Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Topic Options
#219205 - 12/12/04 01:52 AM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
billbuxton Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Sheffield UK
I've uploaded a first mix of my real version of Another Day, under the title Tami_Guy_BuxtonsBritrock. It's a couple of minutes longer than the original. Sorry, but I'm a SENSITIVE ARTIST and I had to express myself. Hope y'all like it.

You brainy math boys, I think I have a little programme somewhere that does some of that math for you. I'll look for it.

Den - I'm a complete new starter with html - how do you add to the file?

#219206 - 12/12/04 02:01 AM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
billbuxton Offline
Planeteer

Sorry, forgot the link for my song

http://helserj.temp.powweb.com/vs840/songs/TamiSong/Tami_Guy_BillBuxtonsBritrock.mp3

Here;s another link for that calculator. It's actually for sampler users, but is useful for other stuff eg if you want to get the rate of a flanger in time with your music.

http://mp3.deepsound.net/eng/samples_calculs.php

#219207 - 12/12/04 02:37 AM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
drhek2004 Offline
Planeteer

Guy,
Just downloaded your rock take and gonna listen to it 1st thing when I get home tonight. Looking forward to it.

You can open it in notepad if you like and just copy and paste one of the previous lines in it, substituting my info with yours. If you have any problems, just email me the file name and details about it to drhek2001@yahoo.com and Ill be more than happy to add it in.

Den

#219208 - 12/12/04 03:57 AM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
Bassmusician Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 184
Planeteer

Loc: St Louis area
Guy,
I got it downloadin right now man. I gigged last night, and am just sort of re-cooping today, and if I can get the net long enough, I'll get it downloaded, seems to download faster from Jacks site than those other ones.
Had a really great gig last night, Hats off to Jeff, he rocked for not playing in so long, I wish I'd have taken the 840 and got a cheezy board recording, man I BLASTED out the lyrics to "War Pigs" the crowd went wild, and I suprised myself, after this pnemonia bout, I dint know if I could pull it off or not, but I have to pat myself on the back, now if I could only play the Bassline like Geezer Butler...lol... I totally simplify it so I can sing, (thats a good reason to say that I simplify it, fact is, I'm no Geezer on da Bass... ;\)
Jack

Never argue with an Ignorant person. They will just reduce you to their level and you can never win, because they have so much more experience than you!

#219209 - 12/12/04 05:02 AM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
billbuxton Offline
Planeteer

Glad to hear you're back on form Jack. I've taken some liberties with Tami's vocal, hope she doesn't mind. I'm going to have to redo some things and add some more guitars. But I'd been at it for 2 full days, thought I'd get some feedback.

#219210 - 12/12/04 05:19 AM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
drhek2004 Offline
Planeteer

Oh Guy, You are a freakin' genius!! I just love your version of the tune!!! I am totally speechless.

I added your entries to the index file. Also, I change the name so it will always be at the top of the list.

http://helserj.temp.powweb.com/vs840/songs/TamiSong/!!!TamiSong_Index!!!.htm

Den

#219211 - 12/12/04 05:58 AM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
John444 Offline
Planeteer

I put an official 'index.html' in there that will come up automatically, with Bill / Guy's entry. I used yours Den, and did a make from, pasting typical html start and end file stuff, and used an index created from WS-FTPLE to generate the file list. Also put a return to PARENT INDEX in there. I think I'll put up index for the other 2 song directories - and may re-name the other directories or tamisong directory so it is consistent. The other directories, by our names, don't need an index - the but the 3 song directories seem like they're more for completed works? Will get it figured out. Perhaps after more eggnog.

Thanks for the help Den.

Guy - that song of yours is SUCH a kick! Monster build up to complete face-busting fun. ;\)

Loved it man!

Jack

#219212 - 12/12/04 09:59 AM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
drhek2004 Offline
Planeteer

No problem Jack. It does make alot more sense doing it the way you did it. I was one-eyeing it when I did mine \:D

Den

#219213 - 12/12/04 12:07 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
billbuxton Offline
Planeteer

Thanks for the compliments chaps. The intro was meant to be 30 secs, but I put in 60 bars instead of 60 beats! Mind you, she has such a lovely clear voice I could have gone on and on with that filmic stuff. There's more to life than cutting and pasting though. If I'd put that time into rehearsing the mandolin I wouldn't be quite so embarrassed this morning.

