Page 20 of 22 « First<1819202122>
Topic Options
#1226411 - 06/26/13 12:25 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: sonoftherenegade]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
One of the great unexplained mysteries of the ages...... why does a seemingly perfectly good, working VS recorder, burner and discs suddenly stop functioning properly?!?!?
Even more mysterious, how can a CD that was just burned AND verified by the same VS NOT load back into the same machine moments later?!?!?

These are questions that not even Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious Universe, Unsolved Mysteries, In Search Of..., or even ScFi Investigates will ever find answers to!!

#1243740 - 09/15/13 09:13 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: FunkyBeat]
europa_man Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Nova Scotia, Canada
Thanks Bear for all your help on this. All worked according to plan just fine. I always used Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 with midi files to build my songs. The thing to remember is this. You don't have access to all the Roland effects once you loaded the files into Reaper. I now need to start rendering the files to wave files. The files are well recorded on the VS-880ex (soon to be CS-1680) but I will need to start building a plug in effects library in Reaper to spice up these recordings. You also have input the Tempo into Reaper - they all come up at 120bpm.
This is just the beginning. I have to learn how to include the midi file mixes next.
Great information here. By the way I'm using Windows 7 and everything installed smoothly so far.

Eric

#1258545 - 11/12/13 11:07 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: europa_man]
klaus dibbelt Offline
Planeteer

Loc: erzhausen, germany, europe
g´morning! \:\)
using VS Wave Export, i have this problem:
some tracks (typically the last ones i have recorded) don´t seem to be extracted (or not even printed on the backup-cd?). when extracting the files, i get messages like "ingnored. undefined event entry on track 7-1."
any ideas? tia!

#1258546 - 11/12/13 11:20 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: klaus dibbelt]
klaus dibbelt Offline
Planeteer

Loc: erzhausen, germany, europe
burned another cd, and the problem is solved.
those tracks that hadn´t shown up were on tracks that still were armed for recording, and i changed that. not sure, though, whether that´s what did the trick.

#1258617 - 11/12/13 07:09 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: klaus dibbelt]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Hmmm... I've also run into that message from time to time. I never bothered to investigate, since it didn't affect the tracks I converted. I do wonder whether or not you're on to something, however.

Wonder if Bear would care to respond to this one?

#1260630 - 11/22/13 04:00 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: FunkyBeat]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Pensacola, FL
It’s been a while since I’ve ripped anything using Ripper…I managed to get the VS files ripped from a song done on my 1880. The track files are in their own folder, but I want to open them up in Sonar X2. I attempted moving the Ripper files over to Cakewalk’s Project folder, but that didn’t work. What should my next step be to get open these ripped files in Sonar?

#1260664 - 11/22/13 05:16 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: FunkyBeat]
iCloudius Offline
Planeteer

Does this work in MAC ? Cheers
#1260678 - 11/22/13 05:58 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: iCloudius]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
No Mac (or cheese...)
#1260679 - 11/22/13 06:06 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: Memphis Monroe]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Gretsch 6120
It’s been a while since I’ve ripped anything using Ripper…I managed to get the VS files ripped from a song done on my 1880. The track files are in their own folder, but I want to open them up in Sonar X2. I attempted moving the Ripper files over to Cakewalk’s Project folder, but that didn’t work. What should my next step be to get open these ripped files in Sonar?

As far as I know, you can't open a VS song in sonar, as you can in Reaper with the special .dll plug-in.

However, you can convert the VS track files to .wav files using VS Wave Export. Then you can put the .wav files in a Sonar project as audio tracks.

#1260746 - 11/22/13 10:09 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
Memphis Monroe Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Pensacola, FL
 Originally Posted By: uptildawn
 Originally Posted By: Gretsch 6120

As far as I know, you can't open a VS song in sonar, as you can in Reaper with the special .dll plug-in.

However, you can convert the VS track files to .wav files using VS Wave Export. Then you can put the .wav files in a Sonar project as audio tracks.

