Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
#1718125 - 02/22/21 05:58 AM Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Pensacola, FL
Say A Little Prayer was written and recorded this past July and August. I wrote it in under 15 minutes, like most of my projects, mixing took forever. Just getting around to finishing it up today... This is another one man project (all instruments performed, arranged, and mixed by yours' truly), and This is certainly NOT a perfect track by any stretch...Nonetheless, please feel free to comment....Love it, hate it, want to hear a different mix, or whatever...doesn't matter....All comments are appreciated....Thanks in advance to anyone who will listen...

Edited by Gretsch 6120 (02/22/21 06:18 AM)

#1718143 - 02/22/21 02:02 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Loc: California
That's fun, cool song, fits right in with the style and vibe. Guitar tones right on. Good bass. Everything is smooth sounding. I had a little trouble with the groove at times, the beginning had some significant flam'y stuff happening. Guitar solo was going along and then it sounded like it got lost a bit...like a lot of mine when I play live. The ending threw me off...

One of my own K-rules is to make sure the first chorus is nailed, establishing that hook. It just seemed a little pitchy. If this was a live track I'd probably listen differently. Not knowing how this went down, it wouldn't be fair to preach about having time in a recording process to sort out some things. And of course, the easiest thing to do is come in after everything has been done, with "you oughtas" and be the critic.

Edited by motown59 (02/22/21 02:03 PM)

"I love what you guys are trying to do up there" ...from an audience member at one of my gigs.
Gear: Fender Medium pick

#1718146 - 02/22/21 02:32 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: motown59]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Kel, thanks for the listen. Not making any excuses for shortfalls, but I'll say this was intentionally left a bit loose because the intent was to capture an early Beatles/late 50s vibe...not sure it did, but that was the intent.

A couple comments that concern me enough to reevaluate my choices. 1. I know of what you speak regarding the intro. That was an arrangement choice, but I have other "take lane/v track" options for that 2 bar intro that are more straight forward; so, that's an easy fix. 2. Can you identify specific area/s that are "pitchy," or is it the entire vocal? 3. Which part of the guitar solo would you say went off the rails? Obviously, the guitar solo was deliberate, as it was not improvised but was quickly developed (well, relatively quickly). Was it the double stops or the solo's jazzy lick at the end? ...again, that's an easy fix, as I have two versions of that solo, and one doesn't have the double stops, if that's the issue. I can replace easy enough...

Thanks again and standing by....

#1718148 - 02/22/21 02:51 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
calypso Offline
Planeteer

Loc: mid-Missouri
Having read Kel's comments, I find myself agreeing with him.
You could "glue" the coda more firmly to the song by adding some vocal on it (just repeating the song name as it fades away, for example).

I'm hearing a hole in the "spectrum" of sound... I want to hear something in the low-mid range with some warmth like an acoustic guitar rhythm track.

I think it's a fine song!

some music here:
soundcloud
bandcamp
spotify

#1718152 - 02/22/21 03:19 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: calypso]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Cal, thanks...taken to heart....

#1718153 - 02/22/21 03:26 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: calypso]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

Nice job Chris. I like it. Sounds good on my playback system. No critique really - except I might agree with this:

Originally Posted By: calypso

I'm hearing a hole in the "spectrum" of sound... I want to hear something in the low-mid range with some warmth like an acoustic guitar rhythm track.

But yeah - cool fun song, good guitar playing!

#1718154 - 02/22/21 03:37 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Webster]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Webster
Nice job Chris. I like it. Sounds good on my playback system. No critique really - except I might agree with this:

Originally Posted By: calypso

But yeah - cool fun song, good guitar playing!

Dave, thanks buddy....guess I'll be adding an acoustic guitar track....along, with some other minor tweaks....or major....back to the drawing board....

#1718155 - 02/22/21 03:50 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

Chris - I listened again and there is a little tempo issue right at the beginning when the snare enters. Is that fixable without redoing or punching in?

