Page 8 of 9 « First<56789>
Topic Options
#181986 - 08/08/03 10:00 AM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Hook Administrator Offline
Admin / Slacker
Planeteer

Loc: Mansfield, OH
OK, guys, the MP3 version is available for you to take a listen to.

www.ps139.com/vs/download.htm

maX,

Your backup had 2 sets of keyboard parts on them...tracks 3/4 and tracks 5/6. The parts on 5/6 seemed to distort a bit...so I used the ones from 3/4.

I was thinking that I'd only include tracks 3/4 on the backups that I send to everyone. Are you OK with this?

Everyone,

I've erased all the "extra" tracks that we had originally recorded...so Ryan, I only kept your track that you recommended. Mike, same thing...I only kept your vocal track that you recommended (the 2nd take). I've also erased my "commentary" tracks. I have, however, kept both of Des's bass tracks and my original drum tracks as well.

As long as everybody is cool with this, then I'll start making backup copies this weekend and get them out in the mail early next week (Des and maX, I'll FTP the hard drive files to the server).

The file size is currently around 350MB.

As for the mix I did to get the MP3, I had setup an Automix for everything from the last version (before the keys were added). That mix takes up all 6 tracks on one of my 880EXs. In order to "fly" maX's keyboard tracks, I loaded his 880 backup to another 880EX machine, and manually did some "track inserts" before his parts so that the audio lined up when the 2 880EXs were synced together. I also added a bit of compression and reverb to the keys...but this was only for the MP3. The backup I'll be sending out doesn't have any "added" effects to any tracks.

If I get the time this weekend, the other thing I want to do is edit out all the "clicks" on the hi-hat at the end of each chorus (which I did just to keep time for everyone else). If I don't get time, then it looks like everyone will have to take the time to edit them out when they do their mix (which isn't a bad thing...more practice on "editing", right? ;\) ).

Anyway, when I send out the backup, I'll include a track sheet and other notes that I have.

Take a listen to the MP3...this project has really been a great experience! Overall, this is one of the best recordings I've worked on/with. I raise a virtual toast to all you guys!

#181987 - 08/08/03 10:28 AM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Role65 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Ohio
Well This has been great fun always gives me a reason to check the planet daily, It's nice to have an excuse to be addicted, Now I have to consider going to meetings :p If you guys need any guitar work give me a shout. I'll to my best to work something out....Hey I feel a song comin on well I better go before i break into a chorus and an airguitar lead break..Thanks Des and Hook for makin it happen. AWESOME \:D
Ryan
P.S. Hook I'll email ya when I get those mics.

#181988 - 08/09/03 09:01 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Des Offline
Planeteer

Loc: South Euclid, OH
Fantastic Hook. Thanks so much for taking care of these back ups. I guess if I want to do this again I'm going to have to get a Roland compatable CDR!

maX-Nice work on those keys!

Hano-There's a lot going on in this song. I can't wait to hear how you give each instrument it's own voice.

All-Thanks again for making this happen. After you do your mix, I'll need you to send me an audio CD of your mix. I will put all the mixes onto one audio CD and send the final product out to you guys. I also plan on posting (at least Hano's "official" mix) on the Planet for others to finally hear.

If you need my mailing address, hit me with an email at tjdesmond@hotmail.com

Later...

--Des

#181989 - 08/09/03 10:02 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Hano Offline
Mr.
Planeteer

Loc: Belgium - E.U.
Hi Des,

And "all the others" who have contributed in this letter. You have all done a magnificent job, and I'm sure it was tempting to many others ..

This is not going to be an easy one to mix, for sure, in the way I have been observing this, and during all this time. I really like what all the players have done, both in good quality as in musical tentions, while they all lifted this song up, to what it is now.

I'm really enjoying the keys in there, and I'm glad I didn't push it aside, while I was scared it would not fit on a back-up CD anymore.

I will initialise my VS-880EX hard drive, as soon as Hook's data-CD comes in. I think that I am ready for it. I have written all my music data from the last 2 years to back-ups at home, to be ready. I got out of luck when the 2 bands I was in, have split just a little while ago. On the other hand that gives me more quality time to spend on these mixes. ;\) (ying & yang)

I want to say a very special word of thanks to Hook, who has been a real pillar in this project, and for this community of VS users.
And Des, no less, you may rest assured, that without you this whole thing would never have happened. And just take a look at what a thread man \:D

I'm very proud that I can take part in this. It's an honour to me. I hope that I can live upto some expectations. Just like you, I'm exited to start working on this, as I was from the beginning.

