Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
#1463016 - 04/22/16 05:45 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: motown59]
MadGuitrst Offline
Planeteer

Loc: 3rd Stone From The Sun
 Originally Posted By: motown59
His band is called the San Miguel Five!!

Soon to be named the San Miguel Four.

"Seek first to understand, then to be understood."
- Dr. Stephen R. Covey

#1463019 - 04/22/16 05:54 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: motown59]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Walmartville
The Planeteers get more weaselly every day. I can't believe Moose posts an interesting bit of gossip and a bunch of people rise to defend Doc Severinson. Gimme a break.

#1463020 - 04/22/16 05:58 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: AL]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Loc: California
 Originally Posted By: Al
Gimme a break.

sure. Why don't you take a time out..

"I love what you guys are trying to do up there" ...from an audience member at one of my gigs.
Gear: Fender Medium pick

#1463021 - 04/22/16 05:59 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: motown59]
Mooseboy Offline
That's "MR. Asshole" to you, buddy!
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Black Mountain Hills of Dakota
Y'know, I'm pretty sure that Al isn't on Doc Severinsen's call list.

Gimme a break indeed!

#1463023 - 04/22/16 06:03 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: MadGuitrst]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: San Miguel de Allende, Mexico ...
"Now that I challenge you to actually find the facts, you pull back."

I don't understand you, moose. Find what facts? I've said a few times that I know a a few people (very well) who have played with him recently and for several years--I guess they started about 8 years ago. Of course we've talked about the gig with Doc--we're all friends and some of them play in my groups as well. The bassist is my current bassist and the drummer was his percussionist for a couple of years. I've told you this. They either liked or loved him and dug playing with him. This is a small town--if he had been an asshole, certainly the musician community would be all over it.

My in-laws and other friends socialized with him and his wife a ton as well. And like i said, my mentor loved him as far back as the '50s and '60s and played with him a lot.

And yes, he's 88 now. He and his wife still have a house here--she's a fairly accomplished painter--but I think he's spending most of his time on the road or in the states now.

Here's a video of one version of the group he took on tour a few years ago--only one of this group is from San Miguel, the guitarist with whom I played a lot when I first got here and with whom I actually might do a duo concert later this year.

I don't really care for the music, but that's beside the point.

You said: "It's not one gig…"

Here is your opening post, moose:

"One of my best, most honest, sanest friends just gave me a half hour rundown on the absolutely batshit-out-of-his-fucking-mind-ranting-lunatic behavior of Doc at a show last weekend."

Sounds like it's one gig to me. What, now you're claiming that your friend plays with him regularly? Why would he?

You say you aren't 'trashing' Doc. Take a close look at your trash-talking comments again and tell me I'm wrong to get that impression:

"...the absolutely batshit-out-of-his-fucking-mind-ranting-lunatic behavior of Doc…"

"nobody tours with Doc anymore because of his erratic and abusive behavior."

That's not 'trashing' the guy? Really?

I believe Gil (the guitarist in that video) stopped touring with Doc because he opened two music venues down here and he doesn't want to live on the road anymore.

My most pointed comment towards you was that I found it kind of creepy that you were so gleeful about spreading bad news about Doc. My response was that he had a good reputation with my friends who worked with him extensively, but that maybe he's getting senile or having problems with meds. Not a single rumor of bad behavior within the musician community here, though, so it must be recent if it's real.

My in-laws and other older friends have socialized with him and his wife and they liked them both. I suggested he might have had a bad night, or your friend might have been wrong, or he might be losing it. All of those seem possible.

None of that seems defensive or inappropriate to me. And I still think it's creepy of you--you're just a little too passionate about spreading the word. Realistically, I'm probably the only one Doc might call for a gig on this forum, simply due to the combination of local connections, proximity and professionalism in jazz. I'd take the gig.

You thought that story about Chuck Berry was 'trashing him'? Lol. You'd say anything at this point because you're hot and bothered. I think it's a great story and doesn't reflect badly on him at all.

#1463028 - 04/22/16 06:11 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: Jazzooo]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

I wouldn't play with that schmuck by choice.

#1463029 - 04/22/16 06:18 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: AL]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

"I love what you guys are trying to do up there" ...from an audience member at one of my gigs.

#1463030 - 04/22/16 06:22 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: motown59]
flatcat Administrator Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Loc: Westborough, MA, USA
This might be the silliest thread on VS-Planet in ages.

Professor Truth T. Sweetness says,"Mind your manners!"

