Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#674395 - 03/07/08 03:06 PM VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review
philcan Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 378
Planeteer

Loc: Louisvile ky
The short review: I am so glad I bought this DVD. I learned something new & useful in the first few minutes of watching. This is the DVD Roland should have made. If you own a VS2000 & want to learn how to do things like edits & auto-mix or really rock on effects buy this. Spend more time playing with your VS2000 rather than reading, hours of trial error & re-reading.

Now for the long review:
Let me start off with a little background info. I got my VS2000 about 1½ years ago. I use the VGA, 2 VS8f3 cards (got number 2 last month worried they will be gone soon). I have the following plug-ins T-Racks, Sound Blender, Autotune, the 1176 & LA2A. After being on the board over a year I consider myself to be an intermediate user of the VS2000. I know the basics. However, I knew my machine is capable of tons more. I read & re-read the manual but lost interest in Roland’s presentation so I put becoming a VS master on the back burner. I even contemplated getting the VS2400 DVD from Roland. But after speaking with a Roland tech they said the DVD did not really cover the VGA & I most likely would not get my $$ worth. I noticed the VS Tutorial from PlancTon a few months ago. I was hesitant as it looked like they covered the 2400 & 2480. 2 weeks ago I emailed them asking “as VS2000 user will I get use out of the DVD”? They got back to me the next day explaining the VGA is about 98% the same in all 3 units & if operations are different on a machine a pop up shows on screen. I decided to buy the DVD.

I ordered on line about 6PM EST on Tuesday 2-26. The DVD was in my mailbox 1 week later on 3-4. 1 week from Germany to The Midwest USA A++.
My DVD player is a $24.99 special. It is about as cheap as you can get. Both DVDs play with NO PROBLEMS at all.

The DVD is broken into a very logical fashion: Projects, Recording, Mixing, Using Effects, Editing, Mastering, using Plug-ins, Burning a CD. It covers how to use the VS machine rather than a home recording how to. At the start of each section the DVD writer is there speaking in German & 3 seconds later the English voice over starts. Since that part is very short & non technical there is no detraction. Right away we go to the VGA screen & start. 95% of the DVD is on the VGA screen. I learned a ton of short cuts that will save me time. For me those alone are worth the price of the DVD. Some of the things I liked about the production when they talk about a concept the cursor moves on screen pointing to what they are talking about.

The highlights for me were the editing sections. I now know how to do all sorts of edits down to the wave form, moving & copying parts etc. I also understand how to use auto-mix now. I will have to watch a few more times but I have a much better idea of how I will use it. Sure this stuff is in the Roland manual but after reading it I still was unclear. I grew tired from re-reading trial/error & gave up. Seeing it action with the VS Tutorial I want to jump in right away.

I learned some cool tricks with the EQ & dynamics section.

Some other things that I liked were the Plug-in demos. They use a VS2000 for these demos. After seeing the demos on the Roland VS8f3 plug-ins I am really excited. I did not know the effects on that card were so awesome. I didn’t know what some of the controls really did. I’m sure if I spent hours & hours playing around with them I would know but the demo showed me in 15 minutes just what I need to know to jump in. Honestly if you get a VS8f3 card the effects are so good the other plug-ins are just icing. Then again what cake is complete without icing? I learned a lot about the other plug-ins I have or may someday get. This also saved me hours of time as I now have a better understanding of what they can do & what I will do the next time I sit down to record. They have musical example of each and go over many of the parameters.

From the mastering section of the DVD it looks like the VS2000 is the better machine as you can edit the master tracks directly on the 2000.

If you get the book there are many sections of the DVD that give you page number references from the book so if you want more information you have a direct path. Sorry I did not get the book.

So what’s my opinion of the DVD? It is VERY WELL worth buying. I wish I had picked it up sooner. I found myself saying out loud wow! or cool! many times while watching. I even ran downstairs to my VS to check some of the things first hand. The VS Tutorial showed me things I knew my VS2000 could do but I never had the time to re-read the manual and spend hours of trial & error. The DVD has increased the value of my VS2000 & all the extra stuff I have with it. Rather than spending hours learning my machine I can now spend those hours having fun with it. Would I buy it again you bet!

Just in case you are wondering I’m not affiliated with PlancTon. You can probably search my previous posts asking if people had info on the DVD. I’m just a VS2000 user who knew they were not using their expensive machine as fully & efficiently as I could. I always knew it could do more than I was doing with it. I had also been sitting on the fence about getting the DVD & finally jumped in. I believe I found a tool that other VS2000 users could benefit from so I wanted to let them know what I thought of the product. These guys are also sponsors of VS Planet so if you want to order just click on the banner when it says view all our sponsors.

If you have any questions feel free to email me.

Edited by philcan (03/07/08 03:57 PM)

#674491 - 03/07/08 08:44 PM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: philcan]
professor Offline
Planeteer

Loc: madrid iowa
ok now I am excited...mine should be here any day now...great review!
vs2480 linked with a vs2000,adam a7 monitors,roland monitors, presonus digimax, presonus bluetube, presonus studio channel, presonus hp60 headphone amp....a lot of microphones, a lot of guitars, and three cats

#685155 - 04/01/08 08:00 PM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: professor]
professor Offline
Planeteer

had to go back to this post....you should feel lucky getting your purchase so quickly....

I ordered in march...exactly march 3rd and so far have not recieved the items...

