Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
#1062688 - 08/28/11 05:04 AM technology you wish was better
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Walmartville
You know with all the freakin' things they can make a smart phone do, you'd think they could come up with a microwave that senses the proper temperature of food to cook things proper, and shuts down automatically at the right time.

#1062695 - 08/28/11 05:42 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: AL]
Jazzooo Online   content
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico ...
There really isn't any technology that I don't wish was better. DAW software, electric pianos, satellite radio, Dish Network--it can all stand some improvement, imo.

#1062698 - 08/28/11 06:03 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: Jazzooo]
Doofie Offline
Doofie
Planeteer

Loc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
I think some microwaves can do that Al, but I think you need a probe to measure the temp.

But frankly I don't want technology to get so far that it doesn't need me to control it.

Remember HAL? Okay, that was lame. But not completely.
-Seneca The Younger ~76AD

I'm David McMillan. My friends call me Chuck.

#1062712 - 08/28/11 08:38 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: Doofie]
Jammer Offline
Planeteer

Here ya go Al.
http://www.google.com/#pq=sensor+microwa...2&bih=1055&bs=1

I'm not sure how well they work. Until 10 minutes ago, I didn't even know they existed.

#1062720 - 08/28/11 10:06 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: Jammer]
kendall Offline
Planeteer

Loc: amsterdam, netherlands
An improvement in the Morality of the phone and Internet service providers!
Users are so locked in and at the mercy of software and program control to give max profit their way. We buy the devices, but the control is not ours. Example: Bought a digital set top box, which is a converter and hard disk recorder for cable TV, from the Cable/ Internet/TV service provider. They disabled the Ethernet ports and the USB port so as to lock the machine in to their movie and tv series Store. With that one LAN port opened, I could view any thing on my computer or iPad on HDTV, but now to dothat I have to purchase another box at 100 to 250 Euros to get the same results as what was already there from the manufacturer. Oh yes, and the billing!! I have a degree in engineering and yet struggle, sometimes futily, to interpret the monthly charges. This is in Holland of course, where even people on welfare need to employ accounting services to handle the complexities of tax. Must be better elsewhere. I'm sure. ;\)

#1062801 - 08/28/11 05:16 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: kendall]
Jammer Offline
Planeteer

After going through the entire cycle in the dishwasher, ALL OF THE FREAKIN' DISHES SHOULD BE COMPLETELY DRY !!!!

That INCLUDES THE UPSIDE-DOWN COFFEE CUPS AND ALL OF THE TUPPERWARE!!!

I don't know, incorporate a blower of some sort to get the majority of the water off and THEN use the heat to dry them completely? I'm no engineer but there's got to be something fairl simple to accomplish this.

#1062806 - 08/28/11 05:47 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: Jammer]
Popmann Online   content
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Twangville, TN
Technology?

Well, to get technical about DAWs...because while the thread isn't, this is a recording forum.

-the 32bit mixer that is in use now in most software was developed over a decade ago. This means that the audio fidelity is as good as it will get...or people are a bunch of lazy deaf compromise monkeys. Since I have a better sounding digital mixer just as old, I'm going with the latter. FIX IT.

-While we're at it...include models of the classic mixers into the fundamental structure. Like an option: Console modeling: off/API/Neve/SSL/Trident...the gold standards are what they are, don't make me buy third party plugs to insert on every channel and bus in order to get that. Every revision should have better physical models due to Moore's Law.

-RADAR got people comfortable with tape to love digital with their converters a decade ago. Why do we ALL not have that caliber convert chips at this point? If you're not going to move to DSD...at least take notes from the guys doing PCM right. My friend in town is in absolute "WTF was I thinking before" after getting a used UA 2192 that's like 5+ years old.

-Digitally controlled (via "direct monitoring" in the software) analog mixer in computer interfaces. Even for the things that it makes no difference in the end resulting track, it's amazing how much more FUN it is to actually hear the analog feed of what you're playing. Now that latency is so "low" on new systems that those who want to can monitor via software--give direct monitoring what it always wanted to be--to actually be analog...and get to put back the "zero latency monitoring" claims.

