Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#950735 - 02/13/10 08:00 AM What Monitors are you using? Happy with them?
cajun Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Kicking it in Y Town Louisiana
Alesis Monitor Ones. Upgrading soon.

#950794 - 02/13/10 05:03 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: cajun]
KenMeister Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 53
Planeteer

Loc: Carson City, Nevada
Event TR8's. They sound good and I'm happy with them.

#951092 - 02/14/10 06:57 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: KenMeister]
vvmv Offline
Planeteer

Loc: atween
Tannoy PBM2's - 6.5" woofer, for about 15 years now.

Love 'em.

Also, some Dual LU409PW's (4" woofer 2-ways - indoor/outdoor) and Grafyx SP10 2-way loudspeakers, and a Logitech satellite/sub computer system are all hooked up for comparison.

Everything gets checked onna pair of Klipsch Synergy N3 (5" woofer with horn tweeter) with a pair of Yamaha subs, also.

And then there's headphones ...

The Friday Project

Blawg.

The Hungry Drunx

For a limited time: The 24 Hour EP, & The Fecund 24 Hour EP

#951253 - 02/15/10 02:42 AM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: vvmv]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Houston, TX
A little of this and a little of that. I will say that used is good, and can get you into montiors you could never afford if you purchased new.

I snapped up Dot's Dynaudio AIR-15's a while back, and added two Air-Base-2 subs. Very accurate - they don't lie. Shit sounds like shit, and gold sounds like gold. These did take a little while to get used to, but I think I'm over that \:\) I also have a pair of BM6P's - they are like a smaller version of the AIR-15's (mainly used for surround rears, but I can A/B as a stereo pair if needed).

Mackie HR824's as a Monitor B - nice, but a little "pretty sounding" (shit sounds like polished shit - a nagging 2KHz problem won't make your ears bleed like it probably should \:\) ) and tend to mask the vocal region (I used to have to mix the Vox WAY up front on the Mackie's to get the mix to translate). They do have a very "present" bass response (and possibly a bit of a group delay happening there with the passive radiator), but if your room is descent they are not bad at all.

The PA system is great for loud listening (I tend to mix better when it is above 100dB or so ), but I woldn't trust it for relative balances and high frequency content (gets sizzly quick). I also have a crappy pair of Radio Shack Mimus 4" full ranges that I use for limited-bandwidth checking.

I bought the AIR's sight unseen/unheard, but they had a great reputation, and I already knew the BM-6P's charachter (AIR's use similar transducers). I would highly recommend testing out a plethora of speakers, and then try to get the shop to let you take home 2-3 PAIRS so you can A/B them in YOUR room. This can be time-consuming for seller and buyer, but the end-results will likely be worth the effort...

FWIW - The Tannoy Reveal-6 Passives sound great for around $400/pr - and I believe you already have a power amp...

The Monitor One's could be a descent Monitor B IMO...

#951858 - 02/16/10 07:51 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: Randyman...]
Stuart Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Upper Right Hand Coast
Have the Yorkville YSM1P...as well as smaller consumer Cambridge SoundWorks w/ sub, Bose 901's, headphones 7506 & Sennheiser 280Pro...and then the car's ...

I tend to either mix bass heavy or light...w/ the Yorkvilles...probably just my lack of ability...unemployed at present so they will have to suffice....

"Not all who wander are lost"
~J.R.R. Tolkien

PEGSTONE @ IAC
Barnacles & Stone

"Never Ever make meatloaf when you're stoned" ~ Stu & Lisa
"Sticks & Stones may hide my bones as life will soon desert me" - Barnacled Bill
"There's always room for cello!" ~ Barnacled Bill

#953952 - 02/22/10 08:25 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: Stuart]
cajun Offline
Planeteer

I ended up at guitar center and listened to a few pairs in the room. the Adam A7's stood out as did the Genelec 8040's. The Yamaha HS80's caught my attention as well. Didn't like any of the KRK's although it seemed that most of the monitors sounded better than my Monitor ones.

No one in my town has anything decent in monitors so i'm having to drive to either Baton Rouge or New Orleans to check em out otherwise I would have purchased a set to check out next to the Monitor ONes

#953982 - 02/22/10 09:27 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: cajun]
DAGtunes Offline
Planeteer

Loc: San Clemente, CA
I've been using M-Audio BX8's (Gen 1) for several years. The specs on those looked unreal for the money when I bought them, and sadly, I think they were unreal! Nevertheless, I do think they are decent monitors - especially for what I paid for them.

