Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Topic Options
#842056 - 03/22/09 10:16 AM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: espen]
espen Offline
Space Cadet

So far I've gotten these results:

CF: 1GB Sandisk Ultra II - Not working
CF: 4GB Kingston Elite Pro - Not working
CF: 256MB DaneElec - Working (No initialize required)
CF: 256MB Crucial - Working (No initialize required)
SD(SD2CF Adapter): 2GB Kingston - Not working
SD(SD2CF Adapter): 4GB Kingston - Not working
mSD(mSD2SD2CF Adapter): 2GB Crucial - Working with 500MB partitions

Espen

#842763 - 03/24/09 04:04 AM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: David Kilpatrick]
njblaine Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: nj, usa
I have a question for those of you who have done this mod. i got what i think is the right adaptor but it doesn't fit into the roland interface thing.specifically it looks like one of the connectors is plugged up. at first i thought i had broken off one of the pins but when i look at the original HD there is no pin there. i'll try to attach this picture. if you look very closely the 10th hole from the left on the bottom is closed off. how did you deal with that? please excuse my total lack of correct terminology. thanks.
ok, can't figure out how to post a pic but if you look at frotje's picture, the first one , you can see the 10th hole is plugged up. help.

#843272 - 03/25/09 10:53 AM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: njblaine]
graybags Offline
Space Cadet

I have done this mod and I think I had the same problem. If I remember correctly I made a small hole in the plug for the pin to fit into. It obviously does not do anything and everything works fine.Get another opinion just the same
#843426 - 03/25/09 06:07 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: David Kilpatrick]
njblaine Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks, i actually ended up breaking off the pin. in reading people's feedback on the item it seems it's common to do that. do you have any insight on 4gb cards that work? the kingston card doesn't seem to work on mine.
#846325 - 04/02/09 03:15 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: njblaine]
graybags Offline
Space Cadet

I am using a 4gig "Omni" brand type 1/2card. I do not know if this is a proper brand. It works fine though. Have a look back through this thread as there are a couple of lists of suitable cards. It may depend on your adapter as to what cards will work with it.
#848388 - 04/08/09 04:53 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: graybags]
njblaine Offline
Space Cadet

success! i have 4 gig of silent recording. thought i would throw out for others.the kingston card didn't work for me but lexar platinum II 60X 4 gig card did.
thought i could post a pic but it didn't work. anyway,hope this helps someone.and thanks to everyone who helped me.

#866023 - 06/01/09 07:27 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: njblaine]
B. V. Owens Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Northern Ireland
Hi njblaine,

Glad to hear you had final success on silent recording - and with 4GB - wow! - That's what I want. My external 1GB Jaz is noisy and annoying.
I had a go at this about 2 years ago with no success. The original pictures (probably obsolete now anyway) at the earlier posts are no longer there.) Could you do me (and all following) a favour and specify EXACTLY all the steps you took (and products you used) to create your success story. I realise it may take you some time but you would be doing many a great service.
Looking over these posts there seems to be a lot of chat building on previous steps. It would be helpful to have a definitive one entry blog - or link to a page/doc with the same.

Thank you for your time.

#866297 - 06/02/09 05:13 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: B. V. Owens]
njblaine Offline
Space Cadet

well, i'll try. i don't have any records written down. on the first page of this thread there are a couple posts with links to an adaptor. i got mine on ebay and i think it was like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/CF-to-IDE-44-Pin-Har...1QQcmdZViewItem

or
http://cgi.ebay.com/Compact-Flash-CF-to-...1QQcmdZViewItem
i hope that works as a link for you. if not, search ebay for cf adaptor cf to ide 44 pin adaptor.
the hard part i think is finding a card to work. i tried one that didn't work then tried a Lexar 4gb platinum II 60x card and that worked. i have since bought 2 more to be safe but i haven't tried them yet. on ebay now there is this
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Lexar-Platinum-I...1QQcmdZViewItem
which is close but says its 80x so i don't know if it will work.

i opened up the 880 and took out the hard drive. i then removed the drive from the plastic caddy thing which has a small adaptor thing. the new cf adaptor plugs right into that. one thing i had to do was to break off one of the pins in the ebay cf adaptor. if you look carefully you can see which one. when plugged in i think it set up the new drive automatically.
ok, not the greatest step by step but i hope it gets you on the right track. it's really not hard, the only tricky part seems to be finding the right card to work. good luck.

