Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1681384 - 09/19/20 10:50 PM Recording is not really fun for me.
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Walmartville
In this case I'm trying to rerecord a really old demo and getting it to where it really needed to be requires such concentration it's ridiculous. Am I supposedly doing this for pleasure?

#1681400 - 09/19/20 11:50 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: AL]
FatherApe Offline
Planeteer

You have our permission to stop
#1681403 - 09/20/20 12:12 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: FatherApe]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

I agree that it can be either exhausting and/or nerveracking to get some things done in the stooge. It's not always "fun". And occasionally it's just a downright nuisance. Particularly when you're trying to nail a part and it just ain't happening.

#1681404 - 09/20/20 12:15 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: FatherApe]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: FatherApe
You have our permission to stop

When I saw your name on this thread I knew I shouldn't bother to look. It must be easy for someone who has next to no songs to speak of to chime in with lame shit, and do it claiming you're speaking for everyone. Maybe you are, I don't give a fuck, but why don't you just die already?

#1681405 - 09/20/20 12:18 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: AL]
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
I'm with FatherApe. The sooner you stop, and being Trumplike, the better for all of us.

#1681409 - 09/20/20 12:32 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Mooseboy]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

ah go cover Journey or something, you insubstantial dunce.

#1681411 - 09/20/20 12:35 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: AL]
SkyWave Offline
Planeteer

I sympathize.

It would be nice to have a recording engineer do all that work, so that I could just play music.

#1681414 - 09/20/20 12:53 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: SkyWave]
WRC,Jr. Online   content
Planeteer

Loc: San Antonio
Father ape is the asshole

Moose boy is the asshole

Keep at it Al.

My Albums

#1681416 - 09/20/20 01:01 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: WRC,Jr.]
jimmyrock Offline
Department Head of Redundancy Department Head
Planeteer

Loc: America's File Cabinet
I like recording but I hate making a fucking drum track and as that’s the first step for me not much going on....my new mentality is I’m not making a radio ready tune, just a decent demo in case the band wants to work it up ( they don’t \:\) )
#1681417 - 09/20/20 01:10 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: jimmyrock]
Marty Gilman Offline
Official Planet Sax Monster - Planeteer/Artist # 117
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Palm Beach, Florida- U S A
The better you are prepared, the easier the recording is.

Prepared means the arrangement, the performance, the recording techniques/skills.

My problem is that I am hyper-critical of myself. I am not so much with others.

Not fun? take a break. I did for 4 years.

-m

#1681418 - 09/20/20 01:14 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: WRC,Jr.]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Loc: California
There's a point where it's better to turn it over to someone who regularly records and actually enjoys it. It's not easy wearing all the hats and the process stands in between creativity and product. But, in this current environment things are tough to get done online only. And, if someone is not willing to be produced or unable to accept criticism, they're most likely destined to keep outputting same-level product.
That being said, self producing is hard. Recording is hard. Writing is hard. Performing is too. Being in a hurry conflicts with results. There's always a level of settling, regardless of where you are on the food chain.

An important point to make is ...
This is music, it's meant to be listened to. We want to be intrigued by the lyrics, melody and chords but without ignoring aesthetic listening qualities too. And yes, only having those gets you no brownie points either. It's hard to listen through a less than mediocre recording and performance to fully appreciate the song.

"I love what you guys are trying to do up there" ...from an audience member at one of my gigs.
Gear: Fender Medium pick

#1681420 - 09/20/20 01:43 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: motown59]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
I love recording -- have since I started in the early 70's ... That's my main stay now ... the photography biz has passed me by.

recording tonight -- bass and some rhythms tracks..

You can only do so much with our DAW --so it makes it very easy to fly through the process ...

Always think of those early bands --recording in a just 2 hours ..

