Loc: carmel valley,ca
What brand to purchase -- our UA M610 pre not working

One 6072 tube. And a single commonly known 12AX7 --

plenty of choices on Amazon --trying to narrow it down

#1893489 - 03/26/24 01:53 AM Re: Need some tubes [Re: C Jo Go]
Dot Offline
Planeteer

Loc: New York
Get this Mullard 12AX7 tube, and this Mullard 12AT7 (6072).

We found some of these colored character preamps like UA and Sebatron really benefitted from Mullard tubes. It made them sit up and become more musical and a better overall general preamp.

"I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection." — Leonardo da Vinci

#1893493 - 03/26/24 02:42 AM Re: Need some tubes [Re: Dot]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
How do you know it's a preamp tube?
It's not working at all, as in won't turn on?
If it won't turn on, it's probably just a fuse.

FWIW, preamp tubes don't get beat to death like power amp tubes that are constantly pushed hard.
They can last a loooong time, even a lifetime.

Anyway, those new Mullard tubes from Amazon are not the same as the old ones - they're made in Saratov Russia at the Electro-Harmonix factory - Mullard is long gone, except for NOS. That doesn't mean they're not good; that factory makes many tube brands and is considered to be solid, and they'll certainly work, they're just not the same as old Mullards. IOW, not special in the same way.

If you're going to get a real Mullard 12AX7 NOS tube, look for a CV4004 (a 12Ax7 equivalent).
The Mullard 12AT7 equivalent is the CV4024.

The Mullard CV4004 and CV4024 tubes are military grade versions of the 12ax7 and 12at7 and are considered good upgrades for mics and preamps over many currently made tubes. That's what I would recommend (or Telefunkens or NOS RCA, though they are probably more expensive than you want to go).
I would also recommend to buy from a reputable online tube store, not Amazon, at least not for getting something like a NOS tube (for new ones, it might not matter. Still.)

I have the Mullard CV4024 in my Sebatron, and have at least one spare CV4024 and 4004 which I have used/swapped in mics and guitar and mic preamps (along with some true NOS Telefunkens that I pulled out of unused, old medical equipment years ago, along with some RCA, JAN Phillips, and other NOS 12ax7s, which would also be good).

That said, iirc, Popmann has one of those preamps. Maybe he has tried different tubes in his and has an opinion.

FWIW, here's the difference in price you'll see in NOS and current production Mullards and other tubes:
https://www.tubedepot.com/t/tubes/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025-cv4004
https://www.tubedepot.com/t/tubes/preamp-tubes/12at7-ecc81-cv4024

The Mullards I have look like this (complete with the white box \:D ):
https://www.tubedepot.com/products/mullard-cv4004-12ax7

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1893501 - 03/26/24 03:27 AM Re: Need some tubes [Re: MadGuitrst]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Thanks BOYS -- the tube went out about 2+ years ago -- I guess I must use this pre more than I thought -- Only turn it on 1/2 hour before a session and then maybe a few times a week ..

Our DVC Manley is for our DI and stereo mic setups ...

Will search out the links --- UA is near by > about a hour drive ... but sure I can find on line ..

#1893502 - 03/26/24 03:36 AM Re: Need some tubes [Re: C Jo Go]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

But you didn't answer: How do you know it's a preamp tube?
Does it turn on?

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1893513 - 03/26/24 05:34 AM Re: Need some tubes [Re: MadGuitrst]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
Yeah, mine is dead, and i promise you it's not a tube!

Also, to correct something said above, a 6072, which is the output line driver, is a 12aY7….not AT7. In a guitar ampit matters less than using it as an output line driver. They wouldve used JANs. Thats the acceptable replacement. I havent looked recently, but id guess that a NOS 6072 will cost multiple hundreds. Thank chinese mic makers.

You need to take it to UA and have them bring it back to spec. Id have them repair mine, but shipping two ways…on top of the bench fee….means Id pay more than its worth to sell. Your ability to drive it to/fro….changes that equation.

I do have some old stock guys in there….but, the ax7s are RCA, I think? They were a gift from an amp builder. They were so quiet, i thought it would be a shame to use them in loud noisy amps. Sounded better than the JJs or EH -I dont remeber whichI decided the stockones werre. Unbranded, butI compared the guts toones I have here.

#1893535 - 03/26/24 11:52 AM Re: Need some tubes [Re: Popmann]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Man, that sucks.

