Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1819871 - 11/07/22 06:56 PM Exporting Wav Files from 2480
CRV Offline
Planeteer

Loc: St. Paul Alberta, Canada
I have loved my roland 2480 for 17 years but it has given me trouble in the last few years. Bought a couple of others and they are giving me trouble as well so I've had to move onto a computer based software, Logic to be exact. I'm trying to export the wav files from the 2480 with cd rewritables and have had great success for 100s of songs but now it is quite finnicky. The tray opens up and I put the cd into the computer and the computer wont read the disc. I've tried multiple cd-rw and all the same story. So I export with a cd-r and it works fine. Any idea why it has stopped exporting to cd-rw?

#1819902 - 11/07/22 09:27 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: CRV]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
When was the last time you ran a cd/dvd cleaning disc in either or both drives? That can make a noticeable difference sometimes.

Could it be also, that your cd-rw discs have been written to (and erased) too many times?.....

#1819921 - 11/07/22 10:46 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: uptildawn]
CRV Offline
Planeteer

I'm trying used cd-rw and also new ones. I haven't cleaned the drive. Not sure if I even have a CD cleaner anymore?

#1819974 - 11/08/22 10:49 AM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: CRV]
Catweazle Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Stockholm Sweden
If the export and burning of CD's are completed without "Operation Failed"
message from the VS-2480, then the problem probably is with your PC and
you're in the wrong forum \:D

Cheers !

Edited by Catweazle (11/08/22 10:53 AM)

#1820001 - 11/08/22 05:54 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: Catweazle]
michaelsteele Offline
Planeteer

if the export process is working with CD-R's,then do your
exporting with CD-R's. what does it matter which media
you use as long as it works.

Myke

#1820009 - 11/08/22 08:02 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: michaelsteele]
CRV Offline
Planeteer

I have about 1000 songs to export and with the VS2480 only allowing to export 1 song at a time, the process is long. Years worth of work really. I know it's not an overnight job. I've been exporting the wav files since 2020 and now we're getting awfully close to 2023. I still have about 300 songs to go. So when the cd-rw was working, it was great. I'm saving money. I'm now doing it on CD-Rs so it is make a cd and throw it away, at least 300 more times.

It's not my PC, I use a MacPro. It's a great studio grade computer. It's the 2480 that isn't writing to cd-rw anymore, for some odd reason. Anyways I was wondering if anyone else might have run into this problem. Thanks for all the comments, it is much appreciated. I'll tell you I loved my roland units. I had 2 1680s and then bought the 2480 in 2004. I then bought 2 more 2480s just so I would have spares in case one faultered. They have all now faultered but I'm making out ok with my Logic pro now and I just wanted to save all my roland files as wavs, just in case I ever need to access those files again...

#1820021 - 11/08/22 09:45 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: CRV]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Understand what you're going through.
Just don't discount the possibility of any drives and/or discs being the culprit. Yes, it may very well be the VS, but it might be the mac's optical drive, too... It might be worth your time and the relatively small cost to get ahold of a cd/dvd cleaning disc to run through both drives multiple times.

#1820139 - 11/09/22 03:26 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: uptildawn]
CRV Offline
Planeteer

I've tried importing the files on 3 different macs and also 1 pc. Same result every time.

#1820803 - 11/14/22 09:26 AM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: CRV]
irpacynot Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Calhoun, Ga (USA)
If you only have one track you want to CD-Write, do you still have to bounce it first to two tracks?

"It's like the sweet air of Springtime - the wind will carry your load."

- Tony Capri (Gently Warms)

#1820882 - 11/14/22 10:51 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: irpacynot]
March Offline
Planeteer

Loc: IA
Well, typically the machine gives you two tracks, Right and Left, in stereo, as a result of Mastering. If you have recorded only one track and you master it, you will obtain two--but why bother?
I think that a CD reader will look for two: right and left. They may well be equal as a result of bouncing one. But why would you want to burn only one track on a CD and play it back?

#1820948 - 11/15/22 03:22 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: March]
CRV Offline
Planeteer

Has anybody used the VirDis system for exporting Wav files? I have found one on the internet and very excited to read what it is capable of. Is anyone familiar with this system and if so, how did it work for you

#1821044 - 11/16/22 04:56 AM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: CRV]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
I have been using VIRDIS....many years... If you contact Bill ---sure he can explain the procedure.

#1821109 - 11/16/22 09:13 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: CRV]
FalconEddy Offline
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Loc: Litchfield, NH, USA
Cal,

There are several reasons this may be happening, but you and I need to establish a dialog first in order to gain some details that will be critical to a proper diagnosis.

!) What brand are the CD-RW's?

2) How old are the CD-RW's

3) Are the clear surfaces clean/clear without scratches/fingerprints?

4) Is the CD-R/CD-RW burner itself EXTERNAL, or INTERNAL to the VS-2480? If EXTERNAL, what make & model is it?

5) Is the burner an INTERNAL CD-R/CD-RW/DVD+R combo burner? (I'm speculating no.)

6) What are the error messages when attempting to burn on a CD-RW disc?

Answers to these questions should help to clear up several unknowns, and start moving forward on your issue.

One of the MOST common problems is when a burner doesn't like the 'color' of the medium it's attempting to read. If it cannot read that a disc is present, it obviously will NOT be able to burn to it.

This is because the GaAs (gallium arsenide) laser used for reading and writing the disc needs to be able to focus on it by slowly moving towards & away from it using a beam of light to calculate the correct distance. If it is unable to gather this data, it will not 'prove out' and the subroutine quickly ends.

