Page 3 of 22 <12345>Last »
Topic Options
#13311 - 12/27/06 03:35 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
dabeatman Offline
Space Cadet

first, i wnat to formally thank Randygo, Danielo, and bear, for this breakthrough for legacy vs users. i'm sorry, but that should have been my first reply after registering.

i've been through alot with my 1680 dealing with hurricane "Katirna". got water, but still ticking; cd-burner was stolen and all back-ups was damaged.

finally i'm just getting settled and i found out about the conversion to wavs is very enthusiastic for my set-up. i was thinking of a whole new set-up until i learned about this.

i asked before if it was possible to convert back to the vs because it opens up alot of cross-platform possiblities.

one would be users of daw users to save a wav file of a pre-production and send to someone with a vs setup to mix and possible master a project.

#13312 - 12/27/06 05:19 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Very interesting, I'd like to give it a try but the Reaper VS Plugin link doesn't seem to be working?

#13313 - 12/27/06 05:28 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
FunkyBeat Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma
I just tried the link. Worked perfectly over here.

#13314 - 12/27/06 05:35 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Thanks Funky, It wouldn't work with IE for some reason, I got it ok with Mozilla.

#13315 - 12/27/06 06:18 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Using W2k Pro I got the same hex error as Funky. I tried the Alcohol program but gut an error:
"Unable to add adapters device prolem 31. ACPI function in the bios must not be turned off"
In the bios under Power Management Setup had this this option:
"ACPI Suspend Type" with "S1 POS" selected. The other selections were "S3 STR" and "S1&S3".
I made no changes and tried once again and got the hex error. Not sure where to go from here.

#13316 - 12/27/06 11:18 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
FunkyBeat Offline
Planeteer

I found the following info on alcohol's user help forum.

http://forum.alcohol-soft.com/index.php?showtopic=23934

Other users have reported this problem too and this is how they fixed it. Seems like a few of them were able to turn the ACPI function back on in the bios and then totally remove alcohol from their system... then reinstall alcohol.

Read for yourself. Good luck. \:\)

#13317 - 12/27/06 06:19 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Thanks Funky :thumb:

#13318 - 12/28/06 12:37 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
FunkyBeat Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
Originally posted by bear:
Have you looked in Reaper at options/preferences/audio/device to see what driver is being used?
Wow. Once again, you hit the nail right on the head.

It was set to Microsoft Sound Mapper. Once I changed the input and output device setting to my soundcard driver, the static went totally away.

I will experiment with VS as a control surface for reaper now that this problem is fixed.

Thanks again, bear!!!! :thumb:

#13319 - 12/29/06 02:57 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I've tried both ripper versions and still get the same hex error as Funky. Still haven't tried changes in my bios to get a decent install of Alcohol. My drive is brand new though so I'm not sure if that would be a problem or is it because I'm trying to rip a VS2480 backup disk. I'll try it at work on my XP machine.
I just tried with a backup from vs1880 still same problem.

#13320 - 12/29/06 05:20 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
@Smelley - Exactly what messages are you getting? I believe the raw sector rip is not working on your machine, therefore the hex file is not being produced to extract the roland files from....

But above the "can't find .hex" there has to be some messages about the CD drive access....

If alcohol won't run on your machine, I have little hope that the raw sector read will work...

I do not believe ACPI can be enabled without reinstalling windows.....

If you can get an .iso extraction program to work on your machine, then I think cd2roland would work ok to get the roland files from the .iso file....

did you try ultaiso?

http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/

or magiciso?

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-magicdisc-overview.htm

#13321 - 12/29/06 04:57 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

bear I get the exact same error that Funky got

but I'll check when I get home to make sure. And no I haven't tried the iso image approach. I do believe ACPI is turned on I just haven't tried changes in the settings there yet to allow a decent install of Alcohol adapter.
I will say the process ran perfectly on my XP laptop, using an 1880 and a 2480 project backup, really stunning job by all involved, a big thanks from me to all of youse guys.
I am interested in still trying this on W2k though.
Edited to add, I just tried on a funky Dell laptop running the same w2k as my home desktop and it worked fine. Something about my home computer....

#13322 - 12/31/06 12:04 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Ismellelephant Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Just to add info, I installed an old DVD drive into a Compaq Pentium 500mhz computer running wk2000 and was able to get the files ripped. Nice \:D

#13323 - 12/31/06 07:44 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

Ver 011 of the ripper now available - see applicable post

Funky please update you sticky first page to point to 011....