Jack - thanks for the bass and drums, I never used them in the end. Couldn't get them to sync, and decided it was quicker to buckle down and do my own thang. Shall I delete them from the Tami folder now? Thanks to you and Den both for sorting out that index. Do you actually have to do all that >rgrew20%fart20%^< type stuff yourself when you do html?

#219214 - 12/12/04 12:12 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
billbuxton Offline
Planeteer

Do you guys know what a Bodhran is? It's a kind of Irish hand drum. I've been looking on the net for samples - I really wanted it to go with the mandolins on that track but had to make do with spoons.

#219215 - 12/12/04 12:49 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
drhek2004 Offline
Planeteer

Guy, the mandolin playing sounded great to me; As did the whole tune.

Actually, the server put those 20%s in when I copied the URLs. I think they do that for any files that have spaces in the file name.

The only sample I found so far for that drum is this. Maybe you can crop out some hits.

http://www.mid-east.com/Sounds/btwr.wav

Den

#219216 - 12/12/04 12:58 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
billbuxton Offline
Planeteer

Thanks Den - that's a great sample. I can see I'll be doing some maths

#219217 - 12/12/04 01:11 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
jim y Offline
Planeteer

Guy, I'd get a real Bodhran (most people pronounce it "Bore-ran" for those not familiar).

I've got a couple I could sample for you, but there are so many different tones from the things, you'd really want to capture a particular type of hit to suit the tune.

The time is surely coming where we can each put a CD together with the "hi-fi" versions of our efforts and share them around. This would also be a good opportunity to exchange any samples, soundfonts and such anybody requires.

Bronwen just bought a large Bodhran off e-bay, nice, deep martial tone. Only pity is it has tacky-fake celtic artwork on it. I'm told you cannot remove it without damaging the skin.

On the last page of the thread, Jack444 spoke of BPM calculation. Maybe this deserves its own thread, so I'll start one. Then I'd better have another go at catching up with all that tunage!

#219218 - 12/12/04 01:17 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
jim y Offline
Planeteer

Oh yeh, having said I couldn't see my way to contributing a Remembrance Day tune, ideas have suddenly sprung forth and I'm jotting down ideas at odd moments. Be warned that it seems to be taking a "prog-rock" turn with different sections, 5 of them so far. It's anyones guess if it makes it into a finished piece!
#219219 - 12/12/04 05:46 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
billbuxton Offline
Planeteer

That should take a while to upload Jim!

#219220 - 12/12/04 05:52 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
John444 Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
Originally posted by billbuxton:
Do you actually have to do all that >rgrew20%fart20%^< type stuff yourself ...
Any 'farts' in my music, are purely by accident.

Though I must say Guy, I'm very impressed with your hearing. When recording, once in a great while, I let off a "one cheek sneak" - previously they were inaudible in my recordings because I was using a fabric-covered chair. But now that I'm using a vinyl covered chair, there are indeed some reverberations.

I usually tell people it's a zither.

;\) \:D

#219221 - 12/12/04 07:03 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
Bassmusician Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 184
Planeteer

Loc: St Louis area
Ok,
I think I've downloaded and listened to all the takes on Tami's song. I have to say that they are all fantastic!!
I really dug Den's "Hard Rock" Take on it of coarse.
I liked Jacks new verson with "Less Verb", thats just me though, when I first got into "Multi Tracking" my mentaur, the guy who also taught me how to play Bass, told me that all songs have "some" reverb, but that a little bit goes a longgggg way, I know I have been guilty of using it way too heavy at times, but these days, I just use the Roland presets.

I really dug the guitar parts that Mark added to it, made it sound alot brighter and bouncier, of coarse Mark is an awesome guitar player, for some odd reason, on my version, theres like 1 minute and 40 seconds of silence at the end? I can crop that out in Magix though, awesome job Mark!!

I really dug what Bert added to Jacks version, just wish it was added to the one with less verb, but awesome job there Bert!!! Filled it out alot.

I thought OleBillBuxtons Boogie was really cool, but I have to say, and no offence to anyone here, my fav was:

"BillBuxtonsBritrock" I think it's because Guy seems to have slowed the tempo a tad? and the way he cut parts of the vocals and pasted um here and there, way cool effect!! that one thing she did, the arghhhhhhh was actually a mistake that she said to leave in there cause it sounded kinda cool, and I liked the way Guy used that on it too.
Plus the cool instruments, thats a Mandolin huh? At one point I thought I heard a Sitar in there. In anycase it rocks!