Now they post delayed shipping and an offer to refund money til product arrives...very disappointing for me
vs2480 linked with a vs2000,adam a7 monitors,roland monitors, presonus digimax, presonus bluetube, presonus studio channel, presonus hp60 headphone amp....a lot of microphones, a lot of guitars, and three cats

#686007 - 04/03/08 11:52 PM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: professor]
philcan Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 378
Planeteer

Ouch I'm glad I put my order in when I did. they were real good at responding to me.
#721234 - 07/02/08 02:40 AM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: philcan]
kicklighter Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: sarasota florida
Im buying a 2000 and will need some effects cards and whatever I would need to be able to use it with mouse and moniter, if anyone has info please email here or at Kicklighter@verizon.net
#721294 - 07/02/08 12:03 PM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: kicklighter]
philcan Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 378
Planeteer

The best place I found to buy the effects card is BPMmusic.com. They are about 100.00 less than anywhere else i also found them to have the best prices on effects. you will need a card for a monitor as well. You may be able to get it there or at any mail order place. They are a little harder to come by. The Moniotor is the ONLY way to go. The DVD was a huge help for me too.
#721550 - 07/02/08 09:12 PM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: philcan]
kicklighter Offline
Space Cadet

Is the vs2000 a good dependable recorder. I have a 1680 and I'm planning on buying the 2000.
#721761 - 07/03/08 11:01 AM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: kicklighter]
philcan Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 378
Planeteer

That will depend on who you speak with. I like many many people in these boards have had mine for several years & had 0 issues.
#721805 - 07/03/08 02:20 PM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: philcan]
canefire Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Silver Spring , MD USA
IT took me a while to appreciate my vs2000. After watching the Plancton dvd I love it even more. Mine has not given me any problems in the 3 years I have owned it. I just completed a demo for a friend of mine and it worked well. It was the first major piece of serious artistic work I have completed and he was stunned by how good it all came out. He is shopping his talent in hopes of a deal and people say it is recorded well.
Now I am no great engineer but I will say that the VS2000 recorded at 16/44.1 sounds fine. The talent you put in will be recorded just fine.
I keep going back and forth about buying another one...and I am waiting to see if they come out with another machine before christmas. If not I really may buy another VS just for the additional tracks that I can work with in stereo. Some of these deals are amazing to me. Plus it will only get better as more people are going computer and selling 2480's cheaper as well.
Cheers,
IAn

#721824 - 07/03/08 03:12 PM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: canefire]
grachus Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 92
Planeteer

Loc: burlington ont, canada
good review.that sounds enticing. i have been banging tunes out on the vs but thinking i have to refine my efforts after my lasst recordings didnt fair too well but that was mostly too much beer. it was my brothers and me recording . but im thinking the dvd will be help.

#721899 - 07/03/08 06:02 PM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: grachus]
kicklighter Offline
Space Cadet

Im happy with the 1680s sound is the quality on the 2000 just as good? also is the operation simular or is there another learning curve. Thanks for the replys.
#721927 - 07/03/08 07:40 PM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: kicklighter]
professor Offline
Planeteer

also... I had problems getting mine and Plancton was very good at dealing with me....most of the stuff on the dvd and book I knew but there were a few things I learned...I just believe that no one can have too many resources and this book and dvd are right up there

#733204 - 07/28/08 02:50 PM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: professor]
philcan Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 378
Planeteer

I was working on a friends project where he had his children singing back up vocals they liked to talk milliseconds after each take. He also had them with him when he did lead vocals & as soon as he was done singing a verse the chatter started. boy was I glad to review the editing part of the DVD made using the wave form to edit so much easier than guessing as I would have had to do before. It als came in handy as I cut the kids out of a chorus then optomized my project killing any chaces of undo. I was able to copy & paste from another chours & all was well. This saved me hours or kept me from giving up on fixing it.
#736045 - 08/03/08 12:33 AM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: philcan]
gregory howard Offline
Space Cadet

I ordered one and got it about three months later. Didn't know a book came with one (they didn't send it). Overall I'm displeased with the purchase and I'm really hesitatant from ordering anything from them (overseas) again.. My two cents.

The DVD IS informative and I need to sit down again one more weekend and view it. Would love to hear from more users of the machine and how they utilize it and even some demos!!

Holla back at me!!!

Greg

#736070 - 08/03/08 01:58 AM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: philcan]
Cowtothesky Offline
Space Cadet

Why don't they just let you download it online? I just ordered a 5 1/2 hour tutorial video from sudosonic for my Korg M3. I downloaded the entire video, which came in chapters, and watched it immediately.

At any rate, I hope Roland (and Korg) do not leave the instructional customer support to 3/p companies and continue to create their own videos, upgrades, sounds, etc.. I believe this would be a good selling point for Roland and other companies - offer a term of guaranteed instructional support, for 10 years or whatever. As we all know, today - when high tech companies come out with something new, they usually drop the old line like a cold fish.

#736488 - 08/04/08 12:32 AM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: Cowtothesky]
professor Offline
Planeteer

like I posted earlier, I was pleased with the way they put things together...overseas can be a bitch as I experienced...

#736663 - 08/04/08 11:56 AM Re: VS Tutotial DVD by PlancTon a VS2000 user review [Re: gregory howard]
philcan Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 378
Planeteer

The book is a seperate item it does not come with the DVD. I did not buy the book. There is a lot of info in that DVD & requires several times to watch various parts. i liked it becasue it is the only one I know of that soley uses the VGA screen.

I know dealing with thengs overseas can be an issue. I managed to get the DVD in less than a week. I know as an ebay seller thngs can sometimes get hung up in customs for any reason. that has almost always been where the snag was. I sent the package in 2 days Customs kept it two months.

I love the idea of dowlading instructional DVDs. could gain much more info & spend less$$.

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849692 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.028 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.