-SACD. Just f'n adopt it. The CD is dead. The handful of people left who are buying CDs for the fidelity will gladly throw a couple more bucks at SACD...and it can be made dual layer (backward compatible unlike DVD-A) for the folks buying them because they don't understand "the internets".

Outside DAWs...I think digital cable and the motolora set top box Comast uses for it are slow and stupid. I can't believe people have chosen an onscreen TV guide over being able to change channels quickly and not have the picture wig out when it rains hard enough. Not to mention the compression artifacts in the picture...on a STANDARD TV...maybe they just give all the bandwidth to the HD channels...

I want to be able to delete songs from my iPod/phone from the unit itself. I understand this is actually on it's way in the new OS, though.

Agree with Al on microwaves...but use them as little as I can...because they suck for more reasons than that. Let's get one that doesn't suck the taste out of the food while we're at it.

#1062844 - 08/28/11 10:03 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: Jammer]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Jammer
Here ya go Al.
http://www.google.com/#pq=sensor+microwa...2&bih=1055&bs=1

I'm not sure how well they work. Until 10 minutes ago, I didn't even know they existed.

yeah thanks. Somebody told me this on another board as well, who could've guessed, I may have to buy me one o' them. \:\)

#1062855 - 08/28/11 11:15 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: AL]
Herr Doktor Offline
Planeteer

Traffic lights.

Why can't they make them smart enough not to turn red WHEN THERE ISN'T A FUCKING CAR (other than mine) within miles!

#1062872 - 08/29/11 12:48 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: Herr Doktor]
The Vampire Lestat Online   content
Planeteer

There are plenty of medical advances I'd like to see.
#1063001 - 08/29/11 03:09 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: The Vampire Lestat]
Xenophile Online   content
Planeteer

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: The Vampire Lestat
There are plenty of medical advances I'd like to see.

Let's start with taking the psychosis out of menopause.

#1063008 - 08/29/11 03:32 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: AL]
slotz Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Colleyville, Tx
 Originally Posted By: Al
You know with all the freakin' things they can make a smart phone do, you'd think they could come up with a microwave that senses the proper temperature of food to cook things proper, and shuts down automatically at the right time.

Guess what? You take food out of the oven too soon.... not done.
Leave it in too long...burned

LEARN TO COOK!

#1063015 - 08/29/11 04:08 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: slotz]
ulank Offline
Forum Person
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago, IL
On the flipside, you know what else pisses me off?

Unnecessarily overengineered or inappropriately engineered "technology."

Now, I don't know if this is consider "technology" but I was looking for a new paper towel holder - in theory, all this should entail is a HEAVY base, with a freaking pole sticking up from the middle. Instead? I found 3 different ones with a base so light, you're guaranteed to knock it over whenever you pull off a paper towel. Then others have a spring loaded arm that presses against the roll, supposedly to hold in place, as if the paper towel roll intends to go somehwere...sure, supposedly it helps hold things in place while you tear off a sheet, but the tension is such that it's difficult to pull in the first place.

Then I thought I found it. A nice heavy holder with a "quick release" knob on top....and then I noticed the base had some countour around the edge of the base and any "double-thick" paper towel roll would be too big for it....that unecessary bullshit is probably why it cost $30.

So...now I'm seriously tempted to just use a bass drum mic stand as a paper towel holder.

I also totally agree on traffic light timing...we bitch about emissions all the time yet our roads are inefficient as hell...and f toll booths...

#1063433 - 08/31/11 01:13 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: ulank]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

Loc: Southern Wisconsin
Whatever is being designed, engineered, etc I wish they would test it properly in the real world before they go telling you how great it is and how much better you're life will be with it. They pull the trigger way to fast when they decide to implement changes and new designs.

Anything designed with plastic in it for starters. The idea may have looked good on paper, then they set about using some cheap brittle stuff that snaps and cracks about a week after you buy it. We use plastic in everything now to cut corners. Must you use crappy, poorly manufactured stuff to boot?

#1063469 - 08/31/11 04:19 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: rhythmace47]
Starliner Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Florida - Dunnellon
Ditto. WAY too much plastic (crap-stic) used today, and not enough solid engineering and sound construction methods. Read that as "build a prototype, revise it as often as necessary to refine it, and test the hell out of it BEFORE production... not just running a damn computer simulation."