The less fun > it starts to be come with a client -- the more I start charging \:p

Some are much more hypercritical than me -- and it reflects in their final bill

Edited by C Jo Go (09/20/20 01:44 AM)

#1681421 - 09/20/20 01:56 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: jimmyrock]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
 Originally Posted By: jimmyrock
I like recording but I hate making a fucking drum track and as that’s the first step for me not much going on....my new mentality is I’m not making a radio ready tune, just a decent demo in case the band wants to work it up ( they don’t \:\) )

Still put the drums on ~~ later down the process -- but > being a drummer first -- it makes it much easier...to do as a post factor.

~~~~ Drum machines went out in the 80's ~ for us D

Nothing "radio-ready" here ... My clients don't even listen to the radio just sit around and spin old vinyl from the 60's.

So much simpler to produce clients -- that are well into their 60's > I only have trouble with those youngsters under 55 \:o

Our gear has to fit your style ---

Edited by C Jo Go (09/21/20 04:53 PM)

#1681422 - 09/20/20 02:27 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: WRC,Jr.]
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
 Originally Posted By: WRC,Jr.

Moose boy is the asshole

Keep at it Al.
Let's see… Father Ape has never been banned. Mooseboy has never been banned. Scott has been banned two or three times (I'll bet even you have lost count.)

You seem to idolize self-aggrandizing snowflake assholes. My guess is that you will vote for Trump, Bill.

#1681429 - 09/20/20 03:50 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Mooseboy]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico ...
Recording is a nuisance. I much prefer other engineers behind the boards. However, when I’m working with software instruments then recording is a combination of the active capturing the performances, editing which is a part of arranging and mixing… And all three of those are different levels of thrilling to me. It blows me away how good I can be at that stuff sometimes. Most of the time if I have to do a tight edit, I get it right the first time just from eyeballing it. It’s like my mind becomes One with the track. Sometimes my edits are so good that I don’t even need to Crossfade them.

That stuff please just me. Playing a software instrument, and then listening back and editing notes that clash with previous tracks is a real privilege that was never available to our heroes. I have to mix a song 20 to 30 times To squeeze every last idea out of it. For example, I’ve been on mix 15 for a couple of days of one new song. I thought it was perfect. But today I realize that I would rather have two condos/instead of one and this one crucial part of the song. So I will do that. And then I will listen and listen and then I will realize there’s one other little tweak I’d like to make. It’s just the way that I work.

#1681431 - 09/20/20 04:10 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Jazzooo]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Jazzooo, yeah I've been at that place, where i keep going back and fixing one thing, then another, and so on.

jimmyrock, writing drum parts hasn't been an obstacle for me of late, i've done so much of it, it usually comes easy, especially since I figured out that simple is the key. I did once buy an Alesis drum machine which sounded real good but I found it user-unfriendly, it stalled me out for around a year til I bought another brand of machine which completely freed me of my funk.

Marty you speak of preparation, that's actually what I was frustrated about today. When I was preparing the arrangement for the song I was working on, I ended up putting too much space before the last verse, and too little space before the ending. I had practically finished the tracks when i realized I couldn't live with the choices I made and it was difficult to make it right.

motown, it's somewhat easier that I have a band of quality players now, but still there are obstacles in how I need to present it to them, that does get a little easier over time.

#1681432 - 09/20/20 04:14 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Jazzooo]
Timster Offline
Artist #'s - 130, 298, 412
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Center of the Universe
Here is what I like to do. Record 2 to 3 tracks for someones elses song. Send them to them and let them use what they want.

https://soundcloud.com/tim-jensrud/tracks

#1681434 - 09/20/20 04:17 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: AL]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Mooseboy, this thing where you think my bannings allow you to in some way cancel me and everything I do, well, in different times and circumstances, different forums, your foul mouth could've very easily gotten you banned in numerous places I've posted in, anyway. Probably some of the Planet admins who banned me had mixed feelings at the time they did it. I know that one time one of the admins actually encouraged me to come back under a different name. but it's really all circumstances, if you think you're in some way too special to ever get banned from anywhere, you're kidding yourself. One time I was prebanned from a site before i ever joined it, on reputation alone. oh well, I've said some shit. Sue me.

#1681459 - 09/20/20 03:15 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: AL]