#866407 - 06/02/09 11:53 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: njblaine]
B. V. Owens Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks for that - and prompt too.

Aha! I can see the problem now.

I think when I started to have a go at this a few years ago I fell at the first hurdle, because all of the posts mentioned this 'caddy' thingy between the 50pin cable and the internal had drive. BUUUUT, my VS880 came without an internal drive - AND without that interface. It only had a 50pin ribbon going to an adapter card with another miniture 50pin (although only 25 pins appeared to be connecting on the circuit board.

So each of the posts that mention buying the CD to IDE and 'simply plug it in' - left me bewildered because all of these had a 40pin or 44pin which in no way could connect to what I was looking at inside my VS880. I talied to ROLAND parts about this and they said that part of the adapter was in the 840s and then some early 880s but they no longer had any stock.

I had bought the CF to IDE adapter some years back in an effort to follow through on the instructions posted but couldn't figure how to attache the 40pins of it (mine was 40pins with a gap then 2pins with fly leads for power) to the 50pin of the IDE on the motherboard.

Today I bit the bullet. I mounted the adapter and made a slot in the front plate that comes with the unit to allow the card to be sloted in and out. I used the 50pin ribbon and connected it to the 40pin (the pinout details are the same on the 50pin up to pin 40) I then cut into the 50pin cable on the lines that lead to pins 47 (+5v) and 48 (GND) and connected them to the power on the adapter card.
I wont win any awards for style I'm sure as it was all very rough and ready. I just wanted to get the internal hardware sorted and out of the way, so I could close the unit up again and concentrate on getting a good working CF card.

I now have a nifty removable CF flash slot. However, I've yet to test that it actually works because I only have a 4GB sandisk which (you guessed it) not only wouldn't work when I tested it before (had a go few years back) but wouldn't even work in my PC (stragely when you put it in ALL the removeable drives dissapear from expolorer! - reappear when you take it out!) Bought it on Ebay and perhaps I was the victim of one of those counterfit Sandisk card frauds.

Anyway. I'll take on board what was said about WORKING CF types cards and do a proper test when i get one - leave word here when I do.

Thanks again for your help I know time is important and I appreciate you taking time out to reply. What you DID say made me realise the missing 'link' and I realised no one could help really as I needed some way of making the 50pin fit the 40pin IDE.

#866408 - 06/03/09 12:03 AM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: B. V. Owens]
B. V. Owens Offline
Space Cadet

Just noticed; MRDJ115 has posted an image of the 50pin to miniture 50pin card that I have inside my VS880 - his is a VS890. You can see there is no way to attach a 40pin IDE here.

If I get mine working I'll post better info here or a link to an external PDF of how to do it so that MRDJ115 and others with my style VS can put a CF card in too.

#876590 - 07/07/09 07:21 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) VSR-880 Specifically [Re: B. V. Owens]
DrRock Offline
Space Cadet

Hi,
Just returning to this thread after a long layoff. I have recently come back to the idea of using the VSR live, but as you tend to remember only the good things in life, i had forgotten the IDE vibration issue....
Unfortunately it really doesnt take much more than a drum and bass surge to stop the recording, and i dont really have the option to move my rack box anywhere else
Aside from using rubber rack screw washers to isolate the unit, which i will be trying out this weekend im looking for an ide cf adaptor that might work
I saw this on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CF-to-IDE-44-Pin-H...%3A1%7C294%3A50
Anyone ever taken a VSR apart to try it?
Thanks.

Edited by DrRock (07/07/09 07:22 PM)

#903640 - 09/26/09 12:08 AM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) VSR-880 Specifically [Re: DrRock]
johnlobello Offline
Space Cadet

Edited by johnlobello (10/13/09 11:26 PM)

#938680 - 01/09/10 06:50 AM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: David Kilpatrick]
ArthurMGD Offline
Space Cadet

I read the ide conversion to cf with much interest in that my hd on my vs880 failed some time ago. I didnt want to put money into another noisy hd so i thought i would try this. Dec 3 2009 I purchased the ide to cf adapter from ebay "PC CF Compact Flash Card to 2.5 IDE HD Adapter NT4" identity no 250536021285 for $8.00 It took over a month to arrive. By removing the vs880 hd from its carridge and the "step" adapter from the ide, I was able simply put a CF card "Lexar 512mB 4x" in the adapter and slide it back into the vs 880 unit. Turned it on and it recognized the chip immediately. I ran a quick test on the vs880 functions and everything seems to work ok. Havent had a chance to record seriously yet, but it works! Thanks to all you forum members who shared their experiences. The vs880 is way faster and dead quiet
Art

