Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1693980 - 11/28/20 02:10 AM Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things?
flatcat Administrator Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Westborough, MA, USA
I used some of my IK Multimedia points and got their B3 emulation licensed by Hammond for about $80.

I am looking at more modern and serious orchestral libraries. I'm not really sure why. I have this ambition to work on some of the other ideas I have, and they are ... classical? film-scorey? Some of the newer ones are incredible sounding. The Berlin Orchestra ones, all the offerings from Spitfire Audio, they sound really good.

But I have a virtual orchestra and haven't really used it a whole lot, so ...

I also like the GUIs for them, they seem more intuitive and easier to set up and use.

In the meantime, I'm so enjoying that Hammond B-3X. I took screen shots of all the presets of the NI one and have already added a couple of new presets based on those. I am so looking forward to getting my big keyboard so I can try more things.

Professor Truth T. Sweetness says,"Mind your manners!"

#1693985 - 11/28/20 02:30 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: flatcat]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
FLAT are those orchestral libraries available through REAPER -- OR are they a standalone ( where I could connect my MIDI keyboard and play ) ??

#1693986 - 11/28/20 02:35 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: C Jo Go]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Like the orchestration on this one ...my style

Edited by C Jo Go (11/28/20 03:12 AM)

#1693990 - 11/28/20 03:07 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: C Jo Go]
Loquacious Planeteer

Looks like you can use many of them either way. You can use them as a standalone application or you can use it as a plug in within Reaper. You may need a player - like Kontakt or SampleTank, and some other ones have their own or use different ones.

I am looking hard at the Spitfire Audio ones.

#1693992 - 11/28/20 03:11 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: flatcat]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Thanks FLAT -- will check into SPITFIRE ... just want to be able to play the sample -- and record direct to the VS 2480 ~!

Get looping problems with our setup to REAPER ( its only a mastering /rendering app for us )

Edited by C Jo Go (11/28/20 03:32 AM)

#1693998 - 11/28/20 03:37 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: C Jo Go]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Just testing :: the strings do not seem that superior to the Kurzweil --- but will download and find a way to get them into the Roland ...

#1694004 - 11/28/20 04:51 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: C Jo Go]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
I bought the TonyHawk remake video game....but, music stuff? Orange Tree samples has a sale running and they excluded the only thing they make that I want—the Famous E Rhodes....mostly there’s not much exciting to me. I mean Spitfire probably has a nice sale going, but the stuff I want is pricey enough that its not a casual buy even on sale....

I briefly looked at a new 4k LED monitor for the studio computer-sort of doubling down on that just being “my personal computer” for a while—rather than just a studio computer as the Macbook is getting to where its malfunctioning....and at 8 years young....eh....not putting money into it. Everything is just easier on the Windows tower anyway.

#1694005 - 11/28/20 04:54 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Popmann]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Wish I needed something --- AND I wish the local vet had a Black Friday --- Gejuz >> pets are way expensive in the town ...

Edited by C Jo Go (11/28/20 04:58 AM)

#1694006 - 11/28/20 05:42 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: C Jo Go]
Timster Offline
Artist #'s - 130, 298, 412
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Center of the Universe
Looking at a Jangle box, ditto looper or danelectro back talk.

Their is a Gretach that I need to go ob sale.

https://soundcloud.com/tim-jensrud/tracks

#1694014 - 11/28/20 08:47 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Timster]
The Vampire Lestat Offline
Planeteer

I bought a few plug-ins, but I quickly regretted it. It seems that my computer does not support the latest versions, so I have to install a different installation tool...basically, this is going to cost frustration. Hopefully, I didn't just screw up my DAW!
#1694018 - 11/28/20 12:15 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: The Vampire Lestat]
jimmyrock Offline
Department Head of Redundancy Department Head
Planeteer

Loc: America's File Cabinet
I bought Corel video Studio for some light duty video editing, was ~ $35
#1694021 - 11/28/20 01:20 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: jimmyrock]
kendall Offline
Planeteer

Loc: amsterdam, netherlands
The toothpaste we use was 2+3, meaning get 5 for the price of 2. Good deal.