#13324 - 12/31/06 04:58 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
BmC Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Bear River, Nova Scotia, Canad...
bear do you have any plans to include ripping from a dvd backup disc?

#13325 - 12/31/06 05:53 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

@BmC - it should work on DVD now - I only have one sample DVD disc to try it on, that doesn't have a whole lot of data on it, but it works with that one....

If you have DVD discs please test and see if it works....

#13326 - 12/31/06 10:23 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
BmC Offline
Planeteer

Hi bear, i tried it again, didn't work. My dvd is a sony dvd-r created by the vs2480hd v2.504 this is what i got:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Blair>cd..

C:\Documents and Settings>cd..

C:\>cd vsripper

C:\VsRipper>roland f

VS Backup CD File Ripper - Version 0.1.1 - Don Speirs 12/30/06

Starting Strip process - need to create .hex

Drive type is recognised as CDROM/DVD.

Sending SPC1 Test Unit CDB6 command..done.
Returned good status.

Sending read TOC command..done.
Total user tracks : 1
Total sectors : 1299440

Sense data, key:ASC:ASCQ: 05:64:000.0%
Aborting process.

Input File Found - Now Stripping Roland FileSystem

This is not a valid roland backup file - No Data

Deleting temporary cd.hex file

C:\VsRipper>

#13327 - 01/01/07 05:43 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

Hmmmm

the message

Sense data, key:ASC:ASCQ: 05:64:000

means the dvd drive is returning an "ILLEGAL COMMAND" response in answer to a sector read data request.... so the low level sector reads aborts and the program quits...

I will have to look into it. I may or may not be able to figure something out. I have no way to produce DVD's, or much knowledge of how DVD drives work...

Again, with my one sample of a DVD disc produced on a 2480, and the DVD drive in MY computer it works....

Can you try making an .iso image of the DVD using alcohol?

#13328 - 01/01/07 08:53 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
BmC Offline
Planeteer

sure give me a couple of days bear, thanks

#13329 - 01/01/07 11:27 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
airproofing Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Minnesota
Here is where you can get a pdf of the instructions to use Danielo's, Randygo's, and Bear's utilities. It is culled from the forum and input from Danielo and Funkybeat. There will most likely be updates as the programs evolve. Enjoy!

http://www.marahaleymusic.com/collabs/rdac_to_wav.pdf

Bruce

"Do you expect me to talk? No Mr. Bond I expect you to die."

#13330 - 01/02/07 12:42 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

@BmC - I got your Usendit message, but dude, I am on dialup. It estimates something like 7 hours to download......I can't do that

BUT since you have the .iso ready, just try the roland file rip from the .iso

Put the .iso and the cd2roland.exe in the same directory and invoke the program from a command window with the filename instead of a drive letter....

cd2roland vs2480dvd.iso

If you have any other computers with DVD drives it would be interesting to see how they worked.... something about the DVD drive you are trying is not liking the low level sector read command.... I have 3 different DVD drives on 2 computers here and they all work fine....

#13331 - 01/02/07 02:56 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

@ airproofing - took a quick peek at your .pdf and it looks pretty good...

Couple of suggestions -

On page 6 reword the stuff about the .iso extraction to say

"if the low level sector read does not work on your machine you can use the cd2roland to extract roland files from a .iso image created in another program such as...

just invoke program as cd2roland (filename.iso)

this method will work under win 98 also....."

In describing danielos program add pictures of the program working on a SONG.VRx file

#13332 - 01/02/07 04:21 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
BmC Offline
Planeteer

dialup hey, that makes two of us. \:\(
thanks

#13333 - 01/02/07 04:26 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

How the heck did you upload it on dialup? It's over 94 megs!!

Did you try to extract the roland files from the .iso?

#13334 - 01/02/07 04:57 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
BmC Offline
Planeteer

i went to a friends house :banghead: , where i live high speed is not available. I was able to use your ripper on the iso of the dvd. worked great, odd that it won't read the dvd directly. Do you have to write some sort of code to recognize different brand of media or something. I dunno if this matters or not but the burner i am using was an original vscdr2 that i converted over to a dvd by swapping out the plextor drive for a panasonic sw9585c. Anyways i can always make a iso backup of the dvd to rip the files. thanks bear.

#13335 - 01/02/07 05:35 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

@BmC - sorry, I really don't now enough about the internals of your drive and windows OS in general to know what is going on.

All I can say from seeing how the code and the drive react, is that when the ripper program sends a read sector command, your drive refuses it, calling it an illegal request...

