Topic Options
#647070 - 01/31/07 11:21 PM Women without husbands
Tom Mix Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Mootown, Wisconsin
Women without husbands

By Tom Purcell

January 26, 2007

All right, ladies, the gig is up. It's time for all of us to get married, including you.

I refer to The New York Times' recent report. After sorting through U.S. Census data, The Times determined that for the first time in American history the majority of women, 51 percent, are living without a husband.

The story tore through the media like a lightning bolt. A slew of "I am woman, hear me roar" stories hit the airwaves. The storyline was clear: Women are finally free and independent now, and the last thing they need is some sloppy spouse who leaves his socks lying all over the house.

Well, nuts to that. Look, ladies, deciding not to marry for your own well-being is one thing, but it is we you're not marrying in the process. Your decision is killing single men — literally.

Single men partake in more risky behavior than married men. We eat badly, smoke more, and avoid doctors' offices. We die younger. And we're far more likely to wake up in a pile of crumpled newspapers still clutching the tequila bottle we began sipping from two days before.

The reason why is not complicated. We are social animals. Men and women are very different creatures, but we were made for each other. The Catholics call it complementarity — a man and woman, in union and harmony, round each other out.

Men need to be rounded out, too. Take dust. Because our brains take in less sensory detail than a woman's, we don't notice dust the way women do. Thus, married men tend to live in orderly, dust-free homes, whereas single men, says P.J. O'Rourke, clean up their place about once every girlfriend.

Though it's not like single women are faring much better.

The Times article quoted independent women raving about their freedom and flexibility. A 32-year-old woman had already lived with two boyfriends and said that if she ever did marry, she might opt to keep her own place. Another said she likes being able to sleep on either side of the bed.

Oh, just admit it, ladies. You need us, too. Sleeping next to a burping, snoring lug of a husband may not be the stuff dreams are made of, but it sure beats sleeping alone. And when you hear a prowler rattling the door knob in the middle of the night, whom do you send to investigate? Your cat?

I know The Times is eager for a more progressive society to take hold — one in which the stodgy traditional marriage is kicked to the wayside — but the fact is marriage, imperfect though it is, is good for us.

Married people are happier, says the Pew Research Center. They enjoy life more — they enjoy sex more, too. Children raised by married couples fare better. Society fares better. Successful civilizations are built on the stability that traditional marriage brings.

But despite these simple and obvious truths, we keep trying to reinvent our nature. We keep trying to prove there are better ways to fulfill our simple needs — keep trying to leave every option open, so that we can be "free" and "independent" forever.

And we end up alone.

I can't imagine what old folks homes will be like 40 years from now. There will be an unprecedented number of elderly single people living alone. No children or grandchildren will visit them — no spouse will care for them. I wonder if The Times will do a front-page piece on that trend, too.

All I know is that my life would certainly be better if I woke every morning in a full home in which my children are laughing and my wife is smiling, rather than the way I often wake now — with a throbbing noggin' because my single friends and I over-enjoyed our freedom and independence at the pub the night before.

As I said, it's time for all of us to get married.

:thumb:

#647071 - 01/31/07 11:35 PM Re: Women without husbands
strat1376 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: New York, USA
This is indeed a startling story, tequila was never meant to be sipped!!!!

#647072 - 01/31/07 11:48 PM Re: Women without husbands
String Jammer Offline
Hall Of Fame Fiddler
Planeteer

Loc: Northeastern US
"As I said, it's time for all of us to get married."

Sorry, can't do that legally in my state.

My Sound Cloud Page

#647073 - 02/01/07 12:21 AM Re: Women without husbands
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
What's that I hear???

Ominous music under… ba dup ba dup ba dup badup badup badup

Wild's coming to chew yer ass! \:D

#647074 - 02/01/07 12:24 AM Re: Women without husbands
CLEAN Offline
Planeteer

Loc: CA
moose, i just can't say it - it's just too obvious.

i'm trying to keep my thoughts to myself these days.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849693 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.024 seconds in which 0.003 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.