Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#765596 - 09/28/08 10:31 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: bert]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Loc: CornvILLe
It's been 3-4 years since I did an upgrade via MIDI - as I recall, you have to queue up the MIDI file order in the SMFPlayer from Roland. The files are numbered correctly - they just have to be ordered in the player. As I recall, I MIDI'd up from 1.01 to 1.05 - then used a ZIP disk to go to 2.05.

The PC was an old P2-333 with a SB Live! Card - the MIDI cable was one of those things that connected to the game port. Worked fine, but took 20-30 minutes - and had me praying there'd be no power outage.

Hey Bert - an old friend dropped in on VJam.

#765761 - 09/29/08 06:29 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: bert]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Australia
Another blow: the tech guys at Sydney Roland haven't such a disc (RECOVERY DISK) and say the unit may need a new motherboard or drive replaced.
I have emailed the UK tech guy that Graham said had a recovery disk and have yet to hear back. I'm starting to look at brochures for a BR!

#765953 - 09/29/08 06:43 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Well, I spoke with Roland VS recorder support today - briefly describing the trouble 840 users have with the "Can't Version Up" and "Bad Flash" error. The tech assured me that Roland would support the product, but that the error is NOT a user recoverable error and requires a trip to a service center where "they charge what they charge".

He could not answer my questions about the 'system update zip disk, p/n: 17048942' as mentioned in the procedure above. So he transferred me to parts support.

The parts rep. said the 17048942 is still available, but takes 2-3 weeks to fill the order. It is FREE and I ordered a copy. It'll be here when it gets here, I guess. The only thing the parts rep. could tell me from the summary on her computer screen, is that it's a version 2.05 update disk. It may well be the same damn disk we have been creating with a VS-840 formatted ZIP disk with the $SYSPRO2.VS1 file on it. I'll post the p/n 17048942 disk contents when I get it.

Regarding other items:

The VS-840 Video Owners Manual is no longer available.

The VS4S-1 SCSI kit is no longer available.

Roland did however provide the name and phone number of 3 Roland service centers near me - 2 in Chicago and one in Davenport, Iowa (which is closer). I will contact them and ask about recovering a blown VS-840 - and report my findings.

That you might know what I'm thinking - if after talking to the Roland Service Center reps I determine there's no user recovery for a 'Can't Version Up' or 'Bad Flash' error, forcing users to use a factory service center at $150 bench fee to recover from what amounts to a power failure induced error, I'm strongly considering filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB.org) against Roland US.

By making the user manual freely downloadable in PDF form, by discontinuing the VS line, the 840 VOM and VS4S-1, Roland has sent all the signals of abandoning the 840 owners - WITH a major design flaw unresolved - that being a power failure rendering a VS-840 unusable. Perhaps the BBB might help force the issue of customer support for this specific failure and prevail upon Roland to fix it for FREE or a much lower cost when it happens.

Per my friend Graham, in the UK, who spent about $150 (US equiv.) to fix his 840, the fix took all of 5-10 minutes and all the Tech did was run a service-level ZIP disk through the drive to re-burn the OS/flash rom.

If the fix is no more than a flash bios update disk, that FORCES a flash, such should be available to users, for a nominal cost from Roland.

It depends on that disk Roland is sending and what I learn from the 3 tech supt centers they referred me to.

#766098 - 09/29/08 11:00 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

Phil Delahaye [phil@delatronics.co.uk] is the techy that fixed Graham's 840. He wrote back saying I needed a recovery disc and that Roland Australia should be able to supply it. At this stage Roland Australia said they didn't know about a recovery disk (!?) I've written back to them with a copy of Phil's email. Good luck with your enquiries; I'll keep posted.

#766283 - 09/30/08 06:12 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

My Sydney Roland bloke is contacting Roland Japan re the Recovery disk.

#767681 - 10/02/08 03:18 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
Bassball Offline
Space Cadet

Originally Posted By: Cornjerker
The only thing the parts rep. could tell me from the summary on her computer screen, is that it's a version 2.05 update disk. It may well be the same damn disk we have been creating with a VS-840 formatted ZIP disk with the $SYSPRO2.VS1 file on it. I'll post the p/n 17048942 disk contents when I get it.
(...)

If the fix is no more than a flash bios update disk, that FORCES a flash, such should be available to users, for a nominal cost from Roland.

You'r quite right... I've contacted a RSS here in the Netherlands and hope to hear from them. Spending $150 on a machine I paid a lot less for would be even more stupid then thinking ABCD-right is an easy reset...

