Page 21 of 22 « First<1819202122>
Topic Options
#1445236 - 01/30/16 01:08 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: iCloudius]
ExOrg Offline
Space Cadet

I am having the same issue that stratmonger was having and using the 32-bit version of Reaper doesn't seem to help.

I also cannot get VSWE to work. When I drag my SONG.VR6 file into the window it won't let me. Anyone have any idea why both of these programs won't work? I have the appropriate .dll files copied and they are in the right place.

#1445253 - 01/30/16 01:58 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: ExOrg]
ExOrg Offline
Space Cadet

I got it to work!

I was apparently ripping the wrong backup disc and trying to use .VR6 files that weren't the right ones. When I did the backup on my 1680 it had me insert two different discs at certain points in the backup. I ripped the one that took the longest to backup to thinking that was the one my song files were on. Nothing I tried worked with that .VR6 file, so I ripped the other CD and it took much longer to rip. I then used the 32-bit version of Reaper with the plug-in and it worked! All 8 tracks playable on the computer and rendered as WAV files, what a beautiful thing!

Edited by ExOrg (01/30/16 01:58 AM)

#1445279 - 01/30/16 03:52 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: ExOrg]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Loc: on land
It sounds to me as though you're talking about having used a multi-disc backup set. The VS doesn't necessarily lay down the files in the way we might expect it to and the necessary files you needed to complete the rip were probably spread across both discs.

It also sounds as though you may have accidentally lucked out and ripped both discs to the same rip folder, without having specifically planned to do so. By ripping both discs to one folder, you managed to complete the otherwise partial rip of the multi-disc set. That's why it worked after ripping the other disc.

Congrats on the success!

Take note for future reference, though.

When ripping a multi-disc backup, definitely rip the two discs into the same rip destination as you did. That will cause the multi-disc backup to accumulate all necessary files into one folder.

However, when ripping multiple single disc backups, always be sure to rename each rip folder (the one or ones inside the main rip folder) from a disc (whether it's one SONG or multiple SONGS on a single disc), after the rip and before ripping another disc to the main rip destination. If you don't, then chances are the next rip will overwrite some of the files ripped from the disc before and your SONG rips will be scrambled. This is when using the Rip utility from a batch file.

When using the rip utility from VSWE, then use the optional tick box to uncheck the "Overwrite Files Each Time" command before ripping more than one backup disc of SONGS that only take up one disc. This will then cause each new rip to be created in a newly named rip destination folder.

I hope that makes sense. If not and you ask, I will create an example to explain it better.

Anyway, glad you got it to work, ExOrg!

#1503310 - 11/14/16 11:18 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
jwinn256 Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Ohio, USA
This worked like a champ in Windows 10 just now. Thanks to those who created this solution! (Paypal contribution sent)

I used the 32-bit version of Reaper and had to use MS Edge browser to get the files from ps136.com to download. Chrome wouldn't do it - it was convinced the files were malware due to the .zip extension and relatively small number of downloads for these files.

#1514320 - 01/16/17 02:58 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: FunkyBeat]
BluRdrCarl Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Ma. USA
Sooooo I recorded a live session today on my 1680, 8 tracks for about 34 minutes, stopped the recording then added about another 20 minutes (8 tracks) after the initial 34. Saved everything, played it back, everything was there on the 1680, the full length, all that I recorded. I then popped out the drive, plugged it into my PC, fired up VS WAV EXPORT, it recognizes the drive perfectly yet I got the following error codes and only the original 34 minutes were there, heres the error codes, please advise I need to get the rest of these tracks into my PC as well:
Undefined Evententry 17 in Trackevents at T1-1 00:34:25 [@1124] ignored.
Undefined Evententry 19 in Trackevents at T2-1 00:34:25 [@1540] ignored.
Undefined Evententry 21 in Trackevents at T3-1 00:34:25 [@1956] ignored.
Undefined Evententry 23 in Trackevents at T4-1 00:34:25 [@2372] ignored.
Undefined Evententry 25 in Trackevents at T5-1 00:34:25 [@2788] ignored.
Undefined Evententry 27 in Trackevents at T6-1 00:34:25 [@3204] ignored.
Undefined Evententry 29 in Trackevents at T7-1 00:34:25 [@3620] ignored.
Undefined Evententry 31 in Trackevents at T8-1 00:34:25 [@4036] ignored.

Thank you! Carl

Carls Custom Guitars

#1531490 - 05/22/17 04:02 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: BluRdrCarl]
mike gouthro Offline
Planeteer

Loc: toronto,ontario,canada
Back in 2010 I used Bear's Reaper/Ripper tool on a 1680 backup disc and created a folder with a SONG.VR6 file along with multiple TAKE files.

