Loc: Keller, TX
oops
#745639 - 08/23/08 05:16 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Brian Roberts]
klaus dibbelt Offline
Planeteer

Loc: erzhausen, germany, europe
 Originally Posted By: Brian Roberts
 Originally Posted By: klaus dibbelt

we should make sure to bring up Hitler more often! ;\)

Well, extreme historical circumstances often provide the most crystal-clear framework for making a case-in-point argument regarding human nature.

i wasn´t aware you were discussing human nature.

i personally think that such hypotheticals are pretty pointless, and can be used to argue for or against anything. i could, for example, argue that - had hate speech been prohibited, in the first place - Hitler would have been imprisoned instead of coming into power.

Quote:

Brian, i understand your point but i don´t see how it is an objection to what i said.

Do I have to object? \:p

no, you are perfectly entitled to change the subject when responding to a post of mine. \:p

Quote:
Oh, well you said:
sometimes i wish back the times when i could be sure that something that was published or made public had undergone a minimum of quality control.

You mean like when “Mein Kampf” was published—that kind of minimum quality control? (Sorry for sticking with my framework here. ;\) )

no, i didn´t mean opinion control, i meant quality control in the way i described it.

Quote:
And you said:
…in times of mass media this comes with a drawback, imo. not only is everybody allowed to voice their opinion, but apparently everybody is even offered a stage to voice whatever happens to flash through their confused heads…

But my point is that even though that statement IS true, at least the TRUTH cannot be ENTIRELY SUPPRESSED as it is in totalitarian situations.
[/quote]
the truth (not sure whether you are talking about facts or dissident opinions, but my objection goes for both) has never been ENTIRELY SUPPRESSED in totalitarian situations.

Quote:

i didn´t advocate opinion control

…and I don’t think I said you did…

ok, i was assuming you were responding to my post.
maybe you just wanted to add something (as opposed to giving an objection), but i think that what you wanted to add had already been conceded in my post.
i´m not sure what your point is.

is your point that there was never a quality control of the sort i was talking about, in the first plac?
is your point that totalitarianism has a lesser chance today than back then?

Quote:

what i regret is the increase in loudness and intensity of everything (and you would be correct in holding against me that along with the intensity and loudness with which ignorance comes down to us expertise and wisdom can increase their intensity and loudness just the same).

“Loudness” is entirely dependent on individual perception and choice.

yes. consider my rant being a description of my individual perception if that helps. it wasn´t meant to be any more than that.
 Quote:
If I choose not to hear you (or anyone), you (and they) are not loud at all. No doubt there are numerous sites on the internet specifically dedicated to espousing hatred of one ethnicity or religion or nationality or sexual preference—but I don’t hear them at all because I would not frequent those sites. Those inclined to frequent such sites probably already have their minds made up on those topics and nothing short of a life-changing event will dissuade them from their self-chosen world view. On the other hand, if they espouse those same views in a general public forum—such as this one, which I do frequent—I will gladly take them on head-to-head so that their vileness is exposed for what it is. Usually though, there are plenty of others in line for the job more vocal than I and way ahead of me—so I just leave it at that.

you could make your point even more parsimonously: if i don´t like the internet, i don´t have to go there. and you would be perfectly right.

Quote:
I’m not arguing that freedom of speech by itself or the Internet by itself will eradicate totalitarianism—however, I will argue that the more wide-spread the truth, the more wide-spread public support it generates. I don’t know if the Internet might have prevented Hitler’s rise to power—but it likely would have made it more difficult for him to conceal truths and fool the entire population as someone, somewhere—even an un-edited, non-controlled, un-educated person would be capable of posting the truth about the situation—and the more it was confirmed and verified, the more it would spread. And THAT is what was not even possible back in the “good-old-days” of vetted and filtered centrally-controlled publishing.

i´d wager that the ratio truth vs. untruth remains by and large the same. it´s just a far greater amount of information that i feel unable to identify as truth or untruth.

even the "gentle art of persuasion" gets an ugly, shrill voice if it must use a megaphone to make itself heard. in an environment where huge amplifiers are set to 11 twentyfourseven the gentle art of playing an acoustic guitar does not even have a chance of proving its beauty.

Well, I think that particular analogy is maybe a bit stretched. (although I agree on a musical level ;\) ).[/quote]
i don´t think it´s stretched. watch tv, take a look at what sort of communication is presented as "normal".

what i am complaining about: when reading the newspaper, listening to the radio or watching tv i am expecting experts to voice their opinions so that i can form an educated opinion.

