Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1650300 - 03/28/20 12:36 PM Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader?
Logrinn Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Sweden
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and need some help.
I got my old VS880 back from a friend after many years, but it won't boot. It shows the NoDrv messsage.
I've since learned that the software version is really old - 2.00 in fact - and can of course be ugraded.
Now I don't know if I'm in a catch-22 situation here.
Do I need a working hard drive to be able to update the operating system to the latest one?
I would like to exchange the old harddrive with a CF-card instead.
Can I add a CF to 44 pin adapater to convert it to CF-memory card with the current operating system or do I need to update it to the latest version first?

What order do I need to make the changes/updates?
First a working harddrive?
Or can I update the OS via midi first?

Looking forward to some advice so I can move forward.

All the best,
Logrinn

#1650318 - 03/28/20 03:58 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Hi - let me see if I can offer a bit of help to get you going.

1- have you opened the hard drive bay to see if there is a hard drive inside?
2- if there is, you might try carefully pulling the drive caddy out and reseating it to be sure it is connected properly (once you've opened the cavity, there's just 2 screw to remove, but maybe use a screwdriver with a lightly magnetized tip and be careful not to drop the screws inside the unit - what a hassle to get them back out).
3- I believe you can perform the os update without a working hard drive, since the update happens at a level below the boot stage - I think....
4- Have you done an os update before? - Yes, you definitely will want to update it... the last version is 3.205 and there's an A and B version.
5- You should know how to read the complete version as well - with the power completely turned off, hold down the Channel 1 Select and Status buttons and turn on the power with the switch on back. Once it begins powering up you can let go of the two buttons. Eventually it should display the whole version number, which will consist of a single digit - 2 - and THREE decimal places - xxx - In your case it would be 2.00x (x being the missing 3rd decimal place).
6- Updating the os is probably best performed using the SMF update tool that Roland has (now broken) links to with all their os update links. You can find the tool with a google search, which will actually take you to the roland website page (I don't know why they won't bother to fix the links - it's a necessary component). Be sure to download the correct pc or mac version.
7- Be sure to download the correct os for your 880 model and be sure to download the correct format - pc/mac. Instructions for performing the update are straightforward enough and will be found in both the os update and smf too readme.txt files that come in the zipped folder at download.
8- You will need a midi connection out of the computer to plug into the 880 midi in. If you don't have this, you can find usb to midi cables that will work (high price doesn't necessarily equate to working vs not working - sometimes it's simply the luck of the draw, I swear! - cheap is fine usually).
9- You can also perform the update with other software sequencers, but I have never personally done so... and if you have the zip version of the os, you can do the update via a scsi zip drive.

10- It seems to me that once accomplished, this should bring your 880 up to the v-xpanded level. The A and B versions of the update should be installed in an either/or fashion and not together. The A version gives you the ability to use a CD drive on the scsi port for backups, etc. (but only certain brand/models work for this, so be aware). The B version lets you backup and recover from a DAT tape machine through the rca jack digital spdif connection and won't be useful to you unless you still have and use DAT tapes (some do, including myself). The one version can be swapped for the other version when the need arises without fear of ruining the machine (at least as far as can be expected and I have personally not had a problem, back when I had the need to change it a few times).

I hope this gets you started. Leave the cf adapter mod for after you've accomplished the os update. And if you need a replacement hard drive to get the os updated afterall, then the main thing you want to consider is that it should have an average seek time of 13ms or less - 5400rpm is fine (I believe 7200rpm is also) - 4800rpm (?) might be fine, but why go that slow? - your total allowed size is only 4GB, so don't go crazy on size unless the price is a major factor.

Keep us updated on your progress - and welcome to the Planet.

#1650523 - 03/29/20 05:11 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: uptildawn]
Logrinn Offline
Space Cadet

Hello uptildawn.

