Page 1 of 3 123>
Topic Options
#1761827 - 12/08/21 12:43 AM Anyone had luck with this controller ??
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca

#1761828 - 12/08/21 12:45 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
It was discontinued like 10 years ago.

Harrison liked it so much they made a special implementation in Mixbus32c, despite it being so long gone out of production.

Never touched one personally.

#1761829 - 12/08/21 01:02 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: Popmann]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Thanks -- did hear a bit about them -- few years back. Stated it worked well with Reaper .. sounded interesting ..

#1761830 - 12/08/21 01:25 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I recently sold two of these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313700389367?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Works with the VS2480 and works with Reaper. There are 8 faders and pans, etc. With the 4 program button you can control 32 tracks. Also has transport control.

#1761831 - 12/08/21 01:40 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: Ismellelephant]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Looking good SMELLY -- would like a bit larger flat-form --

#1761841 - 12/08/21 03:26 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

#1761853 - 12/08/21 05:09 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: Popmann]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Looks good POP -- sent the info to my other engineer > see if he wants to tackle it .. Be nice to just grab a knob /fader and work like the VS -- 2022 dream ..

#1761854 - 12/08/21 05:34 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Ugg.. I truly hate the modern world practice of buying gear that has an expiration date. When I was a kid, if your parents spent $$$ on something > it would stay in your family for generations..

#1761855 - 12/08/21 06:11 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Look likes a few Behringer models are still active and update able ..not sure how well they talk to REAPER ..

For under $400 the TASCAM looked great --didn't realize it was so old hat .. Now that desk I could mix with ~!

Edited by C Jo Go (12/08/21 06:16 AM)

#1761901 - 12/08/21 02:34 PM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

You didnt realize when i said it hadnt been made in ten years earlier in this thread?

You HAVE to give upon Reaper if you want physical control.

#1761937 - 12/08/21 07:02 PM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: Popmann]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Popmann
You didnt realize when i said it hadnt been made in ten years earlier in this thread?

You HAVE to give upon Reaper if you want physical control.

Darn just getting use to REAPER after all these years >> not jumping into the fire again .. \:o

Well, it was tempting .. Not going down that rabbit hole

Edited by C Jo Go (12/08/21 07:16 PM)

#1761939 - 12/08/21 07:31 PM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
Vanillagrits Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: C Jo Go
When I was a kid, if your parents spent $$$ on something > it would stay in your family for generations..

I have my great grandmothers rolling pin and my grandfathers shotgun.......unfortunately they were not into pro audio in the 1890's.

#1761946 - 12/08/21 08:42 PM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: Vanillagrits]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Vanillagrits
When I was a kid, if your parents spent $$$ on something > it would stay in your family for generations..

I have my great grandmothers rolling pin and my grandfathers shotgun.......unfortunately they were not into pro audio in the 1890's.

Mine were into violin ( cousin still has Grandpa 's ) and a piano ( which I am not sure who has now - been passed around so much ) ...

Grandpa also was into making life size statues for the local church -- and made me a mother of pearl chess set > for graduation ..had that kiln always fired up...

Edited by C Jo Go (12/08/21 08:44 PM)

#1761968 - 12/09/21 12:04 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
flatcat Administrator Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Westborough, MA, USA
I don't understand why we're talking about this again. You don't want a controller. You want an all in one solution, which you already have.

Professor Truth T. Sweetness says,"Mind your manners!"

#1761996 - 12/09/21 03:03 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: flatcat]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: flatcat
I don't understand why we're talking about this again. You don't want a controller. You want an all in one solution, which you already have.

But if that breaks ~!

Yes , I wanted a all in one -- but, that DREAM was all shut down < in that laborious blog > its just not out there.

SO : substitute for a rack of 8 channels/ interface ( USB) and a nice controller --like that TASCAM U 2400

Come on Santa bring it along for Christmas ..under the tree ~!

Edited by C Jo Go (12/09/21 07:20 AM)

#1762012 - 12/09/21 03:21 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Nope. You need to buy another 2480. You're old enough your heirs can throw them into the trash, given it's current value, when you kick it.
#1762013 - 12/09/21 03:31 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

from Gear Space

"Now as for why there aren't more controllers that can do exactly what people want, in my opinion the main issue is not necessarily with Standardization from DAW to DAW. It's actually because DAW manufacturers do not open their software to other companies to be able to control their DAW. This forces Controller Manufacturers to stick to the old MCU Protocol and other 20 year old limiting protocols.