@Bert, loading midi files by zip is not really an option. And as I found out on my other VS840, upgrading is 'medium sensitive'. One needs a zip drive, the other only worked by midi...

#768013 - 10/03/08 01:17 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Bassball]
bert Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Parsippany, NJ
[quote=Bassball
@Bert, loading midi files by zip is not really an option. And as I found out on my other VS840, upgrading is 'medium sensitive'. One needs a zip drive, the other only worked by midi...

[/quote]

Actually what I meant waz to load those files in the correct order in the roland supplied SMF sequencer using pc to 840 with midi cables. But I believe Jack said you aren't able to get your unit to recognize a midi setup. Not sure if that's what he meant for sure. But I would give it a go just in case. Personally I haven't had to do a midi upgrade. So I'm not real sure how it works. I believe you just hook up the cables correctly to both pc and 840 open the SMF player and load files by selecting path button and pointing to your midi 840 update files and hitting send.

Has anyone tried this yet? Just currious, as sometimes I don't read these post correctly.
guitar - Dave and Bert
Bass - Bert
Produced and Recorded - Bert
Drums - Programmed so far

#768025 - 10/03/08 01:47 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: bert]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Hey Bert - I've had a "BAD FLASH" once, when I tried to update from 1.01 or 1.02 to 2.05 via ZIP disk ... so I wound up loading 1.05 via MIDI and then upped to 2.05 with a ZIP disk. I was lucky my machine would still receive MIDI and get me to the MIDI RECEIVE Y/N page - what I've read here over the years suggest most users aren't so fortunate ...
#768813 - 10/04/08 11:01 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: bert]
Bassball Offline
Space Cadet

Originally Posted By: bert
Actually what I meant waz to load those files in the correct order in the roland supplied SMF sequencer using pc to 840 with midi cables.
(...)

Has anyone tried this yet? Just currious, as sometimes I don't read these post correctly.

It's just that English is not everybodies native language - it sure isn't mine... But with my other 840 I upgraded by midi, had to, because upgrading to 1.05 was possible by zipdrive but updating to 204 that way crashed the machine. Fortunately that machine still could be set to 'midi receiving'. This one doesn't.

Anyway, has anybody ever opened the machine and found out if the flash rom can be easily replaced? So it would be possible to replace it with one from another machine? Or is it possible to somehow 'blanc' the existing one another way tgan ABCD-right?

Grtz,
Bassball

#768849 - 10/04/08 01:22 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Bassball]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Several of us have been inside the machine to do the IDE / CF drive update - all components are surface mount / soldered - nothing socketed that can be replaced as far as I've seen.
#769054 - 10/04/08 09:31 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

The parts rep. said the 17048942 is still available, but takes 2-3 weeks to fill the order. It is FREE and I ordered a copy. It'll be here when it gets here, I guess. The only thing the parts rep. could tell me from the summary on her computer screen, is that it's a version 2.05 update disk. It may well be the same damn disk we have been creating with a VS-840 formatted ZIP disk with the $SYSPRO2.VS1 file on it. I'll post the p/n 17048942 disk contents when I get it.

BIG LETDOWN.

The disk Roland sent me is a FLOPPY DISK. According to the packing sheet, it contains the Standard Midi Files for update 2.0. The disk itself is marked "Update Disk v.2.05" and "10933"

BUT WAIT! IT GETS BETTER!

I tried the floppy disk in all 3 of my PCs and, IT IS NOT FORMATTED! WinXP prompts to format the disk in each of my 3 computers.

You realize of course, THIS MEANS WAR!

#769673 - 10/06/08 02:19 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

Go Cornjerker, I'm still not having much luck down under! I'm waiting to see what Sydney Roland can come up with before I hassle Phil Delahaye (UK) any further . He has the only known Roland Recovery Disk for VS840 on the planet!..though he says he doesn't have the means to copy it.

#769859 - 10/06/08 02:55 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

FYI - this morning I created an account at Roland US (the backstage pass area) and filed a trouble ticket with Roland support. The email is limited to 500 characters through their site, so I filed the following request with Roland this morning:

Quote:
I own a VS-840 and actively support VS-840 users at VSPlanet.com. Regularly, VS-840 owners request support for units that have failed with a BAD FLASH or DON'T MATCH CPU error, caused by 1) improper shutdown, 2) failed flash update, or 3) power failure. A few users have reported that the recovery is as simple as re-setting / re-flashing the failed 840 with a service level ZIP 100 disk. Can this disk be made available to the user community for a nominal fee? Thanks, Jack Helser

If Roland does not respond favorably to my request, I will write the corporate office next, request their assistance for the community, and advise them of my intent to file a complaint with the BBB.