Maybe you should adjust your expectations accordingly.[/quote]
what else can i do, anyways?
but one can dream, once in a while.
 Quote:
I think there are still plenty of credible pundits out there too if you just look for them, however, personally I do not even begin to rely on them to form my opinion—I look at the facts presented by them—I look at the facts presented by the opposition as well. True, I have limited ability to verify the facts, but I can at least apply common-sense to derive a level of plausibility. I try to dismiss or minimize any emotion-based rhetoric (as I do here also) unless I’m totally just “playing”—horsing around. And when Paul makes some outrageous statement with absolutely no backing logic—such as “being a Muslim is un-American”—I dismiss it out-of-hand. If he had provided arguments, maybe I would have argued—but as it was, I probably assumed he was just wise-cracking in some way that made humorous sense in his mind even if I didn’t see the humor—that or he was trying to lead into some point with a controversial statement that he knew would not bear up under close scrutiny. I’ve seen this type of rhetorical device used by lecturers and professors etc. Not saying I agree with it—but it doesn’t “rock my world” either.

good for you.
if i don´t like it, i needn´t come here. if i don´t want to see bullshit i don´t need to read the bildzeitung and should look away whenever i see its headlines. the fact that millions read it daily does not need to bother me. that tv creates an image of what´s normal into the heads of millions needn´t be skin off my nose - i need not watch it.
i just have to live with the results that this has in real life, and i don´t like them. when the attention span of the persons around me has dropped dramatically within three decades i don´t like it. when their sensitivity to sensual stimuli has dropped significantly i don´t like it. it makes life more unpleasant, to me.
sure, i can either withdraw from this world or adjust my expectations. i don´t like neither, but what´s left anyways.
maybe once in a while i can make a shy attempt of bringing up the aspects that i´d like to be kept in mind. that the immediate response is a reference to Hitler and totalitarianism shows me how dead the horse is that i am beating.

Quote:
…when i read the newspaper i want to see facts, not rumours. seeing that e.g. paulb thinks that rumours are not only newsworthy, but that there is a duty to report about rumours is a good example for the development i am regretting. trash becoming the norm.

I would question your use of the work “reports” here—Paul doesn’t so much “report” as throw rocks at a hornets nest to see what kind of buzz he can create—and he usually succeeds from what I can tell. That he often gets “shot down” is all just part of the game, eh? ;\)

sorry for being a spoilsport. i should either play the game or go away. point taken. pointless whining isn´t helpful with anything.

i guess i´m just getting old.

#745642 - 08/23/08 05:23 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: T57Strat]
Silversmith Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Commanda, Canada
Ban me. I wasn't even drinking (or smoking) last night.

Carl - did the US try to invade Canada during the Revolutionary war or after (or before)?

The big battle in Quebec took place in 1759 on the Plains of Abraham and was the pivotal battle in North America between the French and the English. (The English won.) All in all the Plains of Abraham are not that big. Also as a side note - Quebec City is the only walled city in North America.

Andy on Soundcloud

#745653 - 08/23/08 05:59 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Silversmith]
vvvm Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Clark & Washington
 Originally Posted By: Silversmith
Also as a side note - Quebec City is the only walled city in North America.

Izzat to keep y'all in?

CarlM: mellowness and tolerance is the keys to life, my friend.

I got lotsa other useless advice I don't heed, just ask!

Also, you was only banned acuz you gimme the power! What with sayin' I'm a mod and all. (I'm really more a rocker.) ;\)

VSPlanutt Arteeste Toonajz .
Sum mo' choonz.
Da Blog.

Spankin' trolls and makin' 'em cry since the last century.

#745658 - 08/23/08 06:06 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: vvvm]
Silversmith Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Commanda, Canada
What - you don't like wearing bell bottom pants and Edwardian jackets?

Andy on Soundcloud

#745662 - 08/23/08 06:12 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Silversmith]
vvvm Offline
Planeteer

Around here, ...

... lately, ...

... camo pants, ...

... and a flak jacket.

Sum mo' choonz.
Da Blog.

#745665 - 08/23/08 06:50 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: vvvm]
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
Y'know, I went to buy some camo pants the other day…

…but I couldn't find them! \:D

#745667 - 08/23/08 06:57 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Mooseboy]
Geo Offline
Planeteer

Loc: within that soul of mine
Heck, I don't even agree with myself a lot of times.

I remember a number of threads where two people are chatting, and interspersed between each comment were Paul's nonsense. The two posters just keep on chatting and ignoring, and Paul keeps commenting. It's like watching a game of keep away.