I think there is a lot of snake-oil being sold in the monitor market...some of the claims and certainly the pricing is pretty outrageous.

That said, I just ordered (from Sweetwater) some new monitors and another load of snake-oil! I'm getting the JBL LSR4328P system. This is the monitor system that supposedly tunes itself to your room using an included measurement mic and calibration tones and software built into the speakers. Supposedly, it negates the "room response" part of the equation, which I very well could have problems with.

I've really tried to research these out the best I can, and have gotten quite a bit of assurance that they are the "real deal." I'll report back here, once I get them set up and calibrated...

#955680 - 02/27/10 02:38 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: DAGtunes]
cajun Offline
Planeteer

I looked into the JBL LSR4328P Pak at the suggestion of Brad from Sweetwater. While I probably could benefit from the "tuning" system, I really wanted to go with a pair of speakers that were slightly smaller in physical size. The A7's caught my eyes (and ears) but I'm still on the fence.

In the meantime I've tweaked my Alesis M1's every which way and have gotten a better result from them, but not on every piece of music I run threw them. And as always, they seem to fatigue my ears pretty quickly. Since day one they've done that.

Looking forward to hearing your results with the JBL's.

D

#956012 - 02/28/10 02:35 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: cajun]
Wingnut13 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Massachusetts
Dynaudio BM6A .... love them!
#956159 - 02/28/10 08:36 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: Wingnut13]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Florida - Dunnellon
JBL LSR2328P's and MSC1 Monitor Controller - Not yet set up into system.

Starliner

#956161 - 02/28/10 08:38 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: Wingnut13]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Double-post... Sorry... dumb thumbs...

Starliner

Edited by Starliner (02/28/10 09:52 PM)
Edit Reason: double-post

#956163 - 02/28/10 08:41 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: Starliner]
Randyman... Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Houston, TX
FWIW - There is a pair of Tannoy Reveal 6 Passives (need an amp) on eBay for $195 for the PAIR! They generally sell for $400/pr, and are actually VERY nice for the price IMNSHO. These appear to be a bit scuffed up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380209137672&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I don't know the seller and have no affiliation with this auction, so proceed at your own risk...

#956180 - 02/28/10 09:49 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: Randyman...]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Not bad - Not sure how the seller calls them near mint, but I guess a few chips aren't going to matter to anyone if they work as expected.

Starliner

#957202 - 03/03/10 09:58 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: cajun]
DAGtunes Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: cajunx

Looking forward to hearing your results with the JBL's.

They arrived yesterday!

Haven't had a chance to install them yet, and there will be some set-up/calibration needed, but all in all it seems like a really smart and solid system.

Blows the doors - feature-wise, and technology-wise - off my current M-Audio BX8's.

I read the entire manual last night in one L-O-N-G bathroom sit-down (I know...TMI... ), and the feature set and specs are quite enticing.

Boy, I hope they don't sound like ass...

Then again...it could just be my music/recordings!

#958756 - 03/09/10 01:05 AM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: DAGtunes]
DAGtunes Offline
Planeteer

Well, I finally got these installed and running. (Been salivating all week, but too busy!)

I am experiencing one small problem that is most likely caused by poor quality S/PDIF cables. (First time I've ever used S/PDIF, and I went with cheap Chinese cables from "Best Buy.")

Beyond that little hiccup, the rest of the experience has been fantastic!

I have to say that these beasties are HUGE...and Heavy! They DWARF my M-Audio BX8's, though those are the same configuration! (Bi-amped, rear port, 8" LF driver, 1" silk-dome HF driver, etc.)

The whole system is very smartly done, and basically removes the guesswork from monitoring. They use a Cat5 "HiQ-net" ethernet connection to communicate between the speakers' on-board computers. You can set up a surround sound configuration, and calibrate the speakers to output the correct volume at each individual speaker through this network connection.

My application is as a stereo pair of studio monitors. The networking of the speakers means that at my mix position, channel left and channel right are calibrated to produce the same volume equally. When I use the included remote control to raise or lower the volume, they both go up/down at equal amounts - brilliant!

This used to be a PITA to do with my M-Audio BX8's. I purchased a "Galaxy Audio" SPL meter, and ran white noise through them to calibrate each speaker separately.

