Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#1639790 - 01/02/20 03:39 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: KVM]
eggwheat Offline
Planeteer

Loc: South Coast UK
Long time no post...I still have my 2480 and still use it as a demo machine..anyway after years it has developed the cracking problem. On mine it is digital crackling and popping on the outputs..if I leave it on for 10 minutes it goes away. I am an electronics engineer, and based on experience, my gut says this is a capacitor failing somewhere...and it seems to be an issue as these machines really age now, based on looking around and seeing quite a few others reporting similar issues. I've never worked on a VS2480 before...but I'm going to have a go at fixing it at some point and will report back....if anyone finds anything out before me, please report here! I think this is an issue that is going to affect many if not all VS's over time..so it needs proper diagnosis.

#1640071 - 01/06/20 09:00 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: KVM]
KVM Offline
Space Cadet

Ok, I did some further tests on the VS2480. Mine is running OS version 2.504

I finally found out how to get to the test mode diagnostic screen (Press and hold Page + F1 buttons while powering up). I then ran the DSP Check and the results were not good. I got a code 111 on not just one, but ALL of them!!!! While I was at it, I also noticed the internal battery is NG (no good) and needs to be replaced. It is apparently a CR2032 battery and it is located just under one of the effects card slots on the main board. My fader #4 motor appears to be bad as well because it failed the fader test.

I was really hoping this crackling issue isn't a major hardware problem, but it very well could be from the looks of things. If so, that's a real bummer because this machine sounded so good when it was working properly, especially when I add effects from my three VS8F-2 cards. The sound I get from this unit as well as those cards definitely make it worth fixing (well, maybe). Question is, could the failing DSP chips be the culprit causing the crackling noise? And does that also mean my main board is shot and I need to get it replaced?

Than again, even if the main board is the problem and I get it replaced, there's no guarantee the replacement main board won't eventually fail at some point as well. On top of that, there are only so many VS2480 spare parts available and their supply will eventually become depleted. Is there a permanent fix to this problem or are these units all pretty-much reaching the end of the useful life?

#1649670 - 03/24/20 01:50 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: KVM]
unit5 Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: england
my vs2480cd is now around 18 years old and has developed the no audio symptom when booted up it take 2 to 3 reboots for the audio to appear aso i have the crackling problem when its booted up this goes away once i have let the machine warm up and run it for around 1 hour do you think there is a finite life on these machines i have a spare HHD version which i use for live recording at gigs and no probs at all with it and its an older machine

Edited by unit5 (03/24/20 01:52 PM)

#1649870 - 03/25/20 01:42 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: unit5]
gyorpb Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: unit5
[…] do you think there is a finite life on these machines […]
Yes.

(PS: punctuation exists for a reason.)

#1656800 - 05/06/20 11:55 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: eggwheat]
WoodyWoody Offline
Space Cadet

I have the crackling problem. Did you get to the bottom of it?
#1662007 - 05/28/20 04:32 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: WoodyWoody]
Indiejason Offline
Space Cadet

I was wondering if anyone got around to replacing capacitors during the quarantine over the last couple months? If so, did it address the crackling?

How about Roland support, did they offer any insight?

This seems to be a topic often asked about, but rarely reported back on. Did everyone else who experienced this issue simply abandon their machines and switch to a DAW (or some other Platform)? Surely, at least one person solved this mystery, lol....

I, too, have that same slight static in playback when the machine is cold. This has gotten progressively worse. Currently, the static remains for 30-40 mins and I often have to reload projects to get audio playback when the machine is cold. Once warmed up, the machine functions well, though with slight occasional crackling. I exported the tracks and the tracks are completely clean, the static is only on playback. No hard drive problems, battery is new, no effects on the tracks, and no digital equipment connected that might cause a clocking issue.
Jason

#1704362 - 12/19/20 02:38 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Indiejason]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Lithuania
Hi All,