I'm angsiously waiting to get my hands on this.

Hano \:\)

#181990 - 08/09/03 10:17 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Des Offline
Planeteer

No doubt Hano. If Hook hadn't been so willing to be the "point man" creating and sending the back up discs, this project would have gone nowhere...

P.S. What's the current record for responses to a thread on the Planet ;\)

[ 08-09-2003: Message edited by: Des ]

--Des

#181991 - 08/11/03 10:56 AM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Hano Offline
Mr.
Planeteer

Not sure, Des,

Gotto' dig deep into my fading memory...
But I think it was never done before in this area. \:\)

I recall a pretty long thread about "who's stil around here", or somptin'
That was pretty long ... posted by Drumcat.

Another great "cat" by the way. ;\)

I'm listening to "A mans that's loving Wiskey" on the radio .. a cool & sad song ..

[ 08-11-2003: Message edited by: Hano ]

#181992 - 08/11/03 11:31 AM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Admin / Slacker
Planeteer

Guys,

OK, I've got backup copies ready to send out!

Hano,

I can't seem to find your address. If you (or anyone else) can email me your address, I'd appreciate it! Send the email to hook@vsplanet.com

I'm going to include a printout of the track sheet and the notes that I have. I'll also email this info to all you guys. The track sheet is in Excel format. If you don't have Excel, you can download a free Excel viewer from my Info page . Likewise, blank track sheets can be found there as well.

maX,

I've uploaded the SCSI-backup files to Des' server. I'm sure he'll let you know how to get them.

I think it's going to be really cool to see how each of us mixes this song! Be creative!

#181993 - 08/11/03 02:43 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Hano Offline
Mr.
Planeteer

Done ;\)
I've send you a mail Hook.
Thanks for the info .

#181994 - 08/11/03 02:48 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
maX Offline
Planeteer

Loc: San Antonio, TX usa
Thanks Hook.

Oh goody goody.

How many of us are trying to mix this piece?

maX

my IAC page: maXwells cafe

#181995 - 08/11/03 02:56 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Des Offline
Planeteer

maX,
When I get home today, I'll email you the host name, username and password to access the "song copy" files via my FTP server. Its about a 350 MB download, just so you know.

--Des

#181996 - 08/11/03 03:43 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Admin / Slacker
Planeteer

Quote:
Originally posted by maX:
Thanks Hook.

Oh goody goody.

How many of us are trying to mix this piece?

maX

I think everyone who participated wants to do their own mix. Hano's will be the "official" one that we'll post somewhere here on the Planet, but Des is going to gather everyone's mixes and send each of us a CD containing ALL the mixes.

Speaking of, I think we should put a timeframe on our own mixes. Des and I were thinking that everyone needs to get their final mix to Des by mid-September. That's gives all of us about a month to do our own mix. Hano may need a bit more time, depending on how fast the US Postal Service can get the CD to him. ;\)

It rained pretty hard during lunch today...so I'll get the CDs to the post office tomorrow!

#181997 - 08/12/03 01:39 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
maX Offline
Planeteer

Des -- thanks for the link. I've never done ftp before, but it looks pretty simple.

I'll try to download tonight.

maX

#181998 - 08/12/03 02:12 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Admin / Slacker
Planeteer

Mike, Ryan, and Hano,

Your CD's are in the mail. Hano, I sent the package AIR POST, and they said it should arrive in 4-7 days. Not bad...and it only cost $3 US!