The "RMC" (Room Mode Correction) function is really easy, cool, and effective. It is basically a 72-band parametric EQ with very narrow bands centered around the "bass" spectrum where the room modes are most problematic, with up to 12 Db of cut/boost per band.

It uses a swept sine wave at 90 Db output that the included SDC Omni reference mic picks up and sends to the onboard processor for analysis. The processor then sets the EQ filters to reduce the affect of the room modes in your monitoring space.

Could you do all this yourself with a spectral analyzer, reference mic, and EQ? Well...maybe YOU could. But not I. \:p

There is a bypass switch for the RMC, so you can compare the unprocessed sound with the processed sound. I could hear a distict "cleaning up" of the lows in my reference recordings with the RMC applied. I actually noticed new things (mainly FX) in a mix on a commercial CD that I've heard A BILLION times before - seriously - A BILLION.

For those that wish to, you can also EQ the speakers yourself, and even save 6 different "preset" EQ curves. This is only two-band though. A 3Db gain/reduction in Highs or Lows, only. But that is enough, really.

Beyond all that "geeky" stuff, they just plain sound great. Very clean, and they did not fatigue me at all. (I listed to them for about an hour and a half.

As mentioned, I did have a little "hiccup." I will be replacing my cables with higher quality cabling, and expect that to solve the issue. I'll report back if it doesn't...

So..to the thread title:

I'm using the JBL LSR4328's, and am happy with them - thus far!

#959507 - 03/11/10 04:49 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: DAGtunes]
tg studio Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Nova Scotia (Canada)
A pair of Edirol MA10D's...on top of a set of Technics 12" home speakers...

I know, I know, I need moniters, real ones.

The MA's suck ass and the home speakers are home speakers, but is this so wrong? I mean, I'm used to the sound I get from them, I know what to look for, and my mixes generally sound good.

Ive worked with worse, and I think getting used to what your speakers sound like and what they're supposed to sound like is half the battle.

#959531 - 03/11/10 06:21 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: tg studio]
cajun Offline
Planeteer

glad you're enjoying the JBL's Dag... I have a pair of Focal CMS 50's on order. Can't wait to get them in.

TG, I felt that way about my monitor ones.. I felt if I knew them I could pull off mixes, but I don't think I've ever pulled a mix from them and didn't have to go back and tweak things that they alesis didn't even point out.

#975172 - 04/28/10 10:24 AM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: cajun]
headwerkn2 Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Countryside, Tasmania
Yamaha HS80Ms... awesome, especially for the price.

#1548194 - 10/21/17 07:39 AM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: headwerkn2]
MikeSchmidt Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Minnesota
Event 20/20's for about 15 years now.

Mike

#1548928 - 10/30/17 08:34 AM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: MikeSchmidt]
ricco Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
I got caught-up in lusting for a pair of the Roland DS90a's...

First off, they arrived with a broken left side tweeter. That took all of a 20 min Google search for repair and 10min to fix (broken hair-thin wire to tweeter...apparently common fault).
They are digital, so I was thinking "how cool" and "gee I bet they are super quiet".
I also thought that they might work better with the speaker-modeling patch Roland tailor-made to work with these speakers as well as the DS90a's.

Well, I have a pair of Alesis M Active's, and to my ear's, they seem to do the speaker modeling the same as the Rolands do. The Rolands were a tad quieter...but overall...I find I get a better comparison running the Roland and Alesis side by side and using either one pair or the other to make some comparisons.

I was forewarned: I did do the reading on this site and on web searches. But at the end of the day, I still like them. I guess it's because I like it when Roland tries to do things like the "COSM" modeling and the spatial "RSS" effects, which I found work, but far as I can tell haven't really caught on cuz people don't want to be dragging their speakers around the livingroom to position them for RSS play effect, nevermind closing drapes. Works nice in headphones...but then you don't get the speaker effect. Either headphones or speakers..

Anyway...Back to monitors. Yes, I like the Roland ds90a's because I wanted to have the monitors that were made expressly for the VS series of recorders. I truly can't say at this point that they are any better than my Alesis...perhaps a tad flatter...which suits me just fine for mastering purposes.