I'm not savvy to editing with a computer and mouse - but I'm wondering if you can move things a little to fix that?

#1718161 - 02/22/21 04:20 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Webster]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Webster
Chris - I listened again and there is a little tempo issue right at the beginning when the snare enters. Is that fixable without redoing or punching in?

I'm not savvy to editing with a computer and mouse - but I'm wondering if you can move things a little to fix that?

It's an intro snapped to a grid, but that particular part and the similar going into the outro were after thought punch ins...it's an easy scrub.....I'll probably just use the original drum intro....

Thanks again for the suggestions.....

#1718162 - 02/22/21 04:24 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Webster]
grachus Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 92
Planeteer

Loc: burlington ont, canada
its a good twang to this I like it. Is that a gretsch?? I think a acoustic will help the sound for sure.... I think if you push the vocal up front a bit will help too...im mixing a song for two years now so good work getting it done.

#1718164 - 02/22/21 04:26 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

How'd you get that nifty guitar tone? I assume your playing your 6120 - but from there?

#1718166 - 02/22/21 04:27 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: grachus]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: grachus

im mixing a song for two years now so good work getting it done.

lol. You and me both.

#1718170 - 02/22/21 04:47 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: grachus]
calypso Offline
Planeteer

Loc: mid-Missouri
 Originally Posted By: grachus
its a good twang to this I like it. Is that a gretsch??

The man's very identity is gretsch! \:\)

some music here:
soundcloud
bandcamp
spotify

#1718172 - 02/22/21 04:52 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Webster]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

There's a Gretsch 6120 and Gretsch Electromatic Double Jet on it. I've recorded a lot since July; so, I'm trying to remember which was which, but there are basically three guitar tracks on it...one rhythm on the left, the overlaid hybrid picked on the right, and the solo guitar....I think the 6120 is the one you're thinking it is, but I'm not 100% sure anymore....:).....I can tell you this: I have two Electromatics, and sonically, the differences are marginal....I could easily cut a professional Rockabilly track with either the Electromatics and no one would be any the wiser....the Blacktop Filtertrons are great...sound a little different than the TV Jones--maybe not quite as much detail--but they really do a nice job of capturing that Gretsch jangle and twang....The Double Jet is probably my favorite because it's so versatile....I'd take it over any LP any day of the week....I like my LP a lot, but I LOVE the Double Jet.

#1718173 - 02/22/21 04:59 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Oh, and most of this was mic'd on a real amp....I used a little mixer and sub mix method to blend DI out and a 57....there may be a Sennheiser 421 on some of it (probably the solo)...can't recall because that mic came in during the time I was recording this. I'd pretty much wrapped tracking by late August, and then we got hit by Hurricane Sally 14 September, and the project went on hiatus, along with so many other things...I picked it back up in late October, but other than a few little tweaks here and there, the tracking was already done...should have taken notes...

I've got multiple projects going right now, but I'm trying to focus in on one at a time before moving too far forward with others...as sick as I am of this song, I'm going to take these recommendations for action to better dial it in....

Edited by Gretsch 6120 (02/22/21 05:01 PM)

#1718185 - 02/22/21 05:23 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Walmartville
I listened. I thought the vocals were the weakest part but I mostly liked it. I do prefer Baccarach's I Say A Little Prayer by far.

"I am only in this forum to ridicule you" - BmC

#1718188 - 02/22/21 05:31 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Gretsch 6120
Blacktop Filtertrons are great

Ha! Had to look that up. \:\)

#1718190 - 02/22/21 05:41 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Don't get me wrong, the tune is cool, the tones and vibe is fun.

I get wanting loose, real vibe. I guess there's a point where something crosses over into being noticeable in a detrimental way, drawing attention to itself. The intro timing did that for me to a point I had to listen four times to assess what was happening. It settles down quite nicely.

my $.03c, adjusted for inflation

The intro toms have been corrected(? a guess) to straight 8ths for a bit, but the tune and guitar swings. Then when the "band" comes in the band is ahead of the snare, and something cymbal is flamming with the snare 20ish ms ahead. There's something wanky there on the fill going into the verse too.