My controller will be completely customizable in REAPER because that DAW has opened up their software for others to be able to control it. It also took a software developer 4 years to write the code to communicate with REAPER. But the way he wrote it, if other DAW companies open up their API, his CSI software can be ported to work with them as well.

So if you want progress in this department, talk to your DAW manufacturer "

]

Edited by C Jo Go (12/09/21 04:52 PM)

#1762014 - 12/09/21 03:38 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: Popmann]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Nope. You need to buy another 2480. You're old enough your heirs can throw them into the trash, given it's current value, when you kick it.

"" Darn "" just sold my spare in September ..been in storage for 7 years .. The 2480 still has life. \:D I find with tracking with VIRDIS and keeping almost every project off the 2480 -- it keeps the HD smooth running ..

#1762019 - 12/09/21 04:39 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: Ismellelephant]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Ismellelephant
I recently sold two of these
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313700389367?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

Works with the VS2480 and works with Reaper. There are 8 faders and pans, etc. With the 4 program button you can control 32 tracks. Also has transport control.

So it allows the faders to correspond to 32 tracks ?? Will look for Utubes -- see how much tutorial is available -- thanks ~!

Sweetwater sent me a note on the Behringer X-Touch -- over $200 >>> BUT I can send it back ~! Not sure if it can control 32 tracks though \:o

Edited by C Jo Go (12/09/21 04:45 AM)

#1762035 - 12/09/21 07:44 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
Loquacious Planeteer

Those things won't do what you want them to do. You will have to multitrack record in Reaper. You won't do that. You could do that now. But that's not what you want to do.

#1762036 - 12/09/21 07:46 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: flatcat]
Loquacious Planeteer

If you want something that will do that, you can get a Nektar Panorama series device. If you want faders, a P4 will do it for you. That has a motorized fader. It's one of the devices I have and it's very tightly bound to Reaper.

But you don't want to use Reaper that way. So ... there isn't a device on the market that will do what you want, except another used 2480 or something like that.

I don't know why we keep going through this.

#1762038 - 12/09/21 07:53 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: flatcat]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Willing to try to and multi track in Reaper... BUT would be worlds easier ...with a controller guiding me to the tracks. Trying to hire someone for next month...thats why i am looking at controllers that may work easiest with Reaper....thanks

That Tascam looked so promising

#1762041 - 12/09/21 08:25 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

What the H *ll is this https://youtu.be/evAwAbElDoc

#1762056 - 12/09/21 01:02 PM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: flatcat]
Vanillagrits Offline
Planeteer

Too much LDS in college.

#1762078 - 12/09/21 04:43 PM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: Vanillagrits]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Vanillagrits

Too much LDS in college.

Yes ::: Language Deficient Studies

#1762079 - 12/09/21 04:47 PM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

I guess its like those looking for different guitars /amps ... you search out weekly on here ... share & share a like.

Just entering a new part of my engineering world Many have already touched base > with the prevailing tech... ;\)

Edited by C Jo Go (12/09/21 04:53 PM)

#1762085 - 12/09/21 05:12 PM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: Popmann]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA

I think this is good advice for you, C Jo. If you shop around you can probably acquire a stable full of inexpensive, fully-functional used 2480s to last you the rest of your life.

#1762104 - 12/09/21 07:51 PM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: Xenophile]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Xenophile

I think this is good advice for you, C Jo. If you shop around you can probably acquire a stable full of inexpensive, fully-functional used 2480s to last you the rest of your life.

Maybe >> I should not had sold that one I had in storage \:o But I was so looking forward to a DAW with actual titles on a folder and more than 11 characters for the song name ... That update alone ~~ might be worth the anguish of learning a newer DAW

Edited by C Jo Go (12/09/21 07:54 PM)

#1762137 - 12/10/21 02:50 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
Loquacious Planeteer

I guess its like those looking for different guitars /amps ... you search out weekly on here ... share & share a like.

Just entering a new part of my engineering world Many have already touched base > with the prevailing tech... ;\)

No, it's not really like that at all, I'm sorry to say.