Thank you for your replies.
I'll see if I can be as thorough as you in my reply.
1. Yes I have, and yes there are.
2. I have already tried this.
3. After some thinking about this I'm sure you're right. Logic dictataes that in order for the machine to go through updates and stuff, one would need to access the "bios"-software so to speak. Which can't reside on the harddrive.
So in fact I tried to update the VS880 using my Akai MPC Live, but it seemed that the Akai sequencer doesn't transmit sysex-data.
Instead I used a Presonus interface with midi that I've got, hooked it up to my Mac and used Rolands update/midi file player software.
That did indeed work and my VS880 is now updated to 3.205B.
4. See above. I've done many updates back in the day when I worked at a music store for 15 years and every synth and workstation received updates regularly.
5. The previous version was 2.001
6. See above - done!
7. See above - done!
8. My initial thought was to use my Akai MPC Live, since I thought that I didn't have a midi interface for my Mac. But after some rummaging, I found the Presonus interface and that worked without any problems.
9. Once upon a time I used to have scsi-zip-drives and all sorts of stuff, but most, if not all are gone now.
10. The VS880 was actually v-xpanded since before. There's the FX-card inside it, that - if I'm not mistaken - updated the machine to v-xpanded status back in the day (1999, 2000 or something?) when I bought the machine and then the fx-card.
I decided to go with the B version in case I want to do some backup using a DAT (which I don't own anymore, but I'm sure I've got some friends who have some).

I had a look at web stores that offers harddrives, but getting a 2.5" drive isn't that easy. I've found some 500Gb ones* that are not that expensive, but I'll try the CF-card reader update** next.

*this one
**these should hopefully work: CF-card adapter
and
CF-memory card

Again, thanks for your replies.
I'll keep you posted how it goes once I receive the adapter and memory card.

#1650559 - 03/29/20 08:41 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Sounds like you are well on your way. Thanks for being so thorough in your replies. It's bound to be helpful for people in the years to come.

Yes - you will definitely want to come up with some way of backing up your SONGS files regularly. The cf mod might be a good way to do so, if you don't mind swapping out cards periodically, so they don't get overly full - 4GB is your max drive size and 1GB partitions is the max you can use, regardless of your overall card size.

If you get in the habit of regularly transferring your cf card to a pc/mac to transfer tracks, you will need to be sure to have the necessary tools onboard the computer to extract that proprietary Roland data, since the computer's operating system will not be able to do anything with it directly.

Hopefully, you are already aware of the tools and processes - VSWE (pc only) for wav file extraction and/or/both Reaper daw (possibly requiring a further .dll file made for the purpose of importing VS SONG files) for both recalling the dry tracks from an 880 SONG and rendering tracks and stems to mp3 and/or wav file format - as well as using it for general mixing, editing, mastering, etc.

I'm not sure if the 880 has this capability, but at least some models can be set to operate with only an external hard drive connected to the scsi port (therefore allowing you to remove the internal drive). There should be info somewhere in the manual about this, if you're interested.

Edited by uptildawn (03/29/20 08:43 PM)

#1650644 - 03/30/20 05:04 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: uptildawn]
Logrinn Offline
Space Cadet

Hello and thank you again for your replies and comments.

The CF memory card and the card adapter are now ordered and I'll let you know once I get them how things turn out.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work as they're supposed to.

The backup procedure is not such a big issue for me right now as I'm trying things out.
I've had sequencers on computers on and off since 1986 and having worked a lot with support in the 90's for all matters hitech in a music store, I've built an aversion to software solutions like all the DAW's that are out there on the market today.
I'm sure they're all kinds of wonderful but I'm also all too familiar with all the negative sides of these, hence my decision to use as much hardware stuff I can.

So if this turns out ok - or at least what I hope it will do, I might start looking for something more powerful.

There doesn't exist many digital multi track recorders today, especially not with MTC sync, but I really like what the VS2480 has to offer.

I'm guessing they're pretty hard to find, but that's a problem for another day.

Let's first get my old VS880 up and running and then I'll start making some recording syncing it to my Akai MPC Live.

#1651707 - 04/05/20 07:41 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
ptbcomposer Offline
Space Cadet

Hey there, I'm a noob here too. First post actually! Glad I found this thread because it's very similar to what I'm about to do.

I unburied my 880 after it being in storage for 15 years (used it off and on between 2001-2005, then never again due to various reasons involving hurricanes, moving, and college). Have a need/want for it again to record my band, always loved the sound it produced vs recording directly into a PC.

I also have to update my VS; it's currently on 2.090 (with v-expanded). It also has what I assume to be the original HDD, so I'm going to do the CF card mod and mount it to make it easily removable as I never found the onboard editing user-friendly (going to convert tracks and import into Cubase).

I have a zip drive for it but need to figure out how to mount a zip drive to my PC for the update; after reading the MIDI method I'm not very keen on it so I think the zip method is for me.

