, USA
That is really, really cool.

I have to admit MIDI is in some ways Greek to me, especially when it comes to SysEx. I mean, I think I get it in theory. But actually use it? Not so much.

Congratulations!

Professor Truth T. Sweetness says,"Mind your manners!"

#1651531 - 04/04/20 09:19 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: Alan]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Alan
 Originally Posted By: C Jo Go

That good CJG \:\)

The technology of disk drives, of any kind, have always amazed me. Their ability to read and write huge amounts of data at such speed and accurately without affecting the integrity of the data to be saved or retrieved. It's such amazing precision electronic technology. What blows my brain further is it's all based on electromagnetism which defies me as inside most drives are the strongest magnets you will find.

SSD's obviously are the next evolutionary step, but I really do tug my forelocks to the engineers that created the floppy and hard drive.

Yes > Great break through on the SSD -- I started with the 5 1/4 disc ... My first digital camera used 3 1/2 in FD ( one shot to a floppy ) \:\/ Then we incorporated JAZ drives ~! SCSI externals --etc. Kinda of where I stopped

College days -- my life was on this card at Orientation ;\)

Edited by C Jo Go (04/04/20 09:24 PM)

#1651532 - 04/04/20 09:26 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: C Jo Go]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

I believe these made it all the way up to 4 gig \:o

#1651534 - 04/04/20 09:42 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: C Jo Go]
Brian Glock Offline
Planeteer / Artist # 451
Planeteer

Loc: Baltimore
Fun stuff for sure...
#1651535 - 04/04/20 09:50 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: Brian Glock]
grachus Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 92
Planeteer

Loc: burlington ont, canada
I have one of those Zip disk thingies...thats awesome Allan to find a key like that nice...does this mean more sounds from you coming into our rooms...comon.
I have three keyboards in my studio and I use midi only in taking on some extra sounds out of the logic program I record with... so I use the keyboard as a midi controller....as far as using midi to do anything else its always been a mystery to me..I know in basic form but as far as manipulating it or using it I dont.....as far as those moments I have them often when ive slipped out for a near midnight smoke and then realize the guitar is a musical instrument of god

#1651537 - 04/04/20 10:06 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: grachus]
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

"You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing!"

I'm still waiting, I'm sure it will come any day now.

#1651547 - 04/04/20 10:42 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: Ismellelephant]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

Back in the good old days, I was a programmer on a proprietary GIS (digital mapping) system. A working buddy and I set out to replace the vendor's platform with one we were writing which was a subset/replacement/enhancement. But the vendor's platform had a proprietary database which made it next to impossible to share the data stored across the enterprise (a big utility company).

Oracle was the company's preferred enterprise database so we used Oracle for our db in the new homemade GIS. But network mapping (utility lines running across the country) is built on a network model. Oracle, by default is a table driven beast.

As a consultant, I was always purchasing books as references or late night reading materials. In the middle of one particular Oracle book, I happened upon a very non-intuitive 1 line SQL command that let us store our network data and traverse upstream and downstream to 'trace' the network.

I showed my buddy the next day and cha-ching, we did the impossible. The chief progammer for the vendor's GIS platform saw our product and said, "you guys have replaced our enterprise GIS product in 2 months time!"

My buddy went on to develop add-ons to serve every need of depatments across the enterprise. All due to that one line of code!

#1651548 - 04/04/20 10:51 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: FatherApe]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

Good for you Alan. Programming is by nature a learn as you go venture. Sysex has been on the back of your mind all of these years, and your cumulative experience finally put all of the pieces together in your head to take a giant leap in your world of MIDI projects.

Sometimes, these things are the cumulative work in daylight hours, and continued work in the dream state. I still wake up to discover my last night dream I was building a program to do some task or another.

And I haven't written a line of code in 15 years or more.

#1651566 - 04/05/20 12:01 AM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: FatherApe]
Marty Gilman Offline
Official Planet Sax Monster - Planeteer/Artist # 117
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Palm Beach, Florida- U S A
Glad to hear it. I dealt with sysex stuff when I was doing the MIDI band with 6 keyboard/modules and 2 sequencers.

Now you can get to work.......

-m

#1651588 - 04/05/20 02:55 AM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: Marty Gilman]
Doofie Offline
Doofie
Planeteer

Loc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Yesterday Suzanne asked me if the sink would be working in the multipurpose room that I have been building for the last several years in our basement. I said, "yes it does". She said, "Good, 'cause if I need to quarantine myself because of the testing that is being done at my hospital, I will need a place to quarantine myself."

This was enough to spur me into trying to finish the areas that she would need to keep herself healthy and isolated as she continued to work to help reduce the effects of this pandemic.

So yes, in the last two days I have completed some amazing work in the hobby renovation that I call my basement. But it was my wife's need that motivated me to get it done.
-Seneca The Younger ~76AD

I'm David McMillan. My friends call me Chuck.

#1651631 - 04/05/20 02:40 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: Doofie]
kendall Offline
Planeteer

Loc: amsterdam, netherlands
Doofie, both you and Suzanne have, and are doing, something amazing. 🙏🏽

#1651639 - 04/05/20 03:13 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: kendall]
Alan Offline
Nice guy! Cuddly Alan
Planeteer

Good Job! Chuck.

#1651640 - 04/05/20 03:21 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: Alan]
BiffBongo Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Southern Ohio
I've still got one of those Zip Drives....mine is nowhere close to 4 gigs.
Also,most times I've ever done anything great(at least in my puny mind).....the RED LIGHT was off! OCHT!

#1651647 - 04/05/20 03:45 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: BiffBongo]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

Doofie - you're a good man! And it sounds like you have a good woman \:\)
#1651673 - 04/05/20 06:16 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: Alan]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Loc: California
 Originally Posted By: Alan
but no-one, or very few people will be able to understand or share your anorak joy?

I am not sure what "anorak joy" is, reminds me of "Mars Attacks."

But it's occurred to me that I spend so much time in my studio and not only do I not know what I'm doing in there, nobody else does either. It's as if I've got a secret life...and spend hours trying to figure out how to do things instantly.

The most frustrating part of modern recording setups is finally getting it to work and having no idea what I did!

#1651675 - 04/05/20 06:24 PM Re: You ever had one of these moments when you do something amazing! ... [Re: Slabraton]
Alan Offline
Nice guy! Cuddly Alan
Planeteer

"The most frustrating part of modern recording setups is finally getting it to work and having no idea what I did!"

That's so horrible for me as a diagnostic engineer. I need to know!! It's a quality that can reduce the production rate but I see it as time invested so the 'It's not working' moments no longer mess up your future sessions.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159741 Topics
1849567 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.034 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.