That's the proper approach to offensive posts in my opinion, unless you're truly a Moderator. Or, if you like, blow the whistle if its in violation of the rules.

The way in is the way out.

#745668 - 08/23/08 07:01 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Carl M]
Timster Offline
Artist #'s - 130, 298, 412
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Center of the Universe
Good morning people, I hope you all slept well.

https://soundcloud.com/tim-jensrud/tracks

#745735 - 08/23/08 09:28 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Geo]
vvvm Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Geo

I remember a number of threads where two people are chatting, and interspersed between each comment were Paul's nonsense. The two posters just keep on chatting and ignoring, and Paul keeps commenting. It's like watching a game of keep away.

That's the proper approach to offensive posts in my opinion, unless you're truly a Moderator. Or, if you like, blow the whistle if its in violation of the rules.

Hmmm.

To me that's like saying to keep swimming, even though someone's dropping turds in the pool.

Sum mo' choonz.
Da Blog.

#745739 - 08/23/08 09:38 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Geo]
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota

Actually, you're probably seeing two people who both have paulb on their ignore list. They don't even see his posts any more.

#745742 - 08/23/08 09:51 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Mooseboy]
virtualan Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Sauchie, Scotland, UK
 Quote:
Hmmm.

To me that's like saying to keep swimming, even though someone's dropping turds in the pool.

That's life!

My Website : My YouTube Channel : Facebook : SoundCloud

#745747 - 08/23/08 10:04 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: klaus dibbelt]
Brian Roberts Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Department of Inexplicable...
[sorry for being a spoilsport. i should either play the game or go away. point taken. pointless whining isn´t helpful with anything.

I have limited response time at the moment, but I want to say that even after all this time, I think perhaps there are some things I say that do not translate well--either because of the language difference, or (more likely I think) cultural differences. I certainly was not implying in any way that you are a "spoilsport" or that you should even indulge yourself in Paul's silly games anyway--I was just meaning that if Paul gets his proverbial knuckles wrapped because of some of the outrageous things he says, then he should expect that as it's part of his game.

And I do get your point about the shrillness of the tone today--one only has to flip through the majority of the daytime or early evening (hell, anytime day or night) television channels in America to see the sheer idiocy that passes as "entertainment"--and even I am guilty of getting "sucked in" to it once in a rare while--but mostly the talk shows just turn my stomach--they're aimed at lowest-common-denominator bottom-feeding mentality--and it does not reflect well on our direction as a society I think.

But I'd rather suffer that than have someone else dictate what is sufficiently culturally "worthy" or of sufficient quality--it reeks too much of censorship. And with censorship comes immense power. And with immense power comes inevitable corruptions (as conventional wisdom would have it--and I see no reason to disagree).

The "quality" material is, and always has been, "out there" for those who seek it out. The trick is to lure them away from the bread and circuses long enough to care.

"hey, what's a half-step among friends?"
Old songwriters never die...they just decompose. \:p

#745786 - 08/23/08 11:09 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Brian Roberts]
klaus dibbelt Offline
Planeteer

Loc: erzhausen, germany, europe
 Originally Posted By: Brian Roberts

I have limited response time at the moment, but I want to say that even after all this time, I think perhaps there are some things I say that do not translate well--either because of the language difference, or (more likely I think) cultural differences. I certainly was not implying in any way that you are a "spoilsport" or that you should even indulge yourself in Paul's silly games anyway

no problem, Brian, that was my conclusion.

Quote:
And I do get your point about the shrillness of the tone today--one only has to flip through the majority of the daytime or early evening (hell, anytime day or night) television channels in America to see the sheer idiocy that passes as "entertainment"--and even I am guilty of getting "sucked in" to it once in a rare while--but mostly the talk shows just turn my stomach--they're aimed at lowest-common-denominator bottom-feeding mentality--and it does not reflect well on our direction as a society I think.

yes, that´s about what i mean, but i don´t think it´s just tv.

