Page 1 of 4 1234>
Topic Options
#762334 - 09/22/08 01:55 PM am I a goner?
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Australia
tonight when I powered up I got a blank screen, then " don't match CPU". No boot up button combination would register. I've a vs840 ex with an addonics cf reader thanks to this brilliant web site. I think I may have powered down last night before she was ready. I can't get it to the point of receiving midi as the above message changes to "can't version up" and then not much else.
Were there any other steps before taking it in to a Roland repairer (if I can find one)
Melbourne Australia

#762547 - 09/22/08 10:57 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
dhart Offline
Planeteer

Loc: albany, ny
If it's saying 'can't version up' then maybe reinstalling the EX upgrade would help. If you don't have a copy repost or PM me, I can email it to you.

See this link, from searching 'don't match cpu'. Not promising.

http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubbth...true#Post685410

Good luck

#762601 - 09/23/08 01:07 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: dhart]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Loc: CornvILLe
IF you have your ZIP drive still, you can recover your VS-840, I believe.

First, take a ZIP 100 disk that has been formatted in your VS-840, and put it in your PC's ZIP drive. You may need to disconnect your CD/DVD drive in your PC and temporarily connect your ZIP 100 drive to your PC's 2nd IDE bus and power. Download and unzip this file http://vs840.vjam.net/vs840v205z.zip to your desktop and then COPY or DRAG and DROP the file named $SYSPRO2.VS1 to the ZIP 100 disk.

After writing the file to the ZIP 100 disk, eject it, power down your PC, remove the ZIP 100 drive and reinstall it in your VS-840.

Then follow the ROLAND SERVICE MANUAL (FEBRUARY 1999) instructions below. If installing the ZIP disk when the VS-840EX is OFF and then powering it on does NOT reinstall your OS and recover your system as described in the last instruction below, you MAY need to resort to the "Compelling Version up" procedure. It is, I believe, the same procedure a Roland Service Center Representative would do to recover your VS-840 (and charge you $150):

Quote:
VS-840EX SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATE

* CAUTION!!
Do not turn off the VS-840EX during it's system software updating. If not, the program in the flash memory is destroyed. In this case, perform the compelling version-up procedure to recover it.

The VS-840 sytem software is supplied in the standard MIDI file (SMF) data format (P/No. 17048943)

Each system disk contains the following SMF data. Load these data to VS-840EX, starting with Disk 1 (VS84EX-1.MID).

VS-840EX System Ver. *.** SMF Disk 1

VS84EX-1.MID
VS84EX-2.MID
VS84EX-3.MID
VS84EX-4.MID

VS-840EX System Ver. *.** SMF Disk 2

VS84EX-5.MID
VS84EX-6.MID
VS84EX-7.MID
VS84EX-8.MID

Update the VS-840EX by following the procedure described below.

1. Connect the MIDI OUT of a MIDI sequencer capable of playing back SMF data in sequence (e.g., SB-55) to MIDI IN of VS-840EX, through a MIDI cable.

2. Holding MODE, INPUT and ENTER buttons, turn on VS-840EX.

3. The message "Receive MID-EX?" will be displayed. Press YES button.

4. Verify that "Now Waiting ..." is displayed. Playback all SMFs in the order of number.

5. The message "Version Up?" will appear. Press YES button.

6. The message "User Area Update? will appear. Press YES button.

7. When the message "END!!! Please POWER OFF/ON" appears, Turn OFF and then ON VS-840EX.

This completes updating.

Initialization, User area, VS-840EX system software update using the ZIP DISK (P/No. 17048942)

VS-480EX can also be updated by using the System Data ZIP DISK. hen using the ZIP DISK, VS-840EX can be upgraded either of the following 2 ways.

1. Using standard version-up procedure. This procedure keeps the user data unchanged (no initialization).

2. To initialize the user data or loading the factory presets, the compelling version-up procedure must be followed.

Standard version-up procedure

1. Insert the latest System Data ZIP DISK into VS-840EX ZIP drive. Turn on VS-840EX.

2. The message "Version up?" appears. Press YES button.

3. When the message "Are you sure?" appears, press YES button. The program displays "SYSTEM WRITE", indicating it starts version-up sequence.

4. Upon "END!!! Please POWER OFF/ON" message, turn OFF and then ON VS-840EX.

This completes updating.

Compelling version up

1. Holding down TR1, TR2, TR3, TR4 and RIGHT buttons, turn on VS-840EX. (NOTE: The TR1, TR2, TR3, TR4 buttons are the round buttons labeled A, B, C, D below the TRACK CUE rotary faders).