6 different drives on 3 different machines here all accept the command fine, and many other people seem to be having no problem also.

You might just try another computer, or install and try another DVD ROM drive (probably pick one up for $20)

Or it could be something in your OS registry, or an incompatible driver or something.

In Funkys case, just the act of installing alcohol did something to his machine that made it start working. Then he was able to uninstall alcohol and it kept working...

#13336 - 01/02/07 06:16 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Steve Phillips Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Smiths Falls, Ontario, Canada
Happy new year to all!

Seeing as I am currently upgrading from a 1680 to a 2480 and needing to get all my stuff off the 1680, this is a perfect opportunity to test some of this awesome work.

I also have some old stuff from the 880EX that's in MT1.

What I did is very simple.

I did a copy playable of all songs on a partition to my external SCSI hard disk. I then plugged it into the PC and copied all the data to a directory on my PC hard drive. Using Reaper I opened a song. I used the Reaper export function to export the tracks in WAV format. I then created a new project in Nuendo and imported the tracks. Done.

Thanks to the hard work of the individuals here this is utterly simple.

Reaper supports most (all?) VS formats (MT1, MT2, MTP, etc.).

So having all my 1680 data on the PC I don't have to worry even if I have trouble importing them onto the 2480 when it arrives today. I have multiple options on the PC side.

I can't say thanks enough to the folks who worked on all this stuff.

#13337 - 01/06/07 01:54 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

Funkybeat - awhile back you were going to snail mail me a 880 (non EX) disc, to see if I could make the ripper work with it....

I never received it. Did you send it?

#13338 - 01/10/07 07:27 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Coletrain Offline
Planeteer

So your telling me that i can finally transfer all my audio recorded on my vs 1880 to mackie trackion on my computer without using a two track master or putting in audio marker infront of the song to line it up?
#13339 - 01/10/07 09:02 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

@Coletrain - yes, that is what you are being told.... try it and see...maybe we are all pulling your leg... \:D \:D \:D \:D

To get it into Tracktion the easiest way is to use danielos program to convert directly to wav

Or you can use reaper as an intermediate step....convert to wav from there...

#13340 - 01/11/07 08:35 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
Coletrain Offline
Planeteer

WOW!!! you guys of just made my year...i was about to get ride of the 1880 till i herd that.....i am super glad i did....i ow everything to you guys....is it tuff?
#13341 - 01/11/07 11:53 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

Ver 012 of cd ripper at

download

(the thread with the link has fallen out of sight)

#13342 - 01/12/07 04:38 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
dr.el Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: queens ny
Oh my GGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I knew some day some smart dude would figure this out!!! AMEN!!!! Whoa!!!!! This is like finding cure for AIDS!!! nah just kidding, But for real, i am so excited Words cannot explain, i have been trying for 2 years now how to figure out how to do this without having to buy another vs system. the nightmare is OVER FOLKS!!!
#13343 - 01/12/07 04:39 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
dr.el Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: queens ny
Oh my GGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I knew some day some smart dude would figure this out!!! AMEN!!!! Whoa!!!!! This is like finding cure for AIDS!!! nah just kidding, But for real, i am so excited Words cannot explain, i have been trying for 2 years now how to figure out how to do this without having to buy another vs system. the nightmare is OVER FOLKS!!!
#13344 - 01/13/07 03:46 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
bear Offline
Planeteer

Ver 013 of the ripper now up... should work with the older 880 machine backups...

I will leave link up for 012 until a few people have verified operation of 013....

#13345 - 01/14/07 07:53 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE ***
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
I just have to add my HUGE THANKS to Randygo, Danielo,and bear for the tremendous gift of time and effort bringing about the answer to every VS user's plea since the VS series inception!!!!!

Although I have moved almost entirely to the pc for my recording needs, I dearly love my 1680 (wish I hadn't sold one of them now) and my 880 (Yes, the one I bought 6 months after Roland released the cute little workhorses.).

It's such a pity that the good folks at Roland have never neither understood nor acknowledged the importance of communicatimg with the pc and the severe frustration we have all felt over the years..... What a PITY.

But, between Bill Casey (a host of other dedicated souls over the years, both as creators and testers) and the three of you, we now actually have a reeasonably sound process of communicating with the greater professional world through the pc and the tools it offers well in hand! HURRAY!!!!!!

This is OUTSTANDING WORK!!!
THANK YOU Randygo, Danielo, and bear!!

DanT

Page 3 of 22 <12345>Last »

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159861 Topics
1850747 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.024 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.