#181999 - 08/12/03 09:40 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
MT1865 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Granger, IN
Thanks Hook, I look forward to getting it and working with it. I am in the middle of moving from Cass to Granger, Indiana. Just bought a house. I think I am going to do the move this Saturday, but the point is, I may or may not be able to get that mix done by mid-Sept. I am also going to Kentucky on the 22nd for my Granny's 90th birthday and staying a week to attend my 30th HS reunion the following Saturday. I will do what I can and will set up the "studio" in the basement pretty quickly, so I am at least guardedly optimistic. I look forwrd to getting the backup and hearing all y'all's mixes. Mike
#182000 - 08/13/03 12:38 AM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
maX Offline
Planeteer

Thanks Des & Hook - I think I got the fp download. I won't know for a few days when I can start mixing. At least all the files ported over.

maX

#182001 - 08/13/03 04:41 AM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Hano Offline
Mr.
Planeteer

Thanks Hook,

We might need some ONLINE sharing advsie (help) on the Second Musical chain letter, and we're stil on the look-out for a tight rythem guitarplayer, with a bad-ass sound .. ;\)

How can I send you a virtual beer? \:\)

PS: I updated my " Studio for hire " page.

[ 08-13-2003: Message edited by: Hano ]

#182002 - 08/13/03 09:42 AM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Admin / Slacker
Planeteer

Mike,

Hey man, get yourself moved in and get the family situated...the mix can always wait. When you get it done, you get it done. Honestly, I said 1 month just to see how people reacted...so if it takes someone more than that, it's cool! The big thing is that Des is going to put everyone's mix on a CD, and then each of us will be getting a copy of that CD. I just didn't want to not have an end-point for it.

Hope the move goes well...tell Granny Happy Birthday from us...and at the HS Reunion, brag about this big international musical collaboration project you're working on! \:D

maX,

Glad you were able to get the files! Thanks again to Des for getting that web server space! \:\)

Hano,

I've been watching the "Second Musical Chain Letter" thread...seems like you guys are well on your way! Let me know if I can help out with anything on the technical side...

Here's a virtual beer to you!

#182003 - 08/13/03 10:44 AM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Des Offline
Planeteer

Yeah, Mike. No pressure. We'll just fire your ass like we did maX if you're late ;\)

I don't want to leave out anyone's mixes on the final audio CD, so I'll wait to get them all before sending them back out to you guys.

Rock on!

--Des

#182004 - 08/14/03 01:33 AM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
MT1865 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Granger, IN
Thanks Guys, I am really honored to have been a part of this and i really am looking forward to seeing the end result. I am looking for that Back up disc. It may have com today, but I am getting home so late, I didn't even check the mail. MT
#182005 - 08/15/03 04:57 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Role65 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Ohio
Hey,
thanks for the disc can't wait. I think I might try making this an instrumental by using the other two guitar tracks I still have recorded on my machine. I thought it would be cool since everyone else is doing a traditional mix. No offense Max i loved the vox, just thought it would be different from everyone else's. But I promise i will not add any new guitar just from the three tracks i already recorded that are on my machine.This should be fun, and gives me another project to submitt when I startmy quest to become a session guitarist. I think it's an impossible task, but I have to try \:\)
Ryan

#182006 - 08/15/03 05:57 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Des Offline
Planeteer

Ryan,
Great idea! It will be fun to have mixes that are slightly different. I may do a "bare bones" mix too, we'll see what inspires me.

--Des

#182007 - 08/19/03 01:55 AM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Hano_dup1 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 45
Planeteer/Artist # 45

Loc: Leuven - Belgium - E.U.
The Back-UP has arrived in Belgium ..
Thanks Hook. More later .. \:\)

#182008 - 08/19/03 06:39 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Hano_dup1 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 45
Planeteer/Artist # 45

I erased all my 12 songs from IDE III.
Then I have launched the CD recovery,
and it looks like that might take a while to load it all in .. after 10 minutes or so, it's at 19% .. more later .. ;\)

Q: Can one put the CD spead higher for recovery too ? I never tried that, just wondered ..

#182009 - 08/19/03 07:07 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Hano_dup1 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 45
Planeteer/Artist # 45

HELP ... I think I have problem ...

My recorder just asked me to insert disk 2.
I don't have disk 2 .. This is not good .. :rolleyes:
Not good .. \:\(

#182010 - 08/19/03 08:17 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Admin / Slacker
Planeteer

Hano,

No, that's definately NOT good.

If you hit NO when it asks for the second disc, it should abort the process.

Maybe try again.

Yes, you can change the recover speed...use the parameter buttons to change the speed to whatever the fastest shows.

