Topic Options
#690808 - 04/16/08 03:04 AM EZ Drummer software
Dan M Offline
Planeteer

Loc: NY
EZDrummer from Toontracks

http://www.toontrack.com/

Purchased from Sweetwater

$150 dollars, with a $50 dollar rebate at the time. The rebate may not be in effect any longer.

This is killer drum software, plain and simple. At 300 bucks it would be well worth it. At 150 bucks, it's a steal. If you're like me, you aren't at all well versed in software for drum sequencing. I can make a drum machine hum, even a keyboard workstation is no problem for banging out a good drum track. But software? I didn't have a clue. But I heard someone’s track with EZD on it and I was blown away. Then I searched youtube for some vids and was further blown away. THIS was a sound I must have! I have the software for a couple of weeks now and I've worked with it a lot. I use it with my DAW of choice- Reaper. Reaper makes easy work of setting up a multi-channel mix of ezdrummer, as well as a terrific bunch of Reaper users at the forum to really help customize your setup. You can also just use the mixer in EZD and not be short changed. It does the job fine. And the humanizer button does an outstanding job of making the performance sound REAL. Turn the humanizer off and see what you been settling for all this time with a drum machine! All I can say is I'm still shaking my head over EZDrummer! It's amazing!

The sound-

Truly unreal. No hardware sequencer or Roland MV or Akai MPC can touch the sound of this program. The overhead mics and room mics are what really make the sound totally real and authentic. Blend them to your tastes and get a sound that no plugin can duplicate, in my experience. There's an endless groove section that allows you to easily assemble a smokin hot groove. And it's not just some token midi grooves. It's packed with many awesome grooves in 4/4, 3/4, 6/8 and all can be double timed if needed. Shuffles, ballads, straight out rock, you name it and it's in there in spades. And not just one groove per style, but up to forty! Not to mention, the player[s] who played for this did an amazing job. Check the website for further details on the session notes. And fills? Plenty! All tasty, and they range from basic to wild! When auditioning grooves, you can literally 'play' the grooves on the fly. All samples load in first, so you don't have glitchy playing with streaming samples like in other software.

Pros-

Too many to mention, although I tried! You can also midi your e-drum kit up with it and finally have amazing drum sounds when you're banging away! Forget your drum brain. This smokes even a TD-20, by far. When I get this setup, I'll update my findings here.

Cons- I haven't found one yet and I've been working the program hard.

I would recommend you have at least two gigs of RAM on a decent computer. It doesn't have to be today's powerhouse computer either. I run a P4 1.8 ghz with no trouble at all and my other pc only has a gig of RAM and it does fine as well. It's the preloading of the samples that makes this a glitch free program. The slower your computer, the slower they load, but that's it. Once loaded, you’re stylin'! Also, you need a DVD rom drive to install it. It's Mac compatible too.

Summary-

This software is so well played and recorded, you'll wonder how you lived without it all this time. Even though you can use it in multi-channel mode for mixing flexibility with plugins and such, just using the stock mixer is perfectly fine. There isn't very much to mix, frankly. You'll approach mixing drums in a much better and easier way than ever before, thanks to how well this production was done in this package. It sounds that freakin great, I kid you not. What you have is an amazing session drummer with killer drums in a killer sounding room that you can tweak, at your disposal any time, day or night...for 150 dollar one-time purchase! Also too, everything is tweakable to make the grooves and fills your own. Your 'session drummer' can play however you need. You're not stuck with stock grooves or fills.

The biggest 'pro'? This opens up creativity. No, it unleashes it. Just playing stock grooves gets the juices flowing. I'm sitting here listening to grooves and song ideas are literally dumping out of my brain! Also too, you can swap out each piece of the kit for a different instrument, be it a different snare, kick, tom, high hat, or cymbals. This is hands down the best purchase I've made in two years for my creativity and to elevate my drum tracks to a truly pro level. No more will I ever think 'it sounds great but I wish the drums were better!'