My thinking is that it's ridiculous to have no recovery option for what amounts to an error induced by power failure or untimely disk ejection. Also, Roland should be reminded that THEY are the cause of some of these failures, since they did not warn VS-840EX users of the incompatibility between a VS-840EX formatted ZIP 250 disk and the Windows OS. Users who made their own ZIP 250 flash disk, with the EX 2.0x update file formerly provided through the Roland web site, were rewarded with a BAD FLASH. Roland is culpable in these failures. $150 to reset a bad flash is nothing short of price-gouging.

Edited by Cornjerker (10/06/08 03:02 PM)

#769871 - 10/06/08 03:32 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Roland answered and closed the support request with:

Quote:
"At this point a 'Can't Version Up' or 'Don't Match CPU' is still a service call."

I opened a new support request to ask:

Quote:
VS-840 users with the bad flash failure, have watched authorized Roland service technicians fix their failed 840's with a ZIP 100 disk and nothing more, then charge them $150 for 5 minutes work. Whom should the community ask within Roland to make the disk available for us? Thanks, Jack Helser

#769877 - 10/06/08 03:51 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

BTW, for the curious, here is the BBB (Better Business Bureau) report on Roland US.

http://www.la.bbb.org/BusinessReport.aspx?CompanyID=55956

Here's the printable version.

http://www.la.bbb.org/PrintReport.aspx?CompanyID=55956

#770176 - 10/07/08 01:07 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
dhart Offline
Planeteer

Loc: albany, ny
From the BBB: "Our complaint history for this company shows the company gave proper consideration to some complaints presented by the Bureau. Although in some cases the company failed to respond to complaints."

Gives me a nice warm feeling to know they love us. At least we gots each other...

#770203 - 10/07/08 01:51 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: dhart]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

No response to the 2nd help request yet. Maybe they are asking up their management chain - at least I hope so. In the mean time, I've already penned a letter to the president/CEO of Roland US to ask for a change in policy to release that disk to us, just in case. Hopefully that won't be necessary - however I'm prepared to take the next couple of steps.

1) Initiate help ticket - if no response, then
2) Write the Roland US president/ceo to ask the disk be made available - if denied, then
3) File a complaint with the BBB - AND ...
4) Encourage every other user who experiences the Flash ROM errors to do the same.

#770235 - 10/07/08 03:04 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
bert Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Parsippany, NJ
So Jack, you think these guys check this site out for comments? I think the planet has some influence with Roland. I sure would like to think so. They have made some mistakes with our unit in the past. Since it's discontinued it would only make sense for them to make a good effort to keep 840 users think of Roland as a company who would want us to come back to them for future investments. Especially in these times. It's only common sense and good business on thier/any bodies part. I personally I would not want to get a Roland or any other product from someone after they neglected a very viable request. I mean with a company like behringer and some others who sell thier products for much less, I would hope companys like Roland would appreciate the fact that though thier products are excellent, our choices for buying from them are based on the fact that they will last us a long time. Otherwise we may as well just buy the cheaper product. In this day and age with electronics, most gadgets can be duplicated. But service and dependency is an individual situation which for many of us determine spending more.

I hope you get through to them and they understand what we need for future sake. Without a fix for our 840's some of us will have lost our creations due to the lack of engineering or propriotary software language Roland uses. It is only because of people like you and some others like the Reaper inventer/s that we have the option to keep our recording for future use.

ROLAND IF YOU ARE WATCHING, YOU HOPEFULLY WILL REALIZE THAT KEEPING THIS UNIT WORKING FOR THE MANY WHO HAVE BOUGHT THIS REGARDLESS IF THROUGH EBAY OR YOUR OWN COMPANY NEED YOU TO KEEP THESE UNITS WORKING FOR A MUCH LONGER TIME THAN ENGINEERED. WE HAVE FEW OPTIONS WHEN DESIGN PROBLEMS OCCUR. SO PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US IN THE DUST. WE OBVIOUSLY LOVE YOUR PRODUCTS. BUT THE CUSTOMER SERVICE HAD BEEN QUESTIONABLE AT BEST. MANY OF US HAVE EXPERIENCED/READ MANY EXPAMPLES OF THIS. HOPEFULLY YOU WILL MAKE US ROLAND FREINDLY.
guitar - Dave and Bert
Bass - Bert
Produced and Recorded - Bert
Drums - Programmed so far

#770585 - 10/07/08 09:12 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: bert]
dhart Offline
Planeteer

Exactly, Bert. If the 840 won't work, we have to replace it. How Roland treats us has a big impact on whether we buy Roland again or not.
#770816 - 10/08/08 04:45 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: dhart]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

Just how many VS840's are out there with the 'don't match cpu' mark of death? Has Bassball recovered? Mine's still sitting limp on my desk waiting for delivery of the Holy Grail. I'm hanging on with baited breath.