#182011 - 08/20/03 04:45 AM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Hano Offline
Mr.
Planeteer

Hi Hook,

I cancelled to operation and,
I lauched it again at 8x speed ... when is was done for 99% it stopped again, and asked to insert disk 2. It won't work.

Has anyone else got this problem?

I assume it's related to a back-up disk that was made 'before' the optimising and that erasing of a few tracks.(the clean-up that you mentioned.)
So far, and after two tries, I have no luck.
What happened during the making of back-up's?
Could mine be a disk that had an error?

#182012 - 08/20/03 08:47 AM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Admin / Slacker
Planeteer

Hano,

Let me try to recover the song using my backup disc (yes, I made one for myself). If it works, I'll just send it via the mail again.

Not sure why yours isn't working, but if it's a bad backup disc, I'll just send you another one!

#182013 - 08/20/03 02:07 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Hano_dup1 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 45
Planeteer/Artist # 45

I have made a recent back-up of all my 4 IDE's.
When I backed up IDE III, in witch I tried to reload this project it asked me for 2 CD's.
I used CD Recovery to load this project. This CD is new to the recorder.
Maybe I can try to load it into another partition.
When I recently backed up, IDE 0 only needed one CD to back-up. I hope that the memory is not confused. Maybe some cache memory is offering this needless information. But I think it's something else (see in your mail Hook)

I'll do a System Drive check, and I'll see if anything else could be read wrong ..

[ 08-20-2003: Message edited by: Hano ]

#182014 - 08/20/03 03:00 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Admin / Slacker
Planeteer

Hano,

See if you can restore anything that you have backed up. If that works, then it must be some type of problem with the disc I sent you.

Tonight, I'm going to CD-Recover the song on my machine using the backup that I have. Assuming that works, I'll send you that backup in the mail tomorrow.

Sorry you're having problems...this is supposed to be fun!

#182015 - 08/20/03 03:08 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Des Offline
Planeteer

Hook,
Thanks for helping out Hano. I feel pretty useless at this point without a CD burner.

Thanks!

--Des

#182016 - 08/20/03 04:27 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Admin / Slacker
Planeteer

Quote:
Originally posted by Des:
I feel pretty useless at this point without a CD burner.

That may be changing soon ;\)

#182017 - 08/20/03 04:31 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Des Offline
Planeteer

Oh you tease ;\)

--Des

#182018 - 08/20/03 05:10 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Hano Offline
Mr.
Planeteer

Hey Des,

I'm just very glad that you made this users area so ALIVE with your great inititives.
Just imagine how uselss we'ld be without your ideas a dreams ;\)

OK, SAY IT.
&
&
&
&
"YOU GUYS ROCK" \:D \:D \:D

#182019 - 08/21/03 08:58 AM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Admin / Slacker
Planeteer

Hano,

I recovered the song using the backup CD that I had...it worked fine. So, I'm sending you that CD today. \:D

#182020 - 08/21/03 03:41 PM Re: A VS musical chain letter?
Hano_dup1 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 45
Planeteer/Artist # 45

Thanks for making that magic happen Hook.

Dear Des,
It looks like your thread is INDEED the longest EVER on this users area, and in VS-Planet history.., and for as long as I have seen \:\)

My congratulations to "all of you" who have been here, and at it ..

Hano \:D

Page 8 of 9 « First<56789>

Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Marty Gilman) and 111 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Jazzooo
Al
Silversmith
Timster
Tom Mix
NOK
Popmann
gonzo
Ismellelephant
Mooseboy
Doughboy
moontan
flatcat
paulb
C Jo Go
RGR
Marty Gilman
fabulousthunderbird
fonts
Gretsch 6120
vvvm
String Jammer
glensimonds
Vanillagrits
T57Strat
GAMBLE
Jammer
SteveW
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
JazAddict
Delso
LakeStone Karl
Liquidirt
Dave Morris
Dan Barnes
virtualan
kid-surf
Forum Stats
20862 Members
29 Forums
136059 Topics
1567005 Posts

Max Online: 226 @ 03/21/16 07:30 AM
Newest Members
DjSabzi, Bravura, dave11222, GerryDev, JOHNCARLOBELLOTTI
20862 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.