That first sung bit is flat, maybe its C, Bb "hey little girl on through that climb. Listen to "want" which you nailed on "life full", "no mystery" etc.
On your setup on the II-V "say a little prayer.." is pretty pitchy. 2nd one is better.
Check "life full of lies..no mystery, all said and..." at the end with that constant reach for what is probably an E note.
That kind of stuffs. If you had deep scoops that were swooping to hit the notes eventually, it'd probably be just considered a style things as opposed to coming up flat.

The solo? goes a little off the rails at 1:18. The lick at 1:22 to the end of the solo is just sketchy, thats all. And the solo needs two beers on it, or at least decaf coffee

The end? coming back in part could be more elegant. then at around 2:23 the guitar is significantly ahead of the drums. Decaf my friend

Edited by motown59 (02/22/21 05:51 PM)

"I love what you guys are trying to do up there" ...from an audience member at one of my gigs.

#1718204 - 02/22/21 06:40 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico ...
I think it's a good song, but you should do it again and tighten up the rhythm. The groove is too messy (I don't want to say 'loose' because a loose groove is cool, but this is too loose for me.) Nice guitar work. Pitchy vox here and there.

#1718207 - 02/22/21 06:53 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Jazzooo]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I'm confused as hell about the groove issues...drums and bass were tracked to a metronome and snapped to a grid and lined up (not perfectly) but according to the grid without hard quantization but meticulously checked at each measure to ensure "tightness." It's not translating like that on my system at all.

This makes me wonder a few things....is it a latency issue?....I think there may be some discombobulation going on at the busing level too..as for pithiness, I did notice some of that when mixing....some of it is the frustration of monitoring in my room while singing, but I'll likely recut the vocal now.

But if the groove is that bad--I mean, that one just shocks me, honestly--then I just need to pull the entire SOB and quit...I got too much time and energy into this for something like this to suck that bad...I've been doing this too long and have obviously lost my touch and edge if it's that off that I couldn't hear something that noticeable...after a million playthroughs and mix attempts there's just no excuse in it being that bad....

#1718210 - 02/22/21 07:29 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

I don't think it's that bad personally.

Million playthroughs.. well, it's relatively easy to not be able to hear things clearly after a half million. And you're probably suffering through a mild case of I did thats syndrome. Latency? Certainly possible to affect groove right, but that doesn't really excuse letting it go through mixing.

So, relax a little. Don't put everything on Craigslist yet. Try some playbacks with just drums with guitar...maybe from outside...

#1718212 - 02/22/21 07:38 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: motown59]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Try a hard quantize with a swing factor added in. Seriously, there is no point in not trying it.

#1718213 - 02/22/21 07:51 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: motown59]
Webster Offline
Planeteer

Chris! Brother... you ultimately have to make the call - but in my mind this tune and the recording of it are soooo worth a couple of corrections. I personally wouldn't bother with the vocals - unless something is buggin YOU about it. I hear what Kel and Doug are saying - but I'm not convinced that you need to scrap the vocal and redo it.

But there is most definitely a little tempo thing right at the beginning that is downright distracting and - I think - is not only worth fixing - but the tune and what you've put into it is deserving of that fix.

Do you hear it? Where the snare starts hitting on the 2's and 4's (about 7-8 second mark on the above soundcloud file) and then slows just a hair at about the 10-11 second mark?

This is meant only to be helpful and constructive. This tune is worth it. ;\)

#1718214 - 02/22/21 08:00 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Jazzooo]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
That's a fun toe-tapper, Chris.
I think I hear what folks are saying about the groove.
Might be that you were going for Ringo's behind-the-beat feel, and that might be hard to do when playing to a click... feels like you have to catch up once in a while.

