Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1679486 - 09/08/20 09:52 PM How do I move a track? [VSR-880]
fishheads Offline
Space Cadet

I just want to move a track and it's frustrating.

I have recorded a click track onto Track 4. I want to move it onto Track 8 so that I can use Track 4 for another instrument without unplugging and re-plugging a bunch of cables.

I am very confused by how the owner's manual goes on about virtual tracks and channel link and whatnot ... I just want to move all the sound recorded on 4, to 8, leaving 4 empty. It seems like this is impossible. When I move from 4-1 to 8-1, there is no sound from either Track 4 or Track 8. Then, when I tried again, it wouldn't even let me move to 8-1 but only to 8-2, as if I couldn't overwrite sound. This makes NO sense to me.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Am I misunderstanding what Track Move actually does?

EDIT: THis is for the rackmount Roland VSR 880.

Edited by fishheads (09/08/20 09:52 PM)

#1679493 - 09/08/20 10:12 PM Re: How do I move a track? [VSR-880] [Re: fishheads]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
I haven't tried to work with the rack version of the 880 before and it may be a bit different than what I was used to with the 880 and I'm sure it's visually much different than the 1680 - which I am most comfortable using.

But a suggestion - If track 8 is otherwise empty and if it unlinked from track 7 (in case the vsr treats 7/8 as a stereo pair), you might try using Track Exchange instead of track move.
Exchange will swap the entire timewise length of the track with the destination track. Sometimes this is just easier than defining the specific time points for a track move process.

If 7/8 are linked, then try unlinking them first - or if you can't unlink them, then you might just exchange the pair with the 3/4 pair (3 being left and 4 being right). If there's something on 3 already that you want to keep there, then try moving or copying, or exchanging it with track 5 maybe...... or put it on a virtual layer for safekeeping and then put it back when you're finished dealing with 3/4 to 7/8. That layer process can easily be accomplished using track exchange too - in fact, very simply so.

#1679614 - 09/09/20 01:45 PM Re: How do I move a track? [VSR-880] [Re: uptildawn]
gyorpb Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: fishheads
Am I misunderstanding what Track Move actually does?
Yes. You want “Track Exchange”.

Owner’s manual, page 93. (Well, actually, it’s page 92, but the process description starts on 93.)

#1679880 - 09/10/20 09:15 PM Re: How do I move a track? [VSR-880] [Re: fishheads]
roland880vsrhd Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: fishheads
I just want to move a track and it's frustrating.

I have recorded a click track onto Track 4. I want to move it onto Track 8 so that I can use Track 4 for another instrument without unplugging and re-plugging a bunch of cables.

I am very confused by how the owner's manual goes on about virtual tracks and channel link and whatnot ... I just want to move all the sound recorded on 4, to 8, leaving 4 empty. It seems like this is impossible. When I move from 4-1 to 8-1, there is no sound from either Track 4 or Track 8. Then, when I tried again, it wouldn't even let me move to 8-1 but only to 8-2, as if I couldn't overwrite sound. This makes NO sense to me.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Am I misunderstanding what Track Move actually does?

EDIT: THis is for the rackmount Roland VSR 880.

Track exchange will work for you as stated above.
However, in your post you stated you could not get a track moved onto ch8 v1 on the second attempt. Do you have channel link “on”? If so turn it off.
Then retry the move again and be sure to use the time/value dial to set your start and end times on ch4 v1 as well as the start time for the track you are moving onto ch8 v1. Page 91 of the owners manual has the step by step instructions.
This also could be as simple as something like not having the status button for ch8 v1 lit up green in which case you would get no sound during playback. Sounds like you are close on this and it’s probably just a simple input that needs to happen. I’ve used track move many times and it definitely took a few times to get in down.

#1679896 - 09/10/20 10:28 PM Re: How do I move a track? [VSR-880] [Re: gyorpb]
fishheads Offline
Space Cadet

OK, I see that Track Exchange seems better than Track Move for this purpose. But I still don't understand how to move TRACKS rather than V-TRACKS. The manual only describes exchanging virtual tracks of which I have none. How do I move regular recorded tracks?

EDIT: thru fiddling with the Track options for a while, I have figured out the problem. What happened was I couldn't move anything to Track 8-1 during the Track Exchange operation because it was already selected. So when I tried to move to track 8 it only let me select 8-2. Now that I have succesfully learned how to un-select the track I want to exchange (wow, that was a little more complicated than it needs to be) I could select Exchange 4-1 and 8-1 which is what I was trying to accomplish. I also didn't understand virtual tracks as a concept and now realize that 8-1 is the "default" track (rather than 8-0) and not a virtual track ...

Thanks for all the replies.

Edited by fishheads (09/10/20 11:54 PM)

#1679916 - 09/11/20 12:59 AM Re: How do I move a track? [VSR-880] [Re: fishheads]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Cool that it sounds like you're getting the hang of things track-edit related. For me personally, I just view all the tracks and their layers as being a big matrix of layers 1-16, including the default layer 1.

In exploring the track exchange option (and even track move and track copy to a degree), you will find it's very easy to do repetitive moves like for instance recording a guitar solo take to channel 4, layer 1 and then exchanging or moving it to channel 8, layer 2 (so it's not actively playing) and then with each new take of the solo (to achieve the perfect take, or composite later on), moving it to the next available layer on ch. 8/L-3, then ch-8/L-4, etc., etc.

The end result is that each take is perfectly in timeline sync, so that comping together a final take (say to ch-2, guitar channel) becomes a very quick and painless task, using track copy or move and defining specific moments of each take in the process.

Anyway, great that you got it going now.

Oops! So sorry, I was thinking in 1680 terms and the larger lcd display. It may take a bit more head scratching and careful attention to what choices you make with the less-visual display of the 880.....

Edited by uptildawn (09/11/20 01:02 AM)

#1681311 - 09/19/20 05:12 AM Re: How do I move a track? [VSR-880] [Re: uptildawn]
Raybo Offline
Planeteer

Loc: New York City
Uptildawn got it right and I'll add —-

1. Think of the track functions — copy, paste, move, cut, erase, etc — as WORD PROCESSING.
It's really very similar. You can take a whole track, or a phrase, like a paragraph, a section, even a breath ——- isolate it with LOCATE buttons to move it around.
Further — In order to use the power of 64 tracks, and hear more than 8 tracks at a time, you need to SUB-MIX. I keep a record of everything I do, all tracks and submixes, by saving SCENES.

2. You probably need to use a written track sheet to see clearly where all your tracks are. There should be a blank track sheet at the end of your manual. Keep it as a master and make photocopy blanks. Use one for each project. I made my own version, just a big grid of 64 boxes. If you need one let me know.

Personally I never use exchange. For me, copy/paste, move, cut, erase are more useful. SCENES are very important to understand. For instance, record a rhythm section: drums in stereo, piano in stereo, guitar, and bass. That's SIX tracks, 1.1-1.6 right? Mix it to two open tracks, 1.7 and 1.8. Save it as SCENE 1. Change to empty virtual tracks 2.1 thru 2.6 to record strings and vocals etc and play along with your first submix 1.7 and 1.8. Save it as SCENE 2. You realize the piano in the rhythm section is too loud. Go back in the process. Open Scene 1 and re-mix. Go to Scene 2 and there are your new 2.-2.6 tracks, and voila the piano is better in 1.7/1.8. Go on like this and you can use all 64 tracks, that is if you have a lot to say…

It takes practice to learn to navigate the buttons. But it's a wonderful machine, doing almost everything that is done in modern programs.

My Website

My Music

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159766 Topics
1849756 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.