#944648 - 01/26/10 04:26 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: ArthurMGD]
NV_Misfit Offline
Space Cadet

I recently tried an SD to IDE adapter on my VS-880 V-Expanded and it seems to work.I haven't actually recorded anything but I let the machine do a drive check on the SD card and it went through the whole process without any errors.Then I recently started reading about how compact flash cards have a higher read and write rate than SD cards generally.Also,I'm concerned about the fact that flash memory can be written to only so many times before the blocks of memory get "worn out" and cannot be written to anymore.There are various technical tricks that are built into flash memory to increase the longevity of the cards but they will fail.Microdrives however,are not subject to this phenomenon so I've decided to use them instead.I've recently purchased a used VS-1880 and I plan to try the CF to IDE adapter mod for it using microdrives of the highest speed I can find.I'm going to have to compromise on the amount of GB's since the higher capacity drives tend to be slower not to mention more expensive.If anyone has any further insight into what microdrives would be best for this purpose I would greatly appreciate it.If anyone has any questions about my SD adapter for my VS-880 feel free to message me.I will post an update about my experiences in this matter either on this post or as a new topic post in the VS-1880 section of these forums.
#947031 - 02/01/10 08:42 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: ArthurMGD]
ArthurMGD Offline
Space Cadet

Further to my earlier post where I recently converted my vs880ex ide to a CF. All works fine. Problem is I tried downloading songfile to computer with no success. I loaded in REAPER and the plug in reaper_vs.dll. My CF has recorded information because I can remove and return it and still play recorded information. My problem is that the files I have on my CF can't be read or opened by REAPER. The Roland song files Start off as follows:
SONG0001.VR8\..+ consequently I can't open it in REAPER. Anyone got any suggestions. Thanks Art

#947086 - 02/01/10 10:23 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: ArthurMGD]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
I don't think things written by the IDE can be accessed using the reaper .dll... The file structure is not understood by windows.

I do think they can be accessed using the VSWE though. Download it and try it.

http://www.ps139.com/vs880ex/util/

After conversion to .wav you can easily load into reaper (or any other DAW)

If you adapt a CF to SCSI then it can directly accessed by reaper through the .dll.

#947626 - 02/03/10 10:47 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: bear]
ArthurMGD Offline
Space Cadet

Bear, thanks for taking the time to review my post. I took your suggestion and downloadede the file. I must be doing something wrong. But when I try to access the Roland file "SONG0002.VR8" I get the message that software supports MT1//MT2/MTP/etc. and I can get not further. Maybe I am not doing something right.
It makes no mention of supporting 2480/1680/880EX that is stated in the read me file. Sorry for being ignorant but any further operating suggestions would be appreciated. I would really like to get my VS880 back up and running such that I can load their files into my pc for futher editing and burning. This unit covers my needs very well. Thanks Dennis

#947642 - 02/03/10 11:27 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: ArthurMGD]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
SONG0002.VR8 does not make sense to me - a SONG file should just be SONG.VR8...

Can you post a screen shot of the folder where your files live?

BTW I believe the .VR8 means a 880vx machine, I THINK this is supported in VSWE... hmmm but it may not be, the web page only lists 880ex. I am pretty sure this is supported in reaper .dll, but I think you need CD backup or a scsi storage device to get it into reaper.

Do you have a SCSI device? A ZIP drive? I picked up one of these for $15 from a local used computer store.

EDIT -

I have a couple of sample projects for the 880vx that were sent to me when I was developing the ripper..

I just tried them in reaper and in the VSWE program and they worked fine in both.

I think you are trying to drag the wrong file into the VSWE program.

Edited by bear (02/04/10 12:08 AM)

#950384 - 02/12/10 04:52 AM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: bear]
ArthurMGD Offline
Space Cadet

Bear, thanks for your last post.Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I have been away. You were right, I was dragging the wrong files. I reopened VSWE and experimented and `voila` I got the VS880 files exported as wav files. The multiple tracks come across as single files so I will import them into my sequencer and see what I can do with them. The sound is very thin and trebly but that might just be the sound card in my laptop. I am still a ways from getting my studio set back up due to moving and working way so frequently. It will be interesting to see if a better sound card and a remix will improve the sound.
Once again thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions
Art

#951193 - 02/15/10 12:01 AM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: bear]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Loc: the Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: bear
If you adapt a CF to SCSI then it can directly accessed by reaper through the .dll.