#1463031 - 04/22/16 06:25 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: flatcat]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Just tryin' to live up to my usual standards. And so is Doug \:D

But the funniest part is watching him fuck himself by talking about Chuck Berry in the exact same sense that I'm talking about Doc Severinsen.

Somehow Doug's own rules don't apply to himself.

#1463036 - 04/22/16 07:08 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: motown59]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

What SlowClown, are you that much of a suckass that you'd play with anybody famous regardless if you hated their music?

#1463038 - 04/22/16 07:26 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: AL]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Mary Samsonite = Chuck Berry

Edited by motown59 (04/22/16 07:31 PM)

#1463040 - 04/22/16 07:30 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: AL]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

"But the funniest part is watching him fuck himself by talking about Chuck Berry in the exact same sense that I'm talking about Doc Severinsen."

You're really reaching. The Chuck Berry story is not disrespectful at all. No one here thinks I was trying to 'warn' people about Berry. Lol. Berry is a legendary cat and a bandleader who (rightly) expects pickup players to know his catalog, period.

You were trying to make Doc out to be a 'batshit-out-of-his-fucking-mind-ranting-lunatic " who is "erratic and abusive."

Big difference. You just got called on a little snarky and mean-spirited celebrity gossip, that's all. And of course Al has your back--he likes that stuff too.

#1463042 - 04/22/16 07:33 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: Jazzooo]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Moose got some info and he was passing it on, it strikes me as really stupid that you'd be selling your soul on this thread to
"Doc".

Then again I've watched you flounder in defense of Yoko too, it must be your calling.

#1463044 - 04/22/16 07:35 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: AL]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

"it strikes me as really stupid that you'd be selling your soul on this thread to
"Doc"."

Can you show me what I said that makes you feel that way?

And fwiw I don't defend yoko--I make fun of your obsession with her. I don't know anything about her, but I do know that you're kind of a "negative fanboy" in her case and I find that…interesting.

#1463045 - 04/22/16 07:47 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: Jazzooo]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

well why fight over Severinson. More likely than not this is legit info Moose is passing on, why go out on a limb for something so stupid?

#1463046 - 04/22/16 07:57 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: AL]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

How did I 'go out on a limb'? I never said it couldn't be true. I immediately said that he's old, possibly senile and maybe his meds are causing a problem…or maybe his friend was wrong. But Moose was too enthusiastic for me about it. Seems a little ugly and creepy to me and I said so, especially since the guy has a great reputation, both here where he lives and in the music industry. That's all. Unfortunately for us all, I know people here who are close to him and they had nothing similar to say about him so…there ya go.

#1463050 - 04/22/16 08:06 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: Jazzooo]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Ahaaaaahahaaa! Isn't he cute when he's losing, folks?

Jazzy, you immediately fucked yourself out of your "holier than thou" position when you jumped on the "trash Chuck Berry" bandwagon with your second hand information.

You're tripping over your own dick now, pal. Might as well back out of this conversation.

#1463051 - 04/22/16 08:09 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: Memphis Monroe]
Slabraton Offline
Planeteer

Originally Posted By: Gretsch 6120
 Originally Posted By: Jazzooo
Friend of mine told me a great Chuck Berry story, I believe from the gig he was on but I could be wrong. Chuck showed up five minutes before the gig, ready to go. No rehearsal, no small talk. my friend shook his hand and said "so what are we playing tonight?" Thinking he would get a set list. Chuck looked at him and said "we're playing Chuck Berry music, motherfucker!" And launched into Johnny be Goode.

That's basically the gist of what Steve shared with us in the band too, minus the "mother fucker" details, although I'm sure Chuck banters that epithet around all the time. There's no rehearsals, no set lists, etc....of course, his stuff is almost exclusively 1-IV-V and no problem to hold down for a pro....

It's always up to the promoter to provide the band and a Fender amp. Chuck Berry flies to the gig with his guitar, gets a room and car near the airport and never shows up until the last possible moment (which always makes the promoter nervous as it's supposed to). Berry immediately demands payment in cash and performs with the money in his coat pocket.

The audience is still clapping for encores while he's driving away.

#1463055 - 04/22/16 08:22 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: Slabraton]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

Yep. People like playing with Chuck Berry, too. I hope I get the chance one day.

#1463066 - 04/22/16 08:59 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: Jazzooo]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

My friend Ted here in Riverside did a Chuck Berry gig. It went just as you stated Slab. The band got stiffed however, Ted didn't care. It's on his memories list now.

