Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1665725 - 06/18/20 10:05 AM [Solved] Fader fails to communicate
LoL Bou Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Normandy, France
Hi,

Not done yet on my unit... Fader 12 is having an issue. It is motorized in both directions, but when I set up Input 12, the software doesnt "see" the variations of the fader.

I guess its wiper is shorted to ground, so the read value is zero in all cases, so when i try the "CLEAR" trick, it straight on top because the engine has an "UP" information.

I don't know if this is frequent (search did not come up with such an issue here), but I'll keep updating on this for future reference...

PS: the Fader test fails at Fader 09, although it behaves "normally" as far as i can see. So i don't have feedback on fader 12. I'll look at F9 as well once opened...

Edited by LoL Bou (06/19/20 01:39 PM)

#1665731 - 06/18/20 12:22 PM Re: Fader fails to communicate [Re: LoL Bou]
Catweazle Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Stockholm Sweden
Hello again .

Aaaah ..... The weakest link of Roland VS ... Faders \:\(

Here´s a thread about "Test Mode" and toward the end there´s some
discussion of Faders \:\)

http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1663692#Post1663692

If you don´t know already ....
To enter Test Mode press and hold "Page" and "F1" while turning VS-2480 on.
Keep them knobs down till text shows up in LCD screen.
Test mode does not show up on VGA ... Only LCD

Cheers !

Edited by Catweazle (06/18/20 12:23 PM)

#1665792 - 06/18/20 09:17 PM Re: Fader fails to communicate [Re: Catweazle]
LoL Bou Offline
Space Cadet

I think I have solved the problem. Holding the board vertically, i noticed that the slider was bent, and the slider could rock lateraly.

i had no DC resistance between wiper (pin 2) and pin 1 or pin 3 of the fader.

I desoldered it, opened the tabs maintaining the plastic bottom (in which the carbon tracks are), and found the issue.

Under the slider is a copper spring making contact with both tracks (when you look above your fader, the two carbon tracks are on both sides, what you see is the bare uncarboned material separating these). This spring has two legs, each consisting of 3 hair-thin copper parts gently touching the carbon tracks.

I got a spare leg out of an old and dead Marshall pot, and gently soldered it on the available copper. It looks too long, but the important thing is the actual height of the leg, so that it touches with no excessive pressure on the track.

It's back in now, and tests fine.

I'll mark the post solved once the unit is built back (too late now, it's mistake time!)...

Cheers!

ps: desoldering these faders is a piece of cake : use flux and add some fresh solder, then pump the solder (i used a standard spring-loaded pump). Clean the pads with braid, and you're done.

If many fail, i would really suggest trying to open them all, one at a time, to have a deep clean. It's long and repetitive, but not difficult, and the tabs on the faders are very sturdy and won't break.

ps2. Didn't find anything weird with the faders erroring in the self test. Weird...

#1665933 - 06/19/20 01:40 PM Re: Fader fails to communicate [Re: LoL Bou]
LoL Bou Offline
Space Cadet

Problem solved. Fader moves nicely and goes to OdB when CLEAR.

Cool!

#1665950 - 06/19/20 03:30 PM Re: Fader fails to communicate [Re: LoL Bou]
calypso Offline
Planeteer

Loc: mid-Missouri

two for two!
there is good news in the world

some music here:
soundcloud
bandcamp
spotify

#1666028 - 06/19/20 09:14 PM Re: Fader fails to communicate [Re: calypso]
keeppracticing Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Atlanta
Way to go man!!
#1666158 - 06/20/20 09:12 PM Re: Fader fails to communicate [Re: keeppracticing]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
Wish I didn't have such fear to look under the hood of the 2480 --- Easy for me take apart most gear --but, nothing with 27 different screws & dangling faders \:D

#1666457 - 06/22/20 07:06 PM Re: Fader fails to communicate [Re: C Jo Go]
ulank Offline
Forum Person
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago, IL
 Originally Posted By: C Jo Go
dangling faders

An unpreventable symptom of old age.

#1666599 - 06/23/20 06:23 AM Re: Fader fails to communicate [Re: LoL Bou]
FalconEddy Offline
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Loc: Litchfield, NH, USA
 Originally Posted By: LoL Bou
I think I have solved the problem. Holding the board vertically, i noticed that the slider was bent, and the slider could rock lateraly.

i had no DC resistance between wiper (pin 2) and pin 1 or pin 3 of the fader.

