Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#641779 - 01/18/07 09:09 PM Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Blue Roots Offline
Planeteer

I guess it was only a matter of time....

The Boss pages for each.....

FBM-1

FDR-1

#641780 - 01/18/07 09:18 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
will Offline
Planeteer

Loc: home in holland
weird, i think.
so if i use a 'deluxe' pedal in front of my trusty 57-ri bassman amp, i get a deluxe tone ...? :banghead: : ;\)

#641781 - 01/18/07 09:37 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Blue Roots Offline
Planeteer

lol... definitely the first thing I thought as well...

And what if you run the one of these through a Roland Jazz Chorus - or a pignose? lol...

Like a lot of this stuff... my only interest is if you can get some unique sounds that you may not be able to get otherwise. Example - I bought the Digitech JHE Hendrix pedal... not because I wanted to sound like Jimi(although it does that well) - but because I could see the potential for recording(stereo outs) and it had several really great sounds all in one... very happy with that particular toy.

#641782 - 01/18/07 09:41 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
ickalien Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Denver
Would these work to record direct to the vs?

The second guitarist in my first (63 - 68) band had a real 64 Deluxe Reverb. Many years later (1993?), during his divorce, his wife gave it to Goodwill when he was out of town.

I offered to take "care" of her!

#641783 - 01/18/07 09:45 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

Loc: at the wave ranch dressing
Might be fun.
Wish they had controller pedal outputs, so you could sweep the gain or eq while you played. That would be hot, and something I like moding on amps.

I had one great old Systech Overdrive that had a sweep pot. We hooked a volume pedal, that gave wah-distortion tones. Just a thought.

#641784 - 01/18/07 09:53 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Blue Roots Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
Originally posted by FlametopFred:
Might be fun.
Wish they had controller pedal outputs, so you could sweep the gain or eq while you played. That would be hot, and something I like moding on amps.

I had one great old Systech Overdrive that had a sweep pot. We hooked a volume pedal, that gave wah-distortion tones. Just a thought.
I like that idea! thanks - I think I'll go market that. \:D

#641785 - 01/18/07 09:57 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

Loc: Southern Wisconsin
Wow! What will they not think of next?

While on the subject of amps....a few weeks ago I played for about an hour thru one those roland cubes...i think it was the biggest one. What do you guys think of those? I thought that it was pretty damn cool considering how many ways it could be used and even miced for bigger gigs if you think there's not enough power there. The price is right!

#641786 - 01/18/07 11:00 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

Loc: at the wave ranch dressing
Blue:
No charge my man \:\)

Actually, on this (new to me but used) MusicMan 212-75 they have a Phase Shifter built-in. Some MusicMan amps had those instead of Tremolo. The cool, super-cool thing about that is that a dial is a "manual position" for the sweep: meaning that you can manually sweep the pot through the Phase Shifting, until you find that certain notch for your guitar sound. What I want to do is turn that pot into a Foot Pedal (ie: volume pedal) so that I would have a manual "wah" phase pedal.

I know I should seek professional mental help.

#641787 - 01/18/07 11:03 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
flatcat Administrator Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Westborough, MA, USA
Funny, the first thing I thought of the Bassman pedal was "what would a bass sound like through it"? I mean, i know everyone loves them for guitars, but it was originally a bass amp, right?

Do you suppose it's close to the models on the VSF cards? It is a COSM device after all...

Professor Truth T. Sweetness says,"Mind your manners!"

#641788 - 01/19/07 04:08 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Blue Roots Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
Originally posted by FlametopFred:
Blue:
No charge my man \:\)

Actually, on this (new to me but used) MusicMan 212-75 they have a Phase Shifter built-in. Some MusicMan amps had those instead of Tremolo. The cool, super-cool thing about that is that a dial is a "manual position" for the sweep: meaning that you can manually sweep the pot through the Phase Shifting, until you find that certain notch for your guitar sound. What I want to do is turn that pot into a Foot Pedal (ie: volume pedal) so that I would have a manual "wah" phase pedal.

I know I should seek professional mental help.
Yep - really a neato idea.

One really cool aspect of the above mentioned JHE pedal is the tape-flange setting... not only is the effect very convincing... but you can control the sweep of the flange with the pedal... very cool indeed.

#641789 - 01/19/07 05:28 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
RGR Offline
Planeteer

Loc: UK
Well if they actually sound like they claim it will be cool...wish marshall would do the same thing....but wait why would they undercut their own amp sales?

#641790 - 01/19/07 05:58 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
This would be perfect for running electric guitar straight to the console, if it does what it says it does.

#641791 - 01/19/07 06:16 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Brian Roberts Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Department of Inexplicable...
If it sounds decent, it would be worth it to me just to get the reverb and vibrato in one pedal. I always hated the vibrato in my GT-3 though. It sounded crappy--totally lacked crispness and definition.

"hey, what's a half-step among friends?"
Old songwriters never die...they just decompose. \:p

#641792 - 01/19/07 06:20 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Liquidirt Offline
Planet Dirtball
Planeteer

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
The VG-88 has done this and more for years.