Maybe try it again without playing to a click? Did you see Jeff Lynne's Mister Blue Sky? There's an interview with Ringo where he bitches about Lynne always wanting him to play to a click. Ringo snarls "I AM the fucking click!" \:D

#1718219 - 02/22/21 08:15 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Xenophile]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Yeah, but...we aren't Ringo. I usually play to a click, and I often quantize without shame. I add in a swing factor sometimes and it feels great.

#1718226 - 02/22/21 08:43 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Jazzooo]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I pulled it back up and found where two points did effect the groove...one, I accidently left the MIDI quantize on the main out of the MIDI track, and two I had the entire drum bus routed to a reverb bus...I took that off too...I already made some other changes to the intro.

But, I think I will redo the drums and vocals entirely...I'm going to add the acoustic guitar in there too...

I appreciate all the objective input. That's what I'm looking for, and yeah, now that it was mentioned the groove did jump out at me immediately, within the first 8 bars....not that bad all the way through, but there are definitely some rough places...

For some weird reason I can't get EZD to talk to my e-kit now, even though the plugin is loaded correctly. I'll even pull up a new session of EZD with the same load presets, and it will work; yet, the one I cut this with won't interface now, for some unforeseen reason....just weird.

I'll tell ya something else too--and I'm not making excuses but it's just the truth--I NEVER had groove issues before doing this e-kit to SW interface MIDI thing...recording live drums was much easier in that regard....there are so many factors with latency, mistriggering, and SW glitches...just a giant PITA, not to mention my system crashed at least 5 times yesterday while mixing, which meant I was starting over from an hours' or so starting point at least a couple of times and lost a boatload of time...

As for vocals, I guess I just have one of those voices people either like or they don't, but pitchy usually is not a thing with me....I did hear it in this song...some of it's lack of practice and just being out of vocal shape anymore, and some of it is my monitoring situation too....I need to pay closer attention moving forward on this one...the vocal sounds simple, but it's a little deceptive (devil in the details kind of thing).

I'm going to take a step back on this one and do as suggested....I'll give myself a couple days to reboot, and then I'll tackle it again...Stand by for a new forthcoming version....Thanks again for the input...that's what I was looking for...

#1718236 - 02/22/21 09:26 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
The sonics of everything I hear I could make short work of...but, the feel of the drums says "don't bother until you address ME".

Quote:
I NEVER had groove issues before doing this e-kit to SW interface MIDI thing...recording live drums was much easier in that regard

You're saying that like it's a new discovery? ;\)

If you are recording MIDI, everything* HAS to be quantized, because it can't reproduce what you played. And Doug left part out--it needs a 16th note swing, NOT an 8th swing.

*The PROBLEM is--it will pooch your ghost notes on the snare...and your fills will becomes stunted and awkward. And samples for the ghost notes are full hits, too. Fix that if EZD will let you.

Or maybe you send me a mix of everything BUT the drums, and I'll sit my Robot in Air Studios with Eddie Kramer and see what it comes up with...

Edited by Popmann (02/23/21 01:08 AM)
Edit Reason: Question marks matter

#1718288 - 02/23/21 06:21 AM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Popmann]
The Vampire Lestat Offline
Planeteer

I tried to listen, but it seems like the song was removed. I'm curious to hear it, since I really like some rockabilly music. Our band has made two attempts at original rockabilly tunes, but it's out of our comfort zone for sure. I hope that you re-post it.
#1718290 - 02/23/21 06:35 AM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: The Vampire Lestat]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

It's 12:30 a.m. here oh, and I've been working on the mix updates for a few hours. I really hope to have something new to present within the week. That's my goal anyway. Thanks for the interest, and I'll check back in with it soon.

#1718336 - 02/23/21 05:43 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I'm curious to know why you don't just start from scratch? It would take less time and I think it would produce a better result.

#1718340 - 02/23/21 05:52 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Jazzooo]
Timster Offline
Artist #'s - 130, 298, 412
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Center of the Universe
Did you take down the track?

https://soundcloud.com/tim-jensrud/tracks

#1718352 - 02/23/21 07:00 PM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Jazzooo]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Jazzooo
I'm curious to know why you don't just start from scratch? It would take less time and I think it would produce a better result.