Dan

Edited by Dan M (05/01/08 02:11 AM)

#693998 - 04/23/08 04:50 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: Dan M]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: SL.UT
+1 for the ezdrummer.

here's the instrument list for the basic package:

Kickdrum:
• 18”x22” GMS Bassdrum with felt and plastic beater
• 14”x22“ GMS Bassdrum doublehead
• 14”x22” GMS Bassdrum with felt and plastic beater

Snaredrums:
• Rogers Wood 4,5“x14”
• Slingerland 70´s 6,5“x14”
• GMS Picollo 13”

Toms:
• 12" GMS
• 14" GMS
• 16" GMS
• 18" GMS

Hats:
• 14" Zildjian HHX Manhattan
• 16" Zildjian Crash Hats

Cymbals position 1:
• 19" Sabian AA Medium Thin
• 16" Sabian HHX Evolution
• 18" Sabian Jack DeJonette Encore
• 13" Sabian Jack DeJonette Encore

Cymbals position 2:
• 18" Sabian HHX Evolution
• 16" Sabian HHX Evolution Ozone
• 18" Sabian Jack DeJonette Encore
• 17" Sabian HHX Evolution

Ride:
• 21" Sabian Handhammered Vintage
• 22" Sabian Handhammered Raw Dry

#732024 - 07/25/08 04:55 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: gonzo]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
It is a good program and a steal at $100 (after rebate).
I like Addictive Drums better, but probably wouldn't pay 2x the amount for it.

I have all of the expansion packs (just got the Nashville pack) and like some, not others.

The Basic Kit is the best/most useful IMO.
The Classic Kit is cool if that's a sound you're after.
I love playing with the Twisted Kit.....it's barrels of fun, if not exactly practical.
I was really disappointed with DFH - it is sooooo processed. Maybe that works for the heaviest of metal by helping it cut through - I just don't like it.
I was also disappointed with Nashville - just too drab.
Claustrophic is just not my thing - agin, maybe it works for the intended genre.
Latin percussion is fun, it's just very limited.

An interesting aspect is that you can use the midi files for any of the sets, which ends up with some interesting results. Also, you can always record the drums and then use another set to layer. You have to experiment to see what works. I have found that layering the snare is interesting/useful. I find the Twisted Kit nice for this purpose, in fact, for me it is the best way to use it. Here's a tiny clip of a basic Twisted Kit groove overlapped with a basic groove from Addictive Drums. It was totally accidental, but I think it shows a bit of how this could work in a creative manner, even if it's not quite your gig:
Twisted + AD

As for "grooves", I prefer to make my own tracks/grooves, but there if you don't, check out Groove Monkee and OddGrooves. It seems expensive for just midi files, but I dunno.....
.....they are better than the grooves that come with the programs (they should be). Check out their free demos. I especially liked some of the Odd Grooves, although there is quite a bit I don't know what you'd ever use it on (ex: 19/16???).

In all, EZDrummer blows away any drum machine you've ever heard. The humanizer and velocity functions are very useful.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#732215 - 07/26/08 12:11 AM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: MadGuitrst]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

I had t change an opinion on the Nashville Drum Kit. It seems I spoke to soon. I installled the Kit late last night and really didn't give it a good run. I still don't like some of the kits or the grooves, but the basic sounds are good.

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#810823 - 01/11/09 02:30 AM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: MadGuitrst]
GtrGeorge! Offline
Planeteer

Loc: in the now.
I think this software os fairly realistic..but the choice of drums is limited, and thats a problem.
But overall, thats somthing they can remedy in the future. Everything else is really good.

#814897 - 01/20/09 07:50 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: GtrGeorge!]
RGR Offline
Planeteer

Loc: UK
roughly what % of the on board loops are heavy rock loops...I'm really only ever going to use h/rock drums, I have no use for dance, c&w ethnic etc...

#814950 - 01/20/09 09:52 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: RGR]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

so buy the DFH set.
#816174 - 01/23/09 01:28 AM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: gonzo]
steverino Offline
Planeteer

Loc: SIllyCon Valley CA
get Superior 2.0....

Buy the EZDrummer packs... Superior 2.0 lets you access all the samples/kits

#816341 - 01/23/09 08:18 AM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: steverino]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

I don't like DFH AT ALL.
The drums are squished and the snares sound tiny - is that what it takes to make drums cut through a dense metal mix?

