Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1712381 - 01/26/21 01:37 AM extracting tracks from Backup
ottawa Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago, Illinois USA
Hello Folks,
I have many CD/DVD's that contain backup tracks from my old 2480. These are not exported tracks, but rather native 2480 backups.
Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get the backup tracks off the CD/DVDs? I have a mac with a drive in it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

#1712419 - 01/26/21 05:48 AM Re: extracting tracks from Backup [Re: ottawa]
keeppracticing Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Atlanta
You'll need access to a PC and you use the VS Wav Export (free) software to extract the wav filss onto the PC's hard drive.
#1712424 - 01/26/21 11:07 AM Re: extracting tracks from Backup [Re: keeppracticing]
Catweazle Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Stockholm Sweden
You cannot extract WAW files from VS Backup CD / DVDīs ...
Because thereīs no WAW files on them ...
They contain all data from projects, as fader settings, track names,
AUX send, routing, effects in use, and so on .....

Cheers !

#1712535 - 01/26/21 05:32 PM Re: extracting tracks from Backup [Re: keeppracticing]
ottawa Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago, Illinois USA
 Originally Posted By: keeppracticing
You'll need access to a PC and you use the VS Wav Export (free) software to extract the wav filss onto the PC's hard drive.

Thanks folks. Do you have a link to this software?

All the best,
Tom

#1712541 - 01/26/21 05:45 PM Re: extracting tracks from Backup [Re: ottawa]
ulank Offline
Forum Person
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago, IL
Big sticky at the top of this forum...

#1712555 - 01/26/21 06:12 PM Re: extracting tracks from Backup [Re: ulank]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
The search function also works quite well in these forums. Search for keywords like VSWE, or VS Wave Export, or CD2Roland, etc.

Because many of these threads are years old and links are constantly going bad, or being updated, it's probably wise to start with the last posts in a thread and work your way backwards. This subject is constantly being addressed, so don't be put off when people are slow to respond to this subject. It's getting really old and not a lot is changing about it.

#1712693 - 01/26/21 11:53 PM Re: extracting tracks from Backup [Re: uptildawn]
March Offline
Planeteer

Loc: IA
If I understand correctly,the songs were saved as data, right? The format is Roland proprietary; the songs need to be brought back onto the VS itself. You could mix them down to two stereo tracks and then burn the song on a CD which you could pop into your mac and upload it from there
If you want to retrieve each track separately, then you need to use the track export function. Never done it myself, but I think the VS will save them as WAV files (two at a time) that you could burn on a CD, pair by pair, and then upload them into your mac.
You don't need another program, if you go by pairs--but again, I have never done it myself

#1712708 - 01/27/21 01:21 AM Re: extracting tracks from Backup [Re: March]
keeppracticing Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Atlanta
@Catweezle The VS Wav Export software finds the hidden files Roland tried to make proprietary. It will indeed extract every wav file recorded in a song project that has been backed up to CD or DVD by the 2480.

@Tom (ottawa) pm me if you need help getting the VSWE program

Cheers \:\)

#1712788 - 01/27/21 09:40 AM Re: extracting tracks from Backup [Re: keeppracticing]
Catweazle Offline
Planeteer

Wow .. Or should I say Waw ... I didīnt know that. Sorry
I do know you can export Waw files to CDīs and then to computer and so on,
but to extract Waw files from the backup CD / DVDīs ..... Strange ???
Waw files are so big and thereīs not so much data on backup CDīs ... ( Iīm to old to grasp this .... )
Is that the case regardless what mode you use when recording ( MTP, LIV, M24 ... )
And does that program only work with Windows, or also with Mac ???

I think I will do what Zappa said : "Shut up and play your guitar" ;\)

Cheers !

#1712798 - 01/27/21 02:21 PM Re: extracting tracks from Backup [Re: Catweazle]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

If you really want to know about exporting/extracting wav files from cd/dvd backups, then I would suggest that you start by reading the sticky threads about FunkyBeat's Guide found at the top of both the 2480 and 1680 forums. In fact, start with the one in the 1680 forum, where it really all began - first post in that thread is from 2006.

Besides learning how it all came about, you will also discover all the hurdles vs users have all had to jump to keep the method and the tools alive and viable.