Also, better QA, and keep the bean counters out of engineering and production decisions.

Starliner

#1063478 - 08/31/11 05:24 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: AL]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
+1 on all of Popmann's points.
To take it a little further, if I had virtually zero latency on my 1680 fourteen or so years ago (and the ADAT about 20 years ago), you'd think we could have zero latency on a PC in 2011.

On that note: replacement for midi that I could use with my guitar that had zero latency triggering notes.

Wireless headphones that didn't sound like crap.
Bluetooth headphones that didn't sound like crap.

How about:

Perpetual motion motors.

Effective use of the wheels/wind/solar to power or partially power cars (as the wheels turn they could generate energy, could have large air intakes to use wind, etc).

Material for streets that could expand and contract and not get pot holes from the elements every year.

Material for clothes that truly never wrinkled and never needed ironing. Oh, it would be nice if it folded itself too \:D

Affordable to retro fit systems to capture heat during the summer to turn into energy (even if it's just to heat my hot water) and capture the cold during the winter (even if it's to keep my food and water chilled).

Indoor plumbing system for pets. There's a reason we taught our daughter to use the potty, just one is that we didn't want to have to clean up her crap for the rest of her life......I'm tired of doing it for a couple of animals. \:\)

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1063517 - 08/31/11 12:23 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: MadGuitrst]
GiveMeApps Offline
Planeteer

Loc: New York, NY
Well outside of the timer, don't want to say that it can't be done, but it seems like a big deal to notice the difference between different types of Turkey (for example), if it was already cooked prior, being re-cooked, the exact size, what areas are undercooked.

We're not talking watering a lawn you know!

#1063598 - 08/31/11 03:43 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: GiveMeApps]
FlametopFred_Redux_Part_4 Offline
Planeteer

Every time I am at a good garage sale or flea market, it's always the old (well made) stuff that catches my eye.

Whether it is a workshop item: saw, hammer, wrenches - or something from the kitchen: old blender, etc - - - those things were just fine. Well made, designed by end users.

I don't like (and use) old stuff because I love the past. The past is just built better.
Better materials and usually hand-made in the USA.

How did Dick Cheney and Karl Rove win?

#1063604 - 08/31/11 03:51 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: FlametopFred_Redux_Part_4]
FlametopFred_Redux_Part_4 Offline
Planeteer

I do wish the Roland VS technology was better

#1063638 - 08/31/11 04:56 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: FlametopFred_Redux_Part_4]
Popmann Online   content
Loquacious Planeteer

Quote:
To take it a little further, if I had virtually zero latency on my 1680 fourteen or so years ago (and the ADAT about 20 years ago), you'd think we could have zero latency on a PC in 2011.

You, of course know that the answer to that is in the use of hardware not designed for audio production. All these years, my understanding of the architecture and design considerations being made were my biggest obejection. Did you read my recent rant on SF about "where the digital revolution got off track"?

It was spurred by being annoyed that we're constantly told "that's fixed/better in the new version"--yet, really, not so much. It's a marketing device to render reviews of a product "outdated and useless". Thus we keep getting the same basic tech...repackaged...made compatible with newer versions of things...newer GUIs...where actually showed improvement with every generation. Look at the Vs. Was a 5 years between the first 880 and the 2480? Look at the across the board improvements. Then look (and listen) to cubase4 and Waves plugs from 5 years ago...versus C6 and their later round of v8 plugs requiring a new version of iLok, etc.

I hesitate to use the specific examples, because there are others that have vastly improved, BECAUSE they didn't start out as good...but, the point is, inva now decade of software dominated audio production and synth/samplers, I don't see much improvement. Certainly not ten years of fast moving tech's worth. And i attribute that to the shift in consumer culture-new models used to need to improve on previous models...now they can mostly just improve compatibility and stability. There are more factors in the rant...but...I won't hijack here...

#1063722 - 08/31/11 11:57 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: Popmann]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

If there are any good plastic design (chemistry) engineers out there, you'd never know it (as Starliner suggests too) because their ideas are lost in production, cost cutting overrides, and bad decisions that obviously trump their ideas. A shame really.