#770951 - 10/08/08 04:14 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

We see 1-2 per month, Doc. Just use the SEARCH function and enter "Don't Match CPU" or "Can't Version Up" or "Bad Flash" - be sure to limit your search to the VS-840 forum - and you'll see countless reports of it over the years.

Still no answer from Roland Service concerning my 2nd help request. Simple question - 'who do we need to ask' about a change in policy to release that disk to us?

Bert - I don't think any one from Roland reads this forum. They've built their service / support around the typical model - whereby users register their purchase with them and come to them for questions / support - and in this case, referral to a service center for a $150 lube job.

Personally, I find something inherently dishonest about all of this. The "mystery" that has shrouded the repair of a VS-840 with a flash-ROM based failure. I think all of us have had visions of them opening the units, doing a hardware replacement or some reset with bench-test equipment - at least that would seemingly warrant the typical $150 repair job. But to be as simple as cycle a ZIP disk through the drive and fix it in under 5 minutes? That's a total hose job on their part.

And where they are directly responsible for some of the failtures - by design - a machine that is NOT robust enough to survive a power failure - or - by failure to WARN the user community that their VS-840EX and GX formatted ZIP 250 disks are NOT COMPATIBLE with Windows - when their instructions with the ZIP flash upgrade file (previously on the Roland Web Site), could NOT be properly written to a ZIP 250 disk by Windows, and would therefore TRASH every machine someone tried to update with a self-made disk ... again by design - that the load the OS by MIDI isn't protected from a flash-ROM based error ...

If the design of a PC or Mac were as flakey / finnicky as the VS-840 flash-ROM problem, we'd have seen some class action against IBM/Apple to eliminate the design flaws and make them more robust / reliable.

Also, these errors appear to be UNIQUE to the VS-840 line. I searched ALL the other VS forums and BR forums here for the terms "bad flash", "can't version up" and "don't match cpu" and there is not a single occurrence in any of the other forums of those failures, going back 3 years. So, perhaps Roland learned something about designing a more robust flash ROM code / OS for the other machines, while we VS-840 users continue to get fucked over by Roland Support for what amounts to be a piss poor OS design?

These are the types of facts I want to bring to the BBB on behalf of the VS-840 user community IF Roland does NOT make a repair disk available to us for a reasonable cost. Or, IMO, Roland ought to initiate policy with their repair centers that flash-ROM based failures should cost no more than $20 to fix.

#771203 - 10/09/08 12:47 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
dhart Offline
Planeteer

You said it.

Now where do I get my "Cornjerker for President" sign for my lawn? \:\)

dave

#771215 - 10/09/08 01:31 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: dhart]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Wouldn't want the job, but, you are welcome to vote Libertarian/Bob Barr on my behalf. ;\)
#773098 - 10/13/08 05:32 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
Bassball Offline
Space Cadet

Originally Posted By: DrJugband
Has Bassball recovered? Mine's still sitting limp on my desk waiting for delivery of the Holy Grail. I'm hanging on with baited breath.

The answer to that is 'no'. No answer form the Roland center I e-mailed too. So... I'm still waiting, as Diana Ross sung. Out of options. Will have to contact another service center... And somehow my desire to buy 'Roland' is dropping as fast as stocks these days.

#773100 - 10/13/08 05:36 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
Bassball Offline
Space Cadet

Or, IMO, Roland ought to initiate policy with their repair centers that flash-ROM based failures should cost no more than $20 to fix.

Right! BTW you´re a tough sob :-)

#774549 - 10/16/08 04:30 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Bassball]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Update: Nearly 1 WEEK later, still no response from Roland Support.