2. The message "Clear Flash?" will appear. Press YES button.

3. The message "Are you sure?" will appear. Press YES button.

4. The program displays "SYSTEM WRITE", indicating that it is clearing flash memory.

5. Upon "END!!! Please POWER OFF/ON" message, turn OFF VS-840EX.

6. Insert the System Data ZIP DISK into the drive. Holding down PLAY, REC and ENTER buttons, turn ON VS-840EX.

7. The program displays "BAD FLASH!!" and then "SYSTEM WRITE", indicating that it is starting compelling version-up sequence.

8. Upon "END!!!! Please RESET!" message, turn OFF and then ON VS-840EX.

This completes compelling updating.

To recover the unit after Error Message has been displayed

When error messge "Don't match CPU" or "Can't Version Up" has been displayed and locks up from the power off during Eject or Shut down, you need to re-load the System program. Please refer to the following procedure.

1. Insert the System Data ZIP DISK into the VS-840EX drive and then turn ON the VS-840EX.

2. The display may show "BAD FLASH!!" and then "SYSTEM WRITE.". The compelling version-up starts.

3. After "END!!! Please RESET!" is displayed, turn the power OFF and ON again.

4. Complete.

#762611 - 09/23/08 01:18 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

Thanks ..I do happen to have the required formatted disc , zip drive , a powermac (which I have been able to use to upgrade to EX before), and most of today spare to play. ..wish me luck, and I'll let you know how I get on. Incidently, I rang the local repairers for post warrantee Roland gear in Melbourne (Logitronics) and they were less than interested. Cheers for now,

#762623 - 09/23/08 01:34 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

PLEASE NOTE that IF you are using a ZIP 100 SYSTEM UPDATE DISK that you have used before, the 840 writes a file to the disk that says the update has already been performed, so the disk won't work a 2nd time WITHOUT deleting that file. Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the file and can't find the post(s) where JimY mentioned it in the past. It should be obvious, though.

The one you need to have in the root directory of the ZIP 100 disk is $SYSPRO2.VS1

#762639 - 09/23/08 01:55 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

I think I may be in more trouble than I thought....
After finding that the unit wouldn't boot up off the disc I resorted to the Compelling version up but the TR1 TR2 TR3 TR4 & Right button combination has not brought me to the "Clear Flash?" screen. I am still getting "Don't match CPU". (I assume the 'right' button refers to the cursor buttons). I have a sinking feeling

#762649 - 09/23/08 02:14 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

You put the disk in the drive with the power OFF then turned it on?
#762657 - 09/23/08 02:27 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

YEP, 'fraid so

#762662 - 09/23/08 02:42 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

The "right" button does indeed refer to the right "cursor" button.

The only thing I can't confirm, DrJugband, is whether the ZIP disk referenced in the procedure (by part number) is the same as a ZIP disk created by copying the $SYSPRO2.VS1 file to a VS-840 formatted disk.

Is the disk you are using a '1st time' system update disk? What files are in the root directory of the disk?

#762670 - 09/23/08 03:13 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

I'm using a disc that has had songs recorded on it :
The files present are..
SYSTEM.VS1
SONGLIST.VR8
SONG0001.VS1
SONG0000.VS1
$SYSPRO2.VS1

#762671 - 09/23/08 03:15 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

I DON'T THINK THAT THE UNIT IS EVEN TAKING A LOOK AT THE FILES EVEN THOUGH the zip drive is powering up. That wouldn't explain the lack of action when trying a Compelling Version Up.

#762673 - 09/23/08 03:16 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

which of the files could I safely erase?

#762676 - 09/23/08 03:24 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Your disk is OK then - I was looking for that file that says the disk has been used before ...

You know Doc, I had one of those errors once (Can't Version Up error), a long time ago and recovered from it. I've never mentioned it because frankly it's embarrassing and I probably just lucked out. I left the disk in it that was in it when I powered improperly and flashed the on off button several times in succession while cursing at the machine. Seriously. And it recovered. Dumb luck, I guess.

What makes that a little weird in my view, is when I first installed the ACS CF drive, I had a Kingston 128Mb CF card, that wouldn't power up with the first power on, but would if I flashed the thing ON / OFF / ON and left it on. For some reason, the dumbass thing needed a pulse of juice to boot up.

So IF it is NOT working for you with a home-made system disk, that tells me the ROLAND system disk referenced by part number in the instructions I posted, is a SERVICE CENTER disk only.