Please dont take offence anyone, I thought ALL takes were better than the one I did, I thought they were all "Radio Worthy" I guess we all just have to have a fav huh? I'm sure Tami is down there in GA all bigheaded at how cool all these takes on her tune is.
Thanks everyone, and feel free to do more if desired.
Myself, I'm off to try and install my Jaz drive and get a cool Bass line for Jacks tune, and maybe try once again to get my Remberance Day song going, I am just really drawing a blank on that tune, I have written and thrown away so many lyrics its unreal on that one..lol...maybe I should do the melody first thing on it?
Hope all are well!
Jack

Never argue with an Ignorant person. They will just reduce you to their level and you can never win, because they have so much more experience than you!

#219222 - 12/12/04 07:13 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
billbuxton Offline
Planeteer

I've done a rockier remix with what mark calls a wanker solo and one or two other additions:

https://webftp.powweb.com/download.cgi?filename=Tami__Guy_BritrockRoastbeefMix.mp3

A bit more Thin Lizzy perhaps?

Jim - I could never get the hang of playing the Bodhran. Someone told me to think of wanking, but if you listen to my wanker solos you'll appreciate that I've never become that skilled at it, despite years of practice.

#219223 - 12/12/04 08:01 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
John444 Offline
Planeteer

http://helserj.temp.powweb.com/vs840/songs/TamiSong/Tami__Guy_BritrockRoastbeefMix.mp3

LINK for Guy's new tune.

;\)

Guy, does the link you are using work from your PC? I wonder if it's because you have a cookie enabled or something that it works? The link doesn't work from here - I have to use the address above to get it to work.

It's been added to the index already.

Jack

#219224 - 12/12/04 09:26 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
drhek2004 Offline
Planeteer

I really dig it, Guy. Sounds great. You did exactly what I wanted to do with my soloing at the end of the tune. I wanted them more in the background like that.

Den

#219225 - 12/12/04 10:23 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
spillgutMJ Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Madison Wi,53716
I have another take up, this time riding John444s coat tails, as usual it seems. I absolutely LOVE this song!!!!!!!!!!

"So many times you practice in your mirror- to be just like me- but you just can’t see...
YOU AINT' GOT THE BALLS, son..." -

#219226 - 12/12/04 10:52 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
John444 Offline
Planeteer

LINK to Mark's version.

http://helserj.temp.powweb.com/vs840/songs/TamiSong/tami_444_mark.mp3

Mark - am I hearing overtones in the first minute, or did you do some double-lead - at about the 45 second mark? Your opening lead reminds me a bit of the Boston UFO album ... ;\)

Jack

#219227 - 12/13/04 01:29 AM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
billbuxton Offline
Planeteer

JackH - I just right clicked and clicked on Copy Shortcut, but you're right it don't work. Tell me how to make workable links please.

JackP - thanks for the compliments. That whole intro was a chance thing - I was desperate to record the mandolin but it was early in the morning, so I put my headphones on and started messing around with soundforge. It's all still 120bpm. The only way I played with timing was to pull the snare part forward a few clicks to drive the beat better in the main song.

Personally I really love all the versions. I have them all lined up in my mp3 player. As each one comes on I think Wow! that's brilliant. I guess the truth is we all had great material to start with. Tami has a great voice which soars above any mix. Please thank her for giving us the opportunity to "produce" her. Oh, and download my Roast Beef mix, I think you'll like it. It's, well, beefier.

#219228 - 12/13/04 06:49 AM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
drhek2004 Offline
Planeteer

Guy, I agree. I really like all the versions as well. Who wouldve thought that 1 vocal melody could inspire so many great ideas \:\)
#219229 - 12/13/04 02:14 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
spillgutMJ Offline
Planeteer

Guy, that latest take of yours is WAY trippy, really cool. Yeah its wierd how inspiration can strike so differently!! Great job to all!!!

Mark

"So many times you practice in your mirror- to be just like me- but you just can’t see...

#219230 - 12/13/04 03:46 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
spillgutMJ Offline
Planeteer

WOW, I just listened to my latest take, the one with 444s music. Man you guys can delete that right now!!! LOL That solo at the end I played is LAME!!! You must forgive me as I did it while I was gearing up for the Packers football game. While Im gearing up, it usually includes a six pack of beer. I thought it sounded great yesterday. Its pretty amazing how 3 or 4 beers can affect your playing. A lesson to all the kids out there....Beer & wah pedals do not mix!!
Sorry again for the ear-sore!!