I also downloaded the VS plugin: "reaper_vs.dll" and was then able to use Reaper to work on the 1680 songs.

I still have the SONG.VR6 folder and I want to do more work.

Because I replaced my PC a couple of years ago, I no longer have the "reaper_vs.dll" plugin.

Toady I tried to reacquire reaper_vs.dll from:

http://www.ps139.com/vs880ex/util

I got a red screen message "This site ahead contains harmful programs" etc

Is this site really dangerous? If so, where can I safely acquire reaper_vs.dll?

Thanks...........Mike

#1541487 - 08/11/17 02:47 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: mike gouthro]
randygo Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Washington
Get it here while you can, I believe this is the last version I built:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acucskqr68gq03t/reaper_vs.dll?dl=0

#1569153 - 04/15/18 10:13 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: randygo]
FlametopFred_Redux_Part_4 Offline
Planeteer

that link no longer works ... uh, how can I get this ?

#1579962 - 08/04/18 06:40 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: FlametopFred_Redux_Part_4]
FlametopFred Offline
FlametopFred
Planeteer

Loc: at the wave ranch dressing
I finally, finally got it all to work and have been converting all my old VS-1680 files into ProTools files ... this is GREAT

and the original tracks sound very good, I was pleasantly surprised!

Cheers and many, many thanks!

#1607235 - 03/28/19 02:09 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: FlametopFred]
Bravura Offline
Space Cadet

hey there,

has anyone been able to rip tracks successfully from a usb zip drive, or does it have to be scsi?

#1607238 - 03/28/19 03:03 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: Bravura]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Well - the zip drive at the VS end must be scsi...

I don't recall anyone (including myself) that's used a scsi zip drive at the VS and then a usb zip drive on the PC, so I don't have any first hand knowledge of whether the tracks can be exported to wav files through the usb port with a usb zip drive.

I'm pretty certain that the ripper tool (CD2Roland) is strictly cd/dvd related and would not rip a zip disk. But VSWE might see the data on the usb zip drive and allow you to export wav files....... Can't hurt to give it a shot. Just don't put one of your good backup zip disks into a zip drive (of any design), if it has exhibited the click of death syndrome. If it has one time, it will every time and any disk you insert in it will be ruined right away - there's no turning back from that one.

#1607648 - 03/30/19 07:48 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
Bravura Offline
Space Cadet

The problem is, all i have left is the disks and the scsi zip drive. . . nor a scsi port on my current pc.

i guess i'm out of luck, with my current set of gear, unless i get a scsi port.

i saw someone selling a usb zip drive, and thought about giving it a whirl.

there used to be people all over with 880s and cd burners, i should have gotten my stuff put to cd when i had the chance.

does any one on this forum sell their services of zip to cd or to a pro tools session?

#1607658 - 03/30/19 09:06 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: Bravura]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Bravura, check your PM's

Edited by uptildawn (03/30/19 10:14 PM)

#1648367 - 03/16/20 10:31 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
Cataldo Offline
Space Cadet

Loc: Espaņa
Hi,
Another successful try here. I've just recovered several songs from both VS-1680 and VS-880EX CD-R backups. Everything in a MacBook Pro. I've used Cd2Roland in a virtual machine (VirtualBox) running Win10 to extract the Roland format songs from the CD-Rs and then I've opened them in Reaper (with the plugin that allows to do it). For each one I "saved as" the project with the option of transforming the audio files to WAV. Then I switched to Reaper in OS X and opened it flawlessly. Amazing!!

Thank you to all the people that made this possible.

#1648378 - 03/16/20 01:53 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: Cataldo]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Congrats, Cataldo!!!!! That is great news to hear.

#1649784 - 03/24/20 09:19 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
bensh Offline
Planeteer

I am finally, belatedly, and gratefully embarking on ripping VS backups into Reaper. It is running as designed, and the process is a revelation in many ways, thanks to those that made it possible!

Basic question, forgive if too basic:
Does the CD2Roland ripping tool extract just the wav files, or does the resulting directory contain all the data stored in the backup (VS effects, automix, etc.), even though that data obviously can't be imported to another DAW?

In other words does this totally back up my backups? Or just preserve the sonic info?

Less basic question:
Is there a way to "stack" Roland V-tracks after importing into Reaper so that they appear as alternate takes of the same track- which in many cases they are-- rather than as discrete tracks layed out side by side?

Thanks again. The tools and time to do this are one of the few silver linings of these days.