#1762145 - 12/10/21 03:19 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: flatcat]
Loquacious Planeteer

I mean ... come on, Jo. The paradigm is not that different, really. There are controllers that are now built into keyboards. They have a limited number of faders, so there is not a 1:1 relationship between faders and tracks. But that's OK, because there's a button that will move you over to the next group of faders. So you can always use them.

These things have knobs that allow you to put effects onto tracks in the computer, right from the controller. You can even change the parameters of the effects on the controller too. it's done with buttons, and you see it on a screen on the controller as well as seeing it in real time in the DAW.

Conceptually, the DAW is both a gigantic tape deck with unlimited tracks for unlimited takes and unlimited editing ability, and it is the rack where all your effects live.

That's it. That's the big mystery.

In order to get sounds into the computer, you need an interface which will convert analog sound from a microphone into a digital signal. This is separate from the controller much of the time, though not exclusively so.

For example, I have a digital interface which has mic preamps and regular instrument inputs (a Focusrite 6i6) as well as MIDI inputs and outputs. I use the mic preamps built in, but I also have a nicer preamp (an FMR Audio Really Nice Pre) which is connected to the 6i6 through an old ART DI/O into the SPDIF connections on the 6i6.

For the MIDI connections, some go through the Focusrite - from my old Roland XP-60 - but my controller, a Nektar Panorama P4, sends MIDI through USB directly into the computer.

One of the nice things about the Panorama is that it has a single, 100mm motorized fader, so I can still do finer adjustments on it for tracks right on the controller.

The point is - you use an audio interface as your preamp for the signal, it converts the signal into 1s and 0s, and sends it into the DAW via USB.

That's it. That's all. Then it's on your track in your DAW, and you can mix it and edit it and put effects on it and whatever you want to do to it. If you have a controller like the Panorama, you can control almost everything in Reaper from it. And you can customize it to do certain things as well. It will do that not just with Reaper, but with all the major DAWs.

The last piece of my individual setup is a 30-something year old Mackie MS1202 micromixer, the original one. I use that for my monitor mixer, taking audio outputs from the Focusrite which are hooked up to my speakers. I also use this mixer for a few other things as well (like if I want to just sit down and play the XP-60).

The bigger point is that this no different than your 2480 except there are a few more connections made by a few more cables to a couple more devices. Everything that you do in the 2480 just lives in the computer.

For the millionth time, though - if you are, finally, at long last serious about this, you need a modern DAW, or at least to upgrade Reaper if you insist on continuing to use it (which I don't think you should). You are using a version of Reaper that is over 10 years old.

It's up to you, but I think something like Studio One from PreSonus is probably more your speed. More user friendly and intuitive, from what I can tell. More capabilities hard-wired into it out of the box. The beauty of Reaper is that you can customize it extensively, into exactly the workflow and system you want it to be. You are never, ever going to do that. If you don't do that, Reaper becomes more fiddly and frustrating to use and understand. Reaper appeals to certain types of users. You are really, truly not one of those users. Reaper is 100% the wrong choice for you.

None of this is any more complicated than what you already know, honestly. It just isn't.

Edited by flatcat (12/10/21 03:28 AM)

#1762157 - 12/10/21 03:52 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: flatcat]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

I do have interfaces ---got my first back in the 90's .... SEKD 24/96 ,

Understand that path ... our RME suits us fine,,,

Today was the very first time I created a actual
NEW track ~~ in REAPER.... THAAAAAAaT is a huge jump for me.

Tracked a bass along side a stereo mastered track,,,,, will see where that takes me. Would had been easier with a 40 in screen and control board mapped out perfectly!!!

REAPER is all I have known.... way more comfortable for me ...than sliding over to a new DAW. IF things aren't working...i have been able to trouble shoot my way out

And my second engineer knows it religiously {as well as PT ~ Logic /etc.}}

Edited by C Jo Go (12/10/21 03:59 AM)

#1762162 - 12/10/21 03:59 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
Loquacious Planeteer

I thought I noticed it was a little chilly in here.

Congratulations!

#1762184 - 12/10/21 05:12 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Look at the date on the video.

#1762188 - 12/10/21 05:36 AM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: Popmann]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Look at the date on the video.
Hey POPS >> Thats modern to me

#1762230 - 12/10/21 01:38 PM Re: Anyone had luck with this controller ?? [Re: C Jo Go]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

What's not?
Page 1 of 3 123>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159880 Topics
1850991 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.027 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.