FalconEddy Offline
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Loc: Litchfield, NH, USA
I really enjoy recording, and miss it a lot.

For the most part, I haven't recorded myself performing a tune with full band backed multi-tracked instruments in quite a while.

Solo piano, pipe organ, mostly; and a couple of string quartet selections.

Drum tracks were the most challenging at first, but that learning curve changed fairly quickly after plenty of exposure to the software, as well as hands-on usage.

Mixing is great since you need to use an open mind, good technical chops, and realize that you can also SUBTRACT EQ just as easily as you can add it.

. . Falcon

#1681461 - 09/20/20 03:42 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: FalconEddy]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
how do YOU make music that isnt “recording”? Doesn't that mean, you just don't have fun making music?
#1681463 - 09/20/20 04:01 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Popmann]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
It's not for everybody, Al, and that's ok. You're a writer and that's what you like to do. As has been said here, if someone else could take over engineering duties that might help. Still, there are times when you can get frustrated/aggravated getting a take you want, etc. If/when that happens it is often best to take a break or maybe move onto something else, especially if you're creating during the recording process and it affects your creative flow. In all, you having a real band now has helped your music a lot....and hopefully they inspire you and make things easier/flow better.....good band mates usually do. In any case, we're all different and work best in our own ways, so your perspective is not usual at all; I'm sure many songwriters feel the same way.

As for the pleasure aspect, that comes when you've finished a project/song and listen to the finished product.

Peace and good luck on your projects.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1681465 - 09/20/20 04:03 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: WRC,Jr.]
Infinitymobile Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Kansas City

Moose boy is the asshole

Keep at it Al.
Agreed!!

My name is Thad Scott

http://www.infinitymobilerecording.com

MAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOMES!!!!!!!!

#1681468 - 09/20/20 04:10 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Popmann]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Popmann
how do YOU make music that isnt “recording”? Doesn't that mean, you just don't have fun making music?

I write it without recording it.

#1681470 - 09/20/20 04:20 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: AL]
Infinitymobile Offline
Planeteer

I absolutely LOVE the recording process. Like I have said before, I don't even really consider myself a musician.....I am a hobby guitarist at best. But I love music so becoming an engineer allowed me to become part of the creative process since my musical skills and knowledge of arrangement are so limited. I haven't recorded a song since 2014......and I really miss it and wish I could get inspired to do it again.

My name is Thad Scott

#1681473 - 09/20/20 04:32 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Infinitymobile]
Heartwaves Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Georgia or somewhere in the k...
Recording to me is the best part. Getting bogged down with something I don't play well isn't fun though. To not get angry & frustrated by this, I'll record a "scratch" part and then go onto the creative, more fun parts. Sometimes the scratch part works, sometimes not but at least I don't lie in stuck land.

#1681474 - 09/20/20 04:33 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Infinitymobile]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Infinitymobile
But I love music so becoming an engineer allowed me to become part of the creative process since my musical skills and knowledge of arrangement are so limited.

Have you been doing any of that? Of just sort of dormant all together recently?

#1681485 - 09/20/20 05:35 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: AL]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Al

But, that's not making music-this thing you call "writing". This song you're struggling with....that's frustrating you with wrong amounts of "space left".....you can sit and play that end to end on your guitar or piano while you sing it? If so--you need better tech. If not, then again--you're never making music outside recording.

#1681487 - 09/20/20 05:58 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Popmann]
Tao Jones Offline
Planeteer

Loc: CA
You have Neg Ten to do most of the tricky stuff now, and the engineering is great, you even get real drums.

The burden of your roll in recording is less by a factor of ten, and the increase in production quality is large. So, you’re moving the right direction. You also could just play them the song on guitar and let them do all the starting track decisions.

I’m guessing you want more control than that.

I don’t understand Pop’s point. A person who just writes songs is making music every time they play or even think through their music. Anyone that starts making musical sounds is making music.

Mooseboy has always been as aggressive as anyone on this site ever gets.