So sorry it didn't work, sparky.

Jack

#762677 - 09/23/08 03:38 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

I guess I am a goner. If anyone gets a hand on one of those elusive discs , I hope they share it around.
Thanks for your time and advice , Cornjerker. I'm off to jiggle my on/off button.

#763179 - 09/24/08 08:51 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

further to the discusion so far, I've had some chats with grahamprie and have not given up hope. I contacted Roland in Sydney and got a very prompt reply. The boys there agreed that the problem probably stemmed from an interruption of power during power down (big lesson learnt there!). They have made me a system zip and have put it in the post to me! Stay tuned for the outcome and perhaps I'll be able to make the necessary files available. Thanks for all the valuable info so far.

#764139 - 09/26/08 02:48 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
bert Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Parsippany, NJ
 Originally Posted By: Cornjerker
IF you have your ZIP drive still, you can recover your VS-840, I believe.

First, take a ZIP 100 disk that has been formatted in your VS-840, and put it in your PC's ZIP drive. You may need to disconnect your CD/DVD drive in your PC and temporarily connect your ZIP 100 drive to your PC's 2nd IDE bus and power. Download and unzip this file http://vs840.vjam.net/vs840v205z.zip to your desktop and then COPY or DRAG and DROP the file named $SYSPRO2.VS1 to the ZIP 100 disk.

After writing the file to the ZIP 100 disk, eject it, power down your PC, remove the ZIP 100 drive and reinstall it in your VS-840.

Then follow the ROLAND SERVICE MANUAL (FEBRUARY 1999) instructions below. If installing the ZIP disk when the VS-840EX is OFF and then powering it on does NOT reinstall your OS and recover your system as described in the last instruction below, you MAY need to resort to the "Compelling Version up" procedure. It is, I believe, the same procedure a Roland Service Center Representative would do to recover your VS-840 (and charge you $150):

Quote:
VS-840EX SYSTEM SOFTWARE UPDATE

* CAUTION!!
Do not turn off the VS-840EX during it's system software updating. If not, the program in the flash memory is destroyed. In this case, perform the compelling version-up procedure to recover it.

The VS-840 sytem software is supplied in the standard MIDI file (SMF) data format (P/No. 17048943)

Each system disk contains the following SMF data. Load these data to VS-840EX, starting with Disk 1 (VS84EX-1.MID).

VS84EX-1.MID
VS84EX-2.MID
VS84EX-3.MID
VS84EX-4.MID

VS84EX-5.MID
VS84EX-6.MID
VS84EX-7.MID
VS84EX-8.MID

Update the VS-840EX by following the procedure described below.

1. Connect the MIDI OUT of a MIDI sequencer capable of playing back SMF data in sequence (e.g., SB-55) to MIDI IN of VS-840EX, through a MIDI cable.

2. Holding MODE, INPUT and ENTER buttons, turn on VS-840EX.

3. The message "Receive MID-EX?" will be displayed. Press YES button.

4. Verify that "Now Waiting ..." is displayed. Playback all SMFs in the order of number.

5. The message "Version Up?" will appear. Press YES button.

6. The message "User Area Update? will appear. Press YES button.

7. When the message "END!!! Please POWER OFF/ON" appears, Turn OFF and then ON VS-840EX.

This completes updating.

Initialization, User area, VS-840EX system software update using the ZIP DISK (P/No. 17048942)

VS-480EX can also be updated by using the System Data ZIP DISK. hen using the ZIP DISK, VS-840EX can be upgraded either of the following 2 ways.

1. Using standard version-up procedure. This procedure keeps the user data unchanged (no initialization).

2. To initialize the user data or loading the factory presets, the compelling version-up procedure must be followed.

Standard version-up procedure

1. Insert the latest System Data ZIP DISK into VS-840EX ZIP drive. Turn on VS-840EX.

2. The message "Version up?" appears. Press YES button.

3. When the message "Are you sure?" appears, press YES button. The program displays "SYSTEM WRITE", indicating it starts version-up sequence.

4. Upon "END!!! Please POWER OFF/ON" message, turn OFF and then ON VS-840EX.

This completes updating.

Compelling version up

1. Holding down TR1, TR2, TR3, TR4 and RIGHT buttons, turn on VS-840EX. (NOTE: The TR1, TR2, TR3, TR4 buttons are the round buttons labeled A, B, C, D below the TRACK CUE rotary faders).