Having two identical machines (VSR880), transporting just the data between them to/from home would be less mechanically taxing in case of the SCSI-connector I think.
The HDD-drive connector doesn't seem to be suited for regular plugging/deplugging.

Note to myself that I should be trying the CF to SCSI route.

Regards

#958605 - 03/08/10 02:23 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: Ptr]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

I'll be going for one of those known-to-work SD-cards, thanks for the info.

But just in case, could the CompactFlash to SD-card adapter be critical ? Or will any adapter do fine ?

Thanks !

#959874 - 03/12/10 07:12 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: Ptr]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Please allow me a bump, did those that got SD-cards working use just any CF-to-SD card adapter or might this require 'certain ones' as well ?

Thanks !

#960937 - 03/15/10 11:03 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: Ptr]
Ptr Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Ptr
Please allow me a bump, did those that got SD-cards working use just any CF-to-SD card adapter or might this require 'certain ones' as well ?

Thanks !

I wanted to give this a bump, but saw I had already done that before...

#1121332 - 05/04/12 12:51 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: ArthurMGD]
B. V. Owens Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks for your update. You say you removed the "step". Is there any chance you could upload/send a photo of how your adapter connected on the inside of the VS? Inside mine there is only a 50PIN (not 44pin) adapter going to what looks like a 52pin scsi socket. (email bvowens@hotmail.com)

#1124196 - 05/18/12 10:55 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: B. V. Owens]
B. V. Owens Offline
Space Cadet

Just as an update; In case anyone has the same problem as I had and there is no IDE interface within their RS. Below is info on the pinout details of the 50 pin and the 44 pin. I'm still having problems with the CF card though - can't seem to initialise it when the RS stats.

I decided to get my VS out of storage and have a look again myself. I definitely want to get this running quietly soon. Anyway, I've checked again the pinout details. The details I have from the printed circuit diagram of the VS880 shows that the 50 pin is exactly the same as the 44pin IDE starting at pin 1. The 50 pin just has extra power pins from 45 to 50. See attached pictures. I've printed a comparison chart. Only ONE pin (39) is labelled differently on the VS but I don't think that is a real difference ( I think DA stands for Diode Active - so it's really doing the same thing).
So I've purchased a different adapter ( Ebay 2.5" Hard Disk Drive HD IDE to CD adapter 2.5" Hard Disk Drive HD IDE to CF Compact Flash Adapter on ebay)and I'm going to buy a Card that some have earlier suggested works and try again.

#1124197 - 05/18/12 10:57 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: njblaine]
B. V. Owens Offline
Space Cadet

Just a quick question. You used a 4GB card. Did the RS ask to 'initialise' the card when you turned it on? i.e. Sys.Init. Drive=IDE:U?

#1125312 - 05/24/12 12:44 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: bear]
B. V. Owens Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks for posting your results. I've got to the point of testing cards now too - but with not much success. can you tell me, when you talk about formatting these are you doing them on your PC or on the VS880 (Mine is a VXpanded) Are you partitioning them first on PC and formating them then putting them into the VS and do they then need 'initialising'? Thanks for your help
#1125313 - 05/24/12 01:05 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: B. V. Owens]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
 Originally Posted By: B. V. Owens
Thanks for posting your results. I've got to the point of testing cards now too - but with not much success. can you tell me, when you talk about formatting these are you doing them on your PC or on the VS880 (Mine is a VXpanded) Are you partitioning them first on PC and formating them then putting them into the VS and do they then need 'initialising'? Thanks for your help

All formatting must be done on the VS.
If the VS doesn't recognize your card, or adapter, or whatever method you're using to create a connection to the machine, it won't give you the oppotunity to initialize/format the card... In other words, the card won't show up in the list when you go through the drive initialize routine.

Formatting of any kind on the PC will not help you at all in this respect.

#1128156 - 06/05/12 04:32 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: uptildawn]
Frans Offline
Planeteer

Loc: netherlands
I've got one card working in a VSR880. I have two 4 GB flashdisks. One works and the other one doesn't. While the second one is a drive wich someone else recommended. I have a feeling there is a formatting sortof needed for the VSR880 to see the drive...

https://www.facebook.com/frans.vandenberge.1

#1128208 - 06/05/12 08:20 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: Frans]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

the formatting can only be done by the VS in order for the VS to use it.. In other words, formatting on a PC (for instance) will not do anything to improve the chances of your using it on the VS.