#1651709 - 04/05/20 07:47 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: ptbcomposer]
Logrinn Offline
Space Cadet

The midi method was actually very easy to do.
For me, the problem was that I didn't have a midi interface to my computer (or so I first thought).
Once I realised I had, I downloaded Rolands Midi File player for updates and loaded the 8 midifiles and sent them to the VS880 that was ready to accept an update.
The player program "played" through the 8 midifiles without any problem (took a couple of minutes) and then the actual update could begin.

Edited by Logrinn (04/05/20 07:48 PM)

#1651716 - 04/05/20 08:36 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Would you mind letting us in on the secret that you discovered about your midi interface - having, not having? Not to be rude, or anything, but you've left this question in the air - Well, this person "found" a midi interface - what did they do/get/find??

Please let people know, so we have some sort of info to go on.

#1651718 - 04/05/20 08:44 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: ptbcomposer]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: ptbcomposer
Hey there, I'm a noob here too. First post actually! Glad I found this thread because it's very similar to what I'm about to do.

I unburied my 880 after it being in storage for 15 years (used it off and on between 2001-2005, then never again due to various reasons involving hurricanes, moving, and college). Have a need/want for it again to record my band, always loved the sound it produced vs recording directly into a PC.

I also have to update my VS; it's currently on 2.090 (with v-expanded). It also has what I assume to be the original HDD, so I'm going to do the CF card mod and mount it to make it easily removable as I never found the onboard editing user-friendly (going to convert tracks and import into Cubase).

I have a zip drive for it but need to figure out how to mount a zip drive to my PC for the update; after reading the MIDI method I'm not very keen on it so I think the zip method is for me.

I would also suggest that you go for the midi file update from your computer, rather than try to find the right adapter/card/whatever, in order to connect your zip drive to the computer and download the files to it.

If you're already using a computer for some of your recording work, then you possibly already have an interface that has midi, or have a usb-to-midi cable that might work. That's far less hassle than trying to connect your scsi zip drive to a computer that doesn't already have a scsi pci card - I'm just assuming yours doesn't, unless it's a fairly old beast in the xp realm of time.

You will definitely want to do the update (it's the only version left on Roland's website) and probably want to do it before the cf card conversion. If yours is an original 880 (not ex), then your update will have two sets of files (A and B). Use the "A" files. Only use the "B" files, if you routinely hook up a dat machine for backups and recoveries.

BUT - store the entire update folder somewhere on your computer for safekeeping. You never know when you might need it.

#1651749 - 04/05/20 10:23 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: uptildawn]
ptbcomposer Offline
Space Cadet

Well, I had 2 scsi zip drives and 1 usb zip drive. Both scsi drives are dead (1 causes the 880 to power cycle constantly, which is bad!) and the other won't read/eject the drive). The usb one works properly, but I didn't bother trying to install the drivers in Windows because what's the point if I don't have an scsi drive?

If I had a scsi to usb cable that might work, but I can't find one in all of my wires.

Looks like I'll be doing midi afterall. I don't have a midi interface, but I found my old midi-joystick port that the soundblaster cards used to use. That doesn't help however because I no longer have that soundcard. I have a midi-usb cable somewhere...

#1651817 - 04/06/20 06:57 AM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: ptbcomposer]
Logrinn Offline
Space Cadet

Regarding the question about my MIDI interface ...
I bought a Presonus audiointerface, an AudioBox iTwo, some years ago, trying to get started with audio recording on my computer. This failed miserably - I really hate DAW’s (or rather, the computer platform and everything it forces you to do, but I digress) - so I placed the interface in a drawer and forgot about it.
Now while I was trying to update the VS880, I remembered the interface and had a hunch. I retrieved it again and looked at the back and sure enough - there was the MIDI ports I needed. I hooked it up to my current computer, which thankfully recognised the interface without me having to download drivers and stuff.
Started the Roland MIDI file player program and was able to choose the Presonus as a MIDI port (although it said MIDI in, not MIDI out, but anyhoo).
So using this I was able to get it to work. Sending the sysex needed to the VS880 to update it using the Roland MIDI player software and this audio/MIDI interface.

Edited by Logrinn (04/06/20 09:24 AM)

#1651840 - 04/06/20 02:12 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Hey! Thanks so much for adding that.
As it happens, I just recently picked up one of these in the older version as a simple interface and was grateful to see that it has the midi I/O.