UUUGGG!...now I have to learn a new process....never ends!...but thanks...I'll give it a try...

#1260860 - 11/23/13 05:27 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: Memphis Monroe]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

It's not difficult to learn... but it is a necessary step.

This depends on how you went about ripping the files from the CD-R.

1- If ripped from the .bat/dos method, then find the folder where the ripped files are located, open VSWE and drag the SONG.VR6 file into the large blank window. This will allow VSWE to read the files and will display the tracks and virtual tracks where data is contained.

2- If ripped with the ripper through VSWE, after the rip is complete, all VS songs on the CD-R will be displayed in the large blank window. You then simply highlight the Song you want to extract w.av files from.

3- The next step is common to both methods. simply select each individual track you want to extract (Ctrl/Click multiple tracks... if memory serves), or even more simply click the ALL button to select all the tracks.

4- Create and browse to a path and folder for your extracted wav files to reside.... this can even be the folder where your ripped song files are located for convenience, if you like.

5- Then, simply click on the EXPORT button.

No further changes or button clicks should be necessary in VSWE, unless they are somehow "needed" by you for something special, or different.... I have never found a need for any other tinkering in VSWE, since my goal is to just extract the wav files as they exist in the ripped folder.

You may get some kind of message about certain "events" being ignored, or described as missing, etc. when you choose a song to extract wav files from. In that case, close the message window and proceed with your extraction. Then, check each wav file to see that it is complete and you should be ready to take off. I've never had issues with the extraction, even when receiving these "events" messages and I've never read any explanation for why they are shown, or what/if anything can be done with the information.... so I've grown to just ignore it. Maybe someone will offer an explanation we can all benefit from someday....

#1282159 - 02/27/14 07:18 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
bensh Offline
Planeteer

I use an outboard drum machine with my VS recorder (alesis sr-18). What happens to the MIDI sync track of a backed up vs song when it's imported into Reaper in this way? Sorry if this has been covered, I couldn't find a thread on it using Search.
#1282188 - 02/27/14 08:44 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: bensh]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Good question!
I've never tried, but I'd guess it's not passed along to Reaper. Hope I'm wrong, if it helps in your case to have it.

Of course, you could always set up a quick test Song to try it out, if you have everything you need to get the Songs imported to Reaper.

#1282243 - 02/28/14 01:23 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
bensh Offline
Planeteer

I haven't yet set up reaper and the VS utilities on my PC, just trying to think ahead to see if I can really make the transition to PC-based. Most of my backups don't have recorded drum tracks, just mixer input settings to run the drum machine in sync. I was hoping there was a way to import the sync track along with the rest of the song so I could sync up the drum machine once an old song was reconstituted on the PC, but wanted to check here first before I went to the trouble.
#1282248 - 02/28/14 01:47 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: bensh]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

An idea...
run your VS songs and sync'd drum machine, while recording the drum tracks directly into Reaper on the PC, through your PC's soundcard. Now you have your drum track on the PC and ready to add to your VS imported Reaper Song files, when you get around to it. Your drum tracks should all line up and be in sync with the VS Song tracks, since you recorded them while they were sync'd to the VS.

#1282251 - 02/28/14 02:10 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
bensh Offline
Planeteer

Thanks for your help with this. So if I understand, you're saying record the drum machine with Reaper using the VS as a clock, and then "manually" sync the recorded drum track with the VS Song tracks in Reaper? Sounds like a decent and resourceful workaround, thanks. Not as flexible as having the sync track obviously, which allows you to modify the drum part and kit sounds as you tweak other aspects of the mix.
#1282261 - 02/28/14 03:35 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: bensh]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I understand your point of view... obviously the better choice, if you haven't fully committed a drum part to a track would be to retain the flexibility. You could always continue to tweak your VS mix until you're pretty close to 100% satisfied and only then record the drums to Reaper... Or you could record a couple of your best versions (at the point where you're pretty certain) and save them for potential parts swapping (much as you might record multiple solos to comp the best version).

