Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#504854 - 11/06/03 10:20 PM Dilemma
Tightrope Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 129
Planeteer

I love TrackNotes - but I have a confession to make. I recently upgraded from the VS1680 to the Akai DPS24. I'd like to continue using TrackNotes. The problem is the management of virtual tracks.

With the Akai, all my 256 tracks are essentially in one big pool. 24 of those tracks are assigned to track channels 1-24 (tracks 1-24 default to track channels 1-24 on a new project). The other 232 V tracks are not associated with any track channel, whereas on a VS machine they would be. For example, If I want track 211 to be assigned to track 3, I just swap it in.

This is a problem since TrackNotes associates all V tracks with track channels. Any ideas? Any possibility of enhancing this to allow users to choose a "template" - V tracks to channel, vs. pooled tracks?

It might also help market it to users of other DAW environments instead of just Roland users. It's a great product, and I'm frustrated trying to adapt it to a slightly different design methodology. \:\(

I REALLY WANT TO KEEP USING IT!! ;\) Thanks,

My Tunes

#504855 - 11/07/03 09:51 AM Re: Dilemma
flatcat Administrator Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Westborough, MA, USA
Larry - congratulations. Boy, there seems to be a positive groundswell about the Deep around here lately. mrsflat would kill me... \:D

Anyhow -

I'm not sitting in front of my tracknotes right this second, but I'd suppose you could just use different lines for them, couldn't you? I have two setups for tunes - tracking and mixing - because I have a half-analog setup (I mix on a console). It seems like although TN isn't exactly optimized for this, you could just add another track like any other track, and put the virtual track number in the description. Then use the status indicator to show whether you're using it or not (the status indicator, that I remember, is the pulldown menu that says whether a track is a keeper, rejected, or whatever).

I also make pretty extensive use of the notes feature.

If I ever start putting tracks in Sonar, I'll probably have a better suggestion. Sorry if that doesn't help so much.

#504856 - 11/07/03 08:27 PM Re: Dilemma
Tightrope Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 129
Planeteer

Hey Flatcat - thanks for the ideas. I'm going to open it up and take a hard look at this. You may be right about putting the track #'s in the descriptions. Honestly - it's not like I end up with tons of unused tracks anyway. I hope you're done with your construction project soon so we can hear some new tunes from you (with that nice new mic you got!).

BTW - Aren't you the one who knows some of the guys in From Good Homes? I see that they just released a new CD, but, alas, it's a recording of their last live show from '99. Too bad. I liked thoses guys. I wonder what they're all up to.

[ 11-07-2003: Message edited by: Tightrope ]

My Tunes

#504857 - 11/08/03 09:16 AM Re: Dilemma
Walrus44 Offline
Artist # 74
Planeteer

Loc: Inner Space
Hey, tightrope, the latest TN release (1.02.02) supports 256 tracks as opposed to the 64 tracks that version one shipped with. This might help you big time. Check your version under the Help menu - About TrackNotes and if you need the upgrade, send an email requesting the free upgrade to:

support@virtualstudiosystems.com

Also, since you are a registered TN user and a Planeteer, you are entitled to a free year of Premium Membership Artist Subscription on VS-Planet. If you want to be a registered VSPlanet Artist, send an email requesting the free 1 year service to:

artist-support@vsplanet.com

Include your registration number (inside of TN package), your name, and your VSPlanet member number(6669).

Good to see you guys are using TN. We are just starting work on V2. Let us know if you have any suggestions. The main thrust of V2 will be the Roland MIDI link, but, we are open to other suggestions for the new featureset.

Paul

Drop out, tune in, and turn on VSPR.
It's a Mind Altering Experience!

#504858 - 11/13/03 09:39 AM Re: Dilemma
Tightrope Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 129
Planeteer

Thanks, Paul - This is great news.

My Tunes

#504859 - 11/14/03 01:12 PM Re: Dilemma
flatcat Administrator Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Westborough, MA, USA
Larry - I might try and put something together so you can follow my logic a little better.

And yes, actually - before they were From Good Homes, they were the Dogs. I played guitar and bass and I sang for the Dogs. Then I moved away from NYC.

I sent a copy of a tape of one of the Dogs' appearances - one of my favorite gigs ever - to the woman who ran FGH's website, because there was a mention about the Dogs and 'some guy named Tom'. She was really happy about it. \:\)

Pat is living I think Vermont, working on a second solo record. Brady Rymer is in NY, and released at least one record of children's songs (I bought a copy for my daughter). Todd's in a new band, I think - I haven't checked recently. I only knew Dan a little bit, and Jamie not at all, really. I know Dan was doing some stuff with Pat. They all still play out here and there - I'm on the mailing lists for Pat and for Brady - let me know if you want the information or something.

Those guys are all really nice guys. I can't say enough good things about them as people. We - Todd, Pat, Brady, and me - had a lot of fun a long time ago, and I'll always feel like I owe them.

[ 11-14-2003: Message edited by: flatcat ]

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Shout Box

Who's Online
8 registered (Wingnut13, Mark Oakley, jsd, GUITARDAZE, ulank, Infinitymobile, 2 invisible) and 29 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
Jazzooo
Silversmith
Tom Mix
Timster
Al
NOK
Ismellelephant
gonzo
paulb
RGR
Popmann
Doughboy
fonts
flatcat
vvvm
moontan
Marty Gilman
T57Strat
Jammer
String Jammer
Forum Stats
19623 Members
35 Forums
114435 Topics
1286838 Posts

Max Online: 216 @ 05/19/14 08:55 AM
Newest Members
eyedance, Dallas1951, DavieB, Motifclassic1824cd, bjbell52
19623 Registered Users

Generated in 0.014 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.