#1463071 - 04/22/16 09:18 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: motown59]
Jazzooo Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

The story I heard that supposedly shaped Chuck Berry's attitude and policy early on was when he got his first number one record. The record label president handed him the keys to a brand-new Cadillac as a bonus. Berry apparently drove it for two months and then to his horror it was repossessed, since it was only being leased and the record company stopped the payments.

#1463094 - 04/22/16 10:54 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: Slabraton]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
 Originally Posted By: Slabraton
It's always up to the promoter to provide the band and a Fender amp. Chuck Berry flies to the gig with his guitar, gets a room and car near the airport and never shows up until the last possible moment (which always makes the promoter nervous as it's supposed to). Berry immediately demands payment in cash and performs with the money in his coat pocket.

The audience is still clapping for encores while he's driving away.

I have some good friends who did one of these gigs, so I guess it's still a 2nd hand story. It went down almost like Slab described, except that when Berry and his bodyguard arrived at the packed house 5 minutes before showtime, he refused to go on until the owner paid him an extra $10K in cash because he didn't have exactly the same amp that was called out in the contract... which is nearly impossible to find because there are only like 20 of them in existence. Something like a white Dual Showman with built-in reverb. The club had found one without the built-in reverb, but had found a matching external reverb for it.

#1463095 - 04/22/16 10:56 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: Jazzooo]
villainvomit Offline
Planeteer

Loc: vavilov crater - far side of t...
Wait....CB gets to the gig five minutes early to collect cash for the gig, puts it in his pocket, no set list, tells the band we are playing CB music motherfucker, lays it down and leaves ?

Now that is a rock star right there !

Hell yes !

#1463112 - 04/23/16 12:16 AM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: villainvomit]
Mooseboy Offline
Loquacious Planeteer

So I guess I'm changing the name of this hijacked thread! \:D

#1463123 - 04/23/16 01:56 AM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: Mooseboy]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

Chuck Berry wouldn't go over too well at the Planet, as he openly believes in his talent.

#1463125 - 04/23/16 02:03 AM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: AL]
fabulousthunderbird Offline
Planeteer

You couldn't lick Chuck Berry's boots.

I am fonts

#1463128 - 04/23/16 02:24 AM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: fabulousthunderbird]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

You =would= lick em.

#1463147 - 04/23/16 04:06 AM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: AL]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Chuck Berry wouldn't go over too well at the Planet, as he openly believes in his talent.

Not so fast. He has some

#1463156 - 04/23/16 07:41 AM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: motown59]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

he's still breaking the unwritten rules of Planet old guys without a life.

#1463164 - 04/23/16 01:02 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: AL]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

well, you can create unwritten rules for yourself all day Al, but hoping everyone should abide them as vehemently as you would be optimistic at best.

Edited by motown59 (04/23/16 01:26 PM)

#1463167 - 04/23/16 01:19 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: motown59]
Xenophile Offline
Planeteer

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
You guys all just want to suck on Doc Berry's stinky old-man wiener. So there!

#1463170 - 04/23/16 01:34 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: motown59]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

well, you can create unwritten rules for yourself all day Al, but hoping everyone should abide them as vehemently as you would be optimistic at best.

Yours are stupid and need replaced.

#1463171 - 04/23/16 01:41 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: AL]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Yours are stupid and need replaced.

Said in the voice of an 11 year old girl...

#1463172 - 04/23/16 01:49 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: motown59]
AL Offline
the last rock hope
Loquacious Planeteer

You see me as a girl? I knew you were a sicko.

#1463175 - 04/23/16 02:08 PM Re: DO NOT take a gig with Doc Severinsen! [Re: AL]
motown59 Offline
Planeteer/Artist # 238
Planeteer

Just your attitude Al.

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Hop to:
Top Posters
AL
Ismellelephant
Jazzooo
Timster
Silversmith
Mooseboy
C Jo Go
Popmann
Tom Mix
moontan
gonzo
flatcat
NOK
Memphis Monroe
Doughboy
Marty Gilman
RGR
fabulousthunderbird
paulb
Vanillagrits
fonts
MadGuitrst
ulank
glensimonds
vvvm
Forum Stats
21370 Members
26 Forums
159842 Topics
1850533 Posts

Max Online: 386 @ 01/18/23 04:57 AM
Newest Members
AncientJuan, jairo santos, drshum, Selfish, VSDeadHead77
21370 Registered Users

Generated in 0.019 seconds in which 0.004 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression disabled.