Quote:
But I'd rather suffer that than have someone else dictate what is sufficiently culturally "worthy" or of sufficient quality--it reeks too much of censorship.

while i conceded already in my initial rant that it´s hard to prevent that a quality control turns into opinion control (and also conceded that i don´t have a solution for the problem i see), i don´t think that it´s a good idea to a priori label anything that could be done to improve the quality with a big word like "censorship". that´s, btw., also part of what i mean by "loudness": it´s hard to voice an idea without anyone immediately pulling a term that works from an exaggeration of what´s been said.
e.g. we do have quality control in schools and in universities - would you call that censorship?
 Quote:
And with censorship comes immense power. And with immense power comes inevitable corruptions (as conventional wisdom would have it--and I see no reason to disagree).

i´m not advocating censorship. but now you mention it:
without censorship there is immense power and corruption at work as well.
we can discuss what kind of means is likely to increase power and corruption, but this black and white thing does not really do justice to the problems, imo.
i think the way "information" is presented today (almost exclusively as a diffuse mixture of information, opinion and entertainment)means exerting a lot of power, as well.

Quote:
The "quality" material is, and always has been, "out there" for those who seek it out. The trick is to lure them away from the bread and circuses long enough to care.

i would agree to a certain extent. but with the immense increase of input we are facing it the efforts required to tell one from the other have increased dramatically, too, and particularly in view of the fact that they are purposefully presented as a mixture.
it takes so much effort to blind unwanted things out. like, i just don´t know why the radio news need to have music in the background. it´s noise that requires mental effort to ignore and listen to the information. it´s manipulative.

a question you have brought up i find really interesting to think about: has the internet increased/improved our ability to form an educated opinion? i highly doubt that (but it´s well possible that i am missing a few relevant aspects).
let´s pick just one event. say 9/11. was it an attack or was it an inside job? how would we have formed an opinion on that question before the internet, and how do we do it today? we can find countless theories, opinion pieces, evidence either way, information (true or false?), statements, pictures and movies (edited/fabricated?) etc. etc.
i feel completely unable to evaluate all this available input and to even only tend towards one or the other version.

#745836 - 08/24/08 01:27 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: vvvm]
BassPlayer Offline
Planeteer

Loc: North Georgia
 Originally Posted By: vvvm
"thin-skinned loudmouths"?

Thankyaveddymucho.

mevvv, I didn't mean you, FWIW. I mostly find your polemics measured and reasonable. But I do think you've judged paulb a little harshly. JMO.

Look, we all know who the guys are here that jump down someone's throat at the tiniest provocation; they're always looking for something to go off on and paulb's their favorite target. He has become the poster boy scapegoat for bullies. Perhaps he serves a more valuable purpose than some realize as the Planet's lightening rod. I'm just a little sick of all the insults, that's all, and he takes it with much better humor than many of youse. Although I've never met the man in person, IMO he's OK.

Hey Havlicek:

#745846 - 08/24/08 01:53 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: BassPlayer]
Vanillagrits Offline
Planeteer

Here's that pesky bit of truth again:

Originally Posted By: gonzo
right there, at the entrance to the bar and grille, it says:

Quote:
General/OT Discussion - WARNING: Be aware that this forum may contain language and subject matter objectionable to some persons. But having said that, people, be good to each other.
Moderator: T57Strat, GAWZDigitalUnderground

so, nobody twists your arm to come into this place.
if you don't like what you see, simply leave.

The ignore function is easy to use if PaulB bothers anyone that bad.

#745849 - 08/24/08 02:05 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: klaus dibbelt]
Doofie Offline
Doofie
Planeteer

Loc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
The invasions of 1775-76 were part of the revolutionary war. Battles were fought in Quebec, and in the maritimes. The US forces held Montreal for a short time. In advancing to Quebec city the US met with a strong defending force and US forces were not only defeated but eventually driven back to and beyond there own borders. As far as blaming it on the weather, both sides were fighting under the same weather conditions. While the US forces may not have been prepared for the weather conditions, they were certainly not prepared for the military response they received when they got here.

Smithy's reference to a failed US attempt to invade Canada, then under British rule, was the War of 1812. Interesting local battles include the Battle of Stoney Creek and the Battle of Beaver Dams. The US military somehow thought the local folks would welcome the US "freedom fighters" ( I guess the same way Iraq was supposed to welcome the GWB "freedom fighters"). Instead the US troops met with strong and resolute opposition. The US never again tried to conquer Canada using military action. The War of 1812 is considered the beginnings of the growing spirit of a Canadian identity. French Canadians, English Canadians and Aboriginals fought on a common front against a single opponent. They fought in defense of their home. We should almost say thanks to the US military for solidifying our resolve.

But that was then and this is now. We are friends and allies, and we support our neighbours to the south whenever they are in need. Likewise we are grateful for their support of our own efforts.

Oh, and the Battle of The Plains of Abraham was part of The Seven Years War between England and France. England, by right of conquest, gained control of Lower Canada (Quebec). We are still feeling the effects of it.
-Seneca The Younger ~76AD

I'm David McMillan. My friends call me Chuck.