2. The message "Clear Flash?" will appear. Press YES button.

3. The message "Are you sure?" will appear. Press YES button.

4. The program displays "SYSTEM WRITE", indicating that it is clearing flash memory.

5. Upon "END!!! Please POWER OFF/ON" message, turn OFF VS-840EX.

6. Insert the System Data ZIP DISK into the drive. Holding down PLAY, REC and ENTER buttons, turn ON VS-840EX.

7. The program displays "BAD FLASH!!" and then "SYSTEM WRITE", indicating that it is starting compelling version-up sequence.

8. Upon "END!!!! Please RESET!" message, turn OFF and then ON VS-840EX.

This completes compelling updating.

To recover the unit after Error Message has been displayed

When error messge "Don't match CPU" or "Can't Version Up" has been displayed and locks up from the power off during Eject or Shut down, you need to re-load the System program. Please refer to the following procedure.

1. Insert the System Data ZIP DISK into the VS-840EX drive and then turn ON the VS-840EX.

2. The display may show "BAD FLASH!!" and then "SYSTEM WRITE.". The compelling version-up starts.

3. After "END!!! Please RESET!" is displayed, turn the power OFF and ON again.

4. Complete.

Where the hell did you find this info you beer brewing fuck?

That's a first. Great info. How's the kitchen going?
guitar - Dave and Bert
Bass - Bert
Produced and Recorded - Bert
Drums - Programmed so far

#764158 - 09/26/08 03:19 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: bert]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Hey asshole! I'm gonna need some help drinking that beer so STFU or I'll keep it all to myse'f! \:p \:D As for where gets - a good bloke sent me some info - I just typed it up 'cause I'm tired of seeing 840 users take it on the chin with this stupid error ...

Kitchen is put off for a short while Bert ... sinus infection has me really whupped and dizzy - going in to scan the cat tomorrow to see what the hell is going on ... in the meantime, just doing misc. outdoor jobs none too strenuous - gettin' ready for winter - smoking my little cigars (probably some of the sinus problem) ;\)

I got a fireplace mantle to build too - can I borrow your chop saw?

#764312 - 09/26/08 02:38 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
bert Offline
Planeteer

Jack,

Best of luck to with the scan and health. Try to take it slow for now. As for mantel, what a coincedence I'll be building one this weekend for my buddy too. I put granite around it a few weeeks back and now waiting on stain color from them. Lots of deco trim on it. Should turn out well.

It's that time for winter again. That sucks!!! Hate the cold and so does my bank account. Trying to find out expenses of converting oil to gas and if it's worth it. Can't seem to get a call back from gas company's rep though. Must be the message I keep leaving. "Lack of Money is the big issue" I guess he knows he won't make a profit. I'm considering doing all the work in house I can on converting. But I'm not familiar with furnace conversion yet. Will see.

Sorry for changing subject here guys. I'll stop now.
guitar - Dave and Bert
Bass - Bert

#764323 - 09/26/08 03:10 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: bert]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

FAO to FAG, Bert? I did that back in the 70's - it was worth it then, though the bigger savings came from insulating the dickens out of the house - we blew in R30 or so, put R19 batts under the floor in the crawl space - but didn't have money for windows. Then on this house, we blew in R60 and cut our gas bill in half (we had R0 if you can believe it - in a brick house - which really conducts / convects the cold into the house - insulating the basement and ceiling is about all we can do here - as the previous owner did the window upgrade after the tornado. Still, just the attic to R60 cut the bill in half. The blower was free to borrow with the purchase of cellulose insulation ...
#764790 - 09/27/08 03:37 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

Sorry guys, back on the subject of my dead 840...
The tech guys in sydney got me all excited saying they would send me a disc to reboot off. What they sent was a System data disk (v1.05) and the instructions as above (photocopied from the manual) so I can't complain about them trying. Apparently this is not the same as a "Recovery disk" and so it didn't work. I had basically already tried that with info from Cornjerker (thanks again). I think the key is to get a hold of the ROLAND RECOVERY DISC...either that or something else is majorly stuffed with my motherboard.

PS have you tried flushing your sinuses out with Neilmed? (a buffered saline solution in a squeezy bottle)

#764803 - 09/27/08 03:51 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

DrJB - I too have talked with Graham about this and we concluded they must have a special disk - thinking to the times I've flashed to an upgraded BIOS on my PC, there's always 2 components - the BIOS *.BIN file and the flash program itself. It might just be that there's a consumer level flash update, which is what we have downloaded from the Roland site, and then the tech version which comes with its own flash program on disk. Who knows - but it's damn frustrating to b left out in the cold on this by Roland - and I'd say bordering on extortion to require 840 owners to cough up $150 to re-flash a machine that no more than suffered a power outage.

