Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#527187 - 06/04/07 09:36 PM Looking for heavenly headphones
Knobs Mc Gee Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 383
Planeteer

Loc: Sacremento, California
I’ve posted this question before but I’m still looking for the right set of closed air cans. Quite often I’ll have to track in the same space as the performer but I’ve yet to find a set of headphones that have a very flat response. Most are pretty hyped at the top, bottom or both. I’ve got a set of Sony 7506s (to bright), a set of Sennheiser Pro280s (to exaggerated at top and bottom), three sets of Audio Technica ATH-M40fs (not bad but a bit lumpy in the mids and not very well built), Bose noise canceling (not bad but they have that odd Bose top end. I’ve tried lots of others in stores too but haven’t found that magic set. Have any of you tried a set of the new top of the line Audio Technica cans ATH-M50 or noise canceling ATH-ANC7 or AKG 271s? Any other suggestions??

Thanks
Knobs

#647309 - 01/08/08 09:40 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: Knobs Mc Gee]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: SL.UT
i love the Ultrasone PROline 2500.

love, love love.
can't afford.

i own and use the AKG K 240 S.
they're really nice, for the money.

go here.
http://www.headphone.com/

#648828 - 01/11/08 11:18 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: gonzo]
Stuart Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Upper Right Hand Coast
Well I really don't think (my hearing is probably to blame)the Sony's are hyped at the top but they are pretty damn flat on the lows...compared to my Sennheisers which seem hyped on the bottom..in a good way for listening but.

Anyway I think the Sony 7506 are good for tracking (though they can get uncomfortable in the summer heat) and am curioso about the next Sony model up Sony's new MDR-7509HD professional headphones since I've been using my pair of 7506 since the early 90's or even longer but they still work flawlessly...course the "pleather" has long since worn off and underneath looks like black fleece ...Quick link and review..

"Not all who wander are lost"
~J.R.R. Tolkien

PEGSTONE @ IAC
Barnacles & Stone

"Never Ever make meatloaf when you're stoned" ~ Stu & Lisa
"Sticks & Stones may hide my bones as life will soon desert me" - Barnacled Bill
"There's always room for cello!" ~ Barnacled Bill

#649421 - 01/13/08 09:12 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: Stuart]
Haggis Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Rocky Top Tennessee
There's only one set of cans for my mixing jobs: AKG 270s.
#651784 - 01/20/08 12:51 AM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: Haggis]
vvvm Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Clark & Washington
If ya thank the 7506'z iz too brite, ya cood poot a ol' afletik sock o'er the eech eer thang.

I wood uze a cleen wunz, butt mebbe that'z jes' me.

VSPlanutt Arteeste Toonajz .
Sum mo' choonz.
Da Blog.

Spankin' trolls and makin' 'em cry since the last century.

#655212 - 01/29/08 05:07 AM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: Knobs Mc Gee]
Bobkat Offline
Planeteer

Loc: St. Marys,Ontario,Canada
I have the ATH-M40fs and they are good .I can hear most of
all the frequencies without any hype,fuzzyness . Great for tracking and editting.Very comfortable with realy good isolation,I've heard that the ATH-M50s are the next step up.Probably a great choice .

Edited by Bobkat (02/16/11 03:40 AM)

#676716 - 03/12/08 04:53 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: Bobkat]
RickD Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Prague, Czech Republic & Guana...
I'm also looking for headphones to mix with, and/or track with.

Have owned the Audio-Technica ATH-40, sold them. Rubbish. Good for takes in the sense that they don't leak much. However, the bass is very loud on those and they are absolutley not 'flat'. Impossible to judge, and if you EQ anything with those on you are sooo f*cked.
What's more they have a thin inner ring of very dense foam that lays upon the cartilage of your ears and after a while just makes your ears physically sore, very painful. Extremely hot too.
One of the phones died and had to be replaced, cost 38 €. The other one sounded like it wasn't healthy, got rid of them.
And i listen at very low volume.