#745855 - 08/24/08 02:23 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Doofie]
Geo Offline
Planeteer

Ever listen to Acadian Driftwood on Northern Lights/Southern Cross by The Band. Great tune.

Speaking of the Ignore function, never used it.

#745856 - 08/24/08 02:23 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Geo]
Geo Offline
Planeteer

Hey, do any of you have me on ignore? Oh, wait. Never mind.

#745859 - 08/24/08 02:30 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Geo]
T57Strat Offline
Artist #40
Planeteer

What happens if you put yourself on ignore? . . . .
#745861 - 08/24/08 02:34 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: T57Strat]
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I tried that, it doesn't work. I got one ignore, I'm pleased as punch.

#745868 - 08/24/08 03:35 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: T57Strat]
Vanillagrits Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: T57Strat
What happens if you put yourself on ignore? . . . .

I tried but it wasn't an option.

Ignoring you is not an option either.

I guess ignorance is not an option.

#745871 - 08/24/08 03:50 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Vanillagrits]
NOK Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: hanging N the GarAge
my poodles are snoring should I sleep also

where's the guy with puppies in his pockets when you need him \:p

#745876 - 08/24/08 03:58 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: NOK]
vvvm Offline
Planeteer

So lemme ask ya's, am I not giving in somehow, to put someone on ignore?

I think so.

Not that they ran me off, no.

But that thier incorrectness, the very thing some would have me ignore, goes un-rebutted.

Better that I be able to point out what butt heads they are.

Or in the case of too many, what arseholes.

Sum mo' choonz.
Da Blog.

#745888 - 08/24/08 04:18 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: vvvm]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Loc: CornvILLe
You own earplugs, Mevvv? ;\)
#745903 - 08/24/08 05:06 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: BassPlayer]
Dave Morris Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 75
Planeteer

Loc: Waterloo, Ontario
 Originally Posted By: BassPlayer

Look, we all know who the guys are here that jump down someone's throat at the tiniest provocation; they're always looking for something to go off on and paulb's their favorite target. He has become the poster boy scapegoat for bullies.

Well, I have argued with paulb too many times, so I assume I am in your bully category.
If you think that I jump down his throat at the tiniest provocation, then I submit that you are not paying any attention to the things he says. Either that, or you don't care what he says - for whatever reason.
When he says things like " US Muslims are unAmerican", or implies that everyone on Social security is a crack addict, or that people who are unemployed needing assistance are mostly lazy bums - and you think those are tiny provocations - I can only assume you agree with him.
These are just a few of the outrageous things he says, and he never defends those statements when questioned. He just talks in circles, makes things up, and generally wastes peoples time, energy and caring.
I realize he is a Christian, and maybe for you that makes him ok, regardless of anything else he does. Or maybe you agree with him, so you don't see what the fuss is about, or maybe you think he is just funnin with everybody. I don't know.
But I can assure you, as far as I am concerned, I don't see his provocations as tiny. Personally, I made the decision recently that I will no longer have any conversation with him. And it isn't because I don't agree with him - its because he will not debate with integrity and honesty.

#745906 - 08/24/08 05:28 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Dave Morris]
T57Strat Offline
Artist #40
Planeteer

Did I mention I'm glad I don't moderate any more? When I did, I would cringe at every post he made, knowing shit was being stirred up and whistles would begin to blow, but he was dancing on the edge and nothing I could do. Not my call any more.
#745907 - 08/24/08 05:54 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: T57Strat]
Vanillagrits Offline
Planeteer

Dave, youve been patient beyond belief with Paul. You and I have had some disagreements, but they've always been friendly and you are anything but a bully.....but everyone knows that.

To be truthful, it would be a lot easier and safer to take the conservative side of a debate if he was not stirring things so hard.

The way VVVmmmm deals with Paul is the best way if you feel you have to confront it. He calls it what it is, states his disdain and never gets into a personal or violent mode. I respaect how he does things, it's not a battle I care to fight but I can understand you feel differently.

The way other folks confront him with personal attacks and threats of violence is just as wrong as what Paul does and should be called out as such.

Travis, I hope things get better work wise for you. June and I both wish good things for you.

#745909 - 08/24/08 06:21 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Vanillagrits]
T57Strat Offline
Artist #40
Planeteer

Thanks VG, y'alls kindness is very much appreciated.
#745918 - 08/24/08 09:09 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Dave Morris]
BassPlayer Offline
Planeteer

Loc: North Georgia
 Originally Posted By: Dave Morris
Well, I have argued with paulb too many times, so I assume I am in your bully category.