In two weeks I will get all the capacitors and replace them on the VS2480 motherboard. Most of these parts contain leaking electrolyte, or capacitors have swept their ESR parameters. the time has come. most of them 100 mf 6.3v capacitors stand next to each other if you could say bigger chips ... ( if you'll look to service schematics ) When you start VS takes a lot of power from the power supply and the individual units start untimely and so on... whoever first got the right amount of volts, the one started and either consumes the clock, or no audio signal, static clicks or freezes the video. The whole reason is in outdated capacitors. It is still not only age, but also if the VS has been left turned off for a very long time, in which case the capacitor plates without electric charge become deformed and when the device is partially started on, deformated capacitor plates may be partially dampened by electric charge, they start to heat up and the electrolyte leaks the capacitors, on motherboars of VS you can see them look murky. Fortunately, the motherboard, which is normal for VS, has upside down, and the leaking electrolyte does not flood the motherboard with the chip. Therefore, replacing SMD electrolytes is not that difficult, just a lot of them. But almost all of them are 100mf, 6.3 v rated. And don't forget that modern SMD cheap electrolytes will best serve you for 5 years. Those sad capacitor properties are also evidenced by other electronic devices. So don’t be joyful about buying a “almost” unused electronic device that lay in the corner of the studio and has almost never been turned on, you may have the same problems as with the VS2480. But keep in mind, that if you are already doing such upgrades, it would be a good idea to check the ESR (Equivalent series resistance) capacitor parameters on other VS2480 boards and power supply as well.

Sorry my English , ( I translate it with google . \:\) :):) ) I hope you'll understood me.

Edited by Voxas (12/19/20 02:54 PM)

#1705114 - 12/23/20 06:17 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Voxas]
MikeSchmidt Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Minnesota
Let us know how it goes! I've got 2 spare mainboards that need the capacitors replaced.

Mike

#1705724 - 12/28/20 03:23 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: MikeSchmidt]
alds Offline
Armando L.
Space Cadet

Loc: Mexico City
I have replaced the 8 ADC capacitors and that fixed the crackling and popping issue.

Also I used to have a serious problem where the mixer won't boot and never passed the first boot page, also some capacitors where the problem and now it works like new.

#1705783 - 12/28/20 05:50 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: alds]
MikeSchmidt Offline
Planeteer

Great news! Did you happen to take any pictures!
I'll be doing the same after the new year.

Mike

#1705792 - 12/28/20 06:57 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: MikeSchmidt]
calypso Offline
Planeteer

Loc: mid-Missouri
wonderful news indeed - thanks Armando!

some music here:
soundcloud
bandcamp
spotify

#1705975 - 12/29/20 11:34 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: calypso]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Hello everyone . The good news is that I soldered out all SMD capacitors from the VS2480 motherboard and soldered the new PTH Radial Elctrolytic capacitors with good ESR parameters. specially with the help of a tester I selected all capacitors with almost the same ESR parameters. Now it starts like new and works flawlessly, there are no static clicks, no need to restart a few at a time to make a sound, or no more things like VS can't see the hard drive and so on. Everything is fine. One more difficult repair remained, four transistors in two analog input channels needed to be replaced. I got the same ones, but they are so small, they are hard to see for my eyes, I found analogues in a larger size, it also requires a lot of work, because access to the board scheme is quite difficult. Well, if all goes well I will let you know if anyone is interested. Clearly, without a service manual, it would be difficult to do such work. Good luck everyone .

Edited by Voxas (12/31/20 12:40 AM)

#1705978 - 12/29/20 11:58 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Voxas]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

And another addition. All capacitors on the motherboard VS2480, which are 100mf, - 6.3v, - if it is possible to install new ones with at least 100mf, - 16v. Or you can install 200mf capacitors there, because they stand in front of each IC power line. New capacitors of modern manufacturers can have a service life of about 5 years, so if after 5 years some capacitor parameters drops down, then they will still be the norm, if, as shown in the diagram, i.e. if you solder in e.g. 200mf, the capacity has dropped a bit after few years, but can still work for a long time with a setting of about 100mf. . The 16-volt capacitor gets the required capacity faster and withstands pulsations more easily. All capacitors of this denomination, as I said, stand in the IC power line.
Why do I recommend replacing all capacitors in the power line, as sooner or later you will have to replace them as there will be a problem. Another thing someone mentioned here is the boot problem, I had the same thing, keep in mind, that there are also capacitors on the motherboard next to each multi-pin socket that could be the cause of an incorrect HD start or something like that.

#1705984 - 12/30/20 12:39 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Voxas]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Warning !!!! If you decide to install a PTH Radial Capacitor, as in my case, be careful to solder them so that the VS2480 bottom metal cover does not deform the capacitor and do not short-circuit your device. Pay special attention to the places where there are Roland external sockets and effects section !!! You need to look very carefully at everything when you put on the metal bottom cover !!!
#1706058 - 12/30/20 04:52 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Voxas]
MikeSchmidt Offline
Planeteer

Did you take any picture of your work?