I desoldered it, opened the tabs maintaining the plastic bottom (in which the carbon tracks are), and found the issue.

Under the slider is a copper spring making contact with both tracks (when you look above your fader, the two carbon tracks are on both sides, what you see is the bare uncarboned material separating these). This spring has two legs, each consisting of 3 hair-thin copper parts gently touching the carbon tracks.

I got a spare leg out of an old and dead Marshall pot, and gently soldered it on the available copper. It looks too long, but the important thing is the actual height of the leg, so that it touches with no excessive pressure on the track.

It's back in now, and tests fine.

I'll mark the post solved once the unit is built back (too late now, it's mistake time!)...

Cheers!

ps: desoldering these faders is a piece of cake : use flux and add some fresh solder, then pump the solder (i used a standard spring-loaded pump). Clean the pads with braid, and you're done.

If many fail, i would really suggest trying to open them all, one at a time, to have a deep clean. It's long and repetitive, but not difficult, and the tabs on the faders are very sturdy and won't break.

ps2. Didn't find anything weird with the faders erroring in the self test. Weird...

Based on the nomenclature in your posts, I was fairly confident you would resolve this issue yourself, Lol Bou. Sometimes you simply need to go back to the basics of electronics in order to come up with a resolution., as well as approach the issue from multiple angles...literally. Many people forget this and can stay up in the 7th level of the clouds searching for something they're NEVER going to find.

The nitty-gritty basics takes you to three possibilities:

An Open.

A Short.

A Change of value.

In times such as these, I take no credit for knowing this; I'll simply differ to one of my eighth great-grandfathers, Sir Isaac Newton, who said...

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants."

OUTSTANDING TROUBLESHOOTING, LoL Bou!

If I were still a Senior Director of Global Technology, I would have hired you in a heartbeat for my Quality Assurance Division if you applied here in the States. You have a VERY sharp mind, and know HOW to WORK the problem outside the box. BRAVO!

. . Falcon

#1666609 - 06/23/20 12:46 PM Re: Fader fails to communicate [Re: FalconEddy]
LoL Bou Offline
Space Cadet

Wow, thank you Falcon, that's very kind!

I hope this can be of any help to someone in the future...

Originally Posted By: C Jo Go
Wish I didn't have such fear to look under the hood of the 2480 --- Easy for me take apart most gear --but, nothing with 27 different screws & dangling faders \:D

It really ain't that difficult. Also, check for the threads on the screws. The finer ones are for metal spacers, and for the 3 screws above the SENS knobs. The less-finer ones are for metal sheet. The coarse ones are for plastic. When you screw it back, turn the screw anti-clockwise until it reaches its thread, and screw gently. No force should be required...

I use 1x2 wood block with foam on it, and flipped the unit with the blocks on the sides. I ended up jacking the middle of the unit as well since it's quite flexible when some chassis are removed. Make a sketch for the screws, take pictures... Really, there's not too much connectors, and if you're careful they loosen with no problems.

As for the fader board, it's really easy to get out, but keep in mind that the fader board chassis stays in the unit, since its screws are below the plastic sheet with the track numbers printed on it (and you don't wan't to remove this)?

Edited by LoL Bou (06/23/20 12:56 PM)

#1706139 - 12/31/20 01:01 AM Re: Fader fails to communicate [Re: LoL Bou]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Lithuania
If anyone is interested, you can still buy an volume faders from aliexpress, the same as Panasonic company made. The same is used in the Soundcraft EFX8 , EPM8 and Mackie mixers. The length is 75mm . Stroke 60mm . But without the electric motor mechanism. I wish all good luck . https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32922557...ASACEgJ87fD_BwE

Edited by Voxas (01/03/21 01:39 AM)

#1709850 - 01/15/21 06:33 PM Re: Fader fails to communicate [Re: Voxas]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Lithuania
Additions after two weeks. The faders where I gave the aliexpress link are well suited for soldering to the plate and are of good quality, with dust protection, but ... the problem is that the sliding potentiometer slider "tongue" is too short and there are no holes in the fader edges with a thread to lock the motor driver mechanism. Well, the holes can be drilled and threaded, but with too short fader handles I don't know what to do, 1 cm is still missing. I have to get something to do here...
Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849690 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.028 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.