Have you opened it up just to see if there is something obvious, like blown/burnt caps/resistors? I would think there was somebody in the Nashville area who could repair it, but then, I actually have no idea. just an assumption based on it being Nashville.

The prices on some of those old 12ax7 have gotten crazy. Telefunken 12ax7 for $150? Okay, I guess. $399 to $1300?!?!? That's insane. A Mullard CV4004 for $250? Nuts. I think I paid $40 and that was expensive enough vs $12.95 for a current production 12ax7 at the time. Oh well, I'm glad swapping tubes doesn't interest me much these days.

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1893559 - 03/26/24 01:32 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: MadGuitrst]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

I have an amp that was designed to have a 5751 in v1….those JANs were $25-30 all day for….decades….now theyre $70-130 from dealers. You can still buy them from Ebay and such in pairs for less, and what I might do….Ive gotten several brands of new production ones that really sucked.

Yes, Ive been in the LA610 with a multimeter….replaced all tubes, including the “only old stock” compressor tube….as well as quotes from local guys. Who firsthad to see if Ua would “release the schematic to them”….yes…its a little like my guitar. Id have to love it more than I do. It had really served as my bass DI primarily for years….I bought Webster’s Neve DI some time ago. Functional role filled.

#1893596 - 03/26/24 03:54 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: Popmann]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Speaking of your guitar, you never get it repaired?

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1893612 - 03/26/24 04:22 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: MadGuitrst]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

No. Cajun took pity on me and sent me his Sire Carlton...it's interesting in that it's VERY bright...the Heritage was (to a fault sometimes) like mollassess "warm"...

But...I got another couple quotes...all $1k give or take a few hundred. It needs some frets replaced too, but the majority of the work it the snapped headstock (obvi)...it's a beautiful looking guitar...I'll probably sell it "as is". Put that with the "imaginary" $1200 repair bill...and get a new axe of some sort.

I mean-- I was LITERALLY getting ready to sell it before it fell because THEN the market for them was SO high...and it was never "love" for me. So, it's been in the case. Out of sight...out of mind...

#1893614 - 03/26/24 04:22 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: MadGuitrst]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: MadGuitrst
But you didn't answer: How do you know it's a preamp tube?
Does it turn on?

The last 3 vocal trackings < over the last two weeks > I noticed a 'crackling ' sound ...thought our RME interface/clock was going....

Yes ~ it lights up....but no output. \:o

#1893624 - 03/26/24 04:36 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: Popmann]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Popmann
No. Cajun took pity on me and sent me his Sire Carlton...it's interesting in that it's VERY bright...the Heritage was (to a fault sometimes) like mollassess "warm"...

But...I got another couple quotes...all $1k give or take a few hundred. It needs some frets replaced too, but the majority of the work it the snapped headstock (obvi)...it's a beautiful looking guitar...I'll probably sell it "as is". Put that with the "imaginary" $1200 repair bill...and get a new axe of some sort.

I mean-- I was LITERALLY getting ready to sell it before it fell because THEN the market for them was SO high...and it was never "love" for me. So, it's been in the case. Out of sight...out of mind...

So, how's the Sire play/feel?

That is a crazy high price for that repair. It's a shame all around. You are probably better off selling it as is and doing what you said, all things considered. Have you ever thought about reaching out to Travis Franklin? It's a thought.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do. No matter what, it's a bite!

Originally Posted By: C Jo Go

Ask one of your guitar playing friends to borrow a tube from one of their amps.
Surely they all have 12ax7 in them, and most likely someone has one with a 12at7 too. It would be the easiest way to rule a bad tube in or out....and it would be free.

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1893639 - 03/26/24 05:37 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: MadGuitrst]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Ask one of your guitar playing friends to borrow a tube from one of their amps.
Surely they all have 12ax7 in them, and most likely someone has one with a 12at7 too. It would be the easiest way to rule a bad tube in or out....and it would be free.

Even better :: my neighbor and long time friend from Highschool --has been collecting tubes and gear >> since the 1970's > he has the cheaper Chinese AX7 for me >> but the original NOS are going to be expensive == especially the rare ones he has in collection....

Does take two : to remove the UA from our desk/rack ... one ~ on your back pushing the unit through carefully (disconnecting everything ) and someone to retrieve from the top..