Having said all this, I'm sure both of these monitors won't be the last set I own, but for now, I'm pretty happy with both pairs.

ricco

#1558085 - 01/17/18 04:38 AM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: ricco]
grachus Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 92
Planeteer

Loc: burlington ont, canada
I have Yorkville ysm2p and I do like them a lot however I don't think I have a grasp of the whole mixing thing conversion to mp3 or whatever.. eek,.. love listening through them though

#1559883 - 01/29/18 04:22 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: grachus]
RD Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Michigan, someplace near a swa...
Event 20/20s. From the 90s. Still sound great.

#1570808 - 05/07/18 09:00 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: RD]
audiomediaforces Offline
The Audioman
Planeteer

Loc: The Great Northwest, USA
Event ASP8's. 10+yrs. Love em!
Had lotsa others.

------------------

VS2480 CD, loaded, MacPro/Protools LE8, a Creation Station w/PT LE8, lotsa Telefunken Tubes, couple real old Bellari 2ch pre's, couple old channel strips, fairly nice Mic locker of AT, Shure, AKG, Beyer, Neumann, Charter, Mogami cabling, Event ASP8 mons, several guitars & drawers 'o' stuff.

#1571732 - 05/19/18 03:28 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: audiomediaforces]
Doofie Offline
Doofie
Planeteer

Loc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Roland DS90a, for almost 20 years. So far so good. Also Behringer Truth, okay but different than the Rolands, rolled off in the highs.
-Seneca The Younger ~76AD

I'm David McMillan. My friends call me Chuck.

#1573306 - 06/03/18 01:12 AM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: Doofie]
powermac Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Houston, Tx
I've really enjoyed my Tannoy 802's. For a somewhat moderately priced monitor, they translate really well.
#1586849 - 09/28/18 03:48 AM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: powermac]
WinyardPro Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Great Southern Land.
JBL LSR28P's

WINYARD-PRODUCTIONS.COM

#1587678 - 10/06/18 04:28 AM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: WinyardPro]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
EVENT SP8 and early Apple speakers -- 2 Criteron 12" for subs

#1628092 - 09/02/19 07:42 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: cajun]
Stuart Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Upper Right Hand Coast
Yorkville YSMP1 and Cambridge Soundworks 4 point surround gaming speakers w/Sub for some comparisons..But often mixing and "mastering" is done at 3am on my Shure SRH1840 or Sony/ Sennheiser cans...Still popping mixes on a thumb drive to check in the car though...

"Not all who wander are lost"
~J.R.R. Tolkien

PEGSTONE @ IAC
Barnacles & Stone

"Never Ever make meatloaf when you're stoned" ~ Stu & Lisa
"Sticks & Stones may hide my bones as life will soon desert me" - Barnacled Bill
"There's always room for cello!" ~ Barnacled Bill

#1629803 - 09/22/19 02:47 AM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: Stuart]
Spargo Offline
StrayDog
Planeteer

Loc: Smoky Mountain Foothills
Let's revive the monitor thread. I love speakers!

I got 4 pairs!
Orig 4" KRKs with a rockit sub
EV 100ELs
Custom built 3 ways - triamped 12s, 5s & ribbons. (Mo details upon request)
And a pair of junk RS Optimus powered by an RS receiver

Now I found a parts express project that appears to replicate Focal Twin 6bs. Cant git it off my mind.

#1639252 - 12/26/19 12:32 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: Spargo]
goner Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Ministry of Silly Walks
A7X powered monitors by Adam Audio! I have one set for the home studio and one set for a project studio me and a friend are working on. My Yorkville YSM1Ps have been idle but I might try them out for our home digital piano.

He's loaded up his saddlebags out on the edge of wonder
The one is filled with music and the other's filled with thunder

#1646515 - 03/03/20 11:23 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: goner]
BmC Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Bear River, Nova Scotia, Canad...
Dynaudio BM6A .... love them too!

#1652540 - 04/10/20 08:31 PM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: BmC]
martinsavoie Offline
Planeteer

KRK rokit 5 G-3

i love them

Edited by martinsavoie (04/12/20 06:28 AM)

#1676205 - 08/20/20 05:46 AM Re: What Monitors are you using? Happy with them? [Re: ricco]
ImpTheGreat Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Los Angles, Ca.
I bought a used pair Roland DS90's. Basically for the same reason you did. I like them and look forward to mixing something on them. I'll get some Yamaha HS7's soon. I also have QSC K12.2 which has monitor mode.
Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159833 Topics
1850409 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.