It must suck to have a great idea, then see that idea demolished when they begin to crunch the numbers and turn out crap. I'm sure (from what I've seen in manufacturing) that the engineers are the first ones they run to the minute something goes wrong.
I'm more than sure! I've witnessed it.

#1063738 - 09/01/11 01:48 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: rhythmace47]
airproofing Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Minnesota
Besides medical technology, I wish someone would make a USB port for my 2480. Burning disks to get anything in or out of the machine is killin' me.

Bruce M.

"Do you expect me to talk? No Mr. Bond I expect you to die."

#1063752 - 09/01/11 02:14 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: airproofing]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

I think some technology has reached a certain saturation point. One of the reasons HP has decided to (?) get out of the pc business.

They are lining up to sell stuff for at least $500 that probably cost $50 to build. It's all about a very hard sell now. It's a product that gets put out now without much thought to everything that's out there already and looking for profits that people can kind of see thru as being BS. It's not about apps either. Overkill there. They are killing each other.

Would you have paid this much for a telephone in your house years ago? Technology is boring and overpriced. The real price is what it will cost you to run it and (as usual) service it.
Geez, what don't they get about that???

#1063851 - 09/01/11 02:35 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: rhythmace47]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
Yeah Pop......just think: the 1680 was what, a 386 or equivalant? Imagine today's horsepwer being designed to do on thing and do it right. Of course, Roland always jumps in with one foot, sideways, inside out and upside down.......and often using yesterdays processors and some quirky gimmicktry to compensate (data compression, etc......and not just their recorders....their sound modules, etc. too).

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1063995 - 09/01/11 11:04 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: MadGuitrst]
Popmann Online   content
Loquacious Planeteer

I don't know...it was certainly RISC--that's how hardware doesn't really equate. I will say it would easily do what well appointed PPC G3 and P2s (the cutting edge computers of the time) could not. If memory serves, I think they had a seperate chip that was dedicated to real time RDAC encode/decode...which was actually a genius way to get around the drive thorughput restrictions of the time. Those PC systems did NOT do 24bit well at ALL because of the drives...let alone the laptop drives like the 1680 used. Their mistake was keeping it in subsequent machines after those bottlenecks had mostly gone away. I don't think it was the RDAC that sounded bad, myself...but, still...big marketing error if nothing else.

that's always been my thing...if you know PC hardware, you know that dedicated engineered hardware at any given point in time will outperform a PC ten fold. The very fact that they are "jacks of all trades" makes them masters of none. Until the tech involved SO outstrips the need of the application that it becomes sort of irrelevant. But, newer OSs and GUIs and such extend that longer than need be.

So, yes, if someone built a stand alone machine today...with all 96k RADAR caliber conversion...you could still use a variation of an iNtel chip if need be--but, you'd actually probably be better off with several lesser powered intel and SHARC chips doing various dedicated tasks...vintage gear models built in...you literally COULD have a "mini SSL" or "mini Neve"...for say $5k. Put a backup bay with a SATA connector...and some little flash ROM for the driver so it could be updated use a removable second HD, USB adapter, DVD-RW, BluRay--whatever backup tech.

Ahh...oh well...

#1064079 - 09/02/11 10:06 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: Popmann]
GiveMeApps Offline
Planeteer

Loc: New York, NY
Now come to think of it, wireless data transfer

WE WISH ALL USB and FIREWIRE were now COMPLETELY WIRLESS AND RELIABLE!

#1064117 - 09/02/11 01:40 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: rhythmace47]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Originally Posted By: rhythmace47

Would you have paid this much for a telephone in your house years ago?

A telephone in your house. What a cool idea!

#1064245 - 09/03/11 12:50 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: AL]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

Ha ha! I'm just an old fart...what can I say? \:\) But technology has been kind of cracking me up for a few years now. Not necessarily because I can't keep up, but because eventually it's more fun sitting on the sideline watching the rest try to keep up. I love the spin being put on these new inventions. It's driving some people crazy.