Edited by C Jo Go (03/26/24 05:40 PM)

#1893644 - 03/26/24 06:14 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: MadGuitrst]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215479643-Replacing-Tubes-in-Your-UA-Analog-Hardware

If it's the M610, it's only two tubes. And they DO say a 12AT7 will work in place of the 6072. Fair enough. That's their own page. A 12aY7 IS a 6072....but, obviously they've updated since those have gotten so pricey. Good to know they tested the AT7s.

So, with two...I mean if you're buying NEW production, I'd get a 12ax7 and a 12aY7. But, if you're shopping old stock, the 12AT7 will be the cheapest old stock going.

Re:Sire...the thing he hated about it I don't love--Larry got them to cut it narrower at the nut. I have big hands. It's really cramped in first position. Someone, I think before Cajun had the pickups switched to "inspired by Gibson" Epiphone. I mean, the Heritage played nicer. ;\) I've currently got it tuned to Eb with 10s in order to practice my "not grabbing hard".

#1893645 - 03/26/24 06:17 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: C Jo Go]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

There's nothing that says you have to put NOS tubes in it - it certainly didn't come with them. I would say check out the Genalex Gold Lion ECC83, but maybe somebody else has an idea.

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1893646 - 03/26/24 06:18 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: MadGuitrst]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

POP or MAD

Can I substitute the 12 AT7 with a 12 AU7 ??

Edited by C Jo Go (03/26/24 06:21 PM)

#1893650 - 03/26/24 06:35 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: C Jo Go]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

No...AU7 is super DUPER low gain.

12aY7=6072....and the 12AT7 (or ECC81 is the same) is close in gain, which BECAUSE UA says it's ok to sub, is fine.

#1893654 - 03/26/24 06:39 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: C Jo Go]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

All 12a?7 tubes and their equivalents have a different amount of gain (amplification factor).
Can you substitute different ones for each other? For the most part, yes.

Will they sound better or worse? Maybe and maybe.

Unless you understand what you're doing and have a reason/goal for doing it, I wouldn't advise it for you. That is, not if you want it to sound the same/operate properly.

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1893657 - 03/26/24 06:44 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: MadGuitrst]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Only that the AU7 is readily available down the street ..not sure how much difference I will hear with a original NOS ..

hey > it just goes from my RME to the 2480 ;\) Maybe with RADAR I would hear a slight difference

Edited by C Jo Go (03/26/24 06:49 PM)

#1893662 - 03/26/24 06:57 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: C Jo Go]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

CJo, read what Pop said.

Let's just say don't do it.

Besides, 12ax7 are the most common preamp tubes there are. Every guitarist you know probably has about 3 of them in each of their tube amps, and if you have any other tube gear, you do too.

Maybe you can even pilfer a few from one of your neighbors television sets or console organs. \:D

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1893665 - 03/26/24 07:26 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: MadGuitrst]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
UA recommends 12AT7 for replacing 6072

https://help.uaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/215479643-Replacing-Tubes-in-Your-UA-Analog-Hardware

But - as Mad said - why do you think the issue is tubes? What are the symptoms with the unit?

A totally dead unit MIGHT be tubes - but in my mind it is 50-50 could really be something else.

A noisy unit that was somewhat working is more likely tubes in my mind.

Oops - did not see Pops already posted that link.

Edited by bear (03/26/24 07:29 PM)

#1893669 - 03/26/24 08:05 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: bear]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: bear
UA recommends 12AT7 for replacing 6072

But - as Mad said - why do you think the issue is tubes? What are the symptoms with the unit?

A totally dead unit MIGHT be tubes - but in my mind it is 50-50 could really be something else.

A noisy unit that was somewhat working is more likely tubes in my mind.

Oops - did not see Pops already posted that link.

thanks BEAR >> will try and troubleshoot .. the noise was most likely a tube prob. Will do a DI test today ++ mic section totally quiet of any signal to the board ..

Have a 12 AX7 ready ** just not a AT 7 >> a AU7 standing by :: But POP says way low output in comparison

#1893670 - 03/26/24 08:09 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: bear]
Popmann Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

You need the RIGHT tube...don't think one tube sounds "better" in the frou frou butterfly wings way I appreciate...I mean they DO...but, that's irrelevant to you with your "not Radar" ;\) --you still need the PROPER tube TYPE.

If I can read schematics right, an M610 ONLY has two tubes. A 12ax7 and a 6072 (which you can replace with a 12AT7 if the correct tube isn't available). Little different than mine with 4 octal tubes as a long skinny old stock guy...otherwise, sure--venture the $50 on new tubes. If nothing else, you have spares...which are also guitar amp tubes. Who knows then that will come in handy.