#1681492 - 09/20/20 06:46 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Webster]
Infinitymobile Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Webster
 Originally Posted By: Infinitymobile
But I love music so becoming an engineer allowed me to become part of the creative process since my musical skills and knowledge of arrangement are so limited.

Have you been doing any of that? Of just sort of dormant all together recently?
Completely dormant. \:\(

My name is Thad Scott

#1681518 - 09/21/20 01:12 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Mooseboy]
WRC,Jr. Online   content
Planeteer

Loc: San Antonio
 Originally Posted By: Mooseboy

Moose boy is the asshole

Keep at it Al.
Let's see… Father Ape has never been banned. Mooseboy has never been banned. Scott has been banned two or three times (I'll bet even you have lost count.)

You seem to idolize self-aggrandizing snowflake assholes. My guess is that you will vote for Trump, Bill.

Fuck you doug. You are a worthless piece of subhuman shit.

Edited by WRC,Jr. (09/21/20 01:14 AM)

My Albums

#1681524 - 09/21/20 01:56 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Popmann]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Al

But, that's not making music-this thing you call "writing". This song you're struggling with....that's frustrating you with wrong amounts of "space left".....you can sit and play that end to end on your guitar or piano while you sing it? If so--you need better tech. If not, then again--you're never making music outside recording.

Maybe that's why you don't get me. This thing I call "writing"???

that's what this is all about for me. Birthing the songs. Writing the parts that go with the songs.

#1681525 - 09/21/20 01:59 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Tao Jones]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Tao Jones
You have Neg Ten to do most of the tricky stuff now, and the engineering is great, you even get real drums.

The burden of your roll in recording is less by a factor of ten, and the increase in production quality is large. So, you’re moving the right direction. You also could just play them the song on guitar and let them do all the starting track decisions.

I’m guessing you want more control than that.

I don’t understand Pop’s point. A person who just writes songs is making music every time they play or even think through their music. Anyone that starts making musical sounds is making music.

Mooseboy has always been as aggressive as anyone on this site ever gets.

well working with Neg Ten is a little tricky. I would love to just hand them an old demo and have them recreate it, but that doesn't seem to flow for them. It seems to only work smoothly if I give them finished tracks and they add their parts.

#1681538 - 09/21/20 03:24 AM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: AL]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

"Writing the parts that go with the song"

....is not songwriting. THAT is why you don't "get me". That's what I love. Arguably....more than any other aspect of music making. See, we're the same. \:\)

You're considering everything you record "writing". But, you hate that-recording, that is. But that's what you love--writing all the parts? So, I'm back to "get the right TECH for your process". Which is why I even got involved....This leaving too much "space"...is handled with a few clicks in any DAW from the last 20 years. Though, honestly--you also don't DO that--mapping out how many bars here and there. Just play the song into the DAW....move on. That's a hold over from 90s drum machine programming. Or maybe if people used stand alone midi sequencers of the same era.

I'm just going to point out that I can just play a song into my iPad and have it map my human tempo....and play drums along....and then if I put in the key and chord changes, it will let me play shit with "smart instruments"--which is basically--playing bass or piano swiping your finger around for someone who can't play either. GarageBandX. $5.

#1681574 - 09/21/20 03:48 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Popmann]
Marty Gilman Offline
Official Planet Sax Monster - Planeteer/Artist # 117
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Palm Beach, Florida- U S A
I find that I always record in "spurts", never continuously.
I've done 3 albums in the last 5 years, taking 6 months to a year and a half before doing the next. It is a big committment!

Also, depends on the reason for your recordings. Is it just a memory catcher of ideas,
is it for a finished product, it is a demo, is it an opportunity to collaborate, etc.

In 2009 I sold all my recording gear. I was done, I thought. In 2014, a year after moving to Florida, I bought the next generation (for me) studio, with the purpose of recording with my new Florida musican friends, some of whom are just monsters. It was a great accomplishment.

-m

#1681577 - 09/21/20 03:59 PM Re: Recording is not really fun for me. [Re: Marty Gilman]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: SL.UT
i've learned to love recording.
first, out of necessity,
now, out of respect for the time i've put in to get really fkin good at it.

if i didn't have fun doing, i'd quit.

life is too short to spend time on stuff you don't like.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159757 Topics
1849662 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.017 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.