Where do you want this to go? Seriously. There's a serious problem in space now with thousands of junk parts orbiting the earth that never gets addressed and we're just going to keep sending more junk up there? There's never any realistic solutions for all the problems we keep creating for ourselves.
We pollute the hell out of our environment and not being satisfied with that we shoot stuff into space that only adds to that. All because the only thing that's left to market anymore are silly little plastic toys for people to run around with thinking they are so connected. The jokes on us huh? \:\(

#1064247 - 09/03/11 12:56 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: rhythmace47]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

It seems to me we have the technology to make much bigger strides when it comes to life on earth and yet we choose to slog thru the mud with a new entertainment device. Go figure.

$$$ It's all about that...all the time.

#1064388 - 09/03/11 02:59 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: rhythmace47]
ulank Offline
Forum Person
Planeteer

Loc: Chicago, IL
Of course it is. Pretty tough to make anything new without money.

And yes, the construct of unnecessarily, overly rapid "innovation" (use that term loosely) doesn't exist without gobs of consumer sponges who love their gadgets and gizmos and will shoot each other over video game consoles. The collective consumer effectively begs for "new & improved" to be continually bestowed upon him. We pretty much suck.

#1064704 - 09/05/11 03:36 AM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: ulank]
rhythmace47 Offline
Planeteer/Artist 208
Planeteer

The problem with cyber space (not so much here at all) is the spam by a bunch of cowboys who think this is the new frontier for spam. Couple that with an economy that sucks.

I certainly don't measure it? But I think more than 50% of tv and radio is advertising spam. Actually, I think it has gone beyond that. So you're sitting there. Watching. Waiting for one single break from that.

They have to be discounting fees to advertisers. Hence, the upswing there.

It won't be long before your ads get in the way of programming? Get a clue. No people listening or watching and you lose your ad base? I don't think you get it?

Hello? Advertisers are not about promoting something you need. Only something they want to sell. They don't seem to understand there's a huge, huge difference.

Ads on the cheap. Beyond plenty.
Probably not something I would even consider. What can't you figure out about that? You and your products are...not worth consideration.

#1064743 - 09/05/11 01:39 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: rhythmace47]
GAMBLE Offline
Planeteer

Quote:
They disabled the Ethernet ports and the USB port so as to lock the machine in to their movie and tv series Store.

They didn't disable them. They were never enabled in the first place and in fact (typically) they wouldn't be able to even if they wanted to as those ports are likely just on the box but not actually attached or even able to be attached to anything internally. They just buy these boxes wholesale from places like China and whats on them is whats on them....what they put inside and therefore what you can use is a different story.

Pretty much any hardware you get from a cable/satellite provider is going to have one or more ports on the box that doesn't do anything. It has a kind of evil psychological effect when you see ports on a box that don't do anything.

Could they design the stuff so all that worked? Sure. They could also have a box built that exactly reflects the functionality and then people would never notice anything in the first place. I would imagine though it's cheaper just to buy something prefabricated if it will do what you want it to.

As for those Ethernet ports....a lot of times they do work. However, they are only designed for attaching a hand held diagnostic gadget.

#1064835 - 09/05/11 05:03 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: GAMBLE]
kendall Offline
Planeteer

Loc: amsterdam, netherlands
 Originally Posted By: GAMBLE
 Quote:
They disabled the Ethernet ports and the USB port so as to lock the machine in to their movie and tv series Store.

They didn't disable them. They were never enabled in the first place and in fact (typically) they wouldn't be able to even if they wanted to as those ports are likely just on the box but not actually attached or even able to be attached to anything internally.

According to specs on my machine the ports are there, wired and ready but can be disabled at the discretion of the service provider via software... Which they were, but with a note that they may be used in the future.

#1064894 - 09/05/11 08:47 PM Re: technology you wish was better [Re: FlametopFred_Redux_Part_4]
C Jo Go Offline
EMERITUS ~ VS Roland
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: carmel valley,ca
Just to be able to organize songs would be wonderful --- on the VS ... without having to transfer to a PC .

Edited by C Jo Go*Crystal Studios* (09/05/11 09:12 PM)

Page 1 of 1 1

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
String Jammer
Xenophile
Dave Morris
T57Strat
slotz
GAMBLE
Jammer
Liquidirt
SteveW
JazAddict
motown59
GAWZDigitalUnderground
Geo
Hano
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159732 Topics
1849450 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.018 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Zlib compression disabled.