#641793 - 01/19/07 07:05 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Brian Roberts Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
Originally posted by Liquidirt:
The VG-88 has done this and more for years.
Well, and amp (and mic and cabinet) sims are all built into the VS machines too. I've never found any of them to be incredibly realistic--you either like the sounds they really produce--or you don't. I mean--how realist would it be for me to assume I can get Nuemann sounds out of an SM58 just because of some modeler? If that really worked, why in the world would anyone ever pay the price for a real Nuemann again?

But the question in my mind is how much is the MSRP and how much can we really get one for--they'd definitely have to come in well below the VG88.

#641794 - 01/19/07 07:12 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Blue Roots Offline
Planeteer

Well... I haven't heard one(they were just announced yesterday apparently) - but my guess is that since they're sort of specializing in what they do that they're likely to do a very convincing job. I've not heard the VG88.

I will say that when I first heard Fender's Cyber-Twin model of the bassman and DR I was NOT blown away by any means...

I mean... no question that if ya want the real thing... you'll have to have the real thing to do it. lol

#641795 - 01/20/07 01:26 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Blue Roots Offline
Planeteer

BTW - I didn't see them before - but there are video demos for each pedal on their respective pages... so you can hear these in action.

They sounded impressive to me.

#641796 - 01/20/07 03:30 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
The Un-dr. Offline
Planeteer

Loc: St. Paul, Minnesota
I've had an old Bassman amp sitting here for years (black). Doesn't work right now--needs tubes?!

Anyone know what it's worth?

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."--Aldous Huxley

#641797 - 01/20/07 03:40 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
NOK Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: hanging N the GarAge
shit.. i just spent 1700$ on Boss stuff now they want me to spend more.. shit

gal dang it all

#641798 - 01/20/07 03:41 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Brian Roberts Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
Originally posted by The Un-dr.:
I've had an old Bassman amp sitting here for years (black). Doesn't work right now--needs tubes?!

Anyone know what it's worth?
About $12--I'm sending you a check for twice that right away so go ahead and crate it up... :p

#641799 - 01/20/07 03:51 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
NOK Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: hanging N the GarAge
uh i'll up that bid to 35$ and I'll pay for shippining \:D
#641800 - 01/20/07 03:59 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Chimp Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Overland Park
I bought a 65 bassman head 50 watt at a pawn shop two years ago for $350.00. According to my amp blue book with the 2-12 cab in excellent condition it is worth $700 to $900.00 In average condition it is worth $525.00 to $650.00.
If I were you I would re tube it they sound awesome with the volume on 11 guitar plugged direct in.
If you put a stomp box in front of the bass input it will give you a great creamy feedback for days.
If you don't want it it is worth market which seems to be rising as we speak here on the planet ...I'll triple the first offer and give you $36.00 plus I'll pay the shipping.

#641801 - 01/20/07 04:05 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Brian Roberts Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
Originally posted by Chimp:
...I'll triple the first offer and give you $36.00 plus I'll pay the shipping.
OK--I'll double that plus throw in a brand new Epiphone 5 watter (which I have yet to buy). ;\)

...hey--this is more fun than eBay! :thumb:

#641802 - 01/20/07 08:00 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Liquidirt Offline
Planet Dirtball
Planeteer

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Unless you actually try a VG-88 or see it in action, you'll never appreciate it or what it is capable of doing. It is a midi and very impressive, nothing comes close, not even the built in VS-sims. No comparison really.

#641803 - 01/20/07 09:55 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Stuart Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Upper Right Hand Coast
Well for $700 plus maybe a GK-3 pup it better be just lovely....and I think they are and if I could I would but...tuition, rent, food, heat, water, electric, cable, cell phones, reg phone, med insurance, dental, car insurance, blah blah blah... :rolleyes:

Anyway I do adore 65 Fender Deluxe's but I'm not really a pedal guy..says the guy w/ about 2 dozen...

By the by Liquid D...I mentioned ur Satriani cover in the Satriani video thread...hope you don't mind. \:D

"Not all who wander are lost"
~J.R.R. Tolkien

PEGSTONE @ IAC
Barnacles & Stone

"Never Ever make meatloaf when you're stoned" ~ Stu & Lisa
"Sticks & Stones may hide my bones as life will soon desert me" - Barnacled Bill
"There's always room for cello!" ~ Barnacled Bill

#641804 - 01/20/07 10:04 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Scottyjr Offline
Planeteer

Loc: KC
 Quote:
Originally posted by Chimp:

If I were you I would re tube it they sound awesome with the volume on 11 guitar plugged direct in.
Why would that matter? Don't you turn all your amps up to 11?? \:D \:D ;\)
www.myspace.com/hellhoundjunkieskc

#641805 - 01/20/07 01:25 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
Guys, listen to Liquidirt!!!!!

Seriously, the VG88 is WAY, WAY, WAY, WAY more than a simulator.