Just in...

An offer for a free iPad Pro, if we only register and pay €1 handling charge.
Not a good deal. And, why did they need my mother’s maiden name?

An offer for a free high end air fryer if we just write our opinion of it. Declined also.

#1694024 - 11/28/20 01:54 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: kendall]
Marty Gilman Online   content
Official Planet Sax Monster - Planeteer/Artist # 117
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Palm Beach, Florida- U S A
Maybe a soundbar for my TV? looking.............

-m

#1694027 - 11/28/20 02:41 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Marty Gilman]
Vanillagrits Offline
Planeteer

Thinking of getting a dedicated Amp for the Fender.
My EA amp is very hi-fi and great on upright but kind of blah for Fender. I have a cheap little Peavy Mini Max as a spare that just died (typical Peavy) that really made the electric come alive and cut through the mix.

My ultimate wish is an Ampeg SVT and I'm trying to decide whether to just go for it or settle for this: https://ampeg.com/products/portaflex/pf-800/

I love, love, love the SVT but I don't know about an 80 pound amp head.

Either one is a better voicing for Fender bass than the EA.

#1694030 - 11/28/20 03:11 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Vanillagrits]
Liquidirt Offline
Planet Dirtball
Planeteer

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Got some more Ezxpansion packs. The Rock Solid was the best deal.

#1694033 - 11/28/20 03:25 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Vanillagrits]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Im sorry, did Cjo just say that Spitfire strings dont sound “that much better” than the early 90s ROMpler?

Problem identified.

Listen to these. Maybe youre listening to symphonic stuff.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/spitfire-solo-cello/

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/spitfire-studio-strings-professional/

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/spitfire-chamber-strings-professional/

Its not ONLY good vs bad....flexible vs static....its that you have NOTHING appropriate for pop music, where smaller ensembles make up Im gonna say 95% of all pop/rock records’ strings. I agree theres LESS sonic difference in huge ensembles....unless youre mocking up a John Williams score....thats not that relevant....

#1694039 - 11/28/20 03:49 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Marty Gilman]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Marty Gilman
Maybe a soundbar for my TV? looking.............

-m

We bought one just recently that was made to make the audio more clear and intelligible. We love it.

Our big smart TV is great - but the audio is awful.

#1694044 - 11/28/20 04:10 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Webster]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Loc: California
I don't need anything really. There are always kitchen or camping toys/gadgets but some of those are for Santa to get me

Music stuff,
I'm tempted to get plugins, not because I need them. $29, c'mon, there's gotta be something, how about an Aphex exciter, SSL E strip, j37 tape machine. Wait, I get a "free" one after three.... I would love a pair of the really nice Shure headphones since I work a lot with phones. Electro- harmonix pedals are always intriguing. A little midi USB keyboard controller would be nice

"I love what you guys are trying to do up there" ...from an audience member at one of my gigs.
Gear: Fender Medium pick

#1694054 - 11/28/20 05:06 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: motown59]
The Vampire Lestat Offline
Planeteer

I completely regret buying my new plugins. I had to download an offline installer. Two of the free plugins won't run on my older machine. (One was completely free. I should have checked the other one.) It all works now, but this was the first time that my Macbook has ever locked up. I had to force a shutdown. It was completely stable, and I should have left it that way!
#1694057 - 11/28/20 05:41 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: The Vampire Lestat]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I have to say--I use that Aphex more than I ever thought I would.

Running it on a parallel aux...if something needs to be "opened up"--I'd just send it through that before adding EQ...if you'd told me based on my use of (solid state) Aphex units in the 80s/90s that I'd be using that in digital, I'd not have believed you. I didn't even know the original rental units were tube based.