#1893675 - 03/26/24 08:24 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: Popmann]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

You need the RIGHT tube. --you still need the PROPER tube TYPE.

I will get someone over to help remove the unit soon -- he has a 12 ax7 in stock & I can order the 12AT7 ( $30 on Amazon ) here in day ...

thanks guys I can get by with our DVC Manley ** for the most part -- but a vocalist on the 8th will require the gain/sound of the UA

#1893685 - 03/26/24 09:17 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: C Jo Go]
bear Offline
Planeteer

Loc: abq,nm,usa
Shotgunning tubes sounds like a relatively cheap/easy troubleshooting exercise.

Good luck, I hope that tubes fix it.

#1893690 - 03/26/24 09:46 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: bear]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Removing the rack with help tomorrow -- and with a experienced tube tech at hand -- he will be bringing over his stock of the correct tubes ... Will post the favorable results ...

What would any of you suggest for a solid state pre -- like the UA Universal Audio 6176 --but not that pricey & without tubes ..

#1893699 - 03/26/24 10:03 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: C Jo Go]
FalconEddy Offline
Retired Mastering Marvel
Planeteer

Loc: Litchfield, NH, USA
You need the RIGHT tube. --you still need the PROPER tube TYPE.

I will get someone over to help remove the unit soon -- he has a 12 ax7 in stock & I can order the 12AT7 ( $30 on Amazon ) here in day ...

thanks guys I can get by with our DVC Manley ** for the most part -- but a vocalist on the 8th will require the gain/sound of the UA

C Jo, why not test out a strong, vintage, used 12AT7/ECC81. Should cost you under $20, and you'll know IF that's the issue, or NOT.

Tons of them on EbaY, dude.

Your Choice.

. . Falcon

#1893700 - 03/26/24 10:07 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: FalconEddy]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Have the 2 tubes over tomorrow -- and free from my long time acquaintance ++ he will install. We both have really bad backs >> so hopefully together we can uproot this preamp ** from the rack >>

#1893715 - 03/26/24 10:42 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: C Jo Go]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

What would any of you suggest for a solid state pre -- like the UA Universal Audio 6176 --but not that pricey & without tubes ..

Don't be afraid of tubes. See if you get yours working and go from there.

A recommendation for a SS preamp? Depends on what you're after.
Do you want clean? Aggressive? Bold? Euphonic?
For vocals only? Guitar? Both and more?

Dot should have lots of ideas here, and I would trust his opinion, as I do Popmann's.

How about a great all rounder: John Hardy Jensen Twin Servo 990. Or maybe a Hardy M1.
You could buy a Seventh Circle Audio 990 clone, fully assembled, single channel, for around $850.

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1893725 - 03/26/24 11:03 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: MadGuitrst]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Do you want clean? Aggressive? Bold? Euphonic?
For vocals only? Guitar? Both and more?

Both and closer to clean --- I can post ad the rest of flavor

#1893729 - 03/26/24 11:06 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: C Jo Go]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Then the Seventh Circle Audio SCA J99 would work great.

But one thing at a time. Focus on your UA M610 for now.

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1893731 - 03/26/24 11:16 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: C Jo Go]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Something with a bit of EQ PRE

Edited by C Jo Go (03/26/24 11:19 PM)

#1893741 - 03/26/24 11:59 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: C Jo Go]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

I've never heard it, but it's supposed to be pretty darn good, if you want a Neve-ish flavor.

Go for it! \:D

- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1893791 - 03/27/24 06:44 AM Re: Need some tubes [Re: MadGuitrst]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

I've never heard it, but it's supposed to be pretty darn good, if you want a Neve-ish flavor.

Go for it! \:D

Like ya said :: first get the UA going ---

#1893933 - 03/27/24 05:38 PM Re: Need some tubes [Re: Popmann]
C Jo Go Online   content
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Yeah, mine is dead, and i promise you it's not a tube!

Yikes >>> could the UA need more than just a tube ??

Short drive in distance to the UA store ( 60 miles ) --but ~ way too much bumper to bumper 2 lane traffic and a hassle in time -- easier to ship . ;\)

Page 1 of 2 12>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159876 Topics
1850923 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.02 seconds in which 0.006 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression disabled.