Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#901390 - 09/20/09 01:30 AM Ear problems, constant low rumble
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Loc: CornvILLe
I've had high-pitched tinnitus since I was a teen, but within the last week, there's been a constant low pitched rumble in one ear with a wee feeling of pressure - like I can hear my heart beating in my ear ...

Have tried irrigating my ears and sinuses to no avail, using Afrin to dry the sinuses / relieve pressure along with antihistamines .... still the rumble. Odd thing is, it let up for a day, until I went to a big warehouse type store with roof a/c and the constant low rumble from that triggered it again ... it gets better if I plug the ear. Had terrible ear problems as a kid - fevers and earaches - for which I've flushed them regularly ever since to keep 'em clean.

Anyone experience sudden onset of low rumble? It's about to drive me nuts.

#901410 - 09/20/09 02:25 AM Re: Ear problems, constant low rumble [Re: Cornjerker]
Geo Offline
Planeteer

Loc: within that soul of mine
That was me. I was playing bass tonight. Sorry about that.

The way in is the way out.

#901414 - 09/20/09 02:56 AM Re: Ear problems, constant low rumble [Re: Geo]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Houston, TX
I'll get occasional spasms/twitching close to my ear that sounds like a muffled low-frequency machine gun, but they only last for seconds at a time. Imagine if you could "hear" when your eye twitches - that is what I hear.

I'd see your Ear/Nose/Throat guy unless it really was Geo being inconsiderate of his neighbors ;\) ...

#901421 - 09/20/09 03:12 AM Re: Ear problems, constant low rumble [Re: Randyman...]
String Jammer Offline
Hall Of Fame Fiddler
Planeteer

Loc: Northeastern US
Happens to me about once every couple of years. No idea what causes it but it always passes.

My Sound Cloud Page

#901443 - 09/20/09 04:09 AM Re: Ear problems, constant low rumble [Re: String Jammer]
Liquidirt Offline
Planet Dirtball
Planeteer

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
STOP JERKIN CORN WITH YOUR EAR! DAMMIT!

#901471 - 09/20/09 06:11 AM Re: Ear problems, constant low rumble [Re: Randyman...]
gvlive Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Randyman...
I'll get occasional spasms/twitching close to my ear that sounds like a muffled low-frequency machine gun, but they only last for seconds at a time. Imagine if you could "hear" when your eye twitches - that is what I hear.

I'd see your Ear/Nose/Throat guy unless it really was Geo being inconsiderate of his neighbors ;\) ...

well put, randyman...

how much coffee do you drink? could be a factor.

http://www.youtube.com/gvlive

#901549 - 09/20/09 04:14 PM Re: Ear problems, constant low rumble [Re: gvlive]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

I did some reading this morning, and found there are several spasmodic conditions the ear can experience - with names like: stapedial myoclonus, middle ear myoclonus, tensor tympani syndrome and palatal myoclonus. The 'tensor tympani syndrome' is funny because I nearly wrote in my original post that when this flares up, it sounds like there's a short bastard in my inner ear, beating on my ear drum like a tympani.

It's weird because the flareups both seem to be a kind of 'sympathetic' resonance ... I first noticed it when the subwoofer was constantly rumbling from some reality show my wife was watching. And when it subsided for a day then returned, it was during the low rumble from the roof a/c units at Menards (hardware chain store) it started up again. I remember asking the clerk in the plumbing aisle "Doesn't that constant low rumble drive you crazy?" He didn't hear it.

Even now, I'm keenly aware of the low rumble from the washing machine down in the basement and the window fan that's running. This construction of this house is part of the problem - we have oak hardwood floors over a full and unpartitioned basement - so that washing machine rumble turns the entire floor into a sounding board. If this doesn't clear up, we'll be carpeting the place soon and I'll be walling in / insulating the basement appliances.

Muscle relaxants were recommended to relax the inner ear if it is a spasm - so until I can get into see the ENT doc, I'm using ibuprofen and red wine ...

#901614 - 09/20/09 06:45 PM Re: Ear problems, constant low rumble [Re: Cornjerker]
havlicek Offline
Planeteer

Loc: East Hampton, NY
Hearing your heartbeat in your ear sounds like it MAY (I'm a carpenter not a doctor Jim dammit) be related to blood pressure (or being chased by Michael Myers which might also raise your BP). You might want to ask a doctor rather than asking here, but I'm probably wrong. Still...it sounds vaguely scarey.

-john

-John Havlicek (from "How To Spot An Internet Idiot", © 2012)

#901635 - 09/20/09 08:49 PM Re: Ear problems, constant low rumble [Re: havlicek]
Cornjerker Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: havlicek
Hearing your heartbeat in your ear sounds like it MAY (I'm a carpenter not a doctor Jim dammit) be related to blood pressure (or being chased by Michael Myers which might also raise your BP). You might want to ask a doctor rather than asking here, but I'm probably wrong. Still...it sounds vaguely scarey.

-john

Thanks John - it did spook me that way and I've taken my BP several times but the highest it has been is 130/78. I have low cholesterol (sub-200) and low BP thanks to thyroid issues.

Wife and I just figured out that we've been yelling 'huh, what did you say' at each other quite a bit the last week or 2, so maybe we both have a bug or something - anyway - we're both making appts with the ENT tomorrow ...

Barometer has been dropping last day or 2 until we have mild thunderstorms today - oddly that's given me a little relief.

#901741 - 09/21/09 05:47 AM Re: Ear problems, constant low rumble [Re: gvlive]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Houston, TX
 Originally Posted By: gvlive
 Originally Posted By: Randyman...

well put, randyman...

how much coffee do you drink? could be a factor.

No coffee to speak of, but tons of Iced Tea and some Soda - so I do get a lot of Caffeine in my diet.

Originally Posted By: Cornjerker
I did some reading this morning, and found there are several spasmodic conditions the ear can experience - with names like: stapedial myoclonus, middle ear myoclonus, tensor tympani syndrome and palatal myoclonus. The 'tensor tympani syndrome' is funny because I nearly wrote in my original post that when this flares up, it sounds like there's a short bastard in my inner ear, beating on my ear drum like a tympani.

Sounds similar to my symptoms - not painful but certainly difficult to ignore. Mine generally only last for 10 seconds or so, and stop - they seem to happen out of the blue once a week or less w/o any "trigger" as you describe. Interesting...

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159767 Topics
1849791 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.031 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.