I have a pair of Sennheiser Ovation HD560's. They're open, and a little light on bass but soooo soooo detailed and pleasant and light...much much better chance of mixing well on those. True, the original price was double that of the ATHM's but when it got discontinued the price became the same.

Otherwise, other pointless legend: Sony 7506. Absolutely useless for mixing and overpriced. They are good at checking levels (you can hear clipping / distortion) prior to recording or to check a recorded track, but for mixing? No way. 7509 not much better from what i heard and even more overpriced.

Just as Neumann, AKG and the like are overpriced NAMES, just as the Yamaha NS10 monitors were absolute garbage as main mixing monitors but looked great so everyone wanted them, i think these 'legends' are myths, like the SM58. Overpriced and overhyped.

I really wouldn't be surprised if a much better deal was to be found amongst newcomers, new brands, at half the price.

I still am interested in suggestions, though... ;-)

Thx

- VS-2480CD v2.505 with 2x 'two' cards + 2x 'three' cards + all plug-ins + Meter bridge
- Converted to DVD with a UJ-860 + SSD with a Samsung EVO 860 250GB
- JBL LSR308 monitors
The rest of my gear :
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/membres/29885/products/

#677825 - 03/14/08 09:34 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: RickD]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

i'll tell you again, the Ultrasone PROline 2500 just beats all i've heard.
heavenly.

#677853 - 03/14/08 10:24 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: gonzo]
RickD Offline
Planeteer

That's 400$ over here. Not exactly cheap.

- VS-2480CD v2.505 with 2x 'two' cards + 2x 'three' cards + all plug-ins + Meter bridge
- JBL LSR308 monitors
The rest of my gear :

#683492 - 03/28/08 07:00 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: RickD]
Vanillagrits Offline
Planeteer

I was going to say Sennheiser HD600...but they're not closed.

Still, you got to love them.

#738832 - 08/09/08 07:48 AM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: Vanillagrits]
Stuart Offline
Planeteer

Well I got and or use the 2 different Sennheisers (HD280 Pro and PX100), AKG K 240 , Koss, Beyer Dynamic...still prefer my Sony 7506 for comfort as well as sound. Over priced? Around $100 seems reasonable to me..

Would'nt mix with ANY cans though..

~J.R.R. Tolkien

PEGSTONE @ IAC
Barnacles & Stone

"Sticks & Stones may hide my bones as life will soon desert me" - Barnacled Bill

#746005 - 08/24/08 05:43 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: Stuart]
glensimonds Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Brooklyn Park, MN
i better not mention the proline 750's

VS PLANET RADIO

#746437 - 08/25/08 02:13 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: glensimonds]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

Quote:
i better not mention the proline 750's

Quote:
i love the Ultrasone PROline 2500

i already did...

sort of.

#751865 - 09/03/08 03:40 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: gonzo]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
I have the Ultrasone 650s and really like them (after a short break in period). Very true IMO. They are a bit hefty but I am used to them......and it makes me feel important..... \:D

FWIW, MF had some "refurbs" (probably returns) for $165 (IIRC) or so....a killer deal as they are around $299 new.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#786730 - 11/08/08 04:02 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: MadGuitrst]
SteveM Offline
Planeteer

Loc: A couple of minutes from the b...
Another vote for the Senn 600's. They'll satisfy the heavenly part, but not the closed part. Do you want them to be closed for tracking?

I have to say I don't get what people see in the Ultrasones. I tried their high end model a couple of years ago, and sent them back. No camparison to the Senn 600's IMO. Maybe head geometry makes a difference?

It is the essential nature of man to play - Plato

#917083 - 11/04/09 04:21 AM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: SteveM]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Florida - Dunnellon
Not totally on topic, but what do you all think about AKG K340's?