#1694058 - 11/28/20 05:43 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: The Vampire Lestat]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: The Vampire Lestat
I completely regret buying my new plugins. I had to download an offline installer. Two of the free plugins won't run on my older machine. (One was completely free. I should have checked the other one.) It all works now, but this was the first time that my Macbook has ever locked up. I had to force a shutdown. It was completely stable, and I should have left it that way!

We have not ventured past the 2 free TDR plugs -- took some time to navigate them into REAPER correctly ,,, but now all is stable. Thats it for us ... Still reach for reliable rack mount effects ..

#1694059 - 11/28/20 05:52 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Popmann]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Popmann
Im sorry, did Cjo just say that Spitfire strings dont sound “that much better” than the early 90s ROMpler?

Problem identified.

Listen to these. Maybe youre listening to symphonic stuff.

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/spitfire-solo-cello/

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/spitfire-studio-strings-professional/

https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a-z/spitfire-chamber-strings-professional/

Its not ONLY good vs bad....flexible vs static....its that you have NOTHING appropriate for pop music, where smaller ensembles make up Im gonna say 95% of all pop/rock records’ strings. I agree theres LESS sonic difference in huge ensembles....unless youre mocking up a John Williams score....thats not that relevant....

My second engineer sent me a note " loaded the free Spitfire BBC orchestra Program into reaper a while back and used my USB midi keyboard to program and record. It seemed cool. But I haven't messed with it in a while... it took me a while to figure it out but not that hard."

SO he is willing to help clear a path to the ROLAND VS .. Guessing all my K2600 controllers will not "talk" to the Spitfire via MIDI ?? Part of the realism with the KURZ = is the ribbon and wheels ..

SPITFIRE having a Black Friday special

BBC Symphony Orchestra Discover out of your budget ? sign up for free download

Edited by C Jo Go (11/28/20 05:57 PM)

#1694061 - 11/28/20 06:09 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: C Jo Go]
HARDDRlVER Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Austin TX.
How does Spitfire compare to soundsonlie.com? They have quite a selection. Some of their single piano samples are more than 60GB download.

Asking for a friend...since learning I have multiple personality disorder.

#1694062 - 11/28/20 06:10 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: HARDDRlVER]
Marty Gilman Online   content
Official Planet Sax Monster - Planeteer/Artist # 117
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Palm Beach, Florida- U S A
Got a toaster for half price in Target this morning. Wonder how it will sound in the mix.

Webster, what brand of soundbar?

I was looking at ZVox,specially geared to those of us "of age."

m

#1694064 - 11/28/20 06:19 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Marty Gilman]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

MARTY ::

Using a Polk Audio MagniFi MAX w/Sub Soundbar for the office -- great quality . Handles dual PC's I/O [img]
[/img]

Living room is a monster dual ported 45lb Yamaha sub ( for their E drum setup ) & AR+Sound for the top end ..wife enjoys that bigger sound

Edited by C Jo Go (11/28/20 06:24 PM)

#1694066 - 11/28/20 06:24 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Marty Gilman]
ulank Offline
Forum Person
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago, IL
Nothing.

I despise the consumerism of this holiday time.

I have zero itch for "stuff."

Good food and booze and pump money into house repair and upgrades.

I gave up on Christmas lights years ago because you buy em and within two years they're dead. What a fucking waste of materials and money. Sure, I guess they look nice, but I'll leave that up to everyone else.

And when I see those commercials with McD's giving away a free PS5 and people are literally hugging the thing...I almost puke.

Just. No, for me.

Happy Holidays!

#1694082 - 11/28/20 08:12 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: HARDDRlVER]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: HARDDRlVER
How does Spitfire compare to soundsonlie.com? They have quite a selection. Some of their single piano samples are more than 60GB download.

Asking for a friend...since learning I have multiple personality disorder.