To speak to your specific questions here and without going into details I don't fully comprehend myself, Catweazle, Roland backup discs contain all the information required for the machines to be able to reconstruct a session, but they do not contain full uncompressed wav files. Roland's priority compression scheme is also what allows us to pile on so much track data into numerous project files on such a small hard drive (again, I don't understand the details of these processes, so don't slam me for it, please).

The two tools most responsible for our ability to extract uncompressed wav files from backup discs are the CD2Roland "ripper" and VS Wave Export (VSWE as it's known). They were created and maintained for some years by 2 outstanding developers who also used VS recorders. Neither of them actively supports the tools anymore, but the tools still work great - WHEN you can get Windows to leave them alone to do their jobs.

Neither tool works natively on mac computers... pc-only.
Most of, but not all recording modes are accepted. If memory serves, all the most commonly modes used from the 880 on up can be ripped and extracted, except the LIV modes. Again, my information may be lacking. I know for certain that LIV modes don't work.

A long while ago, the 2 tools were combined into VSWE - with the ripper being accessed through an Extras menu in VSWE, which also eliminated the need for users to have to create a batch file from within Command Prompt in order to use the ripper. And beyond that, VirDIS, developed by Bill Casey, has incorporated both tools into its incredible program functions. This is the most currently reliable way to get access to the ripping and extracting functions, but it is not a free program and requires (at this time) a free pcie slot in your pc for its main hardware component. You can read a bunch about VirDIS from the VirDIS forum here on the Planet, as well as through searching the numerous threads that discuss the program and the other 2 tools extensively.

Take keeppracticing up on his offer to help in obtaining VSWE, if you're inclined, because one of the big sticking points for a few years now is the trouble we have in keeping antivirus programs from disabling the ripper tool (at some point in time, virus program definitions began to target and tag the ripper as a Trojan virus, even though it does not infect a computer, or cause harm). Again, something I don't fully comprehend, so can't provide details.

#1712801 - 01/27/21 03:24 PM Re: extracting tracks from Backup [Re: uptildawn]
Catweazle Offline
Planeteer

Thanx Up for clarifying
So thereīs some compression going on to get all project data to the backup CD ......
Well, I have no trouble with my VSīs and donīt use computers to mix and master
my music. I do everything in the VS units, as intended by Roland
And I donīt touch Windows computers ......

I just chimed in on OPīs question as I thought I knew how backup CDīs
was created and what was burned onto them .... Little did I know

As said in my previous post : I will just "shut up and play my guitar"
( and bass , keyboards and drums .... )

Cheers !

#1713012 - 01/28/21 05:28 AM Re: extracting tracks from Backup [Re: Catweazle]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
Will the VS Wav Export software rip DVD's ?? The VIRDIS program allows CD ripping === just not DVD

Edited by C Jo Go (01/28/21 05:34 AM)

#1713015 - 01/28/21 07:05 AM Re: extracting tracks from Backup [Re: C Jo Go]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

The VSWE program doesn't rip discs. It's the CD2Roland tool that does the ripping. As I've said before, the ripper tool was added to VSWE in the Extras menu many years ago.

VirDIS comes with VSWE (and by extension, CD2Roland) by arrangement with the developer (as I understand it - ask Bill to be sure). Since VirDIS comes with VSWE and CD2Roland (the ripper tool) comes with VSWE - then VirDIS allows the same ripping of backup discs that VSWE does - which is that it uses the CD2Roland ripper tool...... It is what it is.

I've read before that the ripper does rip dvd discs - at least I thought I'd read that in at least one of the many threads where we've been tossing this method around. But we seem to rehash this over and over so much that my head's spinning trying to remember what's been said. \:\)

If it doesn't rip dvds, then it doesn't and neither does VSWE and neither does VirDIS. If it does rip dvds, then they all do, because only the ripper rips ANY backups and the other programs do not by themselves.

I hope that's clear.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
String Jammer
Xenophile
Dave Morris
T57Strat
slotz
GAMBLE
Jammer
Liquidirt
SteveW
JazAddict
motown59
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159732 Topics
1849467 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.033 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.