Starliner

#917228 - 11/04/09 06:18 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: Starliner]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

well, i use the 240's for mixing, and i like em.
#935223 - 12/30/09 09:56 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: gonzo]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Pensacola, FL
I just got a set of Shure SRH 840's for Christmas, and they're very nice....I'm not sure what you're looking for exactly, but I can't imagine a better set of cans.

Chris

#948721 - 02/07/10 04:49 AM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: Memphis Monroe]
String Jammer Offline
Hall Of Fame Fiddler
Planeteer

Loc: Northeastern US
I have the 7506's and a few pair of the ATH M40's. I use the 40's when the 7506's are out of reach, or if I get tired of fighting with the coil cord.

My Sound Cloud Page

#948911 - 02/07/10 07:40 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: String Jammer]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
Of all the various phones I've had the chance or need to use over the years, including some Sennheisers, AKG K 240, some Koss, ATH-40, etc ... my favorites for tracking, mixing (if needed) and editing are still the Sony 7506. The Sony MDR-V6 is also a good choice for me where a more detailed high end is needed, though I don't generally like them for tracking.

The 7506 aren't real closed, so they tend to bleed a bit when recording close-mic'd guitar to a loud reference track. They are pretty comfortable to me and I actually like the coil cord most of the time because it doesn't tend to knot up and short out if stepped on, but it does get hung up on table and equipment edges sometimes. I'm sure there are much "better" phones and certainly more expensive ones...

#1015914 - 12/10/10 03:25 AM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: uptildawn]
BrianJ Offline
Planeteer

I've had the Sony MDR-7509 for about 10 years now...love em...
#1018472 - 12/20/10 02:09 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: BrianJ]
Stuart Offline
Planeteer

Sony 7506....doesn't look hyped to me.... Proaudio tests and info on some headphones

~J.R.R. Tolkien

PEGSTONE @ IAC
Barnacles & Stone

#1018496 - 12/20/10 04:12 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: Stuart]
RickD Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Stuart
Sony 7506....doesn't look hyped to me.... Proaudio tests and info on some headphones

Minus 7dB drop in the high-mids? Bass falling away at over 50Hz?
How can anyone mix on these things, seriously.
The only reason people buy em is because they don't compare them with anything else, they just follow their conditioning & behave with conformity. If you see more Coca-Cola adverts then the cola you'll be is more likely to be Coca-Cola. If you hear SM58 all the time then you'll most likely buy an SM58 (absolutely silly purchase, the AKG D5 is fantastic in comparison & cheaper too). When it comes to headphones, 7506 is the reference that comes up the most. Just because it's already been repeated more than any other, so if you're writing an article you feel obliged to mention them. If you didn't you'd probably get letters calling you names. Even i'd mention them...but only to point out how utterly useless they are.

- JBL LSR308 monitors
The rest of my gear :

#1018520 - 12/20/10 05:29 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: RickD]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

Quote:
How can anyone mix on these things, seriously.

no one should ever mix with headphones.

fine, for detail work and checking mixes, but don't use em for mixing.

#1018729 - 12/21/10 04:44 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: gonzo]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I doubt that cinching a pair of nearfield monitors with great freq. response up around your ears would give you a great reference for mixing either (assuming that weight wasn't an issue). Speakers pushed up against your skull and surrounding your ears don't require the same freq. specs that good monitor speakers do, but actually need a different freq. curve to sound proper. Posting the freq. chart of the 7506 doesn't equate to the negatives of the question of why anyone (or so many) like using them for monitoring.

The headphones are popular because they serve their purpose well. They are light-weight, comfortable and highly portable for a full-sized headphone, yet still allow for detailed monitoring requirements.

They (and a couple of related Sony models... 7509, V6, etc.) happen to work quite nicely for mixing in instances where it would be undesireable, or impossible to use monitor speakers.
Although I don't generally use headphones for mixing these days (as I was once forced to do by circumstances), I can rely on the mix I hear in a pair of 7506 (or V6) to translate to a set of speakers when I need it to. In fact, they work quite well for mixing live music for radio/video when I'm not in the direct line of sight to the music source.