Manually syncing the drums to the Songs, or vice versa should be a relatively simple thing to do, since your Song tracks would be imported in their complete timeline reference points to zero.

If you always allow at least two measures of count space from zero to the first beat of the song, the drum tracks will (should) also be in perfect sync by the first beat. If they're not, they should be easy to line up by ear and should not drift over time, since they followed the VS reference beat to stay in sync while playing the drums into Reaper.... and the VS tracks NOT being recorded manually, but simply imported into Reaper.

At least that's the way I see it. Seems to me it should work nicely. It isn't even necessary to sync the PC to the VS clock as the drums are being recorded... or at least it shouldn't be necessary... and that should make it easier still.

Depending on your VS model, you might even transfer a click track generated by the VS.

#1327468 - 09/03/14 09:16 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: FunkyBeat]
TreeDragon7 Offline
Planeteer

I do not understand this passage in the guide :

9. You are almost done! To convert your track(s) to .wavs, you have to select all the tracks you wish to convert with your mouse while holding down the CTRL key. Then select FILE > RENDER and select the following options:

Sample rate: 44100 Mono
Resample mode: Best (what I use)
Render entire project
Output file: Browse to file you want to put the new wavs in
Render stems
Output format: .WAV
WAV bit depth: 16 bit (or 24 bit if you want the best sounding tracks to edit in your software DAW)

I use a vs-1880 ( MTP ) to CD to conversion program .dll file in / to reaper.

choosing a " best " resample mode ?

Rendering ?

My way just makes the tracks show up in a reaper project .

Am I missing something that would make the VS have better results on my Computer ?

thanks for help, Ryan

#1327509 - 09/03/14 11:40 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: TreeDragon7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Since you haven't told us what "your way" is, we don't really know if you're missing something. You'll need to describe your method, in order to compare to the instructions you are confused by.

Basically, the method you quote is part of a description on how to create .wav files from VS tracks, using Reaper as the converter program (instead of VSWaveExport). The author is describing the settings they would use in Reaper to create (render) the best quality wav files from a VS Song that was opened in Reaper via the special .dll file (created by a third party - not originally part of Reaper - to let you open a VS Song in Reaper).

The conversion to .wav files in VSWE are set strictly according to how the VS file format is interpreted by the program. There are no other settings to consider. It's a straight "what goes in is what comes out" thing.

In Reaper, it would be possible to create .wav files that are a different format and quality of "Conversion".... but not "better" quality than the native file quality before conversion.

Resample Mode quality is being described in Reaper by subjective terminology - good, better, best, etc. Best simply means with the least amount of possible degradation of the original.

Render is the process of converting the VS tracks into .wav file format........ same thing VSWE does when it "Exports" the tracks to .wav file.

If you're using Reaper to edit and mix your projects, then rendering .wav files isn't your primary goal and doesn't make any difference to your process.

If you want .wav files from VS tracks in order to edit and mix in a different program (Cubase, Sonar, etc.), then you need VSWE, or Reaper to convert the VS tracks into .wav file format.

Simple as that, really.

#1327587 - 09/04/14 05:52 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
TreeDragon7 Offline
Planeteer

I use the vswe program in dos prompt from backup cd

then I open the song in reaper.

however, I do have the dll file in reaper.

so you are saying that reaper alone can open a vs song from cd all by itself?

#1327619 - 09/04/14 01:29 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: TreeDragon7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

No, I'm saying that if you are using Reaper for your editing and mixing needs, then you have no immediate need to render the VS tracks to .wav files.

You still need to rip the VS songs from the backup CD, as you are doing now, in order to access the VS Song in Reaper.

You may be accessing the cd ripper through VSWE, but the ripper is a separate application than VSWE. The ripper rips the VS Songs from the backup CD. VSWE is then capable to extract (or render, in Reaper-speak) .wav files from the VS tracks.

