Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#448120 - 11/20/02 01:10 PM 3.5 Floppy Disk Drive Roland XP-80
congalocke Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Bellevue, WA
I just wanted to post and talk about the Roland Floppy Disk Drive that went bad in my XP-80 Keyboard. I am hoping that this info will help somebody else out!

I did some searches on Google and the planet and did not come up with anything conclusive but here is my experience. Again these are not my instructions on a how to...I don't want to be held responsible...I just think that it is outrageous what Roland charges for parts and service. I heard that the floppy alone is upwards of $100.00 getting it thru Roland. I did not check myself...I just went headlong into it.

The drive in my XP-80 stopped reading data on the floppy's even though I new there was stuff's on there.

I flipped it over and undid all the screws on the bottom.
I took the lid off and there to the left was a rectangular piece of silver shielding over the Disk Drive. I undid the four screws (trying to keep in mind the grounding wire for when I put it all back together)
I took the shielding off and than undid the screws that held the Disk Drive to.....rails...that it was attatched to.
I than had to undo the "rails" to get it out so if I ever had to do it again I would probably undo the "rails" from the chassis first.

After it was all out I flipped over the drive and saw it to be a Sony MPF 520-C

I searched for a bit of time and found that Disk Drive for no less than $75.00.

This morning I called around and could not find anybody stocking that model here in Bellevue.

I went to a computer store and the kid behind the counter handed me a $16.00 Teac.

The model number was FD 235-HF (I think, sorry!)

I actually did some work on it where I carefully ripped off some of the tin/metal that encased the top (as the keyboard is when normal) of the Disk Drive to help it fit better. I REALIZED AFTER I PUT THE RAILS BACK ON THAT THIS MAY HAVE NOT BEEN NECESSARY! But I cannot guarantee that you will not have to go through that procedure with the Teac model.

I put it all back together and it Reads and Formats fine.

I had read elsewhere where somebody put a new Disk Drive in and it would read but not format.

If any problems show up I will try to post them here on this thread.

Morpheus – The Matrix

www.machinesound.com

#448121 - 11/21/02 07:57 AM Re: 3.5 Floppy Disk Drive Roland XP-80
flatcat Administrator Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Westborough, MA, USA
Conga - I have an XP-60. No problems yet, but boy is this nice to know.

Thanks so much!

#1014036 - 12/01/10 06:09 PM Re: 3.5 Floppy Disk Drive Roland XP-80 [Re: flatcat]
WinyardPro Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Great Southern Land.
How about a Floppy Drive Emulator?

Would that work?

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
5 registered (SnappinGyro, WRC,Jr., slotz, 2 invisible) and 41 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Jazzooo
Silversmith
Tom Mix
Timster
NOK
Forum Stats
19560 Members
35 Forums
112710 Topics
1260360 Posts

Max Online: 172 @ 10/25/11 12:34 AM
Newest Members
H_Y, rtwo, HipCat5, COW, freightyard
19560 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.013 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.