Thats what i was suggesting about the drums. While ideally, i believe in building from the foundation out....Logic’s AI also has the ability to “listen” to whats there an adjust its timing subtly to fit....so, its not, I don’t think a lost cause. I could be wrong. Thing about AI, IME-sometimes it just plays shit. ;\)

But, a remix isn't going to help. I mean sure....I think the vocal and bass compression was WAY off the mark...i remeber what sounded like some odd fader rides on both vocal and “lead” guitar....these are things you can address in a remix...but, the drums need to be locked in—bette feeling AND sounding, else the other stuff doesnt matter, because a recording is truly a weakest link scenario.

Let me be more clear in case this was taken the wrong way....I will throw my drum AI at it for free. Ideally, I would orefer to have all the tracks so i can have it “follow” bass in one section and guitar in another and click in another....or something....but, if you just want a quick thing to explore, a track with everything BUT drums will do.

Thing is....I know....a LOT about making MIDI drum sequences feel natural and sound natural. Dont take my always talking about it being a last ditch option as anything BUT a oreference of how to work. Ive learned over the years that end result aside, its kind of a huge waste of time versus just putting up some mics and recording a drummer. The fact that Im SO OCD about MIDI timing flaws and such is BECAUSE i grew uo using it AS the drummer in my art because I dont play.

I mean I wrote custom Javascript to real time alter the hyoer midi stream I tap from the Logic environment (engine level UI) so that i could lossless,y in real time marry the AI to Toontrack’s SD3 drum samples made by Al Schmiddt, George Masenberg, BobRock, and now Eddie Kramer....i mean...if theres anything I know like the back of my hand, its how to get MIDI drums to sound/feel as realistic as anyone at ANY level.

Id do it for free because i feel like we’re a close knit community....and because Im always curious to see what the AI does pointed at OTHER people’s timing. It can only make me stronger at wielding it.

#1718413 - 02/24/21 02:05 AM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Jazzooo]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Jazzooo

Why would I do that when there is nothing inherently wrong with a bass or guitar parts? I located and
n identified the loose ends on the drums, but otherwise everything is clicking tight and snap to the grid really well. So, there's no inherent timing issue there. I'm going to recut the vocals because I'm a perfectionist and want to get it right. I don't know that I agree with Kel's assessment on the guitar solo because that is the guitar solo I heard in my head going in. So, that might be a point of artistic different there. Honestly, every time I hear this song in my mind that's how the guitar solo sounds. Some of it just boils down to not everyone is going to like everything I do, but at the end of the day, I just want to put forth the best version or product of a song that I can with the limited time and resources I have. I have a million songs behind this one, and I want to get working on them. At some point I've just got to move on..

Edited by Gretsch 6120 (02/24/21 02:09 AM)

#1718432 - 02/24/21 04:39 AM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

There are literally no words to express my level of frustration right now. I probably have a good five to six hours in between last night and this evening fixing things in this damn song, and now all the sudden all of my isolated clips in my Lanes have disappeared, which means I have to go through each and every track to re-edit, which I already did back in October and November and spent hours upon hours doing... to go back to a different previous version with me and losing all the time I put in within the past 2 days... This is so f****** frustrating....

#1718436 - 02/24/21 05:34 AM Re: Brand New Rockabilly/Beatle-Esque Original : Please Listen [Re: Memphis Monroe]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

What kinds of editing are needed? I mean...a guitar track, you played it back to front, right? I see you talking about snapping basses to a grid...what happens if you just DON'T do that kind of thing?

Doesn't Sonar have a history window? That you can go back through the undos until you find out what you accidentally did that made whatever disappear?

If you make and edit that's substantial, render the fucking shit to the WAV archive you're not likely making ;\) Vocal_Edit1a.WAV...reediting things sounds like a weird unnecessary drag.

Isn't it easier to just play the shit with the red light on?

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159877 Topics
1850929 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.033 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.