#219231 - 12/13/04 04:26 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
billbuxton Offline
Planeteer

Thanks Mark - did you spot the backwards guitar?Let us know when you've got that solo fixed - I was just about to catch up on downloading. My wife said the exact same thing last night about playing the banjo after a couple of whiskies.

Did you folks read JimY's suggestion on one of the other threads about putting a CD together? I think it would be a good idea. From a personal standpoint it would force me to either tidy up some of the messy bits in my songs or else get one of you guys to play what I can't.

#219232 - 12/13/04 05:13 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
John444 Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
JackH - I just right clicked and clicked on Copy Shortcut, but you're right it don't work. Tell me how to make workable links please.
Guy,

There are 2 different addressing methods. For you guys with upload permission and folders, you use that FTP program, or the login info I sent you to upload/download.

For folks who just want to listen to the songs / navigate the song directories, the basic link is:

http://helserj.temp.powweb.com/vs840/songs/

You then add the specific song directory, like

TamiSong

Becomes: http://helserj.temp.powweb.com/vs840/songs/TamiSong/

That ought to do it. ;\)

Jack

#219233 - 12/13/04 05:28 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
John444 Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
Did you folks read JimY's suggestion on one of the other threads about putting a CD together?
I'd wanna re-do some stuff - everything I've been doing is on the quick / one take mistakes and all. It would be fun to do though.

So, what's the name of our virtual group?

8fourDs
Eight4Ds
Ate4Ds
Geezers With Ear Hair
The Unsupported and Obsolete
Yangtson CanaBrits

?

We willing to pitch some disks back and forth via snail mail to get the better fidelity? I'd commit some of my 'mad money' to the project.

;\)

#219234 - 12/13/04 05:49 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
billbuxton Offline
Planeteer

Jack - thanks for the advice. As for the virtual band, I'd be willing to go the snail mail route myself.

#219235 - 12/13/04 05:52 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
jim y Offline
Planeteer

Snail-mail isn't too expensive - but then again it ain't nothing, but I guess only one set of copies needs to find it's way across the ponds and/or borders. If we use a DVD-r, everything will fit on one disk and one person with the facilities can produce the DVD-r from his fellow countrymens Cd's and also deal with the distribution of that recieved from abroad, posssibly having to produce a set of Cd-rs for anyone not having a DVD reader.

Once everybody has finished polishing their work (and we'll have to impose some sort of cut-off date so the perfectionists amongst us don't take forever!), we go thru distribution again only this time everybody ends up with the Perfect comp.

I suppose Guy and I can fight over the job over here!

Actually, Jack (Bass) may hold some sort of record for the number of CD's mailed in one jewel-case. Along the lines of "how many people can get in a phone box" or an Austin Mini.

I like "Unsupported and Obsolete" a lot Jack.

#219236 - 12/13/04 06:37 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
spillgutMJ Offline
Planeteer

Id be so proud to put a cd together as long as all you wonderful & gifted musicians names were somewhere in the vacinity of mine. A player is as good as the musicians he\her surrounds themselves with.

#219237 - 12/13/04 07:23 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
billbuxton Offline
Planeteer

Are we a bit at cross purposes here? I think Jim's suggesting we each make a cd to send to everyone else, possibly centrally compiled to DVD-r. But I think JackH is talking about producing a CD collectively by pooling our talents. Or is it just my imagination? I'm up for either - good excuse to splash out on a dvd recorder I guess

#219238 - 12/13/04 07:27 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
bert Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Parsippany, NJ
I in too. Once I get settled here.

Mark, lead sounds good to me. I wish I could be play lead half as good.

Like both new version from mark and guy. Just check in and had a listen.

Cool mix guy.

Bass, when the dust settles here, I'll redo. It was a quicky to give an idea. I used Jacks cause it had the beat and rythym I was looking for without spending much time. Thanks for letting me hack your version Jack. You are so kind \:\)

bert
guitar - Dave and Bert
Bass - Bert
Produced and Recorded - Bert
Drums - Programmed so far

#219239 - 12/13/04 07:37 PM Re: a Challenge for my friends, and anyone who may want to give it a Whirl
spillgutMJ Offline
Planeteer

I put up a different take with 444s & Tamis music & my crap across the top. Im thinking this song does not need a guitar solo, unless Im just not finding where one would go....I dunno. Im not a huge fan of "solos". In the end Ill be the first to admit that the song must dictate the direction of any "soloist". I might just suck too, thats always a possibility!!!! LOL

Page 3 of 5 <12345>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159752 Topics
1849609 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.027 seconds in which 0.005 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.