Can you imagine if our PCs and Macs did that? If we had to send the CPU back to IBM or Apple to re-flash the BIOS ROM?

Roland should make that disk available to users - hell they've abandoned the VS line - the 840 is 10 years old - you can't get a VOM anymore, or a VS4S-1 - the user's manuals are online as PDF's downloadable for free. How 'bout giving us the disk for douching a sprung 840?

#765041 - 09/27/08 04:05 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
dhart Offline
Planeteer

Loc: albany, ny
You're right Jack, it's ridiculous. We don't get any love from Roland despite our loyalty to this ridiculous little box of widgets. What would it cost them to make the files for rescue available? And in denying it to us, do they think it makes us any more likely to buy a future Roland product?

But if Bert is doing his fireplace job now while you put yours off, are you passing the mantel to him? Bert, are you up to the responsibility? (nyuk nyuk nyuk)

sorry. couldn't resist. i'm so ashamed. i should be 'pun'ished.

#765107 - 09/27/08 07:02 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
Bassball Offline
Space Cadet

I know, I should have RTFM, IN ADVANCE instead of following the steps. So today I ABCD+righted my 840, and had no systemdisk, and turned off, and now ´BAD FLASH!!´ and ´can´t versionup´.

So is this the same situation? Is my flash memory gone?

DARN!

#765184 - 09/27/08 09:35 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Bassball]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Why on earth would you do that, Bassball?

That procedure is last-ditch procedure to recover an already blown 840!

Hope you can get your hands on a system disk to fix it. Good luck.

#765195 - 09/27/08 10:18 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
Bassball Offline
Space Cadet

Well, I did a partially 'bad flash' first... and tried to undo that...
A stupid question maybe, but how can one make a system disk? I have a couple of disks with songs on them... but they don't seem to do the job. And I have e zip drive in my computer. Tried adding the 105 and 240 (is that the right number) files, no effect...

#765197 - 09/27/08 10:21 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
Bassball Offline
Space Cadet

(My own stupidity never stops amazing me, but that's less important... don´t rub it in )
#765214 - 09/27/08 11:13 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Bassball]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Bassball
Tried adding the 105 and 240 (is that the right number) files, no effect...

v1.05 and v2.05 are the latest and greatest of the original 840 and the 840EX configurations.

Just to check - the ZIP disk has the file $SYSPRO2.VS1 on it?

You put in the VS-840 while the power is off, then turn it on?

#765295 - 09/28/08 04:02 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: dhart]
bert Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: dhart

sorry. couldn't resist. i'm so ashamed. i should be 'pun'ished.

yep, got to agree with you there Dhart. You should be. ;\) \:\)

As for fixing these 840's nowadays. I think it's easier and sometimes cheaper to pick up one on ebay if you can at 50 to 70 bucks. Someone wanted a scsi adapter awhile back so he/she could transfer 250 disk songs for use after conversion to CF. I had same proplem back when and found another 840 with zip drive for 50. And 2 years back got another gx for 45 because it was a good deal. But I figure once I get back into music again, I'll have standbys once an 840 craps out. I know I'll get a comeback from someone for admitting to having 3 840's and not doing anything with any of them right now. But hey, what can I say, except maybe I'm a collector of electronic junk. Still play my LP's too. \:p

There just so cheap now for what these units can do.
guitar - Dave and Bert
Bass - Bert

#765354 - 09/28/08 10:09 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
Bassball Offline
Space Cadet

[quote=Cornjerker
Just to check - the ZIP disk has the file $SYSPRO2.VS1 on it?

You put in the VS-840 while the power is off, then turn it on?[/quote]

Besides som song-maps, onglist.vr8 and system.vs1, $SYSPRO2.VS1 (960 kb) is there too. Power off, power off play/rec/enter, still 'Can't VersionUp' after 'BAD FLASH!!'.
And of course ABCD/Right won't work now, can't get it to 'midi' too.
Does this mean the flash rom (?) is blocked/crashed? Can it be replaced?

(Bert: this IS my second 840, you are absolutely right! One for homerecording, one on location... down here, in Europe, they still do about $100, but that is mainly because of the poor value the dollar has compared to our 'euro')

#765411 - 09/28/08 02:42 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Bassball]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Based on what users have reported here of that crash over the last 6 years I've been here, only a Roland Service Center can recover your 840. What I've gathered from the few who have reported back after recovering their 840, is that recovery is as simple as booting the 840 up with a special ZIP disk (P/No. 17048942).