#1649790 - 03/24/20 09:40 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: bensh]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

No way I know of to stack tracks in Reaper - one of the design decisions that is contrary to our VS way of thinking in layers, I know..... bugs me too.
I always ended up rendering out the tracks to individual wav files to import later into my daw of choice - SAWStudio, which happens to work with layers - yay!.

A nice thing about Reaper is the ability to not only render tracks, as most any daw does, but to be able to choose the format - wav, mp3, etc. - which SAW doesn't do very easily.

If Reaper has track group functionality, then I would suggest grouping tracks of like layers (or choice of layers) and muting the unused ones as a mute group of sorts.

Take a look in one of the CD2Roland ripped SONG folders to see what it extracts - Eventlist, a txt file, the SONG file that you open in Reaper and TAKE files from where the tracks are drawn. Reaper and VSWE extract .wav files from that assortment of stuff - the TAKE files, I believe - but it's all gibberish to a Windows operating system (except for the txt file), so don't try to alter the stuff, 'cause it won't do you any good.

And if you haven't done so already - be sure and rename each SONG folder from the generic rip name to a specific name - song title is good, which you can get from hovering the mouse over the eventlist file. If you don't rename those folders, or remove them from the rip folder before you rip another disc, you stand a very good chance of accidently overwriting and scrambling multiple SONG files.

#1649817 - 03/24/20 11:37 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
bensh Offline
Planeteer

Thanks UTD, I'm clear on renaming the SONG folder, and thanks for the workarounds on V-tracks/takes, and the tip on SAWStudio.

Sounds like I need to keep relying on the CDs for complete song backups. Wonder if there's any way to use cloud for that...

#1649818 - 03/25/20 12:07 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: bensh]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I know you can back up the ripped folders to the cloud, or other media (flash drives, hard drives), as I've done that for years. I was just at the stage where I would have been mailing 1680 SONG copies on flash media to a friend via the post office, when we stopped recording some years back. We both had 1680s and both had external scsi drive cases fitted with SD/CF card adapters and were ready to stop mailing CDR backups.

I also had just begun to work out ways to share tracks through the cloud - very convoluted without wav import and export on the 1680 and 880, but a friend and I experimented a bit. But I haven't tried much as of late. VirDIS has been my most recent backup method (there's a VirDIS forum here, if you know nothing of it, but you probably do). I've had it for years and keep transferring my pci card from one pc to the next, as I replace older machines. Now THAT is an easy method for storing stuff to the cloud - whole backups - no problem - and reloadable on any VS of the same model.

#1659474 - 05/17/20 09:12 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: FunkyBeat]
ChampDiggles Offline
Space Cadet

Is bear's VS Backup Ripper Tool only compatible with windows? Do you know if it will work with a Mac?
#1660593 - 05/22/20 12:29 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: FunkyBeat]
ChampDiggles Offline
Space Cadet

Hi FunkyBeat, hope you are doing well! First, thank you for your work for all of us VS users. I been following these detailed instructions but am stuck where Reaper opens the vs track in a new project.
I am receiving an error
"Unable to open project: unknown extension!"
Also, all of the tracks (minus the text doc) are VR6, not VR5 files.
I had a slight issue copying the reaper_vs.dll extension into the plugins folder, but that had to do with security rights. Do you know what the issue could be, or who I might be able to message to get this figured out & working? I would be so appreciative if so!!

#1660611 - 05/22/20 02:00 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: ChampDiggles]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

I don't know if you'll get a response from Funkybeat, but let me take a shot at helping you out.

Let's see - VR6 files are 1680 for sure... are you using a 1680, by chance? The VR6 might belong to other similar models - I don't know that.

VR6 files should open in Reaper.

Okay - just installed reaper 32 bit version on my win7 32 bit desktop to check things out and importing the VR6 file was a breeze. However, it appears that the reaper .dll doesn't work in reaper 64 bit. Are you using reaper 64 bit? Can you install the 32 bit version and check to see of a VR6 file shows up in there? I could tell right away the difference, when I opened the open project dialog and browsed for the SONG folder, all the VS files showed up as supported file types, without my having to change it to All Files.

Just tried installing 32 bit reaper on my windows 10 laptop that already has 64 bit reaper installed on it. Although the 32 bit version installed alongside the 64 bit version without issue, it will not open the VR6 file, nor does it show the file in the open project dialog box as it does on my win7 machine.

Is it possible that the reaper dll doesn't work in win10? Is it possible that it doesn't work in 64 bit reaper? Is it possible that it doesn't work in either?

Okay, so I just tried the 32 bit version of reaper in win7 64 bit, too. It installs fine and works, but it does not recognize the same VR6 SONG file that my win7 32 bit machine will.