Quote:
Email Support
Support Request #35524

10-10-2008 12:14:47 PM

Current Status:Pending
Product: VS-840, VS-840EX
Subject: Bad Flash Recovery
Question: This is my reply to the previous request for support. "At this point a 'Can't Version Up' or 'Don't Match CPU' is still a service call." VS-840 users with the bad flash failure, have watched authorized Roland service technicians fix their failed 840's with a ZIP 100 disk and nothing more, then charge them $150 for 5 minutes work. Whom should the community ask within Roland to make the disk available for us? Thanks, Jack Helser
Response: Pending

#775402 - 10/17/08 05:57 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Roland answered my Support request Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:14 PM. Their reply follows:

Quote:
Jack,

Unfortunately, it is a protected disk that is no longer available even for local service centers that do not already have a copy of it. At this point, most VS-840s that "Cannot Version UP" would have to be sent to our main service center in Los Angeles.

It appears that the only option left, would be for the President of Roland to initiate a policy change to make the disk available to the user community, or, put an end to the price gouging and fix the VS-840s for a nominal fee.

Otherwise, the 840 has reached the point where the cost to repair them exceeds the marketplace value of a used 840.

#775592 - 10/18/08 12:26 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
dhart Offline
Planeteer

Since most service centers see so few 840's for repair, maybe one of us can buy one from a service center. The things are probably just taking up space, and if you can get $25 for it, that would seem a reasonable thing. Is there anything that would prevent a service center from being allowed to sell it to one of us? Maybe we should each contact a couple of service centers off Roland's list and see if anyone would be willing, then perhaps the community could all send a few bucks or a 6 pack of beer to the hero who comes up with it to defray costs.
#775634 - 10/18/08 01:56 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: dhart]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Hey Dave,

One of the guys who paid for the fix found a service guy willing to copy the disk but he didn't have the means to copy ... assuming it's standard VS-840 format, someone would need an 840 with zip and an external SCSI ... I've got one - would be keen if we could get that service guy together with a user who has the equipment to copy ...

Even so, I'd rather go about it through channels - I'm hopeful the Pres. of Roland will be sympathetic to our cause. I'd like to give him a chance.

#776590 - 10/20/08 03:00 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

I'd be happy to chip in.

#779912 - 10/26/08 06:41 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
Bassball Offline
Space Cadet

Dear Mr. President,
Come take a walk with me.
Let's pretend we're just two people and
You're not better than me.
I'd like to ask you some questions if we can speak honestly

#780478 - 10/28/08 12:40 AM Re: am I a goner? [Re: Cornjerker]
dhart Offline
Planeteer

Even so, I'd rather go about it through channels

Yeah, I agree with you. And I think you have done a very admirable job of laying out the user community's position. But if they continue to stonewall us, then it's worth thinking about options other than shopping for a Tascam.

Dave

#782162 - 10/30/08 10:26 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: dhart]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

Is there any further moves towards a solution here?
Incidentally, I've decided to purchase a BR 1200CD as I've gone into serious withdrawal; but would still like to resurrect my grey door stop. It breaks my heart to see it lying there lifeless. I'll be keeping my eye on the thread and look forward to a day where we can share that elusive recovery disc. I'm sure I'll be able to look back on all this and have a good laugh. (sob,sob).

#782163 - 10/30/08 10:27 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
DrJugband Offline
Planeteer

PS see you on the BR 1200CD forum.

#782170 - 10/30/08 10:55 PM Re: am I a goner? [Re: DrJugband]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Dr. J ... I don't know if you saw the other thread, but I have written the president of Roland US to ask for his help and a change to company policy concerning this error, which is unique to the VS-840 in the whole VS lineup ... they have a ZIP disk used by service that will restore the unit (IF it's just a blown flash) - there is NO reason it should cost $150 to re-flash a ROM and require shipment to/from Roland US in Los Angeles - just post the ZIP disk file(s) or ZIP disk image and let us make our own disk - or hell - sell it to us for a nominal fee ...

Note that I've called Roland a few times and have gotten a rather nervous sounding service guy on the phone who ASSURES me that Roland is still supporting the VS-840 - yet - accessories are no longer available - new service centers are NOT supplied with the recovery disks to fix the 840 - they have to be sent to L.A., they don't provide the VS4S-1 SCSI card anymore, they don't provide the VS-840 Video Owners Manual (VHS tape / 90 minutes) ... so, their WORDS do not line up with their ACTIONS ...

I will press the issue with the Prez for awhile, but IF he doesn't reply (it's been 2 weeks), if the disk is not made available to us (free or cheap), then I will file a complaint with the US Better Business Bureau (BBB) on behalf of the community to force an arbitrated reply from them - elsewise, risk their business rating with the BBB. They currently have a "C" grade for a few complaints that they did not respond to.

Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159758 Topics
1849690 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.021 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.