I'm going to call Roland US this week about a couple other things (VOM and VS4S-1 availability, their current support policy for the 840) and will ask about that disk - whether they show it in their list of warez offered. Will also get the name/no of a local service rep and talk to them too.

If they have anything to say other than the party line/policy, I'll post up.

#765448 - 09/28/08 03:38 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Bassball]
bert Offline
Planeteer

Baseball,

I wish I could help out with that one. It sseem to me from reading the "compelling version up" format, you will need the midi files labeled disk 1 and 2, containing the info as stated in Jacks post as followed:

VS84EX-1.MID
VS84EX-2.MID
VS84EX-3.MID
VS84EX-4.MID

VS84EX-5.MID
VS84EX-6.MID
VS84EX-7.MID
VS84EX-8.MID

---------------------------------------------

I don't think we have access to those files unless Jack or someone can say otherwise. If I'm correct you may have to ask Roland to send them to you. Maybe letting a rep know that you realize they exist you may get somewhere with them. Just a thought. And don't forget to mention the part #.

I realize there's the zip disk version also (P/No. 17048942). I'm thinking you may need to use the midi version, since Roland didn't seem to realize that when the "BAD FLASH" happens doing a midi upgrade first to 1.05 and then the zip disk upgrade to 2.05 was the way to correct the problem that so many have had in the past. Just another thought. Experiment

Another thought is to make sure you have connected the midi cable correctly. I had made that mistake early on with midi'ing 2 840's together. I put the end labed IN to the 840's labeled IN when it was reversed. Something like that, I forget exactly.
guitar - Dave and Bert
Bass - Bert

#765453 - 09/28/08 03:52 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: bert]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

MIDI PLAYER FOR WINDOWS: http://vs840.vjam.net/SMFPLAYR.ZIP

V1.05 MIDI FILES: http://vs840.vjam.net/VS840v105.zip

V2.05 MIDI FILES: http://vs840.vjam.net/VS840EXv205.zip

#765461 - 09/28/08 04:31 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
bert Offline
Planeteer

Hey Jack, are those upgrades files you just posted the same as to what the compelling version above is referring to? I mean do these files:

VS84EX-1.MID
VS84EX-2.MID
VS84EX-3.MID
VS84EX-4.MID

VS84EX-5.MID
VS84EX-6.MID
VS84EX-7.MID
VS84EX-8.MID

equal the same as the v1.05 and/or v2.05?
guitar - Dave and Bert
Bass - Bert

#765465 - 09/28/08 04:46 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: bert]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: bert
Hey Jack, are those upgrades files you just posted the same as to what the compelling version above is referring to? I mean do these files:

VS84EX-1.MID
VS84EX-2.MID
VS84EX-3.MID
VS84EX-4.MID

VS84EX-5.MID
VS84EX-6.MID
VS84EX-7.MID
VS84EX-8.MID

equal the same as the v1.05 and/or v2.05?

The files in this ZIP archive http://vs840.vjam.net/VS840EXv205.zip are the same as the files listed above.

What I wonder is, from the sounds of the instruction, would it be possible to take 2 VS-840 formatted ZIP 100 disks, park files 1-4 on the 1st disk, and files 5-8 on the 2nd disk, and accomplish the same thing?

I've re-read the instructions above, and I do not think you can load the MIDI file updates via ZIP 100 disk in the 840's ZIP drive. They have to be loaded by SEQUENCER.

The 'compelling' version up procedure requires the system ZIP disk - which presumably has the $SYSPRO.VS1 (or whatever) file on it.

#765575 - 09/28/08 09:32 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
bert Offline
Planeteer

Never thought to open your midi files Jack. So used to the syspro zip upgrade. My bad.

Not familiar with how midi does it's thing. But can I assume it will know which file to open first and and what order. Or are there midi codes or something that lets the sequencer automatically load the files in the correct order.

The reason I ask is the order in which I unzip the files using WINZIP is 5,2,3,4,1,6,7,8. I can click on the name header in WINZIP and correct the order but, someone could copy and paste one file at a time to the zip disk and be out of order on the zip, without extracting to a folder 1st(which puts the file in order automatically)

Just fishing for reasons. Been awhile since I got into this stuff. I think I used to/like trying to solve problems more than using the machine. \:D
guitar - Dave and Bert
Bass - Bert

Page 1 of 4 1234>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159767 Topics
1849763 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.037 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.