#1128878 - 06/08/12 12:23 AM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: frotje]
Mauifolks Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Maui Hawaii
Hey all,
The hard drive in 880ex died a while back. I'd love to get it working again. Hard drives for these are very hard to find.
Would this product work as an adapter for CF recording?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...&seq=1&format=2
What else, besides the CF card, do I need to get it recording using CF?

#1128905 - 06/08/12 01:09 AM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: Mauifolks]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Wish I could confirm or deny for you on this, but I haven't used a CF internal swap, only external.... and only SDHC as an internal. I used this card for that (well, at least one very similar to this): http://www.amazon.com/44-Pin-Male-IDE-Card-Adapter/dp/B003MN1H9U

The only other thing I needed for that conversion besides an SDHC card that would work with the VS ( a trial in and of itself), was the original HD caddy. The drive caddy has the pin connector necessary to plug right in to the connector inside the VS. All I had to do was to plug the SDHC adapter into that pin connector and slide the caddy back into the bay.

Not sure if it'll be that simple for your CF card adapter... might need a cable too... somebody will know... There's got to be at least two or three threads here where somebody spells out their own CF conversion.

#1129362 - 06/09/12 03:49 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: uptildawn]
B. V. Owens Offline
Space Cadet

Thanks for that update. I was waiting for delivery of a CF to SD card converter and Sd to Micro SD card to see if using a 2gb micro sd card would work. (Just that these are cheaper to buy for testing). Anyway, I keep getting to the point that the RS sees the IDE and asks to initialize it. If I choose YES it eventually comes back with time out error. If I turn the formatting option on before choosing yes on the initialize it just continues to say SYS Formatting for hours. I then have to turn the machine off to exit and nothing will stop the process. So Far I've tried 5 CF cards, and two micro SD cards. Still can't get past the initialize stage. I did have a look at the micro sd cards in Gparted using Ubuntu and I saw they come prepared with FAT16 so I reformatted to FAT32 and partitioned to 1000 and 500 to see if that would help. Again, RS saw the drive and wanted to initialise but keeps timing out. I had to do some recording last week with my external SCSI Jazz drive (VERY NOISY) I had to build a 'silencer' for it which consisted of a small aluminum case specially made to house the drive while recording. Not ideal to say the least I REALLY REALLY want a silent RS - why is it so difficult!!!!! arrggghhh :--) I wish those external SCSI to CF card readers were still available. Although not as tidy as an internal card reader at least it would be silent.

#1129378 - 06/09/12 05:08 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: B. V. Owens]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Bear had just commented in another thread that the VS formats to a modified fat16 format... If you must reformat on a pc, try formating as fat16 and let it format the entire drive... don't designate a partition size, in other words. The VS will insist on creating its own partitions when formatting/initializing the drive.

Also, when initializing, define the partition size, but don't turn on physical format... That WILL take hours.

Not sure about SCSI to CF adapters... never saw or used one, but I will say that it's easy enough to make one of your own from a SCSI to IDE adapter, a scsi case/power supply and the right bridge card adapter. The problem as of late is finding the bridge adapter at a reasonable price. I've used this one in the past: http://www.amazon.com/ACARD-AEC-7720U-Ultra-SCSI-Bridge/dp/B001E4SFU8 ... although price is a bugger now. The first two I got less than three years ago were both less than $50, used. The last one I got new for over $150. I've kind of given up now. They do pop up on ebay now and again.

#1425289 - 10/19/15 05:33 PM Re: VS-880 CompactFlash adaptation (long) [Re: uptildawn]
mstar Offline
Space Cadet

Hi, I've managed to copy advice and get my vs880 back to life again but with an SD card reader instead of CF. ALL works well, all tracks record and play back fine, my problem is when I save the song, power off, restart again, the machine wants to initialise the card again meaning I will lose all data and can't load the saved song. I've tried 5 or 6 cards, 1 GB, 4GB all format well and work whilst the unit stays on, it is in saving and restarting I must be doing something wrong with SYS.INIT. IDE=U any advice or point in the right direction would be appreciated, Thanks, Martyn
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159834 Topics
1850440 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.