I am so curious about Superior 2.0 though....have heard great things.

Rolf, remember, EZDrummer is not sample loops, it's midi files playing samples of drums. I think the basic kit is good for rock.

But I'll say it a million times, Addictive Drums sounds significantly better and bigger and are more flexible; however, reading all I have read from you on the drum topic, while AD does not *need* to be editied, it seems you want the easiest format. EZDrummer is still easier to work with, the humanizer function is effective, and it probably would be the best of the big three for you (EZD, AD, BFD). Just get the basic pack and be done with it.

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#816419 - 01/23/09 03:32 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: MadGuitrst]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

yes, DFH DOES have the metal mix sound.

it's all about attack.

i've found some particular pieces of the DFH set, that totally work for me...

and i don't have a metal sound.

#817213 - 01/24/09 10:40 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: gonzo]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Yep, the attack is very fast and the compression is very hard.

I'm glad it works for you.....I guess it's just not been my thing, nor do I think, in general, it's an all purpose drum tool. However, I do recognize it's niche', which is what it's aiming for, again....in general.

I have to say, I was really disappointed when I first heard it.
What did you think when you first heard it?

I was really expecting BIG, not carved....and I didn't hear it until I bought it - too late! I based my purchasing decision based on EZD.

I liked EZD when I first heard and used it (still do) but was floored by AD when I first *used* it, as the sounds are good and the editing just took it over the top (of EZ) for me.

In any case, I am just extremely happy to have tools like this at our disposal (EZD, AD, BFD). Affordable, good sounding - better than if I miked drums at home and with NONE of the hassle -, just great all around to have. It would have been just a dream not all that many years ago.....

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#831128 - 02/25/09 06:03 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: MadGuitrst]
steverino Offline
Planeteer

Loc: SIllyCon Valley CA
you might wanna look at these... wow... punchy...

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/

#995981 - 08/28/10 11:20 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: steverino]
grachus Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 92
Planeteer

Loc: burlington ont, canada
i have ezdrum lite and i need to get the upgrade it is great sounds and i suck at drumming.

#996801 - 09/02/10 05:33 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: grachus]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

superior 2.0 crossgrade sale

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Toontrack-Superior-Drummer-2.0-Crossgrade?sku=720002

#997584 - 09/07/10 12:13 AM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: gonzo]
Popmann Online   content
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
The Slate drums are funny. I bought the nobrainer EX version...why do I say funny? Because they're THE 80s rock drum sounds. It's like I'm in a time warp. Punchy...larger than life...it's like the perfect foil for BFD2, which frankly-sounds like a well recorded drum kit. Maybe actually more like great kit/room--not recorded. For better or worse.

I'll tell you...I'm totally gonna write a hair metal tune just to use the Slate drums...and play some widdly widdly guitar on...scream some falsetto...bring out the bitches, spandex, and the whiskey!

#997668 - 09/07/10 05:58 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: Popmann]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

JUST BOUGHT THE SUPERIOR 2.0 UPGRADE.

WILL FOLLOW WITH REVIEW.......

#997970 - 09/09/10 05:11 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: gonzo]
bluenote Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: gonzo
JUST BOUGHT THE SUPERIOR 2.0 UPGRADE.

WILL FOLLOW WITH REVIEW.......

Me too....well a cross grade from EZ Drummer, mine should arrive today. For $99 I just don't think it can be a bad buy.

#997980 - 09/09/10 06:53 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: bluenote]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR....

download the manual for superior NOW

LOL

man, it's deep.

#997992 - 09/09/10 07:34 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: gonzo]
bluenote Offline
Planeteer

Damn! Wish I would have. Just finished installing....I'm gonna have to mess around with this a bit before I read...and read.....
#999289 - 09/15/10 06:58 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: bluenote]
Arson Dan Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I have EZ Drummer lite ( came with a Presonus Audiobox ) BUT I have owned Superior Drums for awhile, and I like Superior a lot more. Superior has tools for tweaking the drum sounds that is incredible..one in particular..using different weapons of choice..sticks...brushes...mallets...etc. That alone can really add a huge difference in the sound of your tracks.
I am VERY satisfied with Superior.