And then there's the fact that, given the time and attention to detail, pretty much any monitor source can be made to translate to a decent mix with enough ear-experience on that system.

Edited by uptildawn (12/21/10 04:45 PM)

#1018760 - 12/21/10 06:15 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: uptildawn]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

i've yet, to hear a pure headphone mix, that translates to my home stereo AND my car.

and i've heard a thousand mixes......

#1018776 - 12/21/10 07:09 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: gonzo]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Spend a few weeks mixing only in headphones on your own system, with your own ears and through your own trial-and-error practice and you'll have the opportunity to hear mixes that translate to your home stereo and car the way you think they ought to, assuming you already have that worked out with speaker monitors to your satisfaction.

Just 'cause you haven't heard other people's mixes that do that doesn't mean it can't, or hasn't been done. As I said, it takes a lot of practice and dedication to learn how to "hear" your headphone-only mixes in a way that will translate.

Of course, it also takes a lot of practice, experience and a working knowledge/skill to get ANY mix to translate well between any home stereo and a car system, no matter the monitoring system... let alone getting those mixes to translate equally well to the millions of other people's home stereos and car systems... In fact, I'm not sure that I've ever heard any CD (commercial or otherwise) translate well between four or five speaker systems... A good average, yes, but there's always something too hot, too weak, too bassy, too edgy... I know I have a long way to go, myself.

#1018980 - 12/22/10 08:41 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: uptildawn]
Stuart Offline
Planeteer

I almost always mix w/ headphones....but asap I will check and adjust using my several near field monitors.

I do the headphone thing cause my hours of music are usually from 1am -5am....when the normal folks are sleeping....

Sometimes I love my mixes and sometimes it takes me 20 mixes to decide Ill get away from this one for awhile....

Practiced...yes, expert?....not by a long shot...but I LOVE the journey just the same!

PS I posted Freq response of the Sony's solely because I hear so many whine about hyped highs or lows and I disagree...I think they are pretty flat.

I do agree mixing on monitors as opposed to headphones will make a good mix easier...

Funny in work the other night someone brought my original Xmas toon up on the computer (unbeknownst to me) and played it through the company phone intercom....groaaaaaaaan...well at least I recognized it...

~J.R.R. Tolkien

PEGSTONE @ IAC
Barnacles & Stone

#1019012 - 12/22/10 11:51 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: Stuart]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

...PS I posted Freq response of the Sony's solely because I hear so many whine about hyped highs or lows and I disagree...I think they are pretty flat...

Noted.... I sometimes get annoyed easily. \:\)

...Funny in work the other night someone brought my original Xmas toon up on the computer (unbeknownst to me) and played it through the company phone intercom....groaaaaaaaan...well at least I recognized it...

know how you feel.

#1044256 - 05/19/11 02:34 AM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: uptildawn]
NOK Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: hanging N the GarAge
i've worn out the simulated leather on my 7506's.. love em... thought i should buy another pair and build small cabinets for the olde pair.. my wife bought me some Boze earbuds.. they have a great sound but they are a distraction ,, feel I have something in my ears.. imagine that
#1193950 - 01/24/13 04:33 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: NOK]
bright Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: New York
Ultrasone PROline 2500 just beats all I have been using this.But the price does matter.I think the price is not affordable to some extent.

#1193970 - 01/24/13 05:52 PM Re: Looking for heavenly headphones [Re: bright]
RickD Offline
Planeteer

Since my last post i have bought a pair of AKG K272HD, for 110 Euros new.
Lack bass, lack bass extension, something very weird happening in the upper mids, as if there were some filter or phase issue with those frequencies : things just don't sound like they should. A trained sound-engineer friend of mine bought the same pair the same day and has as much to say about them as i do.
Comfortable, fairly balanced, very good isolation...but that's it.
Disappointed.

- JBL LSR308 monitors
The rest of my gear :

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849695 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.026 seconds in which 0.002 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.