Understand? There's three applications:
1- the ripper
2- VSWaveExport
3- the Reaper .dll

#1327696 - 09/04/14 06:23 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
TreeDragon7 Offline
Planeteer

ok. but I want to know if I am getting the best out of the conversion process and its options per the original quote. sorry
#1327720 - 09/04/14 07:47 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: TreeDragon7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Like I said.

VSWE exports (renders) .wav files that are whatever the VS files tells it they are.

Reaper renders tracks to .wav files at whatever settings you tell it... the "best" settings will not be "better" quality than the originals. Although there might be situations where a person would want or need to render the VS tracks to different settings that might be better suited for the needed application.

#1327722 - 09/04/14 08:02 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
TreeDragon7 Offline
Planeteer

ever got a error message in this reaper situation where it says cant read edl header ?

not sure why it wont read some song projects

#1327761 - 09/04/14 10:08 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: TreeDragon7]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

The only time I ever got an error message was when I tried to put the wrong VS file type in to Reaper.

Reaper may show many of the VS files in the Open Dialog, but only one type actually imports... I don't recall which and I don't currently have Reaper installed.

#1327793 - 09/05/14 01:00 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
TreeDragon7 Offline
Planeteer

reverted to last version. newest reaper messed it up
#1362316 - 01/15/15 11:12 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: TreeDragon7]
Soundhaven Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Nashville, TN
Hello all,

After years of apprehension, I have finally decided to try backing up my VS tracks to WAV files. I guess I finally got tired of clients asking for their tracks. But it's about time I joined the 21st century!

However, I still find the 20 pages on this thread (all the trouble-shooting and results) to be pretty daunting. Would someone be willing to provide a link to the best, most reliable step-by-step process for doing this? I'd really appreciate it.

Best,

Paul

#1362319 - 01/15/15 11:24 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: Soundhaven]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Check your PM for a download link to the VSWE package.

Probably the sticky at the top of the 2480 forum has most concise directions

#1362537 - 01/17/15 12:28 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: bear]
Soundhaven Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Nashville, TN
Many thanks, Bear.
#1371404 - 02/21/15 06:29 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: bear]
Darth VSer Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 50
Planeteer

Hey Bear!

Could you please PM me the link to the package?

I've got a number of songs already ripped from the backup discs, and stored on my hard drive as .VR6 files. I assume I need to convert these to .wav files now.

It's been a very long time since I've dropped in here. . . how have you been?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Darth

#1371458 - 02/21/15 09:57 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: Darth VSer]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Check PM
#1393149 - 06/02/15 01:34 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: bear]
stratmonger Offline
Space Cadet

I am using 64-bit Win 7. I have successfully ripped the data from the 1680 backup CD which created a series of .VR6 files. I have copied the dll file into the appropriate Reaper folder. When I launch Repear then Open Project and select "SONG.VR6", Repear says: "Unable to open project: unknown extension!"

How do I convert .VR6 files to wav files? Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

#1393163 - 06/02/15 05:26 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: stratmonger]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Only works with 32 bit reaper

Or - use VSWE to convert to wav instead of reaper

#1393372 - 06/03/15 05:08 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: bear]
stratmonger Offline
Space Cadet

Originally Posted By: bear
Only works with 32 bit reaper

Or - use VSWE to convert to wav instead of reaper

Thx - I missed the 32-bit part somehow. I got it working with 32-bit reaper. TY!

#1423142 - 10/08/15 06:19 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: stratmonger]
iCloudius Offline
Planeteer

finally, finally, finally - i had a chance to go through the process.

And it works!!

It works so very beautifully. "THANK YOU" is simply not enough, and those words fail to express my gratitude for this.

thank you to everyone involved on this, that made it happen

Page 20 of 22 « First<1819202122>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
String Jammer
Xenophile
Dave Morris
T57Strat
slotz
GAMBLE
Jammer
Liquidirt
SteveW
JazAddict
motown59
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159732 Topics
1849451 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.032 seconds in which 0.017 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.