Not close. Those east west (except the hollywood line) are twenty years old. And they all HUGE orchestral sections. I mean if you mean versus the spitfire UUUge sections, ehh-less lesser.

VSL is the competition for Spitfire (actually visa versa:in time)....i think the NI Session String Pro (and only pro) is the cheap decent small section samples. They regularly put it on sale for $150 or so....

#1694083 - 11/28/20 08:15 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: ulank]
Stuart Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Upper Right Hand Coast
I did spring for Ozone 9 and considering IK Multimedia.. Micro monitors ..although I have several monitors already..

"Not all who wander are lost"
~J.R.R. Tolkien

PEGSTONE @ IAC
Barnacles & Stone

"Never Ever make meatloaf when you're stoned" ~ Stu & Lisa
"Sticks & Stones may hide my bones as life will soon desert me" - Barnacled Bill
"There's always room for cello!" ~ Barnacled Bill

#1694090 - 11/28/20 08:41 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Stuart]
Stuart Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Upper Right Hand Coast
There is also Infected Mushroom apps that intrigue the fuk outta me.. Infected Mushroom apps as their albums are are aural sex IMO

"Not all who wander are lost"
~J.R.R. Tolkien

PEGSTONE @ IAC
Barnacles & Stone

"Never Ever make meatloaf when you're stoned" ~ Stu & Lisa
"Sticks & Stones may hide my bones as life will soon desert me" - Barnacled Bill
"There's always room for cello!" ~ Barnacled Bill

#1694124 - 11/28/20 11:10 PM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Stuart]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

I did spring for a TC Electronic D2 digital delay .. But I sold a TC rack to compensate ;\)

Always sell something -- before I purchase another ;\)

#1694148 - 11/29/20 12:50 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: C Jo Go]
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
I just bought a nice Mackie USB mic for Mrs. Moose because she does a LOT of Zoom presos and meetings.

Basically, she found Zoom for our local school district five years ago. So she's rather ahead of her time. Only made one bad decision in her life…

…and I'll leave that to smelly to explain.

Also looking for a nicer USB webcam, shopping B&H for that.

#1694152 - 11/29/20 01:04 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Mooseboy]
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Looking to shed stuff, reel to reels, keyboards, amps etc.

#1694156 - 11/29/20 01:52 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Ismellelephant]
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
AHEM!!!!!
 Quote:
(Mrs. Moose) Only made one bad decision in her life…

…and I'll leave that to smelly to explain.
That's your cue, dummy.

#1694157 - 11/29/20 02:00 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Mooseboy]
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Which dummy?

#1694162 - 11/29/20 02:50 AM Re: Anyone springing for Black Friday or Cyber Monday things? [Re: Ismellelephant]
Loquacious Planeteer

I pulled the trigger on BBC Symphony Orchestra Core. One of the things I've noticed is that a lot of the orchestral libraries have, as Jamie says, this "Uuge" sound, for like the Marvel movie soundtracks and all that. That all had to come from someplace - like a regular symphony orchestra - and that really is my background anyhow. The type of music in my head ... well, maybe it could be soundtrack-y, but I listen to classical music mostly, and used to play it constantly, so ... this seemed like the best choice for me. I feel like it's more flexible, in that you can use it for anything.

I do have a lack of understanding about how to implement it - in that my little keyboard sends on channel 1 and I have to figure out the routing to use all 16 channels. That's a bit of a mystery to me, but I've found a few threads at the Cockos forum - but maybe I'll start one here about it, because we have our own resident experts. \:D

It does sound REALLY good, I have to say. I also have Miroslav 2 so I can see some layering in my future. Also, this software is expandable to Pro - though honestly I don't know if I have the horsepower to run the Pro version, that seems to be a common complaint.

Last year, or two years ago, it was the Abbey Road plugs, which are so, so great. These two - the B-3X and BBCSO - are also really nice purchases and so far I am really excited to use them.

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159754 Topics
1849625 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.