Mike

#1706094 - 12/30/20 09:03 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: MikeSchmidt]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Ups ...

Edited by Voxas (12/30/20 11:34 PM)

#1706095 - 12/30/20 09:04 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Voxas]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Maybe somebody can explain how to do that here step by step...
#1706097 - 12/30/20 09:07 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Voxas]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Oh ! I know ! Just a minute ...

Edited by Voxas (12/30/20 11:35 PM)

#1706100 - 12/30/20 09:29 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: MikeSchmidt]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Roland VS2480 Repair Some Photos

Edited by Voxas (12/30/20 11:31 PM)

#1706120 - 12/30/20 10:47 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Voxas]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Don't forget to buy some good quality tools before performing Roland VS repairs. Standard soldering equipment from the supermarket will definitely not work, you will only get tired of soldering and damage the motherboard soldering contacts. The soldering iron for soldering should be about 40W. In order for it to be hot enough that it is not necessary to keep the soldering iron pressed against the contact for a long time, as they may detach from the heat from the motherboards. Well, I think I have already writing too much ... \:\) If anyone is interested, you can still buy an volume faders from aliExpress, the same as Panasonic Company made. The same is used in the Soundcraft EFX8 , EPM8 and Mackie mixers. The length is 75mm . Stroke 60mm . But without the electric motor mechanism. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32922557400.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.339f4c4daHj9pa I wish for all good luck .

Edited by Voxas (12/31/20 01:13 AM)

#1706130 - 12/30/20 11:34 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Voxas]
Catweazle Online   content
Planeteer

Loc: Stockholm Sweden
Great pictures Voxas
Will come in handy when the crackling starts

To anyone "brave" enough to do this, it´s also good to know
that the old capacitors have a small black field on their top .
That´s the + side !
The new capacitors have a white stripe on their side.
That´s the + side !
Important to solder them to the right points .....

Cheers !

#1706134 - 12/30/20 11:43 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Catweazle]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Not dear, in this case, the black marking on the Roland capacitor means minus. You can just test it with a tester, connect one tester terminal to the housing & on the black side of capacitor contact and it will be clear where the minus is. Housing is minus , there is no need to mislead, which will really get people lost. If you add to the plus part the tester will also beep, but for a short time just after a second or two stops, and when you add the terminal to the minus contact marked in black, and the other terminal to the metal part of the housing will beep all the time you hold. \:\) https://macrofab.com/blog/the-footprint-files-electrolytic-capacitors/

Edited by Voxas (12/31/20 12:44 AM)

#1706136 - 12/30/20 11:46 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Voxas]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Florida - Dunnellon
Voxas,

Sent you a PM.

Starliner

#1706140 - 12/31/20 01:06 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Starliner]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Non SMD capacitors 100uf16V for VS mother board with good ESR 0.34 - 0.36 You can buy here : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32828905455.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.339f4c4daHj9pa

Edited by Voxas (12/31/20 01:07 AM)

#1706167 - 12/31/20 10:53 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Voxas]
Planeteer

Of course Voxas , I stand corrected. The marked side is - ( Minus )
Many years since I swapped the caps in one of my Casio PG-380´s
and I´m not an electric tech and memory fades away sometimes .......

The point I tried to make was that the new caps must be soldered
to the same joint as the old ones, as per your pictures ... Right ?
That´s what I was told 5 - 6 years ago when I fixed my PG-380
and it works ! \:o

Sorry for the confusion

Happy new year !
Cheers !

#1706170 - 12/31/20 12:09 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Catweazle]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Sometimes it happens, nothing terrible. \:\) \:\) \:\) I also make mistakes, it is important to notice them in time.

Happy New Year ! The best wishes & lots of happiness and joy !!!

#1710813 - 01/19/21 06:28 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Voxas]
MikeSchmidt Offline
Planeteer

Do you have a schematic or a list of which capacitors to change?

Mike

#1710834 - 01/19/21 07:37 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: MikeSchmidt]
Planeteer

They ( the capacitors ) are all the same age, so I would change them all when the time
comes for any of my VS´s ......
According to Voxas pictures of the motherboard there´s 48 (?) of them, so prepare
for neck pain and dry eyes

Cheers !