No Dave, you're not deliberately insulting and offensive. A little misguided at times, but I think you're an alright guy. I'm sure that gives you a great sense of relief. ;\)

Yes, I agree with paulb on many things. Not everything. I also recognize that he likes to stir the pot. There are some other shit-stirrers here who don't get nearly the abuse he does. He says some hasty things and tends to speak in generalizations, but in that regard I don't think he's any worse than some others here. I just don't see the need for all the insults he's been subjected to. Some folks here are laced up a little tight. Maybe we should all cut each other some slack.

#745933 - 08/24/08 11:34 AM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Geo]
drhek2004 Offline
Planeteer

Reminds me of this obnoxious bass player I jammed with in the 80s. The one and only time I lost my cool with him was when he was doing a similar thing as I was talking to the drummer and his dad. When it came to my responses, he'd start blowing into a bottle and muttered nonsence. The first couple times was kinda funny in a way. But after a while it became very aggravating. To the point where I was clinching my fists til my knuckles were white (as my drummer told me - I was blinded by anger at the time). Anyway, it got to the point where I just got up, rammed the bottle in the dudes mouth, chipping his teeth and knocking him flat on his back. Lucky for him, the drummer and his dad were there; Otherwise, I have no idea how far I wouldve went.

Edited by drhek2004 (08/24/08 12:02 PM)

#745934 - 08/24/08 12:13 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: drhek2004]
Dan Barnes Offline
I sing, I love, I love to sing.
Planeteer

Loc: Joshua Tree, CA USA
Since all this is clap trap is going on forever...

Fuck paulb.

He's an ass. Always has been an ass, always is an ass, always will be an ass. If we continue to feed his fucked up hunger for demented attention, we deserve what we get. For me, I'll continue to ignore him until I happen to read what someone quotes him on, and I will reiterate that which he already knows. That he is an ass.

Even if you make the point that he is only acting like an ass, he's an ass for doing it, so fuck him.

As to whether he should be banned or not, I don't give a shit. Not my call anyway. But I'll not stop telling him what he is even at the risk being banned myself.

Character assassination? Maybe. But some characters deserve just that.

Edited by Dan Barnes (08/24/08 12:27 PM)
Edit Reason: clarity

#745937 - 08/24/08 12:41 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Dan Barnes]
avetter11 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Illinois
Tell us how you really feel Dan... ;\)

I hope you're not hurting too bad today Dan, I feel for ya bud.

Truth exists, only falsehood has to be invented.-Georges Braque

#745938 - 08/24/08 12:43 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: Dan Barnes]
kendall Offline
Planeteer

Loc: amsterdam, netherlands
It's great when those so well deserving,
get such a cursing.

#745942 - 08/24/08 01:24 PM Re: our friend paulb [Re: kendall]
havlicek Offline
Planeteer

Loc: East Hampton, NY
I think a little perspective is a good thing. I mean, there are times when it seems that the majority of posts here consist of:

1)Meaningless threads twisting the titles of other threads for comic relief...but not really meant to be replied to.

2)Horseshit "flooding"...sometimes a half dozen posts in a row by the same person(s). Nobody seems to care much as long as it all dovetails with their POV.

3)Threads meant to inflame and cause arguments by the same groups on both sides that know and can predict the reactions...what's the point?

4)Hack cut and paste jobs, again by the same people (on either side) with the same intent.

The whole purpose of places like this is to engage other people with as little interference from the moderators as is possible. When discussing things of a scientific or strictly factual nature, real information can be passed-along and shared. When discussing things of a political or philosophical nature, the least that can be gained is an understanding of how other people's minds work. Even if you don't care to find that out or think you know it all, the discussions among those who wish to participate can go on just fine without you. Even if you "hate" a person's online self as portrayed here and think you're better than him/her, the reality is that there are surely people who think you're just as big (or bigger) an asshole as you think they are...guar-an-friggin'-teed.

There's nothing so special going on here content-wise that Paul "ruins" for the rest of the members. Have a look back a few pages at the thread subjects. It's a nice place to hang and discuss stuff, and it's a unique place too. The uniqueness comes from both the "light handed" approach of the moderators, as well as the variety of personalities.

-john

-John Havlicek (from "How To Spot An Internet Idiot", © 2012)

Page 5 of 8 « First<34567>Last »

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159759 Topics
1849704 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.044 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.