I'm suspecting the problem may lie in using a 64 bit windows operating system. Has anybody successfully used the reaper dll to import VS SONGS into reaper 32 bit, or 64 bit versions with any Windows 64 bit operating system?

ChampDiggles, are you using a 64 bit operating system and can you test reaper and the dll on a 32 bit system?

Edited by uptildawn (05/22/20 02:03 AM)

#1660672 - 05/22/20 09:21 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
martinsavoie Offline
Planeteer

(Quote)uptildawn

Is it possible that the reaper dll doesn't work in win10? Is it possible that it doesn't work in 64 bit reaper? Is it possible that it doesn't work in either?(Quote)uptildawn

the dll work on win10-64bit,but reaper 64bit doesnt recognise the
vs-dll (need reaper 32bit installed to make it work..

#1660719 - 05/22/20 02:35 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: martinsavoie]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Aha! You are so right martinsavoie.
I forgot to copy the vs .dll into the reaper 32 bit plugin folder on my wein10 laptop. I copied the vs .dll into the plugin folder just now and my test 1680 SONG import works just fine.

I will test this with my win7 64 bit pc as well, but I suspect it will also work.

#1660734 - 05/22/20 03:14 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
martinsavoie Offline
Planeteer

cool uptildawn \:\)

Edited by martinsavoie (05/22/20 03:15 PM)

#1660843 - 05/22/20 07:23 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
ChampDiggles Offline
Space Cadet

uptildawn, thank you for your f*^#ing amazing insight, that was the issue, and it finally, finally is working!!!! I am estatic
#1660868 - 05/22/20 09:07 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: ChampDiggles]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Great to hear good news!!!
I've also got it working on 2 different 64 bit windows now - win7 and win10... yay!

#1669358 - 07/05/20 04:05 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
ChampDiggles Offline
Space Cadet

Hi everyone,
I'm loving being able to use VS tracks in a new platform, truly amazing!

I'm also occasionally finding two problems in this process:
1. Some cd's are not able to be ripped with the Cd2Roland.exe tool, there is an immediate error of

Sense data, key:ASC:ASCQ: 05:24:00
Could not read TOC!
Aborting process.
Input .iso or .hex File Not Found

2. Some songs that were successfully created into VR6 files, when trying to open the SONG file like all others, receive a pop-up message of
"LIV encodings are currently not supported"

uptildawn, have you ever come across these errors and know how to resolve them? Has anyone?

#1669363 - 07/05/20 04:40 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: ChampDiggles]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

LIV recordings will not be supported, ever.... unless some inventive person comes up with a way to make it happen.

Not sure about the TOC error (table of contents)... must not be a proper backup disc, or it's not finalized, or corrupt, or something..... sorry that's not much help, is it...

Those LIV recordings will need to be reloaded onto a VS machine and then re-recorded in realtime to a pc through a decent interface. Maybe you can do the same with the other un-ripable discs?

#1669376 - 07/05/20 07:35 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
ChampDiggles Offline
Space Cadet

uptildawn,
It's always helpful to have more information, thank you!

Edited by ChampDiggles (07/05/20 07:35 PM)

#1713606 - 01/30/21 03:16 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: FunkyBeat]
Brian_D Offline
Space Cadet

Greetings, everyone! New member, here. I had posted some questions about converting Roland VS-880 files using the detailed instructions (using 'Reaper'). I am now editing my post to say I first installed / tried Reaper x64, which failed. I then tried the 32 bit version as others have mentioned, and voila! Finally! Just wanted to say thanks to all of you for posting this information so I can finally capture my old songs in a different format! Cheers, Brian
#1713613 - 01/30/21 03:48 AM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: Brian_D]
uptildawn Offline
Planeteer

Thank you for posting your success, Brian! It's really good to know that we can still get use from our Roland recorders and save our precious work.

#1719986 - 03/05/21 10:53 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
Sonny Offline
Space Cadet

Anyone having success getting stuff off the backup CDs? I'd pay someone to get my files off a few!
#1719988 - 03/05/21 11:15 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: Sonny]
Heartwaves Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Georgia or somewhere in the k...
It's always worked for me. I verified the backup cd's when I made them.

#1720149 - 03/06/21 10:18 PM Re: *** FunkyBeat's VS CD Backup to WAV detailed GUIDE *** [Re: uptildawn]
Sonny Offline
Space Cadet

I've got an old record I'm trying to get the tracks back for, I bought a 1680 but the CD drive that came with it was dead.

Edited by Sonny (03/06/21 10:23 PM)

Page 21 of 22 « First<1819202122>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159764 Topics
1849743 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.055 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.