The laser is encased within magnetic material that's suspended in place within a larger magnet, with tiny rubber bands holding it exactly in the center. The laser itself has wire leads coming from it for the read/write signals, as required.

The larger magnet is responsible for focusing the laser by auto-adjustment of + and - voltage to bring it closer & further away from the disc until the laser data comes back as 'focused'. It is at THAT point the end user will have the options for burning, erasing, or reading a previously burned disc.

. . Falcon

#1821343 - 11/18/22 12:10 AM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: FalconEddy]
CRV Offline
Planeteer

I can tell you that for years I used pretty much any cd-r and they all worked. Now it seems that the only cd-r it will write to is the Staples Brand. I've tried writing to verbatim and many others the last 3 months with no luck but staples cd-rs work.

I was using verbatim cd-rw for about 1 year and then they stopped working. Brand new ones never before used. Then tried a few others with no luck and then bought Staples cd-rw and they worked for about the last year. One day recently, no more writing to the staples cd-rw either. Brand new cd-rw. I bought 10 new ones and each of them no work. I get the message that says Operation failed.

So I'm burning 1 cd at a time now on staples cd-r and it's working but it takes about 20 minutes to export 1 song a cd-r.

I have the roland vs2480 dvd model and also a cd model. The cd model burner stopped working all together. That machine says there's no drive, even though it worked for years. I also have a Song Vault DVD that I bought from Brett Lacroix. It worked for years and it to has stopped working. I suspect it's my 2480 that has caused it to stop working? The 2480 DVD is still writing the the staples cd-r for now. I'm hoping it will get me through the next 400-500 songs. I have a long road ahead of me. I wish someone close to me had a virdis rig. I'd give that a try.

Edited by CRV (11/18/22 01:35 AM)

#1821411 - 11/18/22 04:01 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: CRV]
calypso Offline
Planeteer

Loc: mid-Missouri
I'm no expert, but the history you describe sounds like the optical drive is failing. It can be replaced.

I don't think the machine part that just creates the files (before the write laser) would care about the brand of media. But the strength and accuracy of the laser could be deteriorating to the point that only certain batches of discs will work.

some music here:
soundcloud
bandcamp
spotify

#1821835 - 11/21/22 06:50 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: calypso]
CRV Offline
Planeteer

You could be right. It's been frustrating. I loved my 2480s. I owned 3 of them and I experienced the same problem with each of them, all around the sake time. Very strange. Anyways thanks for your comments. It is much appreciated.

#1821924 - 11/22/22 06:07 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: CRV]
FalconEddy Offline
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Cal,

Did any of your equipment happen to get zapped during a lightening storm?

Short of THAT scenario, you COULD have issues with the combo burner itself. I've had MY external CD-R burner for the past 21 years, and it's JUST started getting 'glitchy' every once in a while when attempting to READ a disc. Burning them is still fine. It's a Plextor model PX-R820T.

Just curious...have you attempted burning to DVD-RW discs??

THOSE may be impossible since most of them utilize a very dark blue colored media for burning. The Staples CD-R's & -RW's are what I've been using for YEARS & YEARS for transfers without issues.

Obviously, I do NOT have the VS-2480-DVD unit. \:\)

Have you attempted running any of the built-in tests the VS-2480 allows you to perform?

DISCLAIMER: I'M IN NO WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM TELLING YOU TO DO THIS...I'M SIMPLY INQUIRING IF YOU HAVE, SINCE IT WOULD FORMAT YOUR DRIVE, OR DO OTHER REALLY NASTY THINGS IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

ALSO, have you tried something as simple as changing the SCSI ID number for your Song Vault to see if it will become operational again. Or, is the SCSI ID recognized at boot time, but the Song Vault just doesn't function any longer?

Let's ALSO check for MORE functionality of your combo burner, ok?

Put in a standard mass-produced CD that you purchased somewhere off the shelf, go to the CD-RW MASTERING pull down menu, and select CD PLAYER.

Keep the Master Fader down around -12dB as this controls the volume level.

When the screen comes up, select one of the tracks listed on the CD on the right, then press the PLAY button on the VS-2480.

We just want to be sure it plays mass-produced Redbook standard CD's alright.

. . Falcon

#1821959 - 11/22/22 07:39 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: FalconEddy]
CRV Offline
Planeteer

Some good suggestions here that I will try. Thank you. I've always had the 2480 plugged into a Belkin Backup Battery power conditioner. I think it's just age and plenty of use but anything could be possible.

It looks like I have 3 more albums to go for exporting wav files. The staples cd-r's are working fine on this 2480 so I wthink I'll keep exporting as I am and when I get finished, I'll run some tests. I sure don't want to mess anything up that's working right now.

#1822397 - 11/26/22 03:46 PM Re: Exporting Wav Files from 2480 [Re: CRV]
FalconEddy Offline
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: CRV
Some good suggestions here that I will try. Thank you. I've always had the 2480 plugged into a Belkin Backup Battery power conditioner. I think it's just age and plenty of use but anything could be possible.

It looks like I have 3 more albums to go for exporting wav files. The staples cd-r's are working fine on this 2480 so I wthink I'll keep exporting as I am and when I get finished, I'll run some tests. I sure don't want to mess anything up that's working right now.

Hey Cal, when in doubt, and things are working, using the 'belt AND suspenders' technique is the safest method.

Get thru the 100 miles of flat land travel before jumping any more 8' hurdles, or fighting thru a plethora of thorny briar wood patches.

Sure, CD-R's cost a tad more, but if they get you to the desired result...so be it. If things go totally belly-up for you (hopefully NOT), you can always send me a private message here thru the VS Planet.

Best of Luck on this project.

. . Falcon

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849693 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.023 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.