First off, he was responding to Flametop wanting a pedal to shift the phase manually. The VG88's pedal can be assigned to any parameter (and you can ad external pedals too). So, it can be used to sweep the phase, delay times, reverb paramters, pitch, wah, volume, preamp or poweramp gain, EQ points.....whatever you want to assign the pedal to sweep, it will.

Secondly, you can't try one of these in a store and know what it will do. The presets are horrible, which is great news, because the box originally cost around $2,000. Then they were to discotinue it. A large outpouring ensured to not kill such a creative tool and they kept it alive. For the price they sell, supposedly they don't make a lot of money for Roland.

Also, the box does alternate tunings without touching your tuners. Totally convincing. Did I mention there is no tracking delay at all?

Liquid is wrong in that it is NOT midi, just uses the pickup used to by Roland to converter midi. But no midi means no tracking delay.

It can and does do simulations of guitars an amps. They can range from terrible (listen to the presets), to wow, what a great sounding tele!!!! OR...wow....I now have a Ric 12 string!!!! Or, wow, I now have a metal acoustic guitar and a selection of banjos....or wow, monsterous heavy guitars!!!! Did I mention is does fantastic basses too?

But the modeling for me is really just a basis to create totally unique tones.

Want a fretless bass? A fretless 8 string bass? No problem.
Want a 12 string guitar in dual alternate tunings (meaning each string is detuned and then detuned to different interval? No problem.
Been wishing you could so a wild and wacky banjo solo with lots of sustain?
Those effects you always wished for and in combinations and control you've dreamed of?
Gotcha covered.

In all, it is one of the best things I have ever bought....and I have a massive array of gear....instrumental and recording. The VG88 is definitely a can't do without, desert island must have.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#641806 - 01/20/07 07:16 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Loc: California
the new Deluxe and Bassman pedals were a joint colaboration between Fender and Roland/Boss. They sound great. I particularly like the Deluxe pedal, it does sound like a deluxe cranked up and the vibrato & reverb very similar. To me a very desireable pedal to put in front of an amp. Fender has a new '57 tweed deluxe out and some other cool things. But that '57 deluxe and one of those pedals would be a perfect rig. Conversely the Bassman pedal in fro of a Deluxe re-issue would be nice.

"I love what you guys are trying to do up there" ...from an audience member at one of my gigs.
Gear: Fender Medium pick

#641807 - 01/20/07 07:36 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Blue Roots Offline
Planeteer

Yeah - one outstanding feature of the Deluxe pedal is the reverb and vibrato... I've already got the "dry" BMRI amp... it'd be nice to try just this pedal between my guitar and amp.

I'll definitely be test driving one soon.

#641808 - 01/20/07 07:52 PM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Ramanuja Offline
Planeteer

I actually owned many of the classic "holy grail" vintage amps.
The weird thing is that NONE of them sounded nearly as good as the "simulations" I can get with a GT6. \:\)

Does anybody remember Standel amps ? :0

#641809 - 01/21/07 12:07 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
GtrGeorge! Offline
Planeteer

Loc: in the now.
Ramanjula,
I too have been lucky enough to own some "holy grail" amps. To me, the sonme simulators can be made to sound pretty close..but they NEVER respond like those circuits, those speakers in a real room.
If you want to get that particular sound...I dont think there is any better way to get it.
oh btw: your way off on global warming.

#641810 - 01/21/07 02:38 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Blue Roots Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramanuja:
I actually owned many of the classic "holy grail" vintage amps.
The weird thing is that NONE of them sounded nearly as good as the "simulations" I can get with a GT6. \:\)

Does anybody remember Standel amps ? :0
Well... the thing is... is that with the "vintage" amps... generally speaking... you have to be in a setting where you can drive the thing hard enough to get that "cream" from it... most players just aren't in a position on a regular basis where you can really enjoy what one of these can do... and especially if we're talkin' plexi's, etc...

I just left a jam a few minutes ago with some really excellent old school blues players... one of which has some really great old gear including a '59 tweed Bassman(original owner) - but he admits he can't play that shit often because it's to rare a setting where he can drive those tubes to the point of bliss....

Haven't heard of Standel's - what's the story?

#641811 - 01/21/07 04:11 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Brian Roberts Offline
Planeteer

BTW--thought you guys might be interested in seeing a video of the Boss NAMM demo of this unit.

They A/B a real Deluxe with the pedal and it sounds pretty darn good. They also demo the 'verb and vibrato and they also sound good.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=855&ParentId=72

I still haven't got a bead on the price though--they don't seem to be available yet.

#641812 - 01/31/07 07:42 AM Re: Boss squeezes classic Fender amps into a pedal
Brian Roberts Offline
Planeteer

Update for those interested.

Finally found them listed here:
American Musical Supply

Don't know if they're actually in stock at AMS or not. MF will be selling them for the same price ($149) --but they're not available for order yet--they suggested calling back in a week.

For the money, it sounds attractive to me. I liked the NAMM demos I heard at the Roland site.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849693 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.028 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 12 queries. Zlib compression disabled.