#1711624 - 01/22/21 06:51 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Catweazle]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

100% truthfulness — dry eyes, sore neck, sweat, fear of damaging copper tracks, it will definitely happen, through recklessness, or lack of experience. And even if everything went well, don't be fooled that you became a master, and you can do it all this way in Roland VS ... \:\) Don't forget to watch everything very carefully when disassembling and assembling the device. And if non-SMD type capacitors are soldered make sure, that, when assembling the device, someone somewhere will not shorten the circuit. In a few seconds, things can end badly. The first sign is that you are shortened somewhere by turning on the VS blue blank screen and no information on it. Rejoice for a few seconds, that the device has shown some signs of life. Switch off quickly, and you may be able to save the device. Do not try to connect several times while trying to view something on the screen. It is better to take a magnifying glass (shaky hands and sweaty forehead \:\) :)) check all joints and solder joints or everything is done well. And of course, before you do such work, train yourself by doing the same on another unnecessarily damaged device. Be sure to have good tools for such work. A good soldering station, very good lighting and magnifying glasses are essential. To remove electrolytic capacitors without soldering, you will be able to solder, when you need to install new ones. This will reduce the chance of overheating the copper tracks on the boards. Here's how to do it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8N9O3a9jiM . It is worth looking before invading the VS2480 and wondering if you will be able to do good service for this device. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx50YtEC2S8 . Well, I still think it would be good to have some kind of friend helper to work in such a job. Good luck and patience! \:\) \:\) \:\) Some tutorials : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjgWo7mj8-w

Edited by Voxas (01/22/21 07:00 AM)

#1711634 - 01/22/21 10:39 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Voxas]
Planeteer

Here´s an idea Voxas : Why not put together a "survival kit" for VS-2480 motherboards
and sell on "fleabay" ? A small kit with all the capacitors you need and some pictures and text on "how to do it"-tutorial .... \:\)

If not doing it yourself, at least you can take your VS and the survival kit to a real tech
so he has the right stuff to work with from start .....

Just a thought ......

Cheers !

#1711642 - 01/22/21 01:31 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Catweazle]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

Good idea. That is something to think about. The problem is that I don’t live in the USA. I just found out about fleabay as now. \:\) \:\) The problem with the Roland VS is not just the capacitors, but you need to do something with the faders, with an LCD display that is also not eternal. Generally, a repair department is required, where repairs are made, or special kits are assembled for parts, self-repair, devices that are no longer serviced by a branded manufacturer or any information, people, or nearby addresses, who and where in the world can do this job.. Service, where information is collected, archived, device failures, and how to fix them. There are a lot of expensive electronic devices, that you can’t throw out, once you’re used to working with it, be it like a relative or a grandfather who can still be alive if you take care of it. In this disposable items World,- those things gain a different value, when you grow, learn, and live with them long time.
#1712799 - 01/27/21 02:39 PM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: alds]
GIL_Z Offline
Space Cadet

Hello, have any pictures of these capacitors and the location?
#1713161 - 01/29/21 12:18 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: GIL_Z]
Voxas Offline
Planeteer

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipMF...VBTOWhlMFEyQ1Fn
#1714609 - 02/04/21 12:52 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: Voxas]
ojmbaz Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Bucaramanga-Santander -Colombi...
Hi, guys! Should changing the capacitors help when there is no sound and the test shows code 111 in all the DSP chips, Or does it mean that the ICs are all fried already and I have to replace them? I got a machine in good shape, it does boot fine and all the buttons and fader are working, but there is no sound going in (just shows the ground meter on the compressor all way up and a clip red light if I turn the gain all the way up. The test shows unable to perform the DSP test and Code 111 in all the chips.
#1714623 - 02/04/21 01:59 AM Re: Crackling / popping sounds [Re: ojmbaz]
March Offline
Planeteer

Loc: IA
I am humbled by so many people's daring attempts to debug the hardware and changed the capacitors. I would begin with simpler, more mundane tasks: so there is no sound going in, but there's sound going out? Is there anything recorder on the machine if you just "got it in good shape"? Have you tried all the inputs with a good microphone and a good cable that you know, for sure, that work properly? Have you tested digital ins? No signal there either?

Working from the ground up all the way to the capacitor seems like a reasonable approach

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159869 Topics
1850867 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.039 seconds in which 0.011 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.