Dan...

#1000531 - 09/21/10 04:12 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: Arson Dan]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

got superior loaded.

re-did the drums on this, with the new AVATAR studio kit....
sounds great.

24 bit files DO make a difference.

AND

the files are more 'raw' sounding than the ezdrummer.

meaning, i can't just take the stock sounds and run with them...

i've got to treat each and every piece of the kit as if it were a studio recording...
most all the pieces need EQ, Compression, and at times, high/low pass, and then routing to appropriate sub busses with levels of eq and compression/limiting on them.

i experimented most of the weekend, with different scenarios, it's going to take a while, for me to determine what works best, because there are so many options.

for example, there are (3) kick drum ouputs.
one is sub mic, the other two are inside and outside mics.

they completely interact with each other, and the sub is very powerful.
if you're not careful, with a raw sub track, it will DESTROY your headroom!!

LOL

learned that the hard way.

i never had SUB mic tracks on drums before, in analog, so that really is a new trick for me.

but man, does it round out the kick sound nicely.
very dangerous.

#1000781 - 09/22/10 04:44 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: gonzo]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Pensacola, FL
Okay Gents, please help me out with this. I mostly play an acoustic kit but have long kicked around the idea of getting an electric drum kit…have zero experience with software….still recording on an 1880 but have a computer with an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard…..What would I need to get something like EZDrummer up and running….I don’t like the idea of canned grooves…would prefer to either sequence individual parts together or maybe patch together some of the grooves…but would really prefer hooking it up to some e-drums, using EZDrummer software as the brain, and going to town.

So, what do I need in terms of hardware or other software to help me get something like that going?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

#1000786 - 09/22/10 04:59 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: Memphis Monroe]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

https://www.toontrack.com/edrum_for_free.asp
#1000787 - 09/22/10 05:01 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: gonzo]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-9YYiYyMG4&feature=fvw
#1014071 - 12/02/10 03:54 AM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: gonzo]
Stuart Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Upper Right Hand Coast
Bought it and haven't opened the package as yet...Waiting to put a new pc in the studio b4 I install.

"Not all who wander are lost"
~J.R.R. Tolkien

PEGSTONE @ IAC
Barnacles & Stone

"Never Ever make meatloaf when you're stoned" ~ Stu & Lisa
"Sticks & Stones may hide my bones as life will soon desert me" - Barnacled Bill
"There's always room for cello!" ~ Barnacled Bill

#1014175 - 12/02/10 06:40 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: Stuart]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

make sure when you DO install, you go to toontracks.com and set up as a user....

download any updates, and load those on AFTER you do the initial install.

they're doing a sell right now, on all their expansion packs, you might want to check it out.

that said, i still like their basic 'rock' kit the best.

#1014337 - 12/03/10 03:49 AM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: gonzo]
Stuart Offline
Planeteer

Loc: The Upper Right Hand Coast
Thanks for the info gonzo...still trying to make use of my own Roland V drums

"Not all who wander are lost"
~J.R.R. Tolkien

PEGSTONE @ IAC
Barnacles & Stone

"Never Ever make meatloaf when you're stoned" ~ Stu & Lisa
"Sticks & Stones may hide my bones as life will soon desert me" - Barnacled Bill
"There's always room for cello!" ~ Barnacled Bill

#1060737 - 08/17/11 10:53 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: Stuart]
GiveMeApps Offline
Planeteer

Loc: New York, NY
In our studios we prefer NI Products - Battery and Maschine. Nothing beats their library, drag and drop from the desktop functions, and the ability to convert to and from many formats. If I could use every drum library ever created (and we can) with Battery, we would.

#1060900 - 08/18/11 04:00 PM Re: EZ Drummer software [Re: GiveMeApps]
gonzo Offline
purveyor of noise
Loquacious Planeteer

nope.
ni fail

TT rocks

and, it's EZ

LOL

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159740 Topics
1849558 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.