#1652029 - 04/07/20 04:02 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: uptildawn]
Logrinn Offline
Space Cadet

I've just received the CF memory card and the CF - IDE adapter.

Removed the hardrive from my VS880 and connected the adapter to the harddrive caddy and then the CF card to the adapter.

Started the VS 880 with my fingers crossed ...

No luck. Still got a NoDrv message.

Removed the caddy again and took out the adapter and changed the jumper to closed (was open before).
Started the VS880 again.

And now something ... is happening ...
It's stopped in the boot sequence with the <<< Setup IDE >>> showing and the MIDI/DISK is flashing like when a drive is engaged.
Doing a physical format without me having asked for it it, perhaps?
I don't know. I'll leave it for a while and see if something happens. It's only been running for 15 minutes or so.

Edited by Logrinn (04/08/20 04:18 PM)

#1652112 - 04/07/20 09:33 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

No probably just hanging because the jumper setting might be wrong.

Hey - any chance you can reduce the size of those images? They're so big, text replies get spread out wider than full screen.

#1652191 - 04/08/20 04:04 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: uptildawn]
Logrinn Offline
Space Cadet

I'll see what I can do.

Found it. Images are now smaller.

Edited by Logrinn (04/08/20 04:19 PM)

#1652195 - 04/08/20 04:25 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
Logrinn Offline
Space Cadet

Anyway, the update didn't work and I believe I've tried everything I could at the moment.
So the harddrive is fried and the CF-adapter update doesn't work, which unfortunately means that my VS880 will have to go back on the shelf until some other options emerges that might make it work.
I might try the CF-adapter update again using another card, but for now I need to be making music.

Which leads me to ...
What's everybodys favourite non-DAW solution these days?
(Besides a working VS machine that is ...)

#1652279 - 04/09/20 04:43 AM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
ptbcomposer Offline
Space Cadet

I like full-band "live" room recording with my tascam dr-05. Previously I used a zoom h2 until it mysteriously died (no power; think i burnt out the circuit somehow). Then I import and edit/splice the takes into sound forge (not really a daw, right? just a complicated wav editor). As long as I get enough good takes I can make a pretty clean recording that's good enough. It just takes a bit more time to do it that way.

I'm going to use the VS-880 for my band's "3rd" CD (in quotes because we're really just a gigging band and give out CDs for tips to help promote the band). I used the live room and sound forge method for the first 2 CDs but this time I want to do it right and see just how good we can be.

#1652295 - 04/09/20 10:26 AM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: ptbcomposer]
Logrinn Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks for the reply.
Live recording for me is unfortunately not an option at the moment.
I’m recording stuff by myself in my small home studio.
Since I do stuff in my Akai MPC Live I’m looking for a recording solution that allows me to sync the Akai with the recorder. So a Tascam DP24SD or DP32SD won’t work unless I use a Smpte/Mtc sync unit and record a sync track on it old school style.
And I really don’t want more equipment than necessary.

#1652314 - 04/09/20 03:07 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
What's everybodys favourite non-DAW solution these days?
(Besides a working VS machine that is ...) - - I’m recording stuff by myself in my small home studio.
Since I do stuff in my Akai MPC Live I’m looking for a recording solution that allows me to sync the Akai with the recorder. end quote.

Seriously?
You're not considering a working VS recorder and not considering a "computer" daw (I mean, the VS is a computer, too) - -
What other choices do you have that will record multi-track for overdubs (since you're working by yourself and I assume that means you want to overdub multiple instruments/voices/noises alongside your sampler)?

You need to sync via midi, so your solution must include either a machine that has midi sync capability, or use some sort of midi sync converter to whatever sync your non-midi machine would have - right?

I would think that's your primary objective and the main feature your other-than-daw solution must have.

What else is there, beside the VS as a standalone machine that isn't a standard computer daw? You could get a Boss version, which is Roland, or you can get one of a handful of out of production other brand standalones that are basically the same thing a VS is, and likely with fewer features than all but the lowest level VS. Or you can go analog tape, if you can work out the sync connection.

There are no other options.

Frankly and personally, I think your best non-VS option is to use any older generation laptop or desktop pc that has Windows XP, or 7, or a mac equivalent and USB2 for audio/midi interface and external burner and hard drive.

Connect a simple 2-channel usb interface with midi to it, strip it of all the unnecessary software cludge you think you can do without, tweak the major settings people commonly adjust for audio (lists of which are readily available on the web), install Reaper (for minimal cost), max out the ram and use a 2 hard drive system (wherever possible) to keep the data storage separate from the operating system, minimize your use of wireless network and keep it off the internet and you've got a great digital multi-track solution. That can easily be as reliable and more flexible than any VS, or other standalone daw out there.

#1652335 - 04/09/20 05:24 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: uptildawn]
Logrinn Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks Uptildawn,
I would love to get my hands on a working VS-machine. Unfortunately they’re not very common here in Sweden.
I keep a lookout for any such machine - or similar of another brand - but so far I haven’t had much luck.
I hear what you’re saying about an old computer and while it would probably work technically, there’s the question of workflow. I know myself and have been using computers for years and know that that particular road leads to option paralysis and least amount of creativity. I’m more into a bare bones system of some sort. Alesis HD-24 or similar could be cool, but that would mean an externa mixer, which will be too much for my needs.
But I’ll keep looking for something to show up.

#1652350 - 04/09/20 06:54 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Yeah - the Alesis is a great option. I've known a guy around here who's used one for his project studio for years. He likes it a lot. He mostly records himself - acoustic instruments mostly. You might not need a lot of external mixer, if you can find something small enough to fill your needed channel count.... you just need it for submixing, right? I know budget is a personal thing, but hopefully you could find both units at a lower price than you imagine right now.

My personal relationship with the daw world and option excess is easily curtailed, because I get annoyed really fast by the clutter of plugins I don't use, or no longer work (because of an update, or that lose their authorization for some reason) and plugins that just don't pan out...... so I have a habit of going minimalist and resisting the urge.

#1652870 - 04/13/20 10:51 AM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
gerardus Offline
Space Cadet

same thing for me ..installed cf card but ...no drive
didnt update my roland vs880ex wich i didnt use for more then 10 years...what to do now ...do i have to format the cf card on pc?...

#1652871 - 04/13/20 11:03 AM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: gerardus]
Logrinn Offline
Space Cadet

I’m off to get a new bigger and perhaps more important, a faster CF-card.
Will try to see if that works. Will get back to you.

#1652884 - 04/13/20 02:29 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Update your 880ex.
a faster card won't help... it's not about fast - the original 880ex hard drive is probably only 5400rpm at best.

#1652893 - 04/13/20 04:24 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: uptildawn]
Logrinn Offline
Space Cadet

You're right. The new card I got didn't help. The machine still doesn't see a drive.
Oh, well ... maybe a second hand 2480 or similar will turn up here eventually.

#1653421 - 04/16/20 03:55 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
Raybo Offline
Planeteer

Loc: New York City
Hi there Logrinn,

After all that you described it's likely that you have a power supply problem with your VS880. Great that you updated the os. Now you need to fix the power, which is the most common reason that the old machines die.

I had two non-working machines with the same problem.
This Planeteer fixed them. I think he replaced the transformer, which cost about $20.

fngrstck1

http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=sendprivate&User=15111

If you have a problem finding him, I'll ask him if it's ok to send you his private contact info.Let me know and good luck.

My Website

My Music

#1685904 - 10/12/20 04:38 AM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: Logrinn]
darry Offline
Space Cadet

I know this a late reply but I hope it might help you .

According to my tests, the symptom of being frozen on "Setup IDE" with MIDI/DISK flashing is indicative of an incompatible CF card . I have reproduced it with multiple CF cards (including Sandisk, Kingston and Verbatim ones) .

Strangely enough, two ancient cards, an 8 MB Nikon (made by Sandisk) and a 128MB Verbatim did work, but are obviously too small to be useful .

One still available and usable card that did work was this one . https://www.amazon.ca/Bodawei-Extreme-CompactFlash-Memory-Digital/dp/B07GCNMWX8/

Unfortunately, it is not available in Sweden, However, I suspect similar looking "industrial" branded ones might work and be be worth a try .

See this thread for other potential working alternatives : http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1685417

Best of luck !

#1685987 - 10/12/20 07:56 PM Re: Internal hd fail - update os first or go direct to installing a cf reader? [Re: darry]
Logrinn Offline
Space Cadet

Many thanks for this.
I'll see if I find some other CF-card that might work.
Will